FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > GCSE French

GCSE French

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *evaquit OP   Couple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

A fishing style post tbh.

We're both looking to study A level French but obviously need a B grade at GCSE. We live near Birmingham and are desperate to learn GCSE French over one year to advance to our desired course; so we're asking you guys for any advice, ideally we don't want to go down the tutor route.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irm FoundationsMan  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

"A fishing style post tbh.

We're both looking to study A level French but obviously need a B grade at GCSE. We live near Birmingham and are desperate to learn GCSE French over one year to advance to our desired course; so we're asking you guys for any advice, ideally we don't want to go down the tutor route.

"

Hello . Instead of doing GCSE and A levels have you considered taking the DELF exams instead . ? The certificate is internationally recognised ( or should be by any company who need an independent assessment of your standard of French )

The Institut de Francais in London ( this organisation is part of the French government and the only thing that they do is teach French ) run a variety of distance learning programmes and also prepare you for the Delf exams ( there are various different levels )

I attending their evening classes for the last eighteen months and found the tuition to be excellent .

However I under estimated the amount of time which you need to put in in order to substantially improve and due to a change in work location ( plus a crisis with an ex partner where I had to stay at a different location in order to carry out a substantial amount of work ) I abandoned my last set of lessons after having attended five ( but paid for the full course )

Setting yourselves targets for exams is good as it gives you something to achieve .

Whether you can avoid the tuition route depends on how quickly you can learn , how disciplined you are and what you current knowledge is .

My progress was slow as I am not a quick learner ( but have always managed to pass a wide variety of )

I started trying to learn from a book but found progress to be non existent .

The advantage of tuition is that it gives you a target to focus on and interaction with other students .

If it is no longer practical for me to travel to the Institut de Francais ( which is located in South Kensington ) , I will enroll on one of their distance learning classes .

You might also want to consider one of their crash courses ( intensive tuition for a week etc )

I can read and understand French quite easily but my spoken and understanding or oral French is poor .

Using the contacts section of a French swingers site may not be the best way to sex. On a recent holiday to Cap d Agde I meet a French lay from Paris . The only problem was she wanted to practise English and I wanted to practise French . However we have stayed in contact and I will assist her when she is over in the UK for work and vice versa hopefully she will assist me when either in Cap d Agde or Paris .

Catthorpe

"A fishing style post tbh.

Hello . Instead of doing GCSE and A levels have you considered taking the DELF exams instead . ? The certificate is internationally recognised ( or should be by any company who need an independent assessment of your standard of French )

The Institut de Francais in London ( this organisation is part of the French government and the only thing that they do is teach French ) run a variety of distance learning programmes and also prepare you for the Delf exams ( there are various different levels )

I attending their evening classes for the last eighteen months and found the tuition to be excellent .

However I under estimated the amount of time which you need to put in in order to substantially improve and due to a change in work location ( plus a crisis with an ex partner where I had to stay at a different location in order to carry out a substantial amount of work ) I abandoned my last set of lessons after having attended five ( but paid for the full course )

Setting yourselves targets for exams is good as it gives you something to achieve .

Whether you can avoid the tuition route depends on how quickly you can learn , how disciplined you are and what you current knowledge is .

My progress was slow as I am not a quick learner ( but have always managed to pass a wide variety of )

I started trying to learn from a book but found progress to be non existent .

The advantage of tuition is that it gives you a target to focus on and interaction with other students .

If it is no longer practical for me to travel to the Institut de Francais ( which is located in South Kensington ) , I will enroll on one of their distance learning classes .

You might also want to consider one of their crash courses ( intensive tuition for a week etc )

I can read and understand French quite easily but my spoken and understanding or oral French is poor .

Using the contacts section of a French swingers site may not be the best way to sex. On a recent holiday to Cap d Agde I meet a French lay from Paris . The only problem was she wanted to practise English and I wanted to practise French . However we have stayed in contact and I will assist her when she is over in the UK for work and vice versa hopefully she will assist me when either in Cap d Agde or Paris .

"

We can't thank you enough for this, we knew there was something and it's exactly this. We've found courses off the back of this post and within the budget we'd set, booking us on the course Tuesday. We're on our way

By *s2funloversCouple  over a year ago

North Walsham and Spain

That is the best advice I've seen anywhere for a long time!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Can we suggest an app as a top up or practice?

It's called duolingo. You can pick it up and put it down when you want. Helps with pronunciation and you learn at your pace.

Worked for us.

By *awty MaxWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

App -

You also have Babbel.

You can unlock some lessons without paying for the whole thing.

YouTube -

has many learning videos you can use

DVDs -

look at the back of your DVDs and see if they have French. You can then play the movie with or without English subtitles. The ideal is to use a movie you know very very well and play it in French without English subtitles as they don't always match.

Radio -

You can access some radio channels on the net or your car depending on your location.

Whatever your level. Grammar! Verbs! Irregular verbs! Tenses! You will need Grammar.

I would only focus on Present/past/future. Subjunctive is a nightmare! Make simple sentences and avoid using anything that would prompt using Subjunctive, conditional etc.

Basic sentences!

Hope this helps.

Good luck OP

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

I'm by no way a master at French, but as a bit of a help check this lady out:

Geraldine Lepere.

She will take you through a few pitfalls with the French everyday speaking, slang, situations and how not to show yourself up in everyday French! You can sign up for email handy tutorials.

As for the GCSE, no good! Get some French friends, their the best for learning!

By *awty MaxWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"App -

You also have Babbel.

You can unlock some lessons without paying for the whole thing.

YouTube -

has many learning videos you can use

DVDs -

look at the back of your DVDs and see if they have French. You can then play the movie with or without English subtitles. The ideal is to use a movie you know very very well and play it in French without English subtitles as they don't always match.

Radio -

You can access some radio channels on the net or your car depending on your location.

Whatever your level. Grammar! Verbs! Irregular verbs! Tenses! You will need Grammar.

I would only focus on Present/past/future. Subjunctive is a nightmare! Make simple sentences and avoid using anything that would prompt using Subjunctive, conditional etc.

Basic sentences!

Hope this helps.

Good luck OP "

Forgot to add the app's name for the Grammar. You get exercises to and it's free. Look for.... L'OBS.... in the app store

Catthorpe

Massive thanks to all of you. Apps and tutorials noted

By *ave1745Man  over a year ago

portsmouth

Do you want to learn the language or pass the exam, not a daft question...

By *s2funloversCouple  over a year ago

North Walsham and Spain

Too right, immersion with French people is best, I still recall the image of my wife being fucked on all fours by a French guy..... with a French/English dictionary in her back... seemed to help them both! Vive la France

By *irm FoundationsMan  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

A big thanks to all those who contributed to this post . I will be downloading and using the apps and other materials referred to.

Catthorpe

"Do you want to learn the language or pass the exam, not a daft question..."

Both.

Being on a course, passing the exams and of course paying for it is a great motivation to succeed, reading and writing is important to us too. We plan on living there at some point so the qualifications may come in handy.

» Add a new message to this topic