FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > French employment advice

French employment advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Do any of you wonderful people have any knowledge of French employment law and practice?

I am trying to understand the application of short term and permanent contracts and RTT.

Thank you.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Do any of you wonderful people have any knowledge of French employment law and practice?

I am trying to understand the application of short term and permanent contracts and RTT.

Thank you."

we only know the rules from a self employment point. But it is very complex and we would never employ anyone as a result. The cottisation is pretty high and here the employer pays health care for the whole family!! As a co-proprietor (own apt) we have a caretaker who does the pool and garden's etc his pay is 20k, but his health, pension, etc is 50k! We have read that employees are not hiring Brits at the moment as a result of brexit?

By *istalloverCouple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

We are lucky enough to be in employment .only part time but all depends on your occupation and the governing body.not sure of RTT

Rsi ,Msa etc.

there is work available ,our local travail office had 6 jobs going on our last visit.an English and translated French cv should do the trick.

My best advice is get covered for health.

carte vitale and top up is very important here.

an E111 card is very basic and covers sod all.

an ambulance trip alone can be over 1k without treatment etc.

Good luck in what your doing and hope it helps

"Do any of you wonderful people have any knowledge of French employment law and practice?

Thank you.

we only know the rules from a self employment point. But it is very complex and we would never employ anyone as a result. The cottisation is pretty high and here the employer pays health care for the whole family!! As a co-proprietor (own apt) we have a caretaker who does the pool and garden's etc his pay is 20k, but his health, pension, etc is 50k! We have read that employees are not hiring Brits at the moment as a result of brexit? "

Gosh! I didn't realise the health payment is for the whole family. It puts the salary element into perspective.

"We are lucky enough to be in employment .only part time but all depends on your occupation and the governing body.not sure of RTT

Rsi ,Msa etc.

there is work available ,our local travail office had 6 jobs going on our last visit.an English and translated French cv should do the trick.

My best advice is get covered for health.

carte vitale and top up is very important here.

an E111 card is very basic and covers sod all.

an ambulance trip alone can be over 1k without treatment etc.

Good luck in what your doing and hope it helps"

Thanks. I'm not applying for work but potentially offering work (on someone's behalf).

Thank you."

RTT = Réduction du temps de travail, its our 35 hour working week. Some companies apply a genuine 35 hour week, most, like our employer have a 40 hour week so each week we generate 5 hours of paid leave which accumulates and is taken off in whole weeks. We have 10 weeks paid holiday per here.

A fixed term contract is called a CDD - contrat à durée déterminée. A full contract is a CDI - contrat à durée indéterminée. A temporary worker is called an intérimaire. Working part time is travail à mi-temps.

Thank you.

RTT = Réduction du temps de travail, its our 35 hour working week. Some companies apply a genuine 35 hour week, most, like our employer have a 40 hour week so each week we generate 5 hours of paid leave which accumulates and is taken off in whole weeks. We have 10 weeks paid holiday per here.

A fixed term contract is called a CDD - contrat à durée déterminée. A full contract is a CDI - contrat à durée indéterminée. A temporary worker is called an intérimaire. Working part time is travail à mi-temps."

Thank you - that helps me find appropriate information.

Thank you.

Hello,

If you want any information on that subject you can contact me

A fixed term contract is called a CDD - contrat à durée déterminée. A full contract is a CDI - contrat à durée indéterminée. A temporary worker is called an intérimaire. Working part time is travail à mi-temps.

Thank you - that helps me find appropriate information.

"

By *exy BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde

It's easy to see why so many residents work for 'black' money, ie. not making declaration of earnings..

Macron is wanting legislation to make things a lot more difficult for employers to hire and fire, as it had become easier under Hollande.

But France will still bumble along as it has done for the past 50 years....!

"It's easy to see why so many residents work for 'black' money, ie. not making declaration of earnings..

Macron is wanting legislation to make things a lot more difficult for employers to hire and fire, as it had become easier under Hollande.

"

doesn't mean it's right? It's no different to those "economic migrants " in the UK undercutting UK nationals. The same resentment applies here too!

As for Macron I thought he was trying to make it easier to hire and fire?

Agde

Certainly wasn't trying to suggest that it's right.

Just that it seems a big problem in France, hence the attempts by various governments to try to make the system easier for people to pay their way through the system.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

"It's easy to see why so many residents work for 'black' money, ie. not making declaration of earnings..

"

Macron's proposals are being made to make it much easier to hire and fire, not more difficult.

He is trying to make the whole employment system simpler, and to make it easier to change jobs.

It's complicated ( and expensive) to hire employees if you are a small business.

He also is trying to simplify the different social security and retirement systems. And ease the working week restrictions.

He is also trying to simplify the system for setting up your own business/ self employment.

Agde

That's what we understood from his election campaign, but we were talking to some friends who supported him and they seemed to think that he was making things more difficult.

Employers have been loath to take on new staff as it's been expensive to hire and difficult to fire.

Let's hope things move on the right direction....

"That's what we understood from his election campaign, but we were talking to some friends who supported him and they seemed to think that he was making things more difficult.

Employers have been loath to take on new staff as it's been expensive to hire and difficult to fire.

Let's hope things move on the right direction.... "

Looking in to this, from here and not really knowing enough, it seems almost impossible to fire people. The ability to return to court and claim it was unfair, or they were forced to quit, has no limits to it.

People must get fired or made redundant, surely?

By *rishjohn2013Man  over a year ago

newry norther ireland

Consider this ,u employ someone pay salary insurance holidays etc and they then don't even turn up for work, send u sick note u still pay full salary ,this went on for 6 months ,just had to stop paying ,so I did ,then special police came said they would arrest me if I didn't restore payments and story gets even worse as it goes on.

"Consider this ,u employ someone pay salary insurance holidays etc and they then don't even turn up for work, send u sick note u still pay full salary ,this went on for 6 months ,just had to stop paying ,so I did ,then special police came said they would arrest me if I didn't restore payments and story gets even worse as it goes on."

Blimey!

If anyone has managed to sack someone in France, please post.

London and France

"Consider this ,u employ someone pay salary insurance holidays etc and they then don't even turn up for work, send u sick note u still pay full salary ,this went on for 6 months ,just had to stop paying ,so I did ,then special police came said they would arrest me if I didn't restore payments and story gets even worse as it goes on.

Blimey!

"

I don't do business here; but my French friends who are business owners have had no problems. They have hired and fired several people.You just have to follow the procedures for warnings. Plus write their employment contracts properly to ensure that hours, responsibilities, performance and behaviour are properly defined.

If you've done your home work properly, it's actually easier to fire employees in France, than in UK.

London and France

[Removed by poster at 06/06/17 22:45:08]

"Consider this ,u employ someone pay salary insurance holidays etc and they then don't even turn up for work, send u sick note u still pay full salary ,this went on for 6 months ,just had to stop paying ,so I did ,then special police came said they would arrest me if I didn't restore payments and story gets even worse as it goes on.

Blimey!

I don't do business here; but my French friends who are business owners have had no problems. They have hired and fired several people.You just have to follow the procedures for warnings. Plus write their employment contracts properly to ensure that hours, responsibilities, performance and behaviour are properly defined.

If you've done your home work properly, it's actually easier to fire employees in France, than in UK."

Thank you.

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Make sure you do your homework, get a French friend to help you, understanding French systems is a nightmare and it's In French. Two things first get your Carte Vitale, can take up to 8 months to obtain, start learning French as you get bugger all anywhere without it.

The French love paperwork and have no reservations on the amount of paper they use. Anything you do get a dossier together because everyone wants the same info and they don't share information. Be prepared to photocopy in quadruple!

"Make sure you do your homework, get a French friend to help you, understanding French systems is a nightmare and it's In French. Two things first get your Carte Vitale, can take up to 8 months to obtain, start learning French as you get bugger all anywhere without it.

The French love paperwork and have no reservations on the amount of paper they use. Anything you do get a dossier together because everyone wants the same info and they don't share information. Be prepared to photocopy in quadruple! "

Thank you, this, I have learned, is true. My client is being good at getting me translators whenever I need one.

"Make sure you do your homework, get a French friend to help you, understanding French systems is a nightmare and it's In French. Two things first get your Carte Vitale, can take up to 8 months to obtain, start learning French as you get bugger all anywhere without it.

The French love paperwork and have no reservations on the amount of paper they use. Anything you do get a dossier together because everyone wants the same info and they don't share information. Be prepared to photocopy in quadruple! "

100% right it's a logistical nightmare! Just getting everything together for our carte de sejour. Killing the planet with paper lol.

» Add a new message to this topic