FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > The English language

The English language

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ouraine OP   Couple  over a year ago

Blois, France

We got an e-mail at work saying that due to our performance this year we’re each going to get a softshell, embroidered with the company logo. My colleagues wanted to know what a softshell is – No idea ! The word didn’t exist when I lived in the UK. Anyway, it turned out to be a fleece waistcoat.

This happens quite often; English is evolving, but as I’m no longer a UK citizen, keeping up and just speaking English is getting more difficult. The last time I went to visit my Mum, some adolescents were talking about Feds, apparently that’s what coppers are called now. Also, Funky no longer means wearing hip trousers whilst carrying a huge stereo and listening to the Commodores, it means something that smells bad. I still don’t know what unicorns, ghosts and gaslighters are..

Have any of you other French residents experienced this ? The trouble is that I’ve been here long enough that the French language has evolved too. Emmanuelle’s 21 year old daughter told me off for saying Sympatoch, “it makes you sound like a pensioner, just say sympa !” It’s a word I learned here a while ago but apparently, it’s not cool anymore.

I brought the softshell home and Emmanuelle adopted it, its just a ‘gilet’ to her.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The mature British people have trouble keeping up with the English language so you're not on your own !

By *eachcplCouple  over a year ago

blackpool/preston/normandy france

We remember when the word sick meant you were unwell. Clearly we are too old and normal

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

We love the way language evolves. Not just English and French although that's obviously the ones we hear more about. Or not, as the OP has discovered...!

English words have crept into France over the years despite the misgivings of the older generation. The French kids love using the latest additions to their language in much the same way as Brit kids enjoy using Americanisms.

I remember using 'cool' and 'groovy' while growing up only for them to disappear for decades and then suddenly resurface and appear as... well, cool and groovy...!

It's what's kept the English language evolving for centuries so it's nothing to fear.

But for us older folk, keeping up with it all is difficult especially if you don't have youngsters living at home with you.

And on another note, why are there 25 definitions of woke. Means different things to different folk!

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

It's taken a while for my French wife to get used to new vocabulary in France after living in the UK for over 30 years, she still gets told though that she has an English accent which she speaks her native language!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The thing the we notice most is for people to use the word "literally" in every 2nd sentence. Everything is literally this and literally that.

Why people feel the need to add this word in all the time is very puzzling indeed.

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

Feds is probably because of that TV show "Top Boy"

By *istalloverCouple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

It's cuz dey tork with an axent innit btuv .

» Add a new message to this topic