hereandthere

Anyone done This?

We fancy going in July for a four days as we visit family down there

Which site?

Route etc

All info is a bonus thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A lot depends on how long you have to drive down and what you want to see.

The fastest route from Calais is via the autoroute direction of Areas, Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Marseille, Sete (basically the route du soleil but avoiding Paris) on the autoroute.

You can do the trip in one long day or break it up. Tolls are quite expensive however you get there quickly.

France is a big place with lots to see therefore, if you have the time, do some sightseeing and take in some other areas and a more tranquil route!

By *renchcpl90Couple  over a year ago

wexford

And dont plan to travel over the weekends here in the summer. Just to much traffic

By *elaxchillcuMan  over a year ago

cheshire

We normally get the ferry to Dieppe go Rouen A13 to A10 still bypass Paris on to the A71/75 through the Claremont Ferrand over the Millau bridge and down into south of France .still peages but if you haven't the time you need to pay them saying that thinking of trying the Reims route this year the last 4 hours of the Claremont route has lots of steep inclines and declines depends on what vehicle you are traveling in enjoy the Cap

"We normally get the ferry to Dieppe go Rouen A13 to A10 still bypass Paris on to the A71/75 through the Claremont Ferrand over the Millau bridge and down into south of France .still peages but if you haven't the time you need to pay them saying that thinking of trying the Reims route this year the last 4 hours of the Claremont route has lots of steep inclines and declines depends on what vehicle you are traveling in enjoy the Cap "

This route is approximately half the cost road toll wise. It's free after Clermont except for the Millau bridge.

By *elaxchillcuMan  over a year ago

cheshire

So the route we take is cheaper than Reims many thanks John

I guess you have to consider your starting point in the UK and ferry vs. Eurotunnel costs as well...

By *eordiesCouple  over a year ago

newcastle

"I guess you have to consider your starting point in the UK and ferry vs. Eurotunnel costs as well..."

But don't forget you can use Tesco vouchers for the full cost of the tunnel.

By *he smoochablesCouple  over a year ago

Stafford

[Removed by poster at 22/01/18 21:29:13]

Stafford

We do this journey every year with caravan. Dover Calais, rouen, chartras, Orleans, Clermont-Ferrand. Easy.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

We drive to Cap every year but from Germany.

Depending on which port you use there are various routes.

If you land at Calais, Dunkirk, or Boulogne then really it would be best to go straight down the middle. You can take a chance on Paris or bypass it via Rouen then down to Clermont Ferand and over the Millau bridge and drop into Beziers.

If you are coming from the north (Newcastle - Amsterdam, Hull -Rotterdam) then you could pick up our route.

Make your way to Luxembourg via Eindhoven & Liege, Don't forget to fill up the car in Luxembourg and stock up on cigs (if you want them)

Then it's down to Metz - Nancy - Dijon -Lyon (follow signs to Marsielle until you pick up Montpellier) then Valence - Montpellier - Cap d'Agde. (Exit at J34)

Costa Blanca Spain...

Oh I would just add that the route down from Luxembourg takes you through some of the best wine country in Europe.

Moselle, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone, and finally Languedoc-Roussillon.

By *ccasionalfun OP   Couple  over a year ago

hereandthere

Cheers for all the advice guys .much appreciated

By *lebfucedCouple  over a year ago

Newport

[Removed by poster at 23/01/18 16:37:28]

By *lebfucedCouple  over a year ago

Newport

Having done both routes, the route that is by far the best is Rouen ,Orleans ,millau,this is the quickest and easiest route

Lyon is a pain will never go through there again .

Avoid the motorway around Paris the peripheries.

From Rouen go to Evreux,Dreux,Chartres onto Orleans

Cheap fuel stop along this route as well and cheapest tolls

Have done this route in 8 hrs in a car easily.No need for a stop over.

Hope this helps.

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

Apart from the Millau bridge (10 euros in summer) the motorway from Clermont Ferrand is free.

From the channel ports to Clermont can cost up to 60 euro tolls depending on which way you go.

In theory, lorries should not be on french roads on Sundays so this is usually the best day for travelling.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Having done both routes, the route that is by far the best is Rouen ,Orleans ,millau,this is the quickest and easiest route

Hope this helps."

From the channel ports or tunnel 100% agreed but it would be a fair old detour for anyone landing at Amsterdam or Rotterdam (and quite a few from the north do)

The Route du Soliel is the well trodden path for most Dutch & Belgian drivers so I think it would be safe to say that it would be the best one from the Dutch ports.

To be fair Lyon can be a pain in the arse (but I've seen worse) and the whole route can be busy on high season weekends especially if you are unlucky enough to catch the Bastille day holiday.

Cap d’Agde, France

"Having done both routes, the route that is by far the best is Rouen ,Orleans ,millau,this is the quickest and easiest route

Hope this helps.

From the channel ports or tunnel 100% agreed but it would be a fair old detour for anyone landing at Amsterdam or Rotterdam (and quite a few from the north do)

The Route du Soliel is the well trodden path for most Dutch & Belgian drivers so I think it would be safe to say that it would be the best one from the Dutch ports.

To be fair Lyon can be a pain in the arse (but I've seen worse) and the whole route can be busy on high season weekends especially if you are unlucky enough to catch the Bastille day holiday."

We drove from Cap D'Agde to Brussels in mid August last year to bring some furniture home.

We decided to try and do the whole route avoiding motorway tolls. (other than the Millau bridge)

We drove Cap-Clement-Moulins-Auxerre-Troyes-Reims-Charleville-Dinant-Brussels.

Not the quickest but the roads were empty, the countryside beautiful and the journey time was 14 hours (one overnight stop in Reims)

With a car full we returned the quickest via Paris, very crowded roads, boring motorway, a journey time of 11 hours at an extra cost of 50 euros for tolls.

Whatever port you land in it will take a minimum of 9 hours hard driving, if you've got the time why not make a holiday out of the journey, saving on motorway tolls would pay for a hotel overnight.

We have done Calais to Cap in one hit. Keeping to speed limit and change drivers every 2h -took 10h.

We generally leave the apartment at 7am and arrive home in Essex approx 9pm sticking to the speed limits but only stopping to swop drivers.

Cap d’Agde, France

"We generally leave the apartment at 7am and arrive home in Essex approx 9pm sticking to the speed limits but only stopping to swop drivers. "

Sticking to speed limits has become imperative for us living in France. In the last 15 months, in our French car, we have been fined 4 times for breaking speed limits.

Don't remember getting more than a couple of speeding fines during 30 years UK driving. The tolerances are set low here, i.e. one fine for doing 84kph on a 80kph limit.

Generally 90k on open roads and 30-50k in towns, Motorways are 110-130k depending on weather and location but some stretches can drop as low as 80k as we found out to our disadvantage.

Also you can be fined if police find that you are using a GPS which shows up speed cameras, even if its built into your in-car GPS.

Really crazy but do take care!

"We generally leave the apartment at 7am and arrive home in Essex approx 9pm sticking to the speed limits but only stopping to swop drivers.

Sticking to speed limits has become imperative for us living in France. In the last 15 months, in our French car, we have been fined 4 times for breaking speed limits.

Don't remember getting more than a couple of speeding fines during 30 years UK driving. The tolerances are set low here, i.e. one fine for doing 84kph on a 80kph limit.

Generally 90k on open roads and 30-50k in towns, Motorways are 110-130k depending on weather and location but some stretches can drop as low as 80k as we found out to our disadvantage.

Also you can be fined if police find that you are using a GPS which shows up speed cameras, even if its built into your in-car GPS.

Really crazy but do take care!"

Thought it was only me picking up fines......

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

what are the fines do they show up anywhere on dvla etc

Cap d’Agde, France

"what are the fines do they show up anywhere on dvla etc"

We paid our French fines at the reduced rate but the points on the licence don't apply (we hope) since we still have our UK licence. We have however, in the past when still living in the UK, been tracked down for fines incurred in both France and Italy.

The standard fine is €90 providing you pay the fine within a limited time frame. It goes up quite quickly after that.

Points are deducted on a French licence (you start with 12 and hope to not end up with zero).

I was fine €90 for doing 54km per hour in a 50km zone and one point. I believe that you lose the one point after 6 months providing that you have no further infringement.

I have a UK licence and nothing happened to it however, had it been 3 points then I would ha e had to change my licence to a French licence.

I like my old paper licence but at some point I guess I going to be forced to oblidge (Brexit may be the eventual cause!).

As someone else has already said, best to adhere to the speed limits!

The DVLA works in tandem with the French authorities and if you get 3 points or more, this will go onto your UK licence.

"The standard fine is €90 providing you pay the fine within a limited time frame. It goes up quite quickly after that.

Points are deducted on a French licence (you start with 12 and hope to not end up with zero).

I was fine €90 for doing 54km per hour in a 50km zone and one point. I believe that you lose the one point after 6 months providing that you have no further infringement.

I have a UK licence and nothing happened to it however, had it been 3 points then I would ha e had to change my licence to a French licence.

I like my old paper licence but at some point I guess I going to be forced to oblidge (Brexit may be the eventual cause!).

As someone else has already said, best to adhere to the speed limits!

The DVLA works in tandem with the French authorities and if you get 3 points or more, this will go onto your UK licence."

From this year if your caught speeding in Europe the details are now recorded on a UK licence and they chase you for amount due.

At the moment a UK licence is accepted as we are still in the EU. After brexit you will only be allowed to drive in France (EU) for a limited time. I think 12 months and then you need a French licence. You can change your UK licence for a French one free of charge. You surrender your UK licence through.

Fines in France are dependant on the speed - how much over the limit. If your just over the limit you get docked 1 point which lasts for 6 months. A minor offence is 45€ if paid within 14 -21days. If for example your doing 100kph in a 50 zone you get a ban and heavy fine. On the motorway tolls if your speeding remember they have a record and a photo of your number plate so be warned.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"We generally leave the apartment at 7am and arrive home in Essex approx 9pm sticking to the speed limits but only stopping to swop drivers.

Thought it was only me picking up fines......"

No not only you. I've had two from the same bloody camera.

Our car is on German plates so maybe it's because of the German French agreement to pass on speeding tickets but both times we got a 10% (of the speed limit) reduction on the actual speed. I was flashed doing 101 in a 90 less 9 so fined as if doing 92.

That is the normal rule in Germany so maybe the French have to apply it before the Germans will pass on the ticket.

Our car is on German plates so maybe it's because of the German French agreement to pass on speeding tickets but both times we got a 10% (of the speed limit) reduction on the actual speed. I was flashed doing 101 in a 90 less 9 so fined as if doing 92.

That is the normal rule in Germany so maybe the French have to apply it before the Germans will pass on the ticket."

forget about the 10% adjustment, in France they allow just 2kph if your doing 52 in a 50 you will get a fine - albeit small and 1 point but you will get one. I know from experience!

That is the normal rule in Germany so maybe the French have to apply it before the Germans will pass on the ticket.

forget about the 10% adjustment, in France they allow just 2kph if your doing 52 in a 50 you will get a fine - albeit small and 1 point but you will get one. I know from experience!"

I am glad that I am not the only one to have received a fine for being just over the limit!

The most frustrating thing is when you drive along sticking to the limits, you have a queue behind you and are overtaken with drivers who seem to be oblivious or exempt from them!

Costa Blanca Spain...

forget about the 10% adjustment, in France they allow just 2kph if your doing 52 in a 50 you will get a fine - albeit small and 1 point but you will get one. I know from experience!"

Yes. Like I said it must have something to do with the agreement between the Germans and the French. I got one once from Holland and the same rule applied.

In Germany you get the 10% allowance and I think that other countries have to apply it to German cars or they (the German authorities) won't pass the ticket on.

Both French and the Dutch ticket had the 10% reduction.

Crazy thing is that in 30 years driving in the UK I didn't get a single speeding fine. Seven years living in Spain and still spending around half a year here, not one ticket.

In a few short years in Germany I've had around half a dozen plus the ones above and I know I've got another one to come in Germany as I got flashed on the way to the airport.

On that one I got caught by the common trick in Germany where the speed limit changes depending on the time of day (apparently for noise abatement) I know the road well and the limit is 100 what I didn't know is that it is 80 between 10pm and 6am. I got hit at 5am. probably doing just over 90.

Stafford

Has anyone mentioned that you need an emissions disk for you windscreen.

"Has anyone mentioned that you need an emissions disk for you windscreen. "

here is a good link with all the info you need:

http://www.drive-france.com/checklist

The Crit Air (emissions disk) is not (as far as I am aware) required across all of France but certainly in places such as Grenoble and Paris - with other cities/areas following suit.

Good point !

Stafford

"Has anyone mentioned that you need an emissions disk for you windscreen.

here is a good link with all the info you need:

http://www.drive-france.com/checklist"

Got ours. In case anyone didn't know about it.

Costa Blanca Spain...

They are compulsory on German registered cars so we already have one.

By *it of fun cplCouple  over a year ago

village between York and Hull

We are driving down in our motorhome again this year. We tend to drive down to paris then spend a day there. We will be going on the tunnel. If you work it out for us it is cheaper to do the toll roads, Fuel v Tolls but we tend to do a bit of both taking in the scenery.

» Add a new message to this topic