FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > Moving to France

Moving to France

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi all

I'm looking to put away my chef knives and retiring probably within the next 3 to 4 years.. so looking to move to the South West regions of France, although thats not set in stone.

What im interested in knowing in your opion which are the prettiest regions.

My vision is alfresco dining with beautiful views whilst enjoying mild winters and warm summers

Cheers for any feedback x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Where we are in Herault/aude has great beaches, food and wine and some beautiful villages.

I am sure you have checked but post brexit ensure you have the right paperwork and entitlements

By *exy BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde

As above…

Herault and Aude both have great coastlines and enough towns and cities to keep you occupied.

Suspect you’ll get similar replies from folk who have settled in other departments…!!

We all have our favourite areas.

By *exy BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde

[Removed by poster at 22/02/22 16:58:05]

By *kiguy1234Man  over a year ago

Newport

Lived there for 6 years in depth 17.. 3 years ok 3 years hating every second..unless you fit in with the French and speak it you will end up in little Britain..

Thank you all for your input.

I've done a little research regarding paperwork but i'm sure that may all change before i take the plunge... I will take a little trip on my next leave and now restrictions are easing.

"Lived there for 6 years in depth 17.. 3 years ok 3 years hating every second..unless you fit in with the French and speak it you will end up in little Britain.."

That’s the same for moving to any country that speaks a different language Isn’t it?

By *istalloverCouple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

Hi as Skiguy above says

For a better life here learn some French .we are not fluent but get by ,might be a good idea to try before you buy in a few areas. rent before buying.

With Brit clicks a good rule to follow is

If you wouldnt be friends with them in the uk ,why would you be friends in France

I am planning to learn the language to conversation standard at a minimum and I do have the luxury of having a few years before moving. Also I'm pretty socialable so I have no problem mixing with the locals and that will help with the language.

Visiting different areas is on the cards and renting sounds like a good option which I may explore

Thanks again everyone who has contributed to this thread

By *imousinguyMan  over a year ago

Limousin, France

"With Brit clicks a good rule to follow is

If you wouldnt be friends with them in the uk ,why would you be friends in France" Thats always been my thinking anywhere I've lived abroad. Also learning the language , even if it's only the basics to start with, is key to living in a non english speaking country.

"Hi as Skiguy above says

For a better life here learn some French .we are not fluent but get by ,might be a good idea to try before you buy in a few areas. rent before buying.

With Brit clicks a good rule to follow is

If you wouldnt be friends with them in the uk ,why would you be friends in France

"

I agree entirely with you. I have never visited English style pubs in France or played darts there - I don’t in England so why would I in France?

Very easy to live away from U.K. ghettos in France but you do need enough French to get by.

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

Been living near Cap d'Agde for more than 6 years and perfectly adjusted to this environment.

Indeed we've seen nothing but blue skies so far this year or seen any rain since last year.

The area I live has many anglophones, some Brits but a lot of Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch etc. and I rarely need to speak French.

Although having a French partner and children fluently bilingual I have little aptitude for the language which has never risen above basic.

So unless you are somewhat proficient in French I think it best to look for a similar area to the Cap.

Otherwise, despite your best efforts, you may find yourself somewhat isolated.

Every one is different in many different ways and obviously one of those ways is opinions .

Everyone’s life journeys take different paths at different speeds with different hurdles to overcome or problems to solve.

The only advice that I personally would offer you OP is to make the move and make it sooner rather than later.

Buckle up and enjoy both the ride and your life!!!!

Best of luck.

Oh and “coffee break French” is a good learning tool if you are a bit of a dufus like me!!!!!

T

By *caredstiffMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Great advice.

By *w_cuckCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

We are looking to retire in 5 years and this year we plan to visit tarn et gerrone on our way to cap dagde as a potential area to settle.

We want to be able to grow vegetables so need an area where its not too dry in the summer

"We are looking to retire in 5 years and this year we plan to visit tarn et gerrone on our way to cap dagde as a potential area to settle.

We want to be able to grow vegetables so need an area where its not too dry in the summer "

With the effects of global warming I’m not sure you can rely on previous weather to predict future weather.

By *w_cuckCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"We are looking to retire in 5 years and this year we plan to visit tarn et gerrone on our way to cap dagde as a potential area to settle.

We want to be able to grow vegetables so need an area where its not too dry in the summer

With the effects of global warming I’m not sure you can rely on previous weather to predict future weather. "

That is very true but its all we have right now, we are hoping if we locate to midi pyrenees area then we might get some rain from time to time

» Add a new message to this topic