FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > Ghymnos

Ghymnos

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tasia OP   Couple  over a year ago

West Bromwich

If you know the meaning of the title, then you'll know what we're on about straight away.

Gather its Greek for Nudist, or Naked.... but unable to confirm.

I've yet to find a guide to Cap d'Agde that doesn't mention this superb restaurant as one of the top spots to eat, but when searching for it on Fab in its own right, not a mention, so thought we'd address that.

Owned and managed by Alexis and Rudolphe, Ghymnos is found at the edge of the Heliopolis shopping centre, and runs either side of the walkway through the shops. One side is kitchen, till, and around space for 60 guests, the other side is a large glass extension allowing a further 100+ guests to be seated.

Offering 3 main selections of food, their Salads, Pizzas and their Grills. All great value, and cooked in front of you on open grills or in the massive pizza oven. Prices range from 6 Euro's for a mixed salad, 9 euros for a Margherita pizza, and 8.50 for Chicken Nuggets, through to 13 Euros for a Caesar or Salmon salad, 13 euros for my favourite Mexican pizza (ask for the chilli oil) and 44 Euro's if you fancy sharing a Prime Rib of beef for 2. Also look out for their infamous Couscous evenings....but will leave others to chat about that as never tried.

Wine list is great, local wines from the Languedoc region, and often some excellent hidden gems available from behind the counter...well worth asking for.

You are served with an aperitif on arrival, and within minutes your meal will be ready. Its fast and furious, the staff don't stop and are all superb at their jobs. If you get in the way in the walkway between the two sections, expect to be mown down by a waitress handling 3 plus pizza's at speed! The queue to get a table tends to start around 8pm, and by 10pm they are closing down, but for those few hours this team works their butts off. Great to watch in action.

Also open at lunch times, and if old info is correct, probably the only place to eat in the village during the winter. Over time you'll become good friends with staff and owners. Good memories, great ambience, excellent viewing point, fine food and wine.

Its a 10/10 from us.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pretty spot on review.

My benchmark pizza anywhere. Its been great over the years seeing them take over the business and keep it fresh.

They work bloody hard and usually take approx 3 months off and shut between November opening again in February.

The staff is incredible!!! I consider them friends!

I've had some wonderful pizzas there. Hoping to go one night between 5th and 11th of september if anyone cares to join me

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

Been there twice,

Food is stodge, wine is local plonk and seating is bloody uncomfortable but yes it was cheap.

Won't go there again

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Been there twice,

Food is stodge, wine is local plonk and seating is bloody uncomfortable but yes it was cheap.

Won't go there again"

Must admit that we sadly have to agree.

For all the years we have been going to Cap we have always had our first night meal in there.

However this year was bloody awful.

The "mixed salad" we ordered as a starter was nothing more than the (considerably cheaper) green salad with 2 cherry tomatoes plonked on top. The wine was barely drinkable and the Pizza's were at best OK.

To be fair the staff there are always very pleasant but next year we will be giving the place a wide berth.

By *irm FoundationsMan  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

I have to agree with both of the posters above. There are lots of other restaurants with better food , more confortable seats and pleasant surroundings .

By *otCouple86Couple  over a year ago

London

We've been there last year and we got sick... Not planning to go there this year at all

By *elly39devonCouple  over a year ago

tavistock

we never go to Gymnos despite spending several weeks each year at the Cap, Our problem has never been the food which we always thought nice, not cheap but fine. We dislike the seating and the rush to get us out either to shut or get another sitting. There are a few place to eat in the winter especially at the weekend Gymnos closes at the end of September and opens again quite early in the year.

By *tasia OP   Couple  over a year ago

West Bromwich

Obviously Marmite!

By *elaxedcplCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"The staff is incredible!!! I consider them friends!"

Agreed. We were there 4 times over the past 2 weeks and one of the waiters in particular, Davie, was an absolute gent.

After a long day getting to Le Cap and converting our apartment back from renter mode to personal mode we were looking forward to our usual pizza last night but at 8.30 they were full with a huge queue waiting.

Not being the types to hang around it was dinner in Calypso instead.

Back to Ghymnos on Friday but a fraction earlier.

» Add a new message to this topic