FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Did anyone ever get their dream job

Did anyone ever get their dream job

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *og-Man OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

Its that time of the year when the kids have their first meeting with the career guidance teacher.

My young fella is in tomorrow and I'm dying to see how he gets on

When I was a kid I wanted to be an electrician...get an apprenticeship was all my parents would say and I really thought it was my future and I had it in my head from about the age of 10

So I qualified and never worked a day at it since ....my dream job and I hated it.

Did anyone ever get to live whatever dream job they wanted as a little girl or boy

Did you want to stay as a homemaker with kids and did you get to do it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *1shadesofnaughtyMan  over a year ago

South Limerick

Lad I went to school with did....train driver...he's the only one I know of.

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

All I ever wanted was a blow job

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pilot of figher jets or car safety & design engineer

I'm neither but I work in a job I love and in an area I did want I just dont wear a uniform.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Circumstances and responsibilities at the time meant I didn't have the luxury of getting anywhere near a dream job or even thinking about one.

I've had 4 jobs in 37 years and can't honestly say I enjoyed any of them. I was 100% committed to each of them and always went over and above what was expected but they were simply a way to feed my family and keep a roof over their heads.

Yes, for a brief period

I feel, like many fantasies, a dream job will be a let down. Whether that's because you don't click with the people, you over/under emphasised a component of the job or plainly, your life changed between forming the view and starting the job.

somewhere

I remember also thinking a fireman was a cool job before i understood the dangers of it

Every now and then a fireman pops up on here with a profile picture of him in uniform either fighting a fire or holding his hose and I have to admit to having feelings of jealousy

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I did my dream job for almost 30 years. Well I loved the job but the pay and holiday time given every year was crap. That's why I ended up having to leave it a few years ago. The job I do now is nice and the pay etc are better and I guess I was lucky to do a job I loved for so long.

By *ome_wild_girlWoman  over a year ago

Antrim Town

I never really knew what I wanted to do growing up, trained and retrained for different careers, but I'm happiest now driving for a living, out and about, not chained to a desk, took a few years but got there in the end.

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I dont have my dream job... because I would love to make more money at what I do. But i do enjoy my work. I've only got myself to blame as i run my own business.

If I won the lotto id open a coffee shop/wine bar that looks like the coffee shop in friends

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

Never knew what I wanted to do until about a year ago so now that's my goal.

Problem is my dream job would be writing music for low budget Independent movies so it ain't gonna be easy

somewhere

"All I ever wanted was a blow job "

What did the career guidance teacher say to that

By *ed just RedWoman  over a year ago

Dublin City

Yeah I was a SAHM and loved it. I still love being a Mam, my kids are freaking awesome, but I’m bored senseless being home. My part time job vanished in Covid and I’m broke and pissed off. I’ve had other jobs over the years that I adored too, would love to retrain. Again tho, money.

somewhere

"If I won the lotto id open a coffee shop/wine bar that looks like the coffee shop in friends"

Bags the sofa

somewhere

"Never knew what I wanted to do until about a year ago so now that's my goal.

Problem is my dream job would be writing music for low budget Independent movies so it ain't gonna be easy "

My mate always had the same dream and wrote the music for "The General"

Never give up

somewhere

"Yeah I was a SAHM and loved it. I still love being a Mam, my kids are freaking awesome, but I’m bored senseless being home. My part time job vanished in Covid and I’m broke and pissed off. I’ve had other jobs over the years that I adored too, would love to retrain. Again tho, money. "

Hopefully the part time job comes back eventually

somewhere

"Yes, for a brief period "

Was it everything you hoped it would be

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

"Never knew what I wanted to do until about a year ago so now that's my goal.

Problem is my dream job would be writing music for low budget Independent movies so it ain't gonna be easy

My mate always had the same dream and wrote the music for "The General"

Never give up "

Cool

somewhere

"I dont have my dream job... because I would love to make more money at what I do. But i do enjoy my work. I've only got myself to blame as i run my own business. "

It has other benefits but yes money makes a difference

"Yes, for a brief period

Was it everything you hoped it would be "

Immense craic Bogman

somewhere

"I never really knew what I wanted to do growing up, trained and retrained for different careers, but I'm happiest now driving for a living, out and about, not chained to a desk, took a few years but got there in the end. "

I was driving all day today around meath in my car

Really enjoyable day for it and I get to do one of my favorite things when parked....perve the local see whos near on fab especially when I know them from the forum.

Its a bit of craic wondering do you drive past them

What do you drive

No, it all went wrong for me at A Level. I'm a science nerd at heart (Mrs) but I chose languages because I was exceptionally good at them. But I'd no passion for it so dropped out. I was lucky to fall into a science based job that I loved and I worked in that sector until the industry I was involved in all but disappeared from NI but it was never my dream job. I then fell into an HR role which surprisingly I loved.

I hope that my benefit of hindsight is helping my teenagers with their subject choices so that they've flexibility when it comes to A levels and university

By *anFromMarsMan  over a year ago

North

Am still waiting for that call from Honda MotoGP to sign me up

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

I wanted to be a garda. Got a bit of a land when i realised i wasnt getting past the 5'1 mark. So I went into law. I got a decent job in a solicitors literally straight out of college and it was grand but I hated being chained to a desk and the workload was monstrous. never again

By *eralt80Man  over a year ago

cork

Like a lot of teenagers, when I left school I didn’t have a clue what I wanted to do. I went to college because it seemed like a good idea and everyone else was going. I was doing a coarse I didn’t like and dropped out after the first year. After that I went which I preferred but knew it was a dead end job so left after 6 months and started my apprenticeship and haven’t looked back since. Live the work now although sometimes the job itself can be frustrating.

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

south side

I gave up the most boring job in the world, even though my father wanted me to stay in it. I then had a fantastic career, travelling, meeting lots of people in a very exciting job... Which I eventually got bored at after many years. I now have another job(it's not work, it's my passion) , and love it even more.

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"I gave up the most boring job in the world, even though my father wanted me to stay in it. I then had a fantastic career, travelling, meeting lots of people in a very exciting job... Which I eventually got bored at after many years. I now have another job(it's not work, it's my passion) , and love it even more. "

Love this

By *eaAndBenCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

"I gave up the most boring job in the world, even though my father wanted me to stay in it. I then had a fantastic career, travelling, meeting lots of people in a very exciting job... Which I eventually got bored at after many years. I now have another job(it's not work, it's my passion) , and love it even more. "

That’s a amazing! Fair play to you x

Yes I currently have mine

And your very good at it too

Well never give up your dreams no matter what they are im quiet lucky where i work and i do love it fell into by pure chance when i was younger getting a trade was considered a good job so i did qualified as a plasterer which is a fantastic trade to have dont do it as much any more but do the odd nickser for mates and things like that

By *ateniteCouple  over a year ago

Youghal

I (Mr) had my mine straight from school. Left it after 12 years for "personal" reasons (we're divorced now)

I do love what l do for a living ..absolutely..but l cant lie my dream as a kid was always to be a famous Rock star or a professional soccer player..shur hey l suppose what kid doesnt ??? But ...many are called...few are chosen ..

By *londy84Man  over a year ago

Carrickmacross

I wanted to be lumberjack.

And when I finished school I did it. Managed to do 6 years at it and loved every minute of it.

Would love to go back to it again but they don't pay enough for it in Ireland.

By *inxnmasterCouple  over a year ago

naughty valley

I believe a dream job is what the name already implies, a dream.

I studied winery. specialized in Champagne making . I can tell it was the cheapest time of my life to have dink , that’s for sure. But before graduating i knew i wanted to pursue a professional career as a musician . After graduation from the college of food and beverage I did just that . In the beginning it was great fun and as a young man i was easily blinded by the superficiality of glamour and fame . I wrote music for Theaters and TV productions in the 90‘s. However if what you love becomes a chore the dream quickly evaporites . When I reached the point where many of my music mates started to get excessive on the booze or doing drugs i decided to change career once again and went into business administration. and accountancy . At the top of my employed career I worked as Finance Manager of the European Walt Disney Supply chain organization . At some stage I was sick of corporate politics so I left a „dream job“ to start my own consultancy . Now after 15 successful years I am changing career again and make acoustic guitars

Anything can be a dream job or a nightmare . And one can achieve any dream if one dares , as longest you pursue the success and not the money . If you are successful the money will follow you . If you pursue it focussed on the money you will chase it all your life but not matter how far you get - it will not satisfy you

The Master of Minxnmaster

somewhere

"I believe a dream job is what the name already implies, a dream.

I studied winery. specialized in Champagne making . I can tell it was the cheapest time of my life to have dink , that’s for sure. But before graduating i knew i wanted to pursue a professional career as a musician . After graduation from the college of food and beverage I did just that . In the beginning it was great fun and as a young man i was easily blinded by the superficiality of glamour and fame . I wrote music for Theaters and TV productions in the 90‘s. However if what you love becomes a chore the dream quickly evaporites . When I reached the point where many of my music mates started to get excessive on the booze or doing drugs i decided to change career once again and went into business administration. and accountancy . At the top of my employed career I worked as Finance Manager of the European Walt Disney Supply chain organization . At some stage I was sick of corporate politics so I left a „dream job“ to start my own consultancy . Now after 15 successful years I am changing career again and make acoustic guitars

Anything can be a dream job or a nightmare . And one can achieve any dream if one dares , as longest you pursue the success and not the money . If you are successful the money will follow you . If you pursue it focussed on the money you will chase it all your life but not matter how far you get - it will not satisfy you

The Master of Minxnmaster"

Have to ask would we know the tv series or shows

Doing what i always wanted to do as a child just always thought it would be more enjoyable haha

I have my dream job for sure....I wanted a job that was fun, challenging and suited me...which I was lucky enough to find. It has its ups and downs but I wouldn’t change it.

By *inxnmasterCouple  over a year ago

naughty valley

"I believe a dream job is what the name already implies, a dream.

I studied winery. specialized in Champagne making . I can tell it was the cheapest time of my life to have dink , that’s for sure. But before graduating .....

.....Anything can be a dream job or a nightmare . And one can achieve any dream if one dares , as longest you pursue the success and not the money . If you are successful the money will follow you . If you pursue it focussed on the money you will chase it all your life but not matter how far you get - it will not satisfy you

The Master of Minxnmaster

Have to ask would we know the tv series or shows "

Alle meine Töchter ( German sitcom produced in Munich )

Music for Theater production , „Guernica“ at Podium Manufactur Berlin

Televised show of Saint Exupéry‘s „The little Prince“

just to name a few. Making a list would probably bust the subject of this thread

I work in one of the emergency services. Can't say it was a dream job as I wanted to be a game animator but I'm shit at art and creativity. But I've loved every minute of it since I started and regret not going for this job earlier.

By *ountrygent90Man  over a year ago

Dublin

The problem with a lot of jobs is the people you have to work with. Most are either incompetent or assholes.

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan  over a year ago

newcastle

My father told me do something you love and you will never work a day in your life unfortunately he loved whiskey

By *ocktailsdreamsMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

For a year I did as a forester/ forest Ranger.

"For a year I did as a forester/ forest Ranger."

Dream job since I was a kid was always a wild life ranger or ornithology.

It never happened but a job i didn't necessarily like landed me paris for 6 years where I had the time of my life, no regrets

"My father told me do something you love and you will never work a day in your life unfortunately he loved whiskey "

Interesting bio

By *ubeMan  over a year ago

Drogheda

I had a few jobs over the years, but just got on with them, then in 2008 the company I worked for closed, but I fell on my feet and ended up working for myself, doing something I love and I find it hard to call it a job, I get to travel ( well I did ) the world, at the minute I travel Ireland, but all going well i will be out of country again soon. Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good.

Tbh I only ever wanted to be a professional soccer player and knew that wasnt happening by 16 haha since then I've just been working in jobs just for the sake of wanting to work. I don't hate my current job but I really really hate the poor work ethics of my colleagues and the shit managers that do nothing about it. Once the work is done at the end of the day it doesn't matter to management if it was done by 2 people or 10. Theres no reward for hard work and no punishment for shit work. Anyway it's my own fault too for not knowing what I'd like to do and aiming for it ha

I did like lots of things as a child. I was always interested in fixing cars,helping my dad and uncles. It was my dream job but my parents were in shock. I have changed my mind and studied medicine. I left after 2 and half years. I've ended in completely different industry but I really like my job. Problem are sometimes the people I have to work with

By *elfastDMan  over a year ago

belfast

When I went to careers officer in school I thought i wanted to do a certain job, but they actually advised me well and told me the job I actually thought was done by a different career. I’ve been in that career ever since and enjoy it at times every week So good advice does sometimes lead to satisfaction

I did (male half) and got into it on pure luck after years and years of trying to interview my way in and after over a decade at it have come to reliese it's not what I thought it would be so planning to back to collage next year and retrain to start all over again

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.

The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives.

Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

somewhere

"Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.

The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives.

Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't."

Do they wear sunscreen

"Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.

Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

Do they wear sunscreen "

Well, the long term benifits have been proven on sunscreen. Trust me on that!

By *rct4Man  over a year ago

Dublin

"Yeah I was a SAHM and loved it. I still love being a Mam, my kids are freaking awesome, but I’m bored senseless being home. My part time job vanished in Covid and I’m broke and pissed off. I’ve had other jobs over the years that I adored too, would love to retrain. Again tho, money. "
lots off free courses going now online go for it and dont look back

A rockstar but never happened lol. My dream is to be a millionaire and will never stop trying. Lived my dream job since I left school until couldn’t do it anymore. Now I’m running a few businesses.

By *verage Joe BlackMan  over a year ago

Border Area

My dream job was to be James Bond, but that b*****d Craig beat me to it. I was *this* close. I even studied the Aston Martin website so I knew all the models and bought some tight fitting light blue swim shorts.

When he got the part my sky fell in; and even seeing how well he plays the part gives me no quantum of solace. But I won't wallow in the spectre of defeat as its no time to die.

Lucan

"My dream job was to be James Bond, but that b*****d Craig beat me to it. I was *this* close. I even studied the Aston Martin website so I knew all the models and bought some tight fitting light blue swim shorts.

When he got the part my sky fell in; and even seeing how well he plays the part gives me no quantum of solace. But I won't wallow in the spectre of defeat as its no time to die.

"

Never say never again!

By *ndefiniteSparkMan  over a year ago

ignites minds to unite ...

Never in a dream job but had a job that made a few dreams come true.

Does that count?

By *lassy lady 216Woman  over a year ago

Craigavon

Yes im kind of doing my dream job all i ever wanted to be was a nurse like my mum my aunt and my gran im not a nurse but am the next best thing a carer have been doing it 19yrs now and i really love it and even though she is no longer with us i know my gran would be very proud of me especially with whst is happening at the minute i love putting my uniform on every day

Lucan

I wanted to be a bus driver like my grandfather. He was such a big influence on me.

I also want to die peacefully in my sleep like he did, and not screaming and roaring like his passengers.

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

Yup I'm very happy with what I do.

somewhere

"Yup I'm very happy with what I do."

Did you fall into it from the retail field in the first place

Current job isn’t my dream Job but I love it all the same, 12 years at it and never ever dread getting up and going in.

somewhere

"Current job isn’t my dream Job but I love it all the same, 12 years at it and never ever dread getting up and going in. "

Thats brilliant

By *ctoboyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes I did for a little while as I became a Professional Footballer what I had dreamed of as a wee boy watching games....sadly though an injury put end to that prematurely

By *ookingfun82Man  over a year ago

Enniskillen

38 and happy enough in my job, wouldn't call it my dream job but can't say what would be either.

I did but only for a few years I messed it up being the naughty girl that i was. I tried going back into it when i felt like a change of career a few years back again , i discovered that it actually isn't my dream job after all.

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

I have had many many jobs since I left school from Electrician, sales, taxi driver, quality manager, and even undertaker but never did I think I would be self employed making sex furniture. Loving it though. Dirk

somewhere

"I have had many many jobs since I left school from Electrician, sales, taxi driver, quality manager, and even undertaker but never did I think I would be self employed making sex furniture. Loving it though. Dirk"

I don't even know what sex furniture is

Is it your first photo of your profile

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"I have had many many jobs since I left school from Electrician, sales, taxi driver, quality manager, and even undertaker but never did I think I would be self employed making sex furniture. Loving it though. Dirk

"

Haha yeh I am making crosses and spanking benches etc.

somewhere

"I have had many many jobs since I left school from Electrician, sales, taxi driver, quality manager, and even undertaker but never did I think I would be self employed making sex furniture. Loving it though. Dirk

Haha yeh I am making crosses and spanking benches etc. "

Just realised your first photo is from Game of Thrones ....I'm not that thick ....i did mean the other 3 after that

Myself no, himself yes from age of 16 doing exactely what he set out to do but hes mad ambitious, never stops studying.

There is no job like a blowjob lol

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

"Its that time of the year when the kids have their first meeting with the career guidance teacher.

My young fella is in tomorrow and I'm dying to see how he gets on

When I was a kid I wanted to be an electrician...get an apprenticeship was all my parents would say and I really thought it was my future and I had it in my head from about the age of 10

So I qualified and never worked a day at it since ....my dream job and I hated it.

Did anyone ever get to live whatever dream job they wanted as a little girl or boy

Did you want to stay as a homemaker with kids and did you get to do it

"

Prob some famous person said it....

People ask what we do...

Noone asks are we happy...

I qualified and gave 16 years doing a job I hated,i only stuck with it because there was good money in it....

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

My first job was my perfect job and it actually taught me much more than my latter years in school. Flying off to meetings I was living the dream.

I then took redundancy due to reason. And when i moved to Ireland did a beautician course....am I in the line of work now not atm but I hope to

» Add a new message to this topic