FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Getting fit / back training support

Getting fit / back training support

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok so who needs motivation or support to get back training or start training. (lockdown for me was a disaster as work kept me busy)

If you think you can help motivate others and willing to share tips, or even find a training buddy.

A group for singles and couples ,

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

finding it really hard fitting in sessions with work/life and the addition restrictions in my gym there is always next week

"finding it really hard fitting in sessions with work/life and the addition restrictions in my gym there is always next week "

Think everyone is adjusting. My local gym are offering Les mills classes but worked out with my roster I'd get three classes this month, so no point rejoining. The gym beside me is reopening may just have to join there and train by myself.

Just find that classes are good as they push you.

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Were not rejoining our one. Basically have to queue up and wait to get in. The place is mental down there at the best of times and we usually ended up hanging around waiting for a bench or a squat rack so were just gonna stick with what we have at home. just need to find extra weight plates as himself is nearly up to what we have already lol

"Were not rejoining our one. Basically have to queue up and wait to get in. The place is mental down there at the best of times and we usually ended up hanging around waiting for a bench or a squat rack so were just gonna stick with what we have at home. just need to find extra weight plates as himself is nearly up to what we have already lol"

Think a lot of people will be doing that. Good that you have each other to motivate yourself too.

Waterford

"Were not rejoining our one. Basically have to queue up and wait to get in. The place is mental down there at the best of times and we usually ended up hanging around waiting for a bench or a squat rack so were just gonna stick with what we have at home. just need to find extra weight plates as himself is nearly up to what we have already lol

Think a lot of people will be doing that. Good that you have each other to motivate yourself too.

"

Hes been working out all the way through. and im sitting here like a bag of potatoes lol. Im starting back tomorrow. I got my food back in check so workouts start tomorrow and its handy were able to spot each other for the weights

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I'm definitely trying to get fitter. Ive realised now unfit I am but trying to stay motivated and get out and do the exercise now.

"Were not rejoining our one. Basically have to queue up and wait to get in. The place is mental down there at the best of times and we usually ended up hanging around waiting for a bench or a squat rack so were just gonna stick with what we have at home. just need to find extra weight plates as himself is nearly up to what we have already lol

Hes been working out all the way through. and im sitting here like a bag of potatoes lol. Im starting back tomorrow. I got my food back in check so workouts start tomorrow and its handy were able to spot each other for the weights"

The food is the hardest part. I have been looking at intermittent fasting just not sure how it will work on night shift

Waterford

Hes been working out all the way through. and im sitting here like a bag of potatoes lol. Im starting back tomorrow. I got my food back in check so workouts start tomorrow and its handy were able to spot each other for the weights

The food is the hardest part. I have been looking at intermittent fasting just not sure how it will work on night shift"

I do intermittent fasting. I did it last year and i lost near 30 pounds. obvs i put back on when my eating went out of control but im back on it now and i think im down over 6 pounds so far (i know the first week is water) You could try having your eating window for during the night when youre on nights as opposed to during the day.

Waterford

"I'm definitely trying to get fitter. Ive realised now unfit I am but trying to stay motivated and get out and do the exercise now. "

well done bo. hardest part is getting started x

Look at training as if it was a need. Same as eating or going to loo. It’s something you have to do each day, and sorry walkers, but not worth a curse. You have to sweat and you must get heart rate moving. Again , sorry, but you do not need a gym. Just try and commit half an hour per day of good varied training, as long as you are sweating. Press ups, planks, light weights. Loads of program on line and they are great. Diet is huge , but it’s a lot easier to track food if you are training. 1 x mars bar = 10k run!! Not worth it!

The food is the hardest part. I have been looking at intermittent fasting just not sure how it will work on night shift

I do intermittent fasting. I did it last year and i lost near 30 pounds. obvs i put back on when my eating went out of control but im back on it now and i think im down over 6 pounds so far (i know the first week is water) You could try having your eating window for during the night when youre on nights as opposed to during the day. "

Shifts are mixed. 8-6 2 days 2-12mn 2 days 10pm-8am for 2 nights

"Look at training as if it was a need. Same as eating or going to loo. It’s something you have to do each day, and sorry walkers, but not worth a curse. You have to sweat and you must get heart rate moving. Again , sorry, but you do not need a gym. Just try and commit half an hour per day of good varied training, as long as you are sweating. Press ups, planks, light weights. Loads of program on line and they are great. Diet is huge , but it’s a lot easier to track food if you are training. 1 x mars bar = 10k run!! Not worth it!"

Thank God I don't like mars bars lol

Fair enough, I don’t either. Read a great book about fitness from world war 2. It was all about the five key bodily activities that we don’t do enough off. Jumping, running, swimming, climbing and fighting! By the way Hurling ticks all those boxes, apart from swimming. That’s why they are so fit and strong but don’t look like body builders. I’m staying on this chat as I wish both male and female moved a bit more. A fit tight body always works for me.

Waterford

I do intermittent fasting. I did it last year and i lost near 30 pounds. obvs i put back on when my eating went out of control but im back on it now and i think im down over 6 pounds so far (i know the first week is water) You could try having your eating window for during the night when youre on nights as opposed to during the day.

Shifts are mixed. 8-6 2 days 2-12mn 2 days 10pm-8am for 2 nights "

with some careful planning you might be able to do it. pre made meals etc for work.

with some careful planning you might be able to do it. pre made meals etc for work. "

Yep and avoid the vending machine

I think this whole episode will have changed the way we train for ever.

Less people will go back to gyms as they realise there are alternatives outdoors and at home that they can work in around their life schedule.

There are those that love the gym for its classes and it's structure so that it takes the thinking and planning out of the workout for them and its also a social thing. Gym's and classes will evolve, I've heard more and more people at work say how they've enjoyed outdoor classes recently, even in the rain.

But the biggest message is the health message. Virtually all of those who were younger and apparently had no underlying health problems and didn't do well out of covid were overweight. The only person that can affect that is yourself and dieting alone is not the answer.

"I think this whole episode will have changed the way we train for ever.

Less people will go back to gyms as they realise there are alternatives outdoors and at home that they can work in around their life schedule.

There are those that love the gym for its classes and it's structure so that it takes the thinking and planning out of the workout for them and its also a social thing. Gym's and classes will evolve, I've heard more and more people at work say how they've enjoyed outdoor classes recently, even in the rain.

But the biggest message is the health message. Virtually all of those who were younger and apparently had no underlying health problems and didn't do well out of covid were overweight. The only person that can affect that is yourself and dieting alone is not the answer. "

Think the outdoor classes are a great idea

Waterford

with some careful planning you might be able to do it. pre made meals etc for work.

Yep and avoid the vending machine "

the snacking is the worst habit that im trying to break. Ive stopped getting the kids biscuits and that or ill end up eating them

The food is the hardest part. I have been looking at intermittent fasting just not sure how it will work on night shift"

Once you do the gym enough, you can eat whatever you want and you actually feel hungrier. Just no rubbish food

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"Look at training as if it was a need. Same as eating or going to loo. It’s something you have to do each day, and sorry walkers, but not worth a curse. You have to sweat and you must get heart rate moving. Again , sorry, but you do not need a gym. Just try and commit half an hour per day of good varied training, as long as you are sweating. Press ups, planks, light weights. Loads of program on line and they are great. Diet is huge , but it’s a lot easier to track food if you are training. 1 x mars bar = 10k run!! Not worth it!"

I have to disagree with you totally on the walking part. I don't go to gyms or do home workouts or any other form of exercise apart from hillwalking and I certainly don't watch my diet but yet I'm the leanest and fittest I've ever been in my life.

Since taking up walking I've lost a stone and a half and kept that off for 8 years with virtually no effort apart from walking.

I remember watching a program on health on BBC. They put a bowl of cream in front of a group and asked them to eat it all, they couldn’t. They then put a bowl of sugar and same again asked them to eat all, they couldn’t! Mix the two together, gone! Fat and sugar mixed are so bad for bods. Sounds like a lecture but folks have to get real about the whole food thing. Eat normal food without the sauces and you’re on the right road.

Join a class three times per week and up it to 5 per week within 2 months.

Try to then include something else like, tennis, canoeing, etc.

I started back in May and I must admit it’s the best thing I did in years

"Look at training as if it was a need. Same as eating or going to loo. It’s something you have to do each day, and sorry walkers, but not worth a curse. You have to sweat and you must get heart rate moving. Again , sorry, but you do not need a gym. Just try and commit half an hour per day of good varied training, as long as you are sweating. Press ups, planks, light weights. Loads of program on line and they are great. Diet is huge , but it’s a lot easier to track food if you are training. 1 x mars bar = 10k run!! Not worth it!

I have to disagree with you totally on the walking part. I don't go to gyms or do home workouts or any other form of exercise apart from hillwalking and I certainly don't watch my diet but yet I'm the leanest and fittest I've ever been in my life.

Since taking up walking I've lost a stone and a half and kept that off for 8 years with virtually no effort apart from walking. "

Point taking. But you must be getting heart rate up with your walking and you must be putting in the miles. Fair play by the way. But, half an hour of HIT training would still burn more than a two hour walk. I love waking myself but I don’t get the sweat and muscle workout that I think body needs.

"Join a class three times per week and up it to 5 per week within 2 months.

I started back in May and I must admit it’s the best thing I did in years "

Good going. I used to do 6-7 classes a week, some back to back but unfortunately my work roster and commute doesn't allow that now

A good nutritional diet or food habits is the foundation for any fitness..eat good ..feel good ..

Eat crap ..feel crap ..what's the point is eating crap and then trying to work it all off..eat right and you don't have to do as much exercise and work outs either ... Everything in proportion is the key .. diet and exercise...

Me. Finding it very hard to get my mojo back. I won’t say it’s good to see so many others feel the same bit it’s making me feel less bad that it’s a common problem atm.

We should all use this group as motivation. Check in everyday to see if you’ve trained. If you haven’t then you won’t get spanked!

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Join a class three times per week and up it to 5 per week within 2 months.

I started back in May and I must admit it’s the best thing I did in years

Good going. I used to do 6-7 classes a week, some back to back but unfortunately my work roster and commute doesn't allow that now"

Im not surprised tho with your schedule it would be so difficult. I find it hard with mine and I've a short enough commute yours is crazy.

"We should all use this group as motivation. Check in everyday to see if you’ve trained. If you haven’t then you won’t get spanked! "

That's the plan.

By *ornyfireCouple  over a year ago

Middle Earth

"Look at training as if it was a need. Same as eating or going to loo. It’s something you have to do each day, and sorry walkers, but not worth a curse. You have to sweat and you must get heart rate moving. Again , sorry, but you do not need a gym. Just try and commit half an hour per day of good varied training, as long as you are sweating. Press ups, planks, light weights. Loads of program on line and they are great. Diet is huge , but it’s a lot easier to track food if you are training. 1 x mars bar = 10k run!! Not worth it!

Since taking up walking I've lost a stone and a half and kept that off for 8 years with virtually no effort apart from walking. "

Yes but your hill walking that is alot harder and your using all your body. I can run 10k no problem but climbing the hill (mountain) at the back of my house and I'm looking for mountain rescue to get me down. Hubby who does it regularly can eat all around him no bother no gym no running

"Point taking. But you must be getting heart rate up with your walking and you must be putting in the miles. Fair play by the way. But, half an hour of HIT training would still burn more than a two hour walk. I love waking myself but I don’t get the sweat and muscle workout that I think body needs. "

It also significantly increases your chances of injury and for someone starting out or coming back HITT it is a bad move as it could well be too much too quickly for your body to handle.

Great if you're already at a certain level of fitness, know your body, know the warning signs to look out for and know when it's telling you that you need rest. As body recomp is one of the best ways to do it

"Point taking. But you must be getting heart rate up with your walking and you must be putting in the miles. Fair play by the way. But, half an hour of HIT training would still burn more than a two hour walk. I love waking myself but I don’t get the sweat and muscle workout that I think body needs.

It also significantly increases your chances of injury and for someone starting out or coming back HITT it is a bad move as it could well be too much too quickly for your body to handle.

Great if you're already at a certain level of fitness, know your body, know the warning signs to look out for and know when it's telling you that you need rest. As body recomp is one of the best ways to do it"

Great chat but I disagree. I think people suffer from aches, pains, pulled muscles from lack of some resistance training. We are programmed to lift, pull , push , run and lifestyle, work really make that hard to do. Yes injury from weights is common but I’m taking just body weight and moving. If injury happens with that well then heal and move on. Not a reason not to train.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

"Ok so who needs motivation or support to get back training or start training. (lockdown for me was a disaster as work kept me busy)

If you think you can help motivate others and willing to share tips, or even find a training buddy.

A group for singles and couples , "

Got back into it this week again,myself and a buddy are doing 3 days during the week and then weekends are optional...I've def missed it

"Great chat but I disagree. I think people suffer from aches, pains, pulled muscles from lack of some resistance training. We are programmed to lift, pull , push , run and lifestyle, work really make that hard to do. Yes injury from weights is common but I’m taking just body weight and moving. If injury happens with that well then heal and move on. Not a reason not to train. "

I'm not saying it's not a reason to train, but walk before you can run is a saying for a reason.

Given that the HI stands for high intensity it might be a bit much for someone starting out or rehabbing is all I said

"Great chat but I disagree. I think people suffer from aches, pains, pulled muscles from lack of some resistance training. We are programmed to lift, pull , push , run and lifestyle, work really make that hard to do. Yes injury from weights is common but I’m taking just body weight and moving. If injury happens with that well then heal and move on. Not a reason not to train.

I'm not saying it's not a reason to train, but walk before you can run is a saying for a reason.

Given that the HI stands for high intensity it might be a bit much for someone starting out or rehabbing is all I said"

"Great chat but I disagree. I think people suffer from aches, pains, pulled muscles from lack of some resistance training. We are programmed to lift, pull , push , run and lifestyle, work really make that hard to do. Yes injury from weights is common but I’m taking just body weight and moving. If injury happens with that well then heal and move on. Not a reason not to train.

Given that the HI stands for high intensity it might be a bit much for someone starting out or rehabbing is all I said"

Fair enough but whatever you do get your sweat up. That’s the cal burn.

Totally agree. And not just for people getting back into fitness or starting out. Some people just can handle hiit and to say that's its because of lack of resistance training is bs. There are professional athletes that have retired due to injury in their 20's. And they are surrounded by the best of medics, physio therapists and trainers. Their life basically revolves around being as fit and healthy as possible. And if some of them cant keep doing anything high intensity then how can u expect a normal joe soap that works 50 plus hour weeks.Enjoying what u do is also important because it is too hard to motivate yourself to do something u hate regularly. I'd have no interest in going to a circuit training class and I hate running for the sake of running. But give me a ball and I'd attempt to run after it all day or I'd gladly incline walk for 5k plus on a treadmill. Which by the way I'd be sweating my bollocks of after and not putting all my joints under as intense pressure as if I went running on a road. It's the reason I cant even play astro turf anymore never mind playing footie on grass. Iv the ankles of a 90 year old iv twisted them so much over the years. I get the point about getting your heart rate up but not everybody is capable of doing hiit

What's important is finding what works for you. Running is not for me, have an Achilles tendon injury and I detest running, give me a spin class or a good HIIT class, I have attended HIIT classes I know what I'm capable off and I push myself to my limit. Everyone is different its Getting proper advice and sometimes just having a workout buddy or someone that pushed you is important too. That's the whole point of group if anyone wants to join let me know.

Waterford

I think people should go with what works for them. I do heavy weights and mma (and bjj when it starts up again) thats my training. I did HIIT once and i couldnt walk properly for a week. Some people i know love HIIT but hate weights. Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes

I need someone to wrestle the Jaffa cakes away from me and give me a training plan

"I think people should go with what works for them. I do heavy weights and mma (and bjj when it starts up again) thats my training. I did HIIT once and i couldnt walk properly for a week. Some people i know love HIIT but hate weights. Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes"

I love weights just find any gym you go to , too many posers blocking up weights. And than come the smart comments ur a girl I can't lift that lol

I do a few youtube Videos by Wilitary, do about 5 r 6 together. Pushes me gets heart rate up and feel good after.

Waterford

"I think people should go with what works for them. I do heavy weights and mma (and bjj when it starts up again) thats my training. I did HIIT once and i couldnt walk properly for a week. Some people i know love HIIT but hate weights. Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes

I love weights just find any gym you go to , too many posers blocking up weights. And than come the smart comments ur a girl I can't lift that lol

I do a few youtube Videos by Wilitary, do about 5 r 6 together. Pushes me gets heart rate up and feel good after. "

Oh dont get me started on the posers or the groups of "gym bros" hogging the equipment. I was waiting on a deadlift platform one day and a fella took off his tshirt and started posing in the mirror while on said platform but not doing weights. i was ffs i was cracking up

tipperary

Anyone try boxfit

I was never one into gyms and weights. When I say HIT I really meant squats, planks etc without weights but done in a quick manner. My point is that these moves will reduce risk of injury in long run but of course you you need start slow and build. This chat is about fitness. This stuff will get you fit and firm but overnight. I reckon if you can commit to three weeks of anything it becomes easier. It needs to be work, not easy.

By *hake that assWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere

"I think people should go with what works for them. I do heavy weights and mma (and bjj when it starts up again) thats my training. I did HIIT once and i couldnt walk properly for a week. Some people i know love HIIT but hate weights. Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes

I do a few youtube Videos by Wilitary, do about 5 r 6 together. Pushes me gets heart rate up and feel good after.

Oh dont get me started on the posers or the groups of "gym bros" hogging the equipment. I was waiting on a deadlift platform one day and a fella took off his tshirt and started posing in the mirror while on said platform but not doing weights. i was ffs i was cracking up "

Nothing worse than the showboaters or mirror muscle folk!

Definitely best to find something you enjoy and it becomes less like a chore. It takes upto 2 months plus to form a habit so consistency is key. And having someone to kick your ass or train with is always a bonus!

Walking can burn calories and increase heart rate, semi fasted or fasted especially, uses more fat than carbs. But some people hate it and it needs to be in at the right pace!

Sorry, the OP titled post about getting fit. You won’t get fit from walking. It’s not efficient. I was walking miles during lockdown but if you want to get fit you have sweat, breathe heavily (fat leaves body through breath!) and work the muscles. If anyone needs a motivation buddy pm me. My own mum took up some lite weights for her shoulders and she can’t get over the difference.

Waterford

"I was never one into gyms and weights. When I say HIT I really meant squats, planks etc without weights but done in a quick manner. My point is that these moves will reduce risk of injury in long run but of course you you need start slow and build. This chat is about fitness. This stuff will get you fit and firm but overnight. I reckon if you can commit to three weeks of anything it becomes easier. It needs to be work, not easy. "

I hear what youre saying but not everyone can do those exercises. For example me personally i cannot do planks, crunches, twists etc as i have diastasis recti after my 4th by c section. Doing those exercises will actually make it worse so i concentrate on bridges, heel slides etc regarding my core and pelvis

"Sorry, the OP titled post about getting fit. You won’t get fit from walking. It’s not efficient. I was walking miles during lockdown but if you want to get fit you have sweat, breathe heavily (fat leaves body through breath!) and work the muscles. If anyone needs a motivation buddy pm me. My own mum took up some lite weights for her shoulders and she can’t get over the difference. "

The point I think you're failing to grasp is sometimes you need to start somewhere. Everyone's starting point will be different. For some just taking that walk can be a huge thing, even just in terms of motivation to become more active. It really makes my shit itch when people negate that effort some make just to get started by telling them it's not enough. That starting point of just taking a walk can lead to other things. Not least perhaps a boost to their outlook and mental health which in turn may encourage them to do more.

"I was never one into gyms and weights. When I say HIT I really meant squats, planks etc without weights but done in a quick manner. My point is that these moves will reduce risk of injury in long run but of course you you need start slow and build. This chat is about fitness. This stuff will get you fit and firm but overnight. I reckon if you can commit to three weeks of anything it becomes easier. It needs to be work, not easy.

I hear what youre saying but not everyone can do those exercises. For example me personally i cannot do planks, crunches, twists etc as i have diastasis recti after my 4th by c section. Doing those exercises will actually make it worse so i concentrate on bridges, heel slides etc regarding my core and pelvis"

Fair play. All I’m saying is to do something that’s gets the sweat and breath up and working.

But sorry , too many people but up excuses and barriers. Folks need to push a bit and that’s only reason I’m posting. We all need a kick up ass sometimes.

[Removed by poster at 12/07/20 14:16:49]

"Sorry, the OP titled post about getting fit. You won’t get fit from walking. It’s not efficient. I was walking miles during lockdown but if you want to get fit you have sweat, breathe heavily (fat leaves body through breath!) and work the muscles. If anyone needs a motivation buddy pm me. My own mum took up some lite weights for her shoulders and she can’t get over the difference.

The point I think you're failing to grasp is sometimes you need to start somewhere. Everyone's starting point will be different. For some just taking that walk can be a huge thing, even just in terms of motivation to become more active. It really makes my shit itch when people negate that effort some make just to get started by telling them it's not enough. That starting point of just taking a walk can lead to other things. Not least perhaps a boost to their outlook and mental health which in turn may encourage them to do more. "

It's just about starting isn't it whether you join a gym, take up a new class or just promise to go for a 20 min walk a day. The more active we are the better for our mental health and physical health and both work together. As I've said everyone will be at different points in their fitness. I have t trained properly in months but can still carry a 40kg bag of coal from car to coal bunker. Just don't ask me to run lol

"Sorry, the OP titled post about getting fit. You won’t get fit from walking. It’s not efficient. I was walking miles during lockdown but if you want to get fit you have sweat, breathe heavily (fat leaves body through breath!) and work the muscles. If anyone needs a motivation buddy pm me. My own mum took up some lite weights for her shoulders and she can’t get over the difference.

The point I think you're failing to grasp is sometimes you need to start somewhere. Everyone's starting point will be different. For some just taking that walk can be a huge thing, even just in terms of motivation to become more active. It really makes my shit itch when people negate that effort some make just to get started by telling them it's not enough. That starting point of just taking a walk can lead to other things. Not least perhaps a boost to their outlook and mental health which in turn may encourage them to do more. "

I’m sorry, not looking for an argument. Everyone can walk, we walk to bed, toilet the car, whatever. You won’t get fit from walking. Walking to get fit takes huge amount of time and can be really boring. Hiking and hill waking is totally different from a walk! The problem with peoples fitness is that they don’t push themselves and look for reasons not to do it.

The point I think you're failing to grasp is sometimes you need to start somewhere. Everyone's starting point will be different. For some just taking that walk can be a huge thing, even just in terms of motivation to become more active. It really makes my shit itch when people negate that effort some make just to get started by telling them it's not enough. That starting point of just taking a walk can lead to other things. Not least perhaps a boost to their outlook and mental health which in turn may encourage them to do more.

It's just about starting isn't it whether you join a gym, take up a new class or just promise to go for a 20 min walk a day. The more active we are the better for our mental health and physical health and both work together. As I've said everyone will be at different points in their fitness. I have t trained properly in months but can still carry a 40kg bag of coal from car to coal bunker. Just don't ask me to run lol"

Absolutely, especially following lockdown when a lot of people have found themselves at their lowest ebb, I think ANYTHING that encourages a "foot out the door" mentality is to be lauded not discouraged.

I’m sorry, not looking for an argument. Everyone can walk, we walk to bed, toilet the car, whatever. You won’t get fit from walking. Walking to get fit takes huge amount of time and can be really boring. Hiking and hill waking is totally different from a walk! The problem with peoples fitness is that they don’t push themselves and look for reasons not to do it. "

You're still missing the point so I'm done trying to explain it.

Everyone knows their own body.

And if they don't by now, exercise is a great way of getting to know it. Too may people exercise blindly and irresponsibly.

The only thing that can injure yourself in any form of exercise (apart from contact sports) is yourself through poor form, not engaging with the right muscle groups (you need to think about muscles youre recruiting) and not knowing your weaknesses and what you need to work on.

Just find an activity that works for you and you enjoy. Take responsibility for your own body and limitations and go from there.

No one was able to run before they could walk.

My own look out is.. I don't keep a record of any of my times for runs or rows or my max lifts and reps because I've a full time job, I've a life, I might not have had time to eat properly that day or slept well the night before. So trying to beat my best times or heavy lifts with suboptimal prep is pointless and frustrating. I just do whatever until I feel busted and I've worked up a sweat and invariably it makes me feel good about myself and thaglt I've made the effort.

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 12/07/20 14:27:46]

Guys, some great advices and se good arguments. There is a group if you want to join in, message OP or myself

By the way I can't run to save my life.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

I’m sorry, not looking for an argument. Everyone can walk, we walk to bed, toilet the car, whatever. You won’t get fit from walking. Walking to get fit takes huge amount of time and can be really boring. Hiking and hill waking is totally different from a walk! The problem with peoples fitness is that they don’t push themselves and look for reasons not to do it. "

Just because walking doesn't work for you doesnt mean it doesn't work for everyone. Pushing what works for you onto people is so off putting. I know lots of people who were classed as obese who took up walking and lost loads of weight.....myself included

Waterford

"Anyone try boxfit"

I tried one or two classes but id take a proper kickboxing class any day tbh

Train MMA and BJJ, completely stopped for almost all of last year due to mental health shenanigans.

Managed to use lockdown as a training bubble for myself.

Main thing I found that helped was to simply manage to do something every day.

Work out one day and feel sore the next?Grand just do stretching and mobility that evening.

Low energy after a long day at work?No worries 20 min walk/dog walk + stretching and mobility.

I found this in itself created the momentum to stay in the right track most of the time, but as always it's about balance and what suits and fits your needs.

Also have found a kettle bell very handy multi purpose home workout tool

I’m sorry, not looking for an argument. Everyone can walk, we walk to bed, toilet the car, whatever. You won’t get fit from walking. Walking to get fit takes huge amount of time and can be really boring. Hiking and hill waking is totally different from a walk! The problem with peoples fitness is that they don’t push themselves and look for reasons not to do it.

Just because walking doesn't work for you doesnt mean it doesn't work for everyone. Pushing what works for you onto people is so off putting. I know lots of people who were classed as obese who took up walking and lost loads of weight.....myself included"

So defensive! I am not pushing anything on anyone. I’m just offering what I found works for me. Of course walking is brill for losing weight as long as diet is appropriate, but I’m sorry, I thought this post was in relation to fitness, not about walking. I was only trying to encourage folk, not insult.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Just because walking doesn't work for you doesnt mean it doesn't work for everyone. Pushing what works for you onto people is so off putting. I know lots of people who were classed as obese who took up walking and lost loads of weight.....myself included

So defensive! I am not pushing anything on anyone. I’m just offering what I found works for me. Of course walking is brill for losing weight as long as diet is appropriate, but I’m sorry, I thought this post was in relation to fitness, not about walking. I was only trying to encourage folk, not insult. "

Fair play if you are trying to encourage but telling anyone who is using walking as their first step( pun intended) towards fitness that what they are doing is pointless and a waste of time doesn't class as encouragement.

By *scouple07Couple  over a year ago

louth, Ireland

We have both just joined up at a gym to try and get fitter

So defensive! I am not pushing anything on anyone. I’m just offering what I found works for me. Of course walking is brill for losing weight as long as diet is appropriate, but I’m sorry, I thought this post was in relation to fitness, not about walking. I was only trying to encourage folk, not insult.

Fair play if you are trying to encourage but telling anyone who is using walking as their first step( pun intended) towards fitness that what they are doing is pointless and a waste of time doesn't class as encouragement. "

Sometimes ya to stop flapping and dig in. Reality might not be pleasant. I never said not to walk as a first step. What I said was if you want to get fit (title of chat) walking will not do it. Of course it’s fantastic for people to lose weight. I walk most evenings so that I’m away from the kitchen and not snacking on crap. Maybe I’m writing my words down poorly, but if somebody is struggling with weight I would strongly encourage them to start some form of training that’s gets the sweat up.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

So defensive! I am not pushing anything on anyone. I’m just offering what I found works for me. Of course walking is brill for losing weight as long as diet is appropriate, but I’m sorry, I thought this post was in relation to fitness, not about walking. I was only trying to encourage folk, not insult. "

Sorry wasn't meant to be taken up as defensive but to dismiss everyone that walks for exercise, that its not enough is insulting....( just the way you've come across to me.....sorry)

"Ok so who needs motivation or support to get back training or start training. (lockdown for me was a disaster as work kept me busy)

I'd be interested! Love to have a training buddy

A group for singles and couples , "

If anyone interested in joining and keeping each other motivated message me or dear_devil.

We all have to start somewhere

tipperary

"Anyone try boxfit

I tried one or two classes but id take a proper kickboxing class any day tbh"

Theres one in the town close to me...and it's a proper boxing coach that does it,its meant to be fairly intense

tipperary

"If anyone interested in joining and keeping each other motivated message me or dear_devil.

We all have to start somewhere"

Have you started a group

Waterford

"Anyone try boxfit

I tried one or two classes but id take a proper kickboxing class any day tbh

Theres one in the town close to me...and it's a proper boxing coach that does it,its meant to be fairly intense "

well if its a good coach theres absolutely no harm in trying. After all what works for one person may not work for another. Find something you love and go with it. Have a great time with it. Nothing like a good round of bagwork and padwork to ease the stresses of the day

By *B 4099Man  over a year ago

North West, Outer Letterkenny area

"Sorry, the OP titled post about getting fit. You won’t get fit from walking. It’s not efficient. I was walking miles during lockdown but if you want to get fit you have sweat, breathe heavily (fat leaves body through breath!) and work the muscles. If anyone needs a motivation buddy pm me. My own mum took up some lite weights for her shoulders and she can’t get over the difference. "
not entirely accurate not entirely wrong. Yes carbon dioxide can be one area that fat is expelled but its not just that. Fat breaks down i. The body and is used for energy , it can be expelled in sweat, from the kidneys, urine, faeces etc. Or through ketosis. If its losing weight a calorie deficit and working out will do great. Getting the heart rate up. No matter what you do you can't outrun diet. Most people here with a very toned body will tell you diet is massive. You can be in great physical shape aesthetically but not be fit. It really depends what you are looking to achieve. And the best of luck to ALL that you get what you want to from whatever you do.

Waterford

"Sorry, the OP titled post about getting fit. You won’t get fit from walking. It’s not efficient. I was walking miles during lockdown but if you want to get fit you have sweat, breathe heavily (fat leaves body through breath!) and work the muscles. If anyone needs a motivation buddy pm me. My own mum took up some lite weights for her shoulders and she can’t get over the difference. not entirely accurate not entirely wrong. Yes carbon dioxide can be one area that fat is expelled but its not just that. Fat breaks down i. The body and is used for energy , it can be expelled in sweat, from the kidneys, urine, faeces etc. Or through ketosis. If its losing weight a calorie deficit and working out will do great. Getting the heart rate up. No matter what you do you can't outrun diet. Most people here with a very toned body will tell you diet is massive. You can be in great physical shape aesthetically but not be fit. It really depends what you are looking to achieve. And the best of luck to ALL that you get what you want to from whatever you do.

"

as himself constantly reminds me is 80% diet 20% exercise

By *ommando4Man  over a year ago

South Co. Dublin

It’s tough returning after a couple of months lay-off during lockdown but pretty quickly you get until the routine and habit without having to think to much about exercise. Try and do something 5 or 6 days a week. Group exercise or team sports can be an additional motivator. After a week or two the stiffness will go and then you can begin to push yourself which is when your really start to see results. Exercise has the added benefit of producing endorphins so you get a natural high and feel invigorated all day. It’s what keeps me half way sane.

I walk and cycle everywhere and have a big heavy sand punch bag in the shed for kicking and pushing around and jabbing. I hang upside down for a few minutes and do stretches at the end. I do it twice a day. I don't eat any proccesed foods. I have never been a gym member

Anymore good recommendation for where to buy weights etc?

Waterford

"Anymore good recommendation for where to buy weights etc? "

This was told me a few days ago by a friend of mine whos friends with a guy who runs a gym equipment supply place. Theres a shortage of steel due to all the factories being locked down so dumbbells, barbells and benches are next to near impossible to get and he has no idea when they are going to start coming back in

By *rcher88Man  over a year ago

town

"Anymore good recommendation for where to buy weights etc? "

Apollofitness is a good place to start but everything is scarce at the moment? A good shout for classes might be crossfit? Only so many per class and you get to use weights along with cardio and gymnastic workouts? Each to their own though?

By *eter ClarkMan  over a year ago

Inverness

"Fair enough, I don’t either. Read a great book about fitness from world war 2. It was all about the five key bodily activities that we don’t do enough off. Jumping, running, swimming, climbing and fighting! By the way Hurling ticks all those boxes, apart from swimming. That’s why they are so fit and strong but don’t look like body builders. I’m staying on this chat as I wish both male and female moved a bit more. A fit tight body always works for me. "
What no Sex?

"Anymore good recommendation for where to buy weights etc?

This was told me a few days ago by a friend of mine whos friends with a guy who runs a gym equipment supply place. Theres a shortage of steel due to all the factories being locked down so dumbbells, barbells and benches are next to near impossible to get and he has no idea when they are going to start coming back in"

my son lent all ours to his mate. He may get them back

"Anymore good recommendation for where to buy weights etc?

Apollofitness is a good place to start but everything is scarce at the moment? A good shout for classes might be crossfit? Only so many per class and you get to use weights along with cardio and gymnastic workouts? Each to their own though?"

If I didn't work shift work classes be good but with my roster I may get one class this week, none next, two the following way too sporadic

Inverness

Yes I think any exercise is good. The more you enjoy it the better it will work for you. Set yourself a 30 day challenge. By the time you are finished you will have a new habit

Inverness

I have lost 6kg over lockdown from running, yoga and reducing alcohol.

By *hake that assWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere

Mcsport .ie is good for getting equipment off. Or keep an eye on donedeal and adverts as there'll be some there once folk get back to gyms again and stop using their home stuff.

I'd changed job a while ago and was so busy that training was pretty much non-existent. A change of job and lockdown has completely turned that around. I've been back hard at it since feb and I'm loving it

By *ajobMan  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Whatever ya do...dont do fasted(cardio/workout cause it burns more calories or fat....BS)stuff....eat good high dense low calorie foods thatll fill u up without the high calorie count....calories in- calories out....weight your foods and work it out from there,then reduce uour calories by no more than 500 when you workout what u need to stay at your normal weight....

Do cardio! It burns calories

Eat your carbs....carbs dont get you to gain weight(carbs give u energy in a good way) eating in a caloric surplus does...

Do add in weight traing if you can...it will help build muscle and shape your body and mind...any form of exercise will do wonders forthe body and the mind.....

Every little helps...just reduce uour calories and going for a walk will help you see and feel a difference in a matter of weeks

Having a Discetomy next week so will be out of action for 2 months. Hoping the local leisure centre will be back up and running as walking in water is all im allowed to do for a while. What are these core exercises I keep hearing about and could I look to start doing them as an aid to recovery TIA.

By *oingMan  over a year ago

co. antrim

I’ve put on covid kilos so getting back to clean eating and start off lightly to get my body used to weight training again. After a few weeks I’m aiming to be lifting what I was previously. I plan to take measurements and progress pics to keep myself in check

» Add a new message to this topic