FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > VAR

VAR

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What would you change if anything ?

If something needs to be clear and obvious is 1cm etc a fair expectation of a ref to get right ?

Most corners there are fouls but very little pens given.

I think the dialogue between the refs and those in VAR room should be available for transparency. I think like managers are obligated to interview after a game refs should also be interviewed for their assessments on controversial decisions.

Is slow-mo a helpful metric to decide the perception of what happens in real time as that what a ref judges an incident on. Perception shifts wildly between real time and slow-mo.

Is it just me or sometimes do the angles for the offsides appear to not be at 90 degrees ? That can't be a reliable assessment under those conditions.

Just my views. Would like to hear others suggestions.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *appytoadsCouple  over a year ago

West Dublin

Why now?

Yesterday?

Liverpool on wrong end of some decisions?

Klopp being a dick?

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Var is ruining the game in my opinion.

I don't understand how they got it so wrong

In rugby the technology works

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

"Var is ruining the game in my opinion.

I don't understand how they got it so wrong

In rugby the technology works "

In rugby you don't have prima Donna's

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

VAR stands for Video Assistant Referee

Its a video system, how the fuck can a video ruin a sport?

Its the people using the technology that are ruining it. They are simply shit, we've always known that but VAR highlights it. If I could change anything, its the pishpoor standard of referees.

How do other leagues around the world use VAR to success....better officials. Its pretty simple.

somewhere

It doesn't work everywhere

Every big European league has a problem with it.

If all the officials are crap at their job well that proves they're human

I hate seeing lines being dropped on a tv screen to show that someone's shoulder is offside

Last week I think a leeds player had a goal ruled offside because he pointed out with his hand where he wanted the ball to be played to him,he scored and his hand was offside.....its shite.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I don't think it's VAR that's the problem. It's the rules themselves. That disallowed Bamford goal was a joke. The referee on the pitch should be using VAR as a tool if he has missed something and needs to double-check whether that be a goal or foul such as the Arsenal headbutt last week.

A player should only be ruled offside based on where his feet are and nothing else.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

Best thing that ever happened in football at least nobody will be robbed again.. Remember Ireland over 10 years ago thierry henry handling the ball in the 6 yard box robbing Ireland a place in a major tournament.. Incidents like that will never happen again in important games

somewhere

"Best thing that ever happened in football at least nobody will be robbed again.. Remember Ireland over 10 years ago thierry henry handling the ball in the 6 yard box robbing Ireland a place in a major tournament.. Incidents like that will never happen again in important games "

Amazing how everyone laughs when Maradona does it but cries about it for yrs when it happens to an Irish team

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"Best thing that ever happened in football at least nobody will be robbed again.. Remember Ireland over 10 years ago thierry henry handling the ball in the 6 yard box robbing Ireland a place in a major tournament.. Incidents like that will never happen again in important games

Amazing how everyone laughs when Maradona does it but cries about it for yrs when it happens to an Irish team "

I don't care what happened to the Irish team it was a rubbish team anyway.. Ball let bounce in 6 yard box desperate defense they deserved it.. Just used it as an example that's what var is for to remedy situations like this.. Has been plenty more decisions down throughout the years that could have used var..

By *scouple07Couple  over a year ago

louth, Ireland

Her rid, I (mr) said before it was implemented that VAR was going to ruin the beautiful game

By *scouple07Couple  over a year ago

louth, Ireland

At the end of the day, unless you have the same official looking at every VAR decision you will still have controversy as every officials reading of the game is different. 1 officials opinion on a foul would be different to another, thus the decisions being inconsistent

The bottom line here is the offside rule states a player is in an offside position if there is only one opponent between him and the opponents the end line when the ball is played (ie a players FULL BODY )...now VAR pulls a player offside for his toe..his heel..his nose..his arm..his knee..his foot..any part of his body that is past the 2nd opponent..and even 5 plays before a goal is scored...l honestly thought VAR would help the game but its being totally fucked up by those using it...the FA should come out and say and clarify that it HAS to be a players full body in an off side position before he's deemed offside...and fuck this crap of a body part being in an offside position..FFS ..next thing it'll be ..he was in an offside position cause his dick was in an offside postion

Some good points raised on the thread and something I saw mentioned a few weeks ago was in very tight offside decisions there can be a difference of onside/offside dependent on frame chosen in the replay when exactly a ball leaves the foot can be hard to make out sometimes even with var tech.

It's a sad situation when playrrs and coaches don't actually know what a pen goes for even the retired refs that the broadcasters go to seem to struggle with interpreting the rules .

I'm all for the refs using the pitchside monitors but the data at least in the PL seems to lean heavily towards refs changing their decisions based on it.

If VAR is for clear and obvious error they shouldn't need numerous replays at different speeds and different angles .

The handball rule is a joke at the moment and it makes me wonder what discussion is had with those wbo actually play the game when it comes to chaning such rules.

In theory yes VAR is a system which is being used by inept officials but it is not anywhere near black and white as goal line tech is .

What is the margin of error for offsides does anyone know with the var system and what influence does that have on incredibly tight offsides ?

If something is within tne margin of error would it be better off giving all those goals or disallowing them all ?

The constant nail biting when goals are scored takes away a lot of the passion and replaces it with relief when goals are allowed. Despair of course when they are disallowed.

Does every decision have to be picked through with a fine tooth comb ? Why not corners or throws if it's gping to be pedantic .

Maybe it's just the english refs are a disaster wit it. I can't say I watch tbe bundesliga or la liga anymore bar a rare big game.

Any enthusiasts of those leagues reporting similar issues as happening in the PL ?

I would love to hear the refs conversations between refs being heard, like rugby,

"I would love to hear the refs conversations between refs being heard, like rugby, "

Same here. Think it makes it much more transparent

By *aucyladMan  over a year ago

Dublin

It delays the game too much, its taken the instant excitement out of a goal, ooh check VAR, its ridiculous.Everything is slowed and its almost like they want to find something each time.The game is a contact sport, there will always be marginal calls.If we check every one of them constantly its ridiculous.

My suggestion is that each team would have 2 checks permitted per game, so the team can check on vital calls they feel are worth checking.Once the calls are used up then they gotta trust the ref and lines person.It would still allow VAR but it wouldn't be for constantly checking.They do it in tennis and it works well enough.

"It delays the game too much, its taken the instant excitement out of a goal, ooh check VAR, its ridiculous.Everything is slowed and its almost like they want to find something each time.The game is a contact sport, there will always be marginal calls.If we check every one of them constantly its ridiculous.

My suggestion is that each team would have 2 checks permitted per game, so the team can check on vital calls they feel are worth checking.Once the calls are used up then they gotta trust the ref and lines person.It would still allow VAR but it wouldn't be for constantly checking.They do it in tennis and it works well enough."

That's a very good suggestion to be fair.

Could a time limit also be implemented on VAR ?

If a decision can't be made after x amount of time that it should be clear and obvious that it's not a case the decision is clear and obviously wrong and the original decision should stand for the sake of the flow of the game. The more delays happen the closer it turns towards American football territory with the ball being out of play more time than it's in .

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

As was said earlier, it's the rules that are the problem, not VAR.

As it stands now it's ruining the joy of watching a game.

We never knew how good we had it before VAR

"Some good points raised on the thread and something I saw mentioned a few weeks ago was in very tight offside decisions there can be a difference of onside/offside dependent on frame chosen in the replay when exactly a ball leaves the foot can be hard to make out sometimes even with var tech.

"

Thats exactly why VAR should not be used for offsides, the technology is not designed to look at offsides.

Every ground would literally have to have camera's covering every millimeter along each side of the pitch so that the 'offside incident' can be seen from both sides with a parelle view across the pitch. The officials are basically guessing where the lines go across the pitch because the camera angles they have available.

I'm a big sports fan and a big avocate of sport being 'sporting' ie no cheating or unfair advantages. VAR for me in therory is brilliant but the technology far outweighs the abilities of the people using it.

Possible solutions? If an incident is 'clear and obvious' then the VAR official can stop play for a review. For any tight calls(be it offside, penalty,etc) each team has 1 VAR review per game. Either the captain or manager can call for this review at anytime. IF they were right to call then they can call for another review but if they were wrong they can't call for any more reviews in that game.

I think tennis has something similar that players can call for a double check if they believe a call was incorrect and if original decision was right the player can't ask for another review.

There's nothing wrong with VARxwg n implemented correctly. The problem the Premier League is currently facing is the arrogance of the officials and their use of it.

Also that handball rule gotta stop there's been some crazy decisions lately.

P.S. Let's all hope Raul Jimenez can one day return to football

"Some good points raised on the thread and something I saw mentioned a few weeks ago was in very tight offside decisions there can be a difference of onside/offside dependent on frame chosen in the replay when exactly a ball leaves the foot can be hard to make out sometimes even with var tech.

Thats exactly why VAR should not be used for offsides, the technology is not designed to look at offsides.

Every ground would literally have to have camera's covering every millimeter along each side of the pitch so that the 'offside incident' can be seen from both sides with a parelle view across the pitch. The officials are basically guessing where the lines go across the pitch because the camera angles they have available.

I'm a big sports fan and a big avocate of sport being 'sporting' ie no cheating or unfair advantages. VAR for me in therory is brilliant but the technology far outweighs the abilities of the people using it.

Possible solutions? If an incident is 'clear and obvious' then the VAR official can stop play for a review. For any tight calls(be it offside, penalty,etc) each team has 1 VAR review per game. Either the captain or manager can call for this review at anytime. IF they were right to call then they can call for another review but if they were wrong they can't call for any more reviews in that game.

I think tennis has something similar that players can call for a double check if they believe a call was incorrect and if original decision was right the player can't ask for another review."

Well said, there's no such dramas in the Bundesliga

» Add a new message to this topic