Hubby is in bits lower back and legs

What do you find help s

At present using patches and paracetamol not much relief

Should he have hard mattress, floor or any ideas

Can't walk for more than a minute

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Chiropractor can do wonders. It worked for me.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I've found the only thing that gives relief are daily stretches for hamstrings and gentle lunges.

By *allyWally19Woman  over a year ago

The Road to Nowhere

Hey OP.

My sister suffered quite bad during pregnancy with it & she found heat helped ease it a little & offered a bit of comfort

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I've a friend who swears by CBD for this. Well it's kinda CBD.

By *mooth Operator 07Man  over a year ago

in the deep mist of the valleys

My friends who have suffered from it, have tried exercises such as riding a bike and yoga. Im aware everybody is different, hopefully it might help OP.

By *verage Joe BlackMan  over a year ago

Border Area

"Chiropractor can do wonders. It worked for me. "

This.

I used to suffer it earlier in life. When it started getting regular adjustments from the chiro, it stopped.

But... Make sure it's a good chiro.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

" Hubby is in bits lower back and legs

What do you find help s

Can't walk for more than a minute "

Oxycontin works wonders

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Physiotherapy and morning and evening stretches. Physiotherapy is much better than a chiropractor. A strong physiotherapist

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

I suffer from it occasionally, maybe for a week or two at a time, and I've never yet found anything reliable to relieve the pain. Lying on the ground sometimes grants temporary relief.

louth

I suffer with lumbago at times.. A few years ago my lower back went into spasm.. Worst pain I've ever felt.. Had to go to a and e and get a painkiller injected into my back and was high as a kite..pain was still there but head was someplace else

Touch wood it's not come back what helps is stretches to build up the core muscles.. Lots of exercises on YouTube for back pain worth a watch

He should definitely try starting off with some very gentle yoga. All the studios are closed but many local studios are still operating online. Make contact and discuss what poses. Also plenty of yoga and specific stretches online. It really works wonders and he will find the yoga becomes addictive so why not both of you join up. After 5 years it is THE best thing I have ever taken up and has become a way of life for me.

By *ildmovementMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Yoga and palates didn’t work for me and like above everyone is different. Thai massage really helped me to be able to stretch in the fist place which is the biggest issue I found. When I’d try to stretch it would be painful and very restrictive. So the Thai massage worked wonders to remove this restrictions and they were even giving me the stretches to do to assist with removing the restrictions.

I do have to say though that the Thai massage is one of the toughest things I’ve had to endure as it ain’t easy and it is painful as they work on all the pressure points in the body but so worth it afterwards.

I also tried swimming but at the time it was too far to go to a pool. I did find it beneficial however.

The yoga I am suggesting is very very basic yoga and would be all very gentle forms of stretching and twisting. The danger is getting carried away and rushing and then having to start again. Been there

Has he tried a tens unit ?

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

The pain he feels is caused by the muscles surrounding the sciatic nerve staying in spasm, compressing the nerve. So, he has done something, or continues to do something that keeps the muscles in spasm. It could be sitting too long, an awkward car seat, too much driving, or new mattress, etc. The best solution, is to edentify what's causing it, and then work on the tight muscles in the lower back and pelvis. A strong massage(in the right places) will be very effective. If he can't walk... Hot bath, hot tub, sauna will relieve the pain enough for him to take short walks, which will further improve the situation.There are two simple exercises(find online) for relieving sciatic pain. And if you can find a Sports massage therapist locally that's the next step. Best of luck, hope things improve soon.

I had physio and he gave me a serola belt to wear around the hip Region..it has two extra straps for extra support along with the main strap..can be got online..some are for pregnancy but this one wasn't..also had to have heat treatments in his magic chair ..doesnt feel hot..six sessions and a wee walk a day and it settled..still comes back occasionally and I just wear the belt for a few days for support..hope you get sorted OP..sore thing to have

By *kblueeyes OP   Couple  over a year ago

kilkenny

Thank you all for your replies, hopefully we can put some of your advice in action from tomorrow, hot bath first on the list then if he's OK a small walk

Thanks again hopefully a better night s sleep tonight

I've suffered it over the years...I used to stretch it out taking 2 steps on stairs...or using it as a platform to stretch...not always possible...also a tennis ball or tumble dryer ball when sitting...

"I've a friend who swears by CBD for this. Well it's kinda CBD. "

Can be super effective! I've used it several times for lower back pains and certainly helps, it's also reduces inflammation.

Just a couple of drops but really helps.

Press on the point of pain as hard as you can for 10minutes..elbow.thumb. . As sciatic nerve is trapped by a muscle by pressing on point of pain.. irrirates the nerve which vibrates.which in turn loosens the muscle. Do 3 or 4 times a day.

This works.

Nurse x

"Has he tried a tens unit ?"

I find the TENS machine great for this

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

Def gentle yoga twice daily. Build.up reps. Expect to do this for srveral months

Suffered with this and went to imastsu and helped alot can come back if driving to long etc dew stretches cures that

Heat packs, tens machines, etc are all good to relieve pain, but you need to get to the cause.

I think stress is the cause of the pain.

Have a few drinks and a laugh and see if you feel more loosely after, then you know.

Find what causes you stress, and find a chiropractor you can realign you.

For me, I get pain out through my knee which is my indicator that my lower back is heading for trouble, pain out through my elbow indicator of my upper back and neck heading for trouble.

I go to chiropractor and he sorts it out.

From experience, don't take nurofen and use anti inflammatory creams at the same time., will wreck your stomach.

By *ll about fun timeCouple  over a year ago

Dublin/Wmeath

"Thank you all for your replies, hopefully we can put some of your advice in action from tomorrow, hot bath first on the list then if he's OK a small walk

Thanks again hopefully a better night s sleep tonight "

I suffered for years and eventually had to be operated on but the wonder workers were tens and don't laugh a tennis ball

I got a kneeling chair and have found it works wonders, relieves a lot of tension in the hips. That plus lots of stretches etc. should help. Also sleeping on your back v on your stomach helps relieve pressure in the lower back

By *ed just RedWoman  over a year ago

Dublin City

A decent chiropractor is your only man. Preferably NZ trained.

By *oxyvixen99Woman  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Alternating hot and cold compress can help

By *aggie MaeWoman  over a year ago

Just out and about

I suffer with sciatica and take neopraxin when it's bad

Painkillers don't work

But I would say the best thing for sciatica is strengthing exercises

Especially for the back

I haven't been to the gym in 2 months and now my sciatica is playing up

So need to get back to workouts

And you can workout at home doesn't need to be the gym

To both strengthen and Stretch do yoga. My training and compressed disks messed up my back and body so much. Then I started Yoga (find a good non-magic type one) it literally reversed time.

Don't sit for more than 20min

Sit on stools.

Massage is good but with out stretching it just goes black the way it is

Best of luck guys it's aweful

By *oyoneMan  over a year ago

dublin

Stretching is important but only after warming up the area

Think of muscles like chewing gum

Bath, hot water bottle, bean bag however you want to manually heat the sore area up then once blood flow in the area gently stretch it

If heat eases the pain keep doing it but expect the site of pain to move, follow it with heat on that site

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

"Press on the point of pain as hard as you can for 10minutes..elbow.thumb. . As sciatic nerve is trapped by a muscle by pressing on point of pain.. irrirates the nerve which vibrates.which in turn loosens the muscle. Do 3 or 4 times a day.

This works.

Nurse x"

I'll never go to you for a massage!! ??

By *oseredWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

If the pain is in his legs is a tingling pain then it's neurological and could be a disc issue so needs to be referred for an MRI. If it is a sharp pain on movement then try Physio. Physio are better for muscular. Deep freeze or biofreeze are also good for immediate pain relief. I'm currently getting nerve blockers for pinched nerve after physio and pain meds couldn't get rid of the pain. So good luck OP. Hope he feels better soon.

By *erlincorkMan  over a year ago

Cork/London

What do you find help s

Check your PM OP

kilkenny

Thank you for your replies Mr walked a few times today with back brace still in agony but babysteps hopefully will be back to normal soon

I am still suffering with it since the beginning of this lockdown. It's so sore i must get dry needling because tried everything else. I am after resting it way to much now OPi totally feel you're pain i fell to the ground and couldn't get back up. Mine is from a car accident. It's very slow to heal.

What do you find help s

Oxycontin works wonders "

What is this??

By *ysteryman2009Man  over a year ago

Ireland

What do you find help s

I had similar problem years ago and didnt know what caused it. I went to physio and within 10 mins he had me sorted. He told me I had a dislocation in my hip which was causing it and I have never had a problem since. I hope this may be of help

Suffered from sciatica myself physio is a must don't waste time with a doctor. Depending then on what the physio recommends be it treatment or mri scan take it from there.

By *atsshootsandleaves17Man  over a year ago

Town

Pm sent hope it's helpful

louth

What do you find help s

Oxycontin works wonders

What is this?? "

Opiods

There's so much nonsense on this thread it's hard to know where to start.

Ignore chiropractors, sports massage therapists and all other quacks. They take your money and they sometimes do more harm than good. These people shout the loudest and make most claims but they are frauds in a situation like this and the medical profession don't recognise them for that reason.

You need a good physio who knows what they are talking about to help with muscle spasm and light exercise and mobility initially. Then for maintenance you need to strengthen your core religiously and keen doing it. Pilates is an excellent way of doing this, but there are vastly varying qualifications and understanding amongst Pilates instructors. Virtually anyone can do a quick course so avoid these!!

Physio lead Pilates is best. Anyone who says Pilates doesn't work isn't doing it right or wasn't shown how to do it right.

Used to be a long time sufferer where I had chronic sciatice radiating down to my toes in both legs, glutes were the worst.

Lots of walking helps as it strengthens the core. I used to get an injection directly into the spine once a quarter (maximum allowed by my GP) which really takes the edge off.

Other than than paracetamol when needed otherwise.

Does he have any other underlying conditions? (Eg- Ankylosing spondylitis)

I tried physio but it did not benefit me.

I would also recommend yoga or pilates as well.

Neurofen is much better for the pain relief as it also helps with inflammation an gives a good bit of relief until a more permanent solution like physio or chiro.

The only way to treat and fix this is to go and see an ABC Chiro Practicioner. The ABC method is genius because it centres around your spinal column and posture. It is based on the fact that from birth our bodies are in a continual state of compensation. ABC also serves to reconnect the nervous system so that your body messaging system works optimally. I have first had experience of using ABC to fix a debilitating upper back issue as well as "testing" the ABC method when I tore my hamstring and they fixed it within 2 weeks justbl through adjustments. It sounds too good to be true but honestly it is a life saving treatment!!!

"The only way to treat and fix this is to go and see an ABC Chiro Practicioner. The ABC method is genius because it centres around your spinal column and posture. It is based on the fact that from birth our bodies are in a continual state of compensation. ABC also serves to reconnect the nervous system so that your body messaging system works optimally. I have first had experience of using ABC to fix a debilitating upper back issue as well as "testing" the ABC method when I tore my hamstring and they fixed it within 2 weeks justbl through adjustments. It sounds too good to be true but honestly it is a life saving treatment!!!"

Yes it sounds too good to be true because it is. Just looked there it looks like a massive scam. "reconnect the nervous system so that your body messaging system works optimally". What does optimally mean here? How is this magic done?

If it's something to be done tht does not require surgery a good physio can explain everything to do in one session. Yoga can be done for free in youtube, but a few classes would go a long way.

"The only way to treat and fix this is to go and see an ABC Chiro Practicioner. The ABC method is genius because it centres around your spinal column and posture. It is based on the fact that from birth our bodies are in a continual state of compensation. ABC also serves to reconnect the nervous system so that your body messaging system works optimally. I have first had experience of using ABC to fix a debilitating upper back issue as well as "testing" the ABC method when I tore my hamstring and they fixed it within 2 weeks justbl through adjustments. It sounds too good to be true but honestly it is a life saving treatment!!!

Yes it sounds too good to be true because it is. Just looked there it looks like a massive scam. "reconnect the nervous system so that your body messaging system works optimally". What does optimally mean here? How is this magic done?

If it's something to be done tht does not require surgery a good physio can explain everything to do in one session. Yoga can be done for free in youtube, but a few classes would go a long way."

Not a massive scam at all. As an ex rugby player I have been through every known form of rehabilitation and treatment as well as having done Pilates for over 15yrs. The simple fact is that things like physio don't treat the cause. The reason Pilates and Yoga work so well is that they actually ultimately improve your posture over time. The nervous system connection sounds crazy I agree but it is real. I am not here to convince you or anyone else but to dismissive of a treatment by claiming it is a scam is uncalled for. Perhaps go for an ABC free assessment and adjustment and then make your judgement on it.

Swimming builds up the back muscles. Also only sit for about 20mins then get up and walk around. Bending and stretching and some pilates or yoga. I swim four times a week for my back.

By *atonMan  over a year ago

barnet

Backswing inversion table

By *igglesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Tents machine.. get it in boots for about 80 euro ( worth every penny) it's great for pain relief .

By *igglesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

https://www.boots.ie/electrical/electrical-health-diagnostics/tens-machines

kilkenny

"https://www.boots.ie/electrical/electrical-health-diagnostics/tens-machines"

Thank you will look into this

» Add a new message to this topic