FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Site help > Image size?

Image size?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I found with a number of profile images I uploaded (and then removed again) that the quality was quite bad - it was as if they had been heavily compressed by the site and suffered a lot for it. Perhaps for mobile users by any chance?

The images in question I had already re-sized and compressed so they weren't bandwidth hungry.

My question is, Is there an ideal resolution and file size for profile photos? - a threshold before the site does its own re-sizing and compression.

Cheers

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

Size shouldn't make any massive difference

Without seeing the images it's hard to comment.

Can you upload again and see if you get the same result, if so let us know we will look.

Admin x

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Size shouldn't make any massive difference

"

Ahhhh but it does, believe you me

By *uitar_antiheroMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Size shouldn't make any massive difference

Ahhhh but it does, believe you me "

Wrong thread

Lol @ size mattering :D

I've just almost exhausted my daily photo upload limit trying things out - various sizes and even one with no compression (almost 4 meg in size) and still it's the same - they are being compressed and the output quality is dire.

oddly enough, looking at some other profile photos of similar size and resolution they are crystal clear.

I'm using a modern DSLR and have been uploading images to sites for the last 8 years but this is the first time I've come across such noticeable quality degradation.

If I can mail an image to you and then upload the same one onto my profile i'm sure you'll notice if that may help?

Thanks!

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"Lol @ size mattering :D

I've just almost exhausted my daily photo upload limit trying things out - various sizes and even one with no compression (almost 4 meg in size) and still it's the same - they are being compressed and the output quality is dire.

oddly enough, looking at some other profile photos of similar size and resolution they are crystal clear.

I'm using a modern DSLR and have been uploading images to sites for the last 8 years but this is the first time I've come across such noticeable quality degradation.

If I can mail an image to you and then upload the same one onto my profile i'm sure you'll notice if that may help?

Thanks!"

We've contacted you privately

Admin x

Thanks again, just uploading a comparison screengrab

I tried to reply privately however was given a list of support options so I'll make notes here if I may,

The upload file I sent was around 500KB though i originally tried with a crystal clear 169KB but to no avail. Regardless, hopefully from your end you can notice the site image is blurred to such a degree you can barely make out the pinstripes on my skirt suit.

My verification photo I sent recently was dispyed really quite pixelated that I then noticed the rest of my profile images were rather blurred also when viewed full size.

As a T-girl alas it looks like I've been at the photoshop to try hide a multitude of sins hence why I may appear to be pedantic about this.

From seeing other members profiles with crystal clear images however then i feel something is amiss. I tried a different browser btw (Chrome & IE) and they are both displaying similar.

Thanks again x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Those file sizes are quite small!

"Those file sizes are quite small! "

For the best part of a decade I've been used to 150KB photo size limits at one of my other haunts - draconian it may seem but it was a method with which to control bandwidth. Images over that size were automatically rejected before they could be uploaded.

All the same though, each image was presented on profiles exactly as is, and even website watermarks were a recent addition.

btw, if you view someones profile image full size, then right click it to save it to your computer then check how big it is - remarkably small filesize suggesting heavy compression.

I'm on my phone. I'll check on the laptop in a bit and see what size mine were in case it helps!

Just checked using your methods!

You're right!

Mine were between 180kb and 500kb when uploaded (although they were originally over 1-2MB each before cropping/editing!) - and dropped to half that when copied back from the site!

No idea if the editing process I used made any difference - or if any of the above helps! I'm not that tech-minded!

By *heRainManMan  over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

OP, have you now used a different method? The profile pics that you've uploaded today look fine here.

By *an and wifeyCouple  over a year ago

n lincs

Surely if you copy paste a pic off here it will download at a lower quality or at least I hope it does to stop peeps stealing good quality sexy pics like lots of great sexy people put up on here. I've seen loads of poor quality pics on here and I wonder some times if it's people with fake profiles putting other peoples pics up. Our pics differ as we use 2 different quality cameras and also use my phone for uploading some pics. But try to put our names on the pics for above reason. May be just being over cautious

Thanks Admin for your help, and everyone. I've tried as suggested 1024x768 but the result is the same alas.

Even using high compression on my editor to yield a file size of just 111KB, the clarity next to any of my images processed by the site is very obvious.

I tried the flash uploader also to see if this made a difference but it did not. What i did notice btw with this is that as it defaulted the image to private view, this then had the side effect of removing all my images from view on my profile page. Setting that one image to Public then returned them all to my page - I guess a bug?

@Obi - All my images are processed the same way, I'm wondering if perhaps the level of detail in the image is having an effect on the processing - such as the pinstripes on my dress suit being a bit too much lol.

@man&wifey - I'm of the impression that the moment I upload any image to the internet then it is public domain and I lose all control of it. As I have the full sized outcropped and uncompressed originals however then I am able to prove they are mine any time I should be required to do so.

Can be quite amusing and even flattering sometimes to find ones image being used elsewhere. That's happened to a few of mine before and I found the trouble it would take to address it satisfactorily just wasn't worth the hassle. I just make sure that whatever I do upload I can live with should it be abused

n lincs

By *ravo_CharlieMan  over a year ago

East Sussex

Anybody solve this? Photos I'm uploading come out really poor quality..

By *mma_EvansTV/TS  over a year ago

Colchester

"Anybody solve this? Photos I'm uploading come out really poor quality.. "

They look fine to me xx

n lincs

Never noticed poor quality pics on any of our uploads but don’t really look through ours. Perving on others lol

» Add a new message to this topic