FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Lockdown pets

Lockdown pets

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My daughter is begging me for a dog. She has always wanted one but I have always said no as we wouldn't have the time to train it. Now though we technically do but the problem is that I'll eventually have to go back to work and her school. The dog would be alone for the best part of the day. Is there any other pets that don't take much effort to look after and are okay to be left alone ? No a goldfish lol. Tried that already .

If I were to get a dog what breed would you recommend that would be easy to look after and not to much energy lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

we have scorpions. great fun

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

We have a Maltese so they're non shed and sleep for a huge amount of time

She gets walked every night for 20 mins and is knackered afterwards

We're out of the house for 5 hrs every morning and she's fine with in

A perfect dog and a ball of fluff thats great with kids

By *r_mrs_studmuffinCouple  over a year ago

narnia

All dogs require a lot of looking after and most have lots of energy. Please think long and hard if this is the right decision for your family and if it is please consider a rescue dog.

Best of luck

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

About 4yrs ago i was asked to mind a rescue dog for a few wks and guess what he's still here its like having a spoilt toddler in the house

By *r_mrs_studmuffinCouple  over a year ago

narnia

"About 4yrs ago i was asked to mind a rescue dog for a few wks and guess what he's still here its like having a spoilt toddler in the house "
ah but they are the best the love you receive back off them is so worth it but yes I agree about the toddler part I've 2 here myself xx

"we have scorpions. great fun

"

No thanks

By *iquidRavenMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Don't do it if you're in anyway not into it.. they need a massive amount of attention and you'll most likely end up looking after it

I have two in my vicinity, the owner is a real 'dog' person and gives too much love at the expense of training or what's good for the dogs

Absolutely head melting... just say no

Get a cat, they give no fooks

"We have a Maltese so they're non shed and sleep for a huge amount of time

She gets walked every night for 20 mins and is knackered afterwards

We're out of the house for 5 hrs every morning and she's fine with in

A perfect dog and a ball of fluff thats great with kids "

Thanks for this.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Go for it. Dogs are great for kids and at least when she's a teenager you'll have somebody that's happy to see you come home.

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

Get a cat. Easy to mind, dont mind being left on their own.

"Go for it. Dogs are great for kids and at least when she's a teenager you'll have somebody that's happy to see you come home."

Best answer so far

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

'A dog is for life and not just for Corona-mess' springs to mind....

Get a kitten or even two, they're cuddly, playful easy enough to litter tray train and don't mind a few hours a day on their own. Also you don't have to walk them after a full days work when it's pissing rain outside.

By *ight MovesMan  over a year ago

The Wide Blue Yonder

"About 4yrs ago i was asked to mind a rescue dog for a few wks and guess what he's still here its like having a spoilt toddler in the house "

Awww... melted a bit there Lolly. What's the doggys name?

I know two people with Shih Tzu's - both of them seem to sleep half the day away

By *hors.HammerMan  over a year ago

Newbridge

"we have scorpions. great fun

"

What types?

By *hors.HammerMan  over a year ago

Newbridge

A dog is a big commitment.

Be sure you are properly ready for it.

also and most importantly if you do go for it.

Adopt don't buy!

I went for a 3k run with my dog today. Hes only 1 year and half. We had dogs before as i grew up.

Eventually got this guy now

My 8 year old kid is his best friend nd last night whwn he was wit me last night we watched hotel for dogs.

Dogs are amazing. If u look accept them as part of ur family. They're amazing. X

Fur babies are such a brilliant addition to any family but it isn’t a decision to take lightly.

We foster dogs and I would advise even try a trial run to see how you fair out before committing to it.

15yrs of your life if you get a pup and it is so hard when they are not wanted anymore and left on the street to fend for themselves.

By *irewolffMan  over a year ago

Dublin

We are looking for a boxer puppy at the moment. Looking at breeders but there isnt alot of litters and alot of demand.

Alwaya wanted a dog and when I met MrD, we talked about it as he had dogs in the past. Looking forward to it but am under no illusions that it is hard work.

MsD

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

I have a pit mastiff,bull mastiff Pitbull cross, traditionally called a bandogge

He's the worst of both breeds,attacks all male dogs on sight like a pit and goes for all people he doesn't know which some mastiffs are like

Especially hates young squeely kids and older women,think he can sense their vulnerability

Has lovely eyes tho

I'll be breeding him later in summer if you're interested?

I went to my local rescue centre and brought my nephew and neice with me. We found a collie cross who was a bit shy but loved the little kids and wasnt the least bit aggresive. So took him home and never looked back.The poor thing had been beaten by previous owner , so for the first week he was very nervous and peed and shit all over the house . But he soon got out of the habit and now 2 years later,he is brilliant. Barks whenever anyone comes near the house and when out walking licks the hell out of everyone.Best thing I ever done was to get a rescue. Might even get another one.

somewhere

"I went to my local rescue centre and brought my nephew and neice with me. We found a collie cross who was a bit shy but loved the little kids and wasnt the least bit aggresive. So took him home and never looked back.The poor thing had been beaten by previous owner , so for the first week he was very nervous and peed and shit all over the house . But he soon got out of the habit and now 2 years later,he is brilliant. Barks whenever anyone comes near the house and when out walking licks the hell out of everyone.Best thing I ever done was to get a rescue. Might even get another one. "

By *elfastDMan  over a year ago

belfast

Rescue dogs are the best and generally crave attention

Remember they need walked every day, rain or sunshine, every day and you need to be home to feed them as well, so no sneaky nights away without organising childcare, oops I mean doggy care

Shih Tzu’s are non shedding, have a couple of them and they’re generally quite well tempered

"I have a pit mastiff,bull mastiff Pitbull cross, traditionally called a bandogge

He's the worst of both breeds,attacks all male dogs on sight like a pit and goes for all people he doesn't know which some mastiffs are like

Especially hates young squeely kids and older women,think he can sense their vulnerability

Has lovely eyes tho

I'll be breeding him later in summer if you're interested?"

Sounds exactly like you x

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Oh yeah btw my dog is one of them rescue breeds too. She's endless and I mean endless energy, over an hours walk each day, a daily swim and countless balls thrown in the garden keep her happy.

Dogs are a lovely addition to the family but kids can be quite fickle about looking after them. Our kids begged and begged and begged for one. It took four years of pleading and assuring us how they would look after it and feed it. We got a rescue dog and they love him. But the novelty of walking it and feeding it quickly wore off. We got a Golden Irish which is a cross between a Red Setter and a Golden Retriever. He's as daft as a brush and endless ball of energy but great with kids and a loveable rogue.

By *nnocentguy69Man  over a year ago

somewhere near you

I’m lucky to leave my dog over in my parents while I’m at work. She’s so energetic and loves being walked.

Don’t be getting a dog if it’s going to spend most of the day on it’s own everyday.

"Dogs are a lovely addition to the family but kids can be quite fickle about looking after them. Our kids begged and begged and begged for one. It took four years of pleading and assuring us how they would look after it and feed it. We got a rescue dog and they love him. But the novelty of walking it and feeding it quickly wore off. We got a Golden Irish which is a cross between a Red Setter and a Golden Retriever. He's as daft as a brush and endless ball of energy but great with kids and a loveable rogue. "

I have a red setter and a golden retriever, I can see why hes a ball of energy , I was only made aware of the breed last year when i seen a friend with a pup, very impressive looking dogs

"Dogs are a lovely addition to the family but kids can be quite fickle about looking after them. Our kids begged and begged and begged for one. It took four years of pleading and assuring us how they would look after it and feed it. We got a rescue dog and they love him. But the novelty of walking it and feeding it quickly wore off. We got a Golden Irish which is a cross between a Red Setter and a Golden Retriever. He's as daft as a brush and endless ball of energy but great with kids and a loveable rogue.

I have a red setter and a golden retriever, I can see why hes a ball of energy , I was only made aware of the breed last year when i seen a friend with a pup, very impressive looking dogs "

Oh we love him to bits. Unfortunately my husband got him when we separated. Kids don't get to see their beloved pet as often as they would like to. But they are a wonderful breed for kids. So loveable and patient with kids dragging out of them.

somewhere

I love our dog and she fits into our family perfectly

But secretly I'd love a bigger dog that would chase a ball or a stick or even when I bring it for a walk on the local beach just run into the waves

"Rescue dogs are the best and generally crave attention

Remember they need walked every day, rain or sunshine, every day and you need to be home to feed them as well, so no sneaky nights away without organising childcare, oops I mean doggy care

Shih Tzu’s are non shedding, have a couple of them and they’re generally quite well tempered"

I'll take a look in my local rescue centre.

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

"My daughter is begging me for a dog. She has always wanted one but I have always said no as we wouldn't have the time to train it. Now though we technically do but the problem is that I'll eventually have to go back to work and her school. The dog would be alone for the best part of the day. Is there any other pets that don't take much effort to look after and are okay to be left alone ? No a goldfish lol. Tried that already .

If I were to get a dog what breed would you recommend that would be easy to look after and not to much energy lol"

You can always have regular visits to the zoo or fota wildlife all the taking care of them part is already taken care of all you need to do is visit them

"My daughter is begging me for a dog. She has always wanted one but I have always said no as we wouldn't have the time to train it. Now though we technically do but the problem is that I'll eventually have to go back to work and her school. The dog would be alone for the best part of the day. Is there any other pets that don't take much effort to look after and are okay to be left alone ? No a goldfish lol. Tried that already .

If I were to get a dog what breed would you recommend that would be easy to look after and not to much energy lol

You can always have regular visits to the zoo or fota wildlife all the taking care of them part is already taken care of all you need to do is visit them "

Maybe when restrictions are over

"I know two people with Shih Tzu's - both of them seem to sleep half the day away"

Sounds good

west

You can always have regular visits to the zoo or fota wildlife all the taking care of them part is already taken care of all you need to do is visit them

Maybe when restrictions are over "

Ah ha see I had my weetabix today the good ideas are flooding out today

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Maybe certain dogs do not need much exercise but they all need to pee so not suitable if going to be left inside for long spells. Better off with a cat or hamster.

"Maybe certain dogs do not need much exercise but they all need to pee so not suitable if going to be left inside for long spells. Better off with a cat or hamster."

I'm afraid of cats

west

"Maybe certain dogs do not need much exercise but they all need to pee so not suitable if going to be left inside for long spells. Better off with a cat or hamster.

I'm afraid of cats "

Wait I have it the dog idea just might work now listen this idea is gunna blow you away here it is how about a robo dog the ones you make up yourself absolutely perfect you can play with it while your at home and when work and school come round simple just take the batteries out or simply don't charge it up that day

Oh I'm on a roll today

"Maybe certain dogs do not need much exercise but they all need to pee so not suitable if going to be left inside for long spells. Better off with a cat or hamster."

This is so true

somewhere

"Maybe certain dogs do not need much exercise but they all need to pee so not suitable if going to be left inside for long spells. Better off with a cat or hamster.

This is so true

"

But dogs get trained not to pee in the house

At the start of your life together they might pee in the house to mark their territory or because their nervous or not used to going outside.

However they learn not to especially if they are rescue dogs as they will have lived with people before.

My dog barks every morning to go out the back garden and during the day will wait at the door and bark

Last thing at night they go out and then for up to 8 hours they're fine

Don't let that put you off

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

This is so true

At the start of your life together they might pee in the house to mark their territory or because their nervous or not used to going outside.

However they learn not to especially if they are rescue dogs as they will have lived with people before.

My dog barks every morning to go out the back garden and during the day will wait at the door and bark

Don't let that put you off "

They require a lot of care and attention. If you are not fully on board with getting one op then don't. I wouldn't be without my dogs all rescues in one form or another. But if you are already having doubts then go for something else that is easier looked after .

This is so true

Don't let that put you off "

Thanks for that. I've never had a dog so unsure what to do

somewhere

This is so true

Thanks for that. I've never had a dog so unsure what to do "

You can also opt to just foster for a while

I live near a rescue centre and we had kittens for a week and you can also get a dog for a week

It helps them when they are full and I'm sure a huge percentage stay forever in the foster home

My kids begged me for years to get a dog and i finally gave it and got 2 at the same time to keep each other company

One died last year and the kids roared crying for days...it genuinely felt like a death in the family and we all learned from it

The one thats left is absolutely adored and to be honest if she died I'd cry more than the kids

Its a big commitment like organizing dog care for a family holiday but so worth it

This is so true

Thanks for that. I've never had a dog so unsure what to do

You can also opt to just foster for a while

I live near a rescue centre and we had kittens for a week and you can also get a dog for a week

It helps them when they are full and I'm sure a huge percentage stay forever in the foster home

My kids begged me for years to get a dog and i finally gave it and got 2 at the same time to keep each other company

One died last year and the kids roared crying for days...it genuinely felt like a death in the family and we all learned from it

The one thats left is absolutely adored and to be honest if she died I'd cry more than the kids

Its a big commitment like organizing dog care for a family holiday but so worth it "

My little girl really wants one and I always have as well. Just never had the time b4 now.

"I went for a 3k run with my dog today. Hes only 1 year and half. We had dogs before as i grew up.

Eventually got this guy now

My 8 year old kid is his best friend nd last night whwn he was wit me last night we watched hotel for dogs.

Dogs are amazing. If u look accept them as part of ur family. They're amazing. X"

Thanks

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

"I have a pit mastiff,bull mastiff Pitbull cross, traditionally called a bandogge

Has lovely eyes tho

I'll be breeding him later in summer if you're interested?

Sounds exactly like you x"

Hey I love aul' wans xxx

By *hiteKniteMan  over a year ago

Nearby

Very well said

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

If I were to get a dog what breed would you recommend that would be easy to look after and not to much energy lol"

Jack Russel

"

Get a kitten or even two, they're cuddly, playful easy enough to litter tray train and don't mind a few hours a day on their own. Also you don't have to walk them after a full days work when it's pissing rain outside.

"

A dog is not just for Christmas...properly marinated you'd easily get Easter out of it

somewhere

"

A dog is not just for Christmas...properly marinated you'd easily get Easter out of it "

Fuck sake reporting you to the DSPCA

By *ary-JaneWoman  over a year ago

mid ulster

We got a tortoise... At the start I was like fucking tortoise.. But now I wake up earlier just to chill with him before the kids get up........

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Millions of people have dogs that spend the day at home alone, they are great companions for kids or adults alike but they certainly restrict what you can do as they need fed at least once a day.

Out GSD was adopted age 3 and spent 12 happy years waiting for us to come home. The alternative was he probably wouldn't have reached 4 years old.

I think it was because we have a decent size back garden and he could come all the way round to the gate at the front of the house and see what's going on, he also slept outside in a shed where he could come and go as he pleased. We could have left the gate open and he wouldn't run off.

Once we came home he was straight into the house and three walks a day but bedtime he would go to the back door and sit.

The only person he barked at regular was the postman, who gave him treats.

A dog is only as good or bad as it's treated but it's not something to buy and stick in a cupboard.

"

A dog is not just for Christmas...properly marinated you'd easily get Easter out of it

Fuck sake reporting you to the DSPCA "

somewhere

"We got a tortoise... At the start I was like fucking tortoise.. But now I wake up earlier just to chill with him before the kids get up........ "

Cool pet in fairness

"We got a tortoise... At the start I was like fucking tortoise.. But now I wake up earlier just to chill with him before the kids get up........ "

Like the sound of that.

I agree with the suggestions of tortoise, or other reptile. They tend to be chill pets and are fascinating little friends.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

You could get a cat!!they tend to do what they want anyway...

Every dog will need exercise....and a lot of em tend to be escape artists...

Basset hounds have always been my favourite...

Red setters are beautifull....but they are a ball of energy

I've two lurchers who sleep most of the time and contrary to what people think they don't need to be exercised to within an inch of their life.

Take them out at least twice let them have a good belt around and they're happy out.

Very vocal animals though and the downside of two dogs is vets bills and trying to arrange holidays but I love them

By *arry and AnnCouple  over a year ago

Louth

Ive only ever gone with labradors.. supposedly one of the easiest to train.

I have heard they can come with more health issues than other breeds but any ive had have lived to ripe old ages so im not sure how true that is

Cats! Get two, preferably from the same litter so that they already get along. I have three and they're perfectly happy on their own when I'm away

the wetlands

Yeah a cat

With a dog you have to pick up it's shit, with a cat your neighbors have to pick up it's shit

"Yeah a cat

With a dog you have to pick up it's shit, with a cat your neighbors have to pick up it's shit

"

By *mmakWoman  over a year ago

Town

How about going to a rescue centre and adopting some thing older that is settled and will sleep.

Also guniea pigs make great pets but you need to have 2 instead of one as they get lonely and are a social animal.

Hamsters and that are handy to as they need very little looking after.

"How about going to a rescue centre and adopting some thing older that is settled and will sleep.

Also guniea pigs make great pets but you need to have 2 instead of one as they get lonely and are a social animal.

Hamsters and that are handy to as they need very little looking after. "

Thanks for all the info. I've contacted my local pound n day r sedin some1 out 2 d house to make sure we r suitable. Could b a while b4 some1 can come out.

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

Apart from my few tarantulas I have a family of baby spiders living on one of my windows.

I thought the egg sack was dead a few weeks ago and then BOOM!!! 16 baby spiders.

They're garden spiders so I don't know how the mam layed an egg sack indoors but when they get a little bigger I'll be moving the outside.

I'm enjoying looking out for them during the lockdown. I leave fresh water out for them every few days.

"How about going to a rescue centre and adopting some thing older that is settled and will sleep.

Hamsters and that are handy to as they need very little looking after. "

I have a family of different sized rabbits living under my pillow. Very easy to look after I just change the batteries once a month

"Apart from my few tarantulas I have a family of baby spiders living on one of my windows.

I thought the egg sack was dead a few weeks ago and then BOOM!!! 16 baby spiders.

They're garden spiders so I don't know how the mam layed an egg sack indoors but when they get a little bigger I'll be moving the outside.

I'm enjoying looking out for them during the lockdown. I leave fresh water out for them every few days."

My worst nightmare

Hamsters and that are handy to as they need very little looking after.

I have a family of different sized rabbits living under my pillow. Very easy to look after I just change the batteries once a month "

Woui you leave your child alone for 5 hours or more at a time alone in the house? If not why would you even consider leaving a Little dog alone?

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

"Woui you leave your child alone for 5 hours or more at a time alone in the house? If not why would you even consider leaving a Little dog alone? "

Dogs are grand on their own

somewhere

"Woui you leave your child alone for 5 hours or more at a time alone in the house? If not why would you even consider leaving a Little dog alone? "

I do once my kids get to a certain age

Same with the dog

the wetlands

I love apples but I hate oranges

"Woui you leave your child alone for 5 hours or more at a time alone in the house? If not why would you even consider leaving a Little dog alone?

I do once my kids get to a certain age

Same with the dog "

Thanks

"Woui you leave your child alone for 5 hours or more at a time alone in the house? If not why would you even consider leaving a Little dog alone?

I love apples but I hate oranges"

I prefer bananas myself

I got little puppy. Delighted. He has ate half d house but alls good

somewhere

"I got little puppy. Delighted. He has ate half d house but alls good "

Brilliant hope you all have a happy life together

By *yintotryCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"About 4yrs ago i was asked to mind a rescue dog for a few wks and guess what he's still here its like having a spoilt toddler in the house ah but they are the best the love you receive back off them is so worth it but yes I agree about the toddler part I've 2 here myself xx"

We've two rescues. Couldn't ask for better dogs.

"About 4yrs ago i was asked to mind a rescue dog for a few wks and guess what he's still here its like having a spoilt toddler in the house ah but they are the best the love you receive back off them is so worth it but yes I agree about the toddler part I've 2 here myself xx

We've two rescues. Couldn't ask for better dogs."

When I rang 2 c about a rescue dog day told me I could be waiting a while as home checks would need 2 b done and den we would h put on a list. She said it could take a year or more. So we've put our names down.

Dis little fellas was found wit 5 other pups. Some1 dumped dem in a garden a few doors down.

somewhere

"About 4yrs ago i was asked to mind a rescue dog for a few wks and guess what he's still here its like having a spoilt toddler in the house ah but they are the best the love you receive back off them is so worth it but yes I agree about the toddler part I've 2 here myself xx

When I rang 2 c about a rescue dog day told me I could be waiting a while as home checks would need 2 b done and den we would h put on a list. She said it could take a year or more. So we've put our names down.

Dis little fellas was found wit 5 other pups. Some1 dumped dem in a garden a few doors down. "

May I suggest a visit to a vet to get him checked out and organise injections and the like

Fair play to you for taking him into your house and I hope your daughter is delighted

By *iz-Spankable_GhostCouple  over a year ago

Wouldnt you like to know

Maybe a hamster/mouse/gerbil or a cat might be better suited if you and your daughter wont be home as much when restrictions has ended . A dog needs ALOT of work,attention and training andshoukdnr really be left alone for anymore than 3 hours maximum. Also most breeds when bored can and will destroy your house

Dis little fellas was found wit 5 other pups. Some1 dumped dem in a garden a few doors down.

May I suggest a visit to a vet to get him checked out and organise injections and the like

Fair play to you for taking him into your house and I hope your daughter is delighted "

She was over excited. It was the 1st thing we done. He seems healthy. Is chipped and all now.

somewhere

Fair play to you for taking him into your house and I hope your daughter is delighted

She was over excited. It was the 1st thing we done. He seems healthy. Is chipped and all now."

I wish you all a lifetime of happy memories

I know that having a dog made a huge difference to me in our household

By *irewolffMan  over a year ago

Dublin

We put a deposit on a boxer puppy at the weekend. Get him in Aug.

Cannot wait.

By *rRuhbarbMan  over a year ago

London

Gerbils are great, my kid has 2, they are active throughout the day, fairly cheap and provide lots of entertainment

Get your child a dog it’s the best lesson a child can get , I have gave many a child a pup from needy kids with shit parents, the kid will never forget a pup that they will raise , a pup can become a lifeline for some kids , I am not a breeder of dogs as I give them for free, gave a pup to a kid he had autism, after a few days the kid was trying to show the parents his love for the pup xx

» Add a new message to this topic