FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Site help > Account banning question?

Account banning question?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *nvercouple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Inverness

We are wondering if an Admin can answer a question regarding banned accounts.

Does the ip of the user also get banned from the site? or are they free to make more accounts?

We get the odd annoying and abusive mail from single guys and been tempted to report them as well as blocking them.

But if the ip of the person doesn't get banned from the site then you leave yourself open for more abuse because they can just create other accounts.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

But if the ip of the person doesn't get banned from the site then you leave yourself open for more abuse because they can just create other accounts.

"

Whatever admin do with blocked accounts, you can block contact from newly registered accounts and/or unverified accounts. Im sure that would eliminate 95% of the nonsense?

Steve

By *l coupleCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Is there a timing for the new accounts, like if they've then been around for 1-3 months they get unblocked?

Wouldn't want to miss someone potentially awesome just because you block newbies?

By *issBehavingxxWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Is there a timing for the new accounts, like if they've then been around for 1-3 months they get unblocked?

Wouldn't want to miss someone potentially awesome just because you block newbies?"

I think filtering newbies lasts only for the 5 or 7 days they are classed as new members on the site

By *ikkiBWoman  over a year ago

Falkirk

I think out of all the reports I've sent, one got removed and I found out knocking about 15yr off your age is acceptable lol

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"We are wondering if an Admin can answer a question regarding banned accounts.

Does the ip of the user also get banned from the site? or are they free to make more accounts?

We get the odd annoying and abusive mail from single guys and been tempted to report them as well as blocking them.

"

do IP addresses remain the same, especially when using a mobile??

Some IP numbers are more or less permenant (static) and some change. (Dynamic)

Banning an IP number is nigh on impossible as when you use a large internet provider a lot are shared- so lets say you have a BT provider - then you would ban a whole swath of IP numbers as you banned the offending number.

Its far easier to accept there are wallys all over the net and of course sites like there will attract more than their fair share of undesirable planks.

A more interesting question for us would be...When you block a member, and that member uses his gold or silver status to change his name...does the block remain in force?

Its not too hard to block the gobsh**es If you keep on top of th everifications and do a good phone check you can usually ensure things are heading in the right direction.

To answer the Original question in one word.....Impractable.

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"

A more interesting question for us would be...When you block a member, and that member uses his gold or silver status to change his name...does the block remain in force?

"

The only thing that changes when a member changes their username is...... their username. Blocks/friends/verifications all remain the same

Admin x

ip addresses can get changed though cant they I think. Someone did tell me that in a computer shop, but... he may have been wrong. I know when I have probs on my comp and go to the one click fixy thing on aol my IP address changes I think.

"

The only thing that changes when a member changes their username is...... their username. Blocks/friends/verifications all remain the same

Admin x"

Excellent news Thankyou x

IP numbers change yes but not a lot if you keep the same provider.

For instance an AOL users IP can change with each page (as it refreshes) - but the IP number will always start with a certain sequence which is unique to AOL - which means as you ban the IP number you automatically ban every AOL user not just the offender. The same goes for BT, SKY and the rest of them. They all have identifying IP numbers in huge Batches.....or at least that was the case....May have changed.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"ip addresses can get changed though cant they I think. Someone did tell me that in a computer shop, but... he may have been wrong. I know when I have probs on my comp and go to the one click fixy thing on aol my IP address changes I think."

Yep, so long as you're not using an ISP who dishes out a so-called static IP address (which most people won't be as they have no need for it) then you can quite easily force your IP address to change.

Although with more and more people having wireless networks at home now, it's not the IP of the PC they're using that matters

Oh ffs, I can't believe I'm talking about IP address on a swinging site.

» Add a new message to this topic