FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Revenue

Revenue

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *osmicGate OP   Man  over a year ago

louth

Anybody else receive a letter from revenue looking for money?

Apparently over 400k people who were on the pup and wage subsidy scheme last year are liable for tax bill of up to 1000 euro

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

"Anybody else receive a letter from revenue looking for money?

Apparently over 400k people who were on the pup and wage subsidy scheme last year are liable for tax bill of up to 1000 euro "

ye, speaking to a few, they did. everybody knew though that it wouldn't be tax free.

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

They won't be looking for it in a lump sum. They are talking about taking it over 4 years through changes to your tax credits.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Don’t think it’s capped at 1000 either. Anything you earn or receive in life is liable to tax unless specified otherwise.

That is the default that people should know to assume. This goes for unemployment benefit and any kind of social welfare received too. Grants etc. Everything.

As the old saying goes - there’s only two things in this life you must do. Pay taxes and die

No didn’t miss much work (alas). Heard it was happening months ago mind. It’s only paying some tax back in lumber rather than whole payment, which is sound.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Getting the opposite up here. There's an email scam doing the rounds with the HMRC informing people they are due refunds, none of which are genuine.

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

I was lucky enough to remain in work but for those were temp unemployed why should they have to pay back tax on this. If they had to sign on the the proper dole they wouldn't be asked to pay extra tax when they get back working

By *lay2018Couple  over a year ago

westmeath & roscommon.

Is this for self employed and paye workers..

"I was lucky enough to remain in work but for those were temp unemployed why should they have to pay back tax on this. If they had to sign on the the proper dole they wouldn't be asked to pay extra tax when they get back working"

They are being paid money. Any money you earn you pay tax. If they were working they’d be paying tax and this money is in lieu of that. Ergo they have to pay tax on it. If you’re on the dongle you’re also liable to tax

Whatever about the PUP but the TWSS is a bit harsh. Our company went on it in the first lockdown when they didnt need to. Just taking total advantage. We were busier than ever. But they still went on it. My wage all the way through it was the same. As in my net pay after taxes even on the TWSS was the same as before it came in. If the company had never went on it I would have still been coming out with the same but my taxes would have been paid. So it feels like getting taxed on you wage after it was already taxed. I know it technically wasnt but doenst make it any sweeter.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

I'd say the best thing to do is to speak to whoever does the wages for the company you work for,or your accountant,

By *osmicGate OP   Man  over a year ago

louth

"Is this for self employed and paye workers.."

Anybody who availed of pup or wage subsidy scheme

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"Is this for self employed and paye workers..

Anybody who availed of pup or wage subsidy scheme"

While everyone who has received pup will have to face tax liability, this letter went only to paye workers.

The self employed have to do their own tax return by the end of the year.

By *wisted DuoCouple  over a year ago

city

Funny how the revenue forgot to send out all the letters to all the people they owe money to.

The vast majority PAYE worker are over taxed every year. For most people it worthwhile doing a tax return at the end of the tax year. But most don't

By *cean1963Man  over a year ago

n6

People beware of this as the government see it as a way of introducing a covid tak to pay for this like they did wit the U S C. The corruption at government level is unreal

By *ork fellaMan  over a year ago

Macroom

I also thought that as pup was paid as an emergency payment from March that those payments are exempt from tax, that was until the government changed the status of that payment in August which meant it was taxable from August. Can anyone clarify if its now being taxed from last March or from last August?

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Its been taxable from the start and most people knew that

If you didnt your wages dept should have informed you

Macroom

"Its been taxable from the start and most people knew that

If you didnt your wages dept should have informed you "

Emergency payments are exempt from tax though? Pup was paid originally as an emergency payment?

somewhere

Emergency payments are exempt from tax though? Pup was paid originally as an emergency payment? "

Yes but it was set up quickly just to get money into people's hands as the shutters came down

They said it back in march it would be paid gross and the tax would be due later

Every ad had this info

Macroom

Emergency payments are exempt from tax though? Pup was paid originally as an emergency payment?

Yes but it was set up quickly just to get money into people's hands as the shutters came down

They said it back in march it would be paid gross and the tax would be due later

Every ad had this info "

Ah right ?? good to clear that up

Macroom

If you didnt your wages dept should have informed you "

Your wrong in this point as it turns out. FLAC saying today that taxing it from March could be unconstitutional.

tipperary

Your wrong in this point as it turns out. FLAC saying today that taxing it from March could be unconstitutional. "

Have a chat with your wages dept...or email the tax office

Macroom

Your wrong in this point as it turns out. FLAC saying today that taxing it from March could be unconstitutional.

Have a chat with your wages dept...or email the tax office"

Well if Free Legal advice centre are saying its not taxable il be very interested to see the outcome

tipperary

Well if Free Legal advice centre are saying its not taxable il be very interested to see the outcome "

I signed up to it at the end of march for maybe a month,when I went back to work they adjust my tax to suit,so yes it's being backdated...same thing happened to two other guys that were there,they said it could be....could be,

Macroom

Well if Free Legal advice centre are saying its not taxable il be very interested to see the outcome

I signed up to it at the end of march for maybe a month,when I went back to work they adjust my tax to suit,so yes it's being backdated...same thing happened to two other guys that were there,they said it could be....could be,"

That's what I'm saying. It will be interesting to see.

I just cannot understand the mentality that some people have, that somehow income tax should not apply to them. If you earn above the taxable threshold, regardless of where the income came from, you are obliged to pay tax. I am not always a fan of Revenue but in this case, they are delaying payment by over a year and then spreading it out over a further four years. That seems a very accommodating attiude to me.

Macroom

"I just cannot understand the mentality that some people have, that somehow income tax should not apply to them. If you earn above the taxable threshold, regardless of where the income came from, you are obliged to pay tax. I am not always a fan of Revenue but in this case, they are delaying payment by over a year and then spreading it out over a further four years. That seems a very accommodating attiude to me. "

No one said anything about not paying income tax.I pay too much of the fucking thing already, infact a weeks wages out of every month goes on some form of fucking tax. That is fact.I questioned why if as was law that emergency payments were not taxable as has been the case for many years,how come now all of a sudden their deciding pup is taxable and are retrospectivly taxing it? Have a look at FLAC online today. Good info on it

"I just cannot understand the mentality that some people have, that somehow income tax should not apply to them. If you earn above the taxable threshold, regardless of where the income came from, you are obliged to pay tax. I am not always a fan of Revenue but in this case, they are delaying payment by over a year and then spreading it out over a further four years. That seems a very accommodating attiude to me. "

I agree

It's the whole something for nothing attitude. Yeah it's a pain but that's the deal.

somewhere

[Removed by poster at 17/01/21 19:21:34]

somewhere

FLAC is a charity and not an offical government dept

You might as well ask any other charity for their non expert opinion

Macroom

"I just cannot understand the mentality that some people have, that somehow income tax should not apply to them. If you earn above the taxable threshold, regardless of where the income came from, you are obliged to pay tax. I am not always a fan of Revenue but in this case, they are delaying payment by over a year and then spreading it out over a further four years. That seems a very accommodating attiude to me.

It's the whole something for nothing attitude. Yeah it's a pain but that's the deal. "

Well I more than paid for my pup payments as iv been working for over 20 years at this stage paying tax and for sweet fuck all as far as I can see.

Macroom

"FLAC is a charity and not an offical government dept

You might as well ask any other charity for their non expert opinion "

Do you believe the Government always? As for experts, jesus wept if you think the government departments fall into that catagory

somewhere

"FLAC is a charity and not an offical government dept

You might as well ask any other charity for their non expert opinion

Do you believe the Government always? As for experts, jesus wept if you think the government departments fall into that catagory "

No but I definitely believe the revenue dept and they told everyone from the start pup was taxable

"I just cannot understand the mentality that some people have, that somehow income tax should not apply to them. If you earn above the taxable threshold, regardless of where the income came from, you are obliged to pay tax. I am not always a fan of Revenue but in this case, they are delaying payment by over a year and then spreading it out over a further four years. That seems a very accommodating attiude to me.

It's the whole something for nothing attitude. Yeah it's a pain but that's the deal.

Well I more than paid for my pup payments as iv been working for over 20 years at this stage paying tax and for sweet fuck all as far as I can see. "

No one is saying you don’t deserve the pup payment. We’re just saying like any payment, it’s liable to tax. It’s money received/earned and thus you pay tax on the taxable portion

» Add a new message to this topic