FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Cycling, motorists and road rage.....

Cycling, motorists and road rage.....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi fabbers so everyone knows this is an on going issue so i just want to as a question. If you are a cycle when a motorist beeps at you for no apparent reason, you are lite up clothes wise, lights on the bike etc, have you ever?

A. Stuck your middle finger up.

B. Wave just to annoy pretend you think they know you.

C. Gave a roar with some other kind of hand gestures.

D. Cursed them as you flinched with the fright nearly falling to the ground.

Keep it real lol.

I must admit to guilty of all three depending on the danger element and my mood in the moment.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ol_ieMan  over a year ago

Dublin west

B every time...

It drives them mad...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’m probably the one beeping

Jokes, I always give cyclists a wide berth. It annoys me when they don’t use cycle lanes though

By *ctoboyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

When anyone shows road rage towards me whether I'm Cycling or even if it's when I'm Driving I always blow them kisses. It drives them nuts & they hate it

B with most drivers but it can graduate to C fairly lively

"I’m probably the one beeping

Jokes, I always give cyclists a wide berth. It annoys me when they don’t use cycle lanes though "

Must paths are just not up to standard and are more hazardous with very poor surfaces ending in the middle of no where. Also people walking/running on them as well as cars parked on them.

Jokes, I always give cyclists a wide berth. It annoys me when they don’t use cycle lanes though "

Must paths are just not up to standard and are more hazardous with very poor surfaces ending in the middle of no where. Also people walking/running on them as well as cars parked on them.

I meant to put i am guilty of all 4 but realise there is no point so it's mostly B now but blowing kisses if a new easier softer way, must try that. I would much rather kisses but what motorists don't really realise is we are to busy watching the road in front to be seeing gestures but i guess they see cyclists easier. Kisses it is so new years resolution.

Jokes, I always give cyclists a wide berth. It annoys me when they don’t use cycle lanes though

Must paths are just not up to standard and are more hazardous with very poor surfaces ending in the middle of no where. Also people walking/running on them as well as cars parked on them. "

I know but I know stretches of road near me where cyclists stay on the road even though there’s a good mile or two of cycle lane. The reality is cycling isn’t encouraged nowhere near as much as it should be and the infrastructure is poor. We need to follow the example of the Netherlands!

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

7 continuous miles of cycle path near where I live. Completely resurfaced last year during lockdown with a separate pavement for walkers and runners and cyclists still insist on using the dual carriageway and wonder why cars travelling at 70mph are tooting at them.

"7 continuous miles of cycle path near where I live. Completely resurfaced last year during lockdown with a separate pavement for walkers and runners and cyclists still insist on using the dual carriageway and wonder why cars travelling at 70mph are tooting at them. "

Now that's annoying i do if it's a good distance and surface. Also if they had a safer system foir parking bikes up in the city. I think more people would cycle to work.

That’s what I do, had some pumped up roid head follow me and try ram me off the road because I done it after he flashed me out of his way. He eventually gave up after about 20km

I know but I know stretches of road near me where cyclists stay on the road even though there’s a good mile or two of cycle lane. The reality is cycling isn’t encouraged nowhere near as much as it should be and the infrastructure is poor. We need to follow the example of the Netherlands! "

Not encouraged enough is right. I can only presume the problem is debris.

All the debris from a road surface is pushed out to the margins. In other words the debris from the road is all over the cycle lane. Cycle routes at the sides of main roads require frequent maintenance (road sweep) there is a route in my locality roughly 10k and ill be on the road for the majority of it

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

Hate cyclyst they are a health hassard

"Hate cyclyst they are a health hassard "

So are motorists.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Any road rage...blow kisses and wave at them...

"Hate cyclyst they are a health hassard

So are motorists. "

More so with their 1.5+ ton weight metal box!

I usually stick to footpaths because motorists don't give a f***! How many car accidents are their every day? How can they not seen another 10x5 foot metal box in front of them that they crash into it....what chance does a cyclist have?

Answer to OP - I usually give the most manic eye wide laugh right at them. It usually freaks them out.

So are motorists.

I usually stick to footpaths because motorists don't give a f***! How many car accidents are their every day? How can they not seen another 10x5 foot metal box in front of them that they crash into it....what chance does a cyclist have?

Answer to OP - I usually give the most manic eye wide laugh right at them. It usually freaks them out."

Ah there i should have put E. Laugh at them, have i done yes i have.

"7 continuous miles of cycle path near where I live. Completely resurfaced last year during lockdown with a separate pavement for walkers and runners and cyclists still insist on using the dual carriageway and wonder why cars travelling at 70mph are tooting at them.

Now that's annoying i do if it's a good distance and surface. Also if they had a safer system foir parking bikes up in the city. I think more people would cycle to work. "

Maybe they aren’t going that way? 7miles isn’t much of a stretch on a 100km cycle like. They are people on bikes, slow down and go round for the sake of ten seconds vs antagonising and potentially killing them.

Belfast

"7 continuous miles of cycle path near where I live. Completely resurfaced last year during lockdown with a separate pavement for walkers and runners and cyclists still insist on using the dual carriageway and wonder why cars travelling at 70mph are tooting at them.

Now that's annoying i do if it's a good distance and surface. Also if they had a safer system foir parking bikes up in the city. I think more people would cycle to work.

Maybe they aren’t going that way? 7miles isn’t much of a stretch on a 100km cycle like. They are people on bikes, slow down and go round for the sake of ten seconds vs antagonising and potentially killing them. "

Maybe they aren't going what way? The brand spanking new cycle lane is literally 6 feet from the carriageway and runs parallel the whole way but they insist on using the carriageway. It's been that way for years and is regularly maintained and swept of debris.

WOW WOW WOW a whole 7 miles just for cyclists? We really should count ourselves so lucky, 1000s and 1000s of miles for cars and 7 for cyclists!

There is a great account on twitter(maybe other socials too) called NI Greenways. Follow that and you'll regularly see photos of motorists parking, swerving into in cycling lanes and why they are also very dangerous to cyclists.

I'm confused, how can you say "It's been that way for years and is regularly maintained and swept of debris." if its a brand new cycle lane?

Belfast

"WOW WOW WOW a whole 7 miles just for cyclists? We really should count ourselves so lucky, 1000s and 1000s of miles for cars and 7 for cyclists!

There is a great account on twitter(maybe other socials too) called NI Greenways. Follow that and you'll regularly see photos of motorists parking, swerving into in cycling lanes and why they are also very dangerous to cyclists.

I'm confused, how can you say "It's been that way for years and is regularly maintained and swept of debris." if its a brand new cycle lane? "

Maybe try reading my previous comment before going over your handlebars. I've no interest in the distance. My point is that cyclists asked for it, campaigned for it and never use it.

By *oxminxCouple  over a year ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

Always B

Never play with cars they can hurt BAD

I always squirt my windscreen wash as I pass cyclists

So are motorists.

Answer to OP - I usually give the most manic eye wide laugh right at them. It usually freaks them out."

Or just makes you look like a loon!

I've no issues with cyclists on the road at all and go out occasionally at the weekend on my bike. But the reality is there are some absolute arsehole cyclists who are a danger on the roads. If youre some middle aged clown who joins the craze of cycling to work and thinks hes entitled to own the road on his bicycle on a standard road at rush hour where no one can overtake due to oncoming traffic and you can't maintain an adequate speed so that there is a queue of traffic behind you then you shouldnt be on the road.

The police can pull someone over and penalise them for driving too slowly and hence being a danger to other motorists so cyclists who own the road and are too slow should be treated similarly. Theres a complete lack of insight out there amongst many cyclists.

I’m usually B, however if I feel a car is edging behind me for no reason I usually stand up and wiggle my ass in my Lycra shorts.... nothing like a distraction to ease the tension

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

I've always believed that cyclist's should pay insurance

"I've always believed that cyclist's should pay insurance"

Tax? Well they do pay taxes. Everyone who works or buys things does. Bikes don’t deteriorate roads like vehicles do. So there is your car tax.

As for insurance:

Bikes don’t crash very often and when they do it doesn’t tend to lead to loss of life.

Every human who died on a bike last year was killed by a car.

I drive too, but I also cycle. It’s unreal the lack of compassion shown by people when they are behind the wheel of a two ton killing machine.

"Always B

Never play with cars they can hurt BAD"

Yes i do think B is best or should have put another simple option just ignore. Sometimes one wouldn't know whether they are even beeping at them or another car or just a slip of the old hand while having a wank lol.

"I've always believed that cyclist's should pay insurance

Tax? Well they do pay taxes. Everyone who works or buys things does. Bikes don’t deteriorate roads like vehicles do. So there is your car tax.

As for insurance:

Bikes don’t crash very often and when they do it doesn’t tend to lead to loss of life.

I drive too, but I also cycle. It’s unreal the lack of compassion shown by people when they are behind the wheel of a two ton killing machine.

"

yes most drivers who cycle/drive would have compassion and care for cyclists. People who don't are the people who have problems with themselves and everyone else on the road in my view , road rage is more than likely taking their own personal issues out on others on the road. I think bikes should have indicators/lights built in it's a safer option than having to hold out arms and be seen while moving.

As for insurance:

"

What about cyclists who run lights and are a danger to pedestrians and cyclists who weave through traffic and once I seen one ride straight into a back of a stopped van. Damaged the van. Who pays for that. Was hilarious though.

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

As for insurance:

"

this

We talk about how progressive a nation we are, yet when it comes to other Northern Europe nations we are years behind.

As for tax or insurance, suppose bring that in. How does it work for school kids? Should they pay?

That is incorrect

As for insurance:

"

That's not true that every cyclist who died did so as they were hit by a vechile. It's also not right to assume that every cyclist who was hit by a vechile was not to blame for the accident.

I cycle myself and have no issue with accomplished and safe cyclists on the roads but there are plenty of cyclists out there who are neither.

"Always B

Never play with cars they can hurt BAD

Yes i do think B is best or should have put another simple option just ignore. Sometimes one wouldn't know whether they are even beeping at them or another car or just a slip of the old hand while having a wank lol. "

hahahhaha

Most likely not needed, but if it is, this thread should come as a stark reminder to cyclists, especially road users, of the contempt some motorists hold for you and how unsafe you are with these people around.

Even trying to hide and deflect from their true feelings the anger and rage seeping through is quite disturbing. If these people can't contain their hatred on a forum, where most of us are having a civilised discussion, just imagine what they are like when they get behind the wheel of their weapon and have an output for their rage.

Be safe people.

Belfast

I own a bike. I go cycling. Am I a cyclist? No I'm not because I've only just got back into it during lockdown and am not competent enough to cycle through traffic. My cycling fitness is not at a level where I can cycle for long distances and my max is 10-15 miles.

Therefore I only cycle on greenways or designated cycle paths so as not to endanger myself or others.

There are thousands of much more confident and competent cyclists on our roads and I salute their dedication and fitness levels.

There is a level of arrogance among some cyclists though that feel they are above criticism and yes many more vehicle drivers with the same arrogant attitude.

My point in this thread is that in the area I'm talking about local cycling clubs campaigned for years for a cycle path along the route because of the dangers.

The path was funded by the local council and therefore by my council rates. It was installed about 15 years ago but wasn't maintained for the first 5 or 6 years. Following further approaches by the cycling clubs it was agreed to upgrade it with a guarantee that club members would all use it and promote its use by non members.

It was resurfaced in the early part of last year and every Sunday morning I pass groups of cyclists in club colours using the carriageway instead.

So why were my taxes used to fund something that the people who specifically asked for it couldn't be bothered using it or promoting it?

That's where my anger comes from and has nothing to do with individual cyclists.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

I don't know why they bother spending money on cycle lanes or any other cycling facilities. It's not like they will recoup the investment into them. Unlike with public transport there is a charge to use them and with roads the recoup money via motor tax and tolls. Cycle lanes are just dead money and a way to for government to go oh look we are trying to be green it's just a con.

There should be a minimum requirement to know the rules of the road and mandatory safety equipment to cycle on public roads. It's unfair that to drive a motorbike you need to pass a test wear a helmet etc but anybody can just buy a bike and cycle on public roads even if they never got on a bike before. It's madness

"It's madness "

Your entire comment? I agree.

If you refuse to acknowledge the differences between a MOTORbike and a bike then there is no hope for you.

[Removed by poster at 27/01/21 21:30:35]

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Ive never beeped at a cyclist.I used to cycle 30 km a day to work (very long time ago) and know how hard it is and that was before all the traffic and new cycle lanes

Having said that where I live now is only 5 minutes from the Dublin mountains with very narrow roads

Every feckin Sunday morning literally 100's of middle age men dressed like they're in the feckin Tour De France taking over all the roads for a few hours

By *ol_ieMan  over a year ago

Dublin west

I drive and cycle.

I do both a lot. I pay cycle Ireland membership and am insured.

I'm a club cyclist and have done ride leaders courses and have been trained to recognize the dangers of cycling in rural and city cycling.

And yeah i can see people argument from both sides as there are good cyclists and not so good ones in the same way that there are good and not so good drivers.

If people just slow down a little and be considerate to each other and think about the other persons point of view then the world might be a better place.

Would i like to see cycle skills taught to our kids in school. Yes i would. Would i like to see more kids and adults using bikes and not cars yes i would.

Would it be better if cyclists had a form of insurance probably but a bike will do a lot less damage to a car than a car can do to a bike and some of my bikes cost the price of a small car.There are not many car drivers killed by cyclists but sadly too many people die on our roads because of driver error, be they in other cars, bikes or pedestrians.

And no you don't need a licence and some think this is mad. But then again you need a licence to keep a dog but you don't need one to have a child. I personally have a cycle leisure licence and most club cyclists would have similar and have learnt the skills to ride safer on the roads.

We have to stop the them v us and remember we all have the right to share the road but we need to consider everyone using the roads.

» Add a new message to this topic