FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Irish History....

Irish History....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Any fabbers like Irish History well if you do pop in here and write a paragraph at a time about an interesting individual or individuals of past times. Just one paragraph at a time will do.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The sacking or burning of Cork happened in December 1920. Started with the shooting of 2 IRA volunteers on the northside of the city which in turn lead to the ambushing of British forces in Dillons which in turn lead to the burning of our beautiful city.

"The sacking or burning of Cork happened in December 1920. Started with the shooting of 2 IRA volunteers on the northside of the city which in turn lead to the ambushing of British forces in Dillons which in turn lead to the burning of our beautiful city. "

Never knew this until I saw a piece RTE did on it, shocking what they did to the City

"The sacking or burning of Cork happened in December 1920. Started with the shooting of 2 IRA volunteers on the northside of the city which in turn lead to the ambushing of British forces in Dillons which in turn lead to the burning of our beautiful city.

Never knew this until I saw a piece RTE did on it, shocking what they did to the City"

Yeah.. Still resonates with people today. Our city Hall is the first building built by the British in Ireland after independence.

100yrs ago this month Limerick city was under a strict nightly curfew enforced by the RIC, Black and Tans and British forces. On the night of March 6/7th a British murder gang set off and killed the mayor of limerick and his predecessor in their homes and an IRA volunteer.

By *orkcouple81Couple  over a year ago

west

Around the late 1700’s, Theobald Wolfe Tone enlisted the help of the French Nav to help overthrow British rule. In 1796, 6500 troups left France for Bantry Bay. With fierce winter weather conditions only a part of the fleet arrived in the Bay — none of the ships were able to land. This was considered one of the major events that kept the Irish from gaining home rule at that time.

By *DSGCouple  over a year ago

That place in

On April 24, 1916, the day after Easter, Irish republicans began an armed rebellion centered mostly in Dublin. The rebels believed that British preoccupation with World War I and the element of surprise would lead to a successful outcome. Initially, the republicans were able to seize barracks and some strategic locations around the capital, but they either neglected or failed to secure ports and railroad stations that allowed the British government to reinforce Dublin with thousands of troops. Disorganization, poor equipment, and the news that a German shipment of arms had been repelled by the Royal Navy greatly diminished the enthusiasm and participation in the rebellion. What became known as the Easter Rising was put down in less than a week when rebel leader Patrick Pearse issued an order to surrender. British response to the revolt was swift and brutal.

By May, dozens of defendants were dragged before secret court martials that did not allow a defense. On May 3, the British began executing individuals involved in the republican leadership. These included Patrick Pearse, shot by firing squad, and James Connolly, who, because of a wound suffered during the fighting, was executed while tied to a chair. Ironically, these executions outraged the previously ambivalent Irish population and united them in hostility against British rule and occupation.

Not sure of the date but when we voted equal marriage rights regardless of sexuality, that was a proud day

By *ORDERMANMan  over a year ago

wrexham

Any truth that when the british were building barricades opposite the GPO by taking furniture from department stores locals were just as quick dismantling the barricades thinking it was christmas not Easter saying that's a nice table and chairs oh I like that sofa .....

I think one of the oddest things about the rebellion was that a detachment from a south side suburb boarded a tram with their officer paying for the 20 singles ...

Surely if you were going to war you'd comandeer the tram..

wrexham

Any truth in that Ned Kelly and Buffalo Bill Cody were distantly related as both had ancestors that originated from county tipperarey

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"Not sure of the date but when we voted equal marriage rights regardless of sexuality, that was a proud day "

Yes it was...the joy on the streets was incredible

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

The Irish Tricolour flag was first flown publicly by Waterford man and Irish American Patriot Thomas Francis Meagher in his native city at the Wolf Tone Confederate Club at 33 The Mall, Waterford on March 7th 1848.

Before the tricolour, Irish nationalists flew a green flag with a harp on it. This older flag was first flown by Irish rebel leader Owen Roe O'Neill in 1642.

By *eralt80Man  over a year ago

cork

About 5000 years ago the world heritage site that is Newgrange was built. This predates the Giza pyramids by about 700years. And to look at it another way Cleopatra is closer to our modern time than she was to the building of Newgrange.

IRISH explorers stand at the heart of the epic story of Antarctic and Arctic exploration

It was an era of discovery echoing with episodes of unimaginable hardship, awe-inspiring endurance and incredible feats of survival. Yet the Irish heroes at the centre of the drama were quickly forgotten and shoved to the margins of history.

The men included the enigmatic Edward Bransfield, the unassuming Francis Crozier, the charismatic leader, Ernest Shackleton and the unsung hero Tom Crean. These men discovered Antarctica, mapped the frozen wastes and were the pathfinders who penetrated the brutal interior, but were soon forgotten.

These men sailed to the ice during Ireland’s period under British rule and after Independence, it was impossible to celebrate any association with the British. With striking symmetry, the age of Antarctic exploration ended with Shackleton’s death on January 5, 1922 — two days before Dáil Éireann ratified the Anglo-Irish Treaty of independence.

Bransfield and Crozier were already footnotes to history and those like Crean, Forde and Keohane, who together had served 80 years in the British navy, were compelled to remain silent about their exploits. Few books were written about these men, no statues were erected and their names faded from history. 

Only now is Ireland starting to recognise these men. Statues have been erected to Crean in Anascaul, Crozier in Banbridge, Forde at Cobh, Keohane in Courtmacsherry and the McCarthy brothers in Kinsale. The cabin where Shackleton died will soon be placed on permanent display in Athy, Kildare. 

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

"Any truth in that Ned Kelly and Buffalo Bill Cody were distantly related as both had ancestors that originated from county tipperarey"

Yes,cody is supposedly Kelly's uncle,

Ned Kelly's grandmother was cody from near cashel

In 1988, Ray Houghton put the ball in the English net!

6 years later he did it to the Italians in the Giants Stadium NY

"The sacking or burning of Cork happened in December 1920. Started with the shooting of 2 IRA volunteers on the northside of the city which in turn lead to the ambushing of British forces in Dillons which in turn lead to the burning of our beautiful city. "

Yes yes i actually missed that show waa going mad but might actually look it up, have you seen the painting on Corks City community center?

When the penal laws started to be relaxed and the Catholic faith was allowed to be practised once again churchs and cathedrals were only allowed to be built in out of the way places such as back streets etc. One of the first cathedrals built in this manner was the one in carlow on St. Patricks lanes.

Relative of mine was anti treaty,he was member of the 3rd Tipperary brigade...there was a curfew and he was caught outside and was shot by pro treaty.

Some of the things the Irish done to one another after the treaty were as bad if not worse than the tans.

"The sacking or burning of Cork happened in December 1920. Started with the shooting of 2 IRA volunteers on the northside of the city which in turn lead to the ambushing of British forces in Dillons which in turn lead to the burning of our beautiful city.

Yes yes i actually missed that show waa going mad but might actually look it up, have you seen the painting on Corks City community center? "

No.. Can't say I have.. Few excellent books out on thd subject and havd seen photos of Patrick Street after it. I sent a pic of the aftermath to a German friend of mine years ago. When his grandmother saw it she asked what part of Dresden was that when it was bombed.

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

For the week that’s in it...

Billy Fox Fine Gael TD from 1969-1973 and Senator from 1973 was murdered on March 11th, 1974.

Mr Fox was visiting the home of his fiancée protestant Marjorie Coulson, just outside Clones, Co Monaghan, when he was “confronted by 12 IRA gunman who were ransacking her home.

Mr Fox confronted the gunmen, then tried to escape, crossing fields, and got about 1km away before being shot in the upper back.

The Coulson family was subsequently ordered out of their home, which was then burnt down.

"IRISH explorers stand at the heart of the epic story of Antarctic and Arctic exploration

It was an era of discovery echoing with episodes of unimaginable hardship, awe-inspiring endurance and incredible feats of survival. Yet the Irish heroes at the centre of the drama were quickly forgotten and shoved to the margins of history.

The men included the enigmatic Edward Bransfield, the unassuming Francis Crozier, the charismatic leader, Ernest Shackleton and the unsung hero Tom Crean. These men discovered Antarctica, mapped the frozen wastes and were the pathfinders who penetrated the brutal interior, but were soon forgotten.

These men sailed to the ice during Ireland’s period under British rule and after Independence, it was impossible to celebrate any association with the British. With striking symmetry, the age of Antarctic exploration ended with Shackleton’s death on January 5, 1922 — two days before Dáil Éireann ratified the Anglo-Irish Treaty of independence.

Bransfield and Crozier were already footnotes to history and those like Crean, Forde and Keohane, who together had served 80 years in the British navy, were compelled to remain silent about their exploits. Few books were written about these men, no statues were erected and their names faded from history. 

Only now is Ireland starting to recognise these men. Statues have been erected to Crean in Anascaul, Crozier in Banbridge, Forde at Cobh, Keohane in Courtmacsherry and the McCarthy brothers in Kinsale. The cabin where Shackleton died will soon be placed on permanent display in Athy, Kildare. 

"

Very interesting thanks for this .

Yes yes i actually missed that show waa going mad but might actually look it up, have you seen the painting on Corks City community center? "

There was a fantastic exhibit on this in St Peters visitor centre in the City

Yes yes i actually missed that show waa going mad but might actually look it up, have you seen the painting on Corks City community center?

There was a fantastic exhibit on this in St Peters visitor centre in the City"

No.. Can't say I have.. Few excellent books out on thd subject and havd seen photos of Patrick Street after it. I sent a pic of the aftermath to a German friend of mine years ago. When his grandmother saw it she asked what part of Dresden was that when it was bombed."

Just a suggestion have a walk to grattan street to Cork Citys Community center it has the burning of Cork painted on the front. It's classy and has lots inside aswell not that you will get inside in these times now. It's worth a look if you in there next time. I was listening to it on the radio that time and meant to look that program up since.

No.. Can't say I have.. Few excellent books out on thd subject and havd seen photos of Patrick Street after it. I sent a pic of the aftermath to a German friend of mine years ago. When his grandmother saw it she asked what part of Dresden was that when it was bombed.

Just a suggestion have a walk to grattan street to Cork Citys Community center it has the burning of Cork painted on the front. It's classy and has lots inside aswell not that you will get inside in these times now. It's worth a look if you in there next time. I was listening to it on the radio that time and meant to look that program up since. "

You've given me my Sunday afternoon activity

Just read on this day in 1965 Che Guevara visited Limerick as a flight he was to be on was delayed in Shannon.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the 5th century and the formation of the welsh church in ireland.

"IRISH explorers stand at the heart of the epic story of Antarctic and Arctic exploration

Very interesting thanks for this . "

The Terror is currently running on BBC2. It's a dramatisation of the Franklin expedition to navigate the final part of the North West passage from which Crozier and all 129 crew never returned

By *ild4funcoupleCouple  over a year ago

city

This became known at the time as the protestant wind

By *elethWoman  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"

This is a fascinating thread, thanks! I recently read Michael Palin's Erebus, about the voyages of the two ships Francis Crozier sailed on while exploring the Poles. It was so interesting.

This is a fascinating thread, thanks! I recently read Michael Palin's Erebus, about the voyages of the two ships Francis Crozier sailed on while exploring the Poles. It was so interesting."

There is a tv show about this called the terror, which was the name of other ship

wrexham

"Any truth in that Ned Kelly and Buffalo Bill Cody were distantly related as both had ancestors that originated from county tipperarey

Yes,cody is supposedly Kelly's uncle,

Ned Kelly's grandmother was cody from near cashel"

Thanks

wrexham

Where not tubbercurry and balbriggan badly burnt by the brits during the war of independence

Why not? Chill out ffs.

This is a fascinating thread, thanks! I recently read Michael Palin's Erebus, about the voyages of the two ships Francis Crozier sailed on while exploring the Poles. It was so interesting.

There is a tv show about this called the terror, which was the name of other ship"

Yes I saw that, great show. Dude that played Moriarty in Game of Shadows was in that, didn't realise he was Richard Harris' son. Apple still on the tree there, ha

"Why not? Chill out ffs."

Because its a dumb ignorant thing to post.

You think its funny, the incitement to hatred?

Let me get this straight. People talking about the ‘Brits’ and ‘IRA volunteers’ and not a peep from you? I think you need to learn some tolerance of the other communities that live on this island. Chill to fuck out. It’s a sex website not a fucking political website.

I think we should play Red Right Hand by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.....

In Irish mythology, Tara is said to have been the capital of the Tuatha Dé Danann, who are based on the gods of pagan Ireland. It says that when the Milesians (the first Gaels) arrived, Tara became the place from which the kings of Mide ruled Ireland.

During the rebellion of 1798, United Irishmen formed a camp on the hill but were attacked and defeated by British troops. The Lia Fáil was allegedly moved to commemorate the 400 rebels who died on the hill that day. In 1843, the Irish nationalist leader Daniel O'Connell hosted a peaceful political demonstration at Tara in favour of Irish self-governance which drew over 750,000 people, highlighting the lasting significance of Tara.

The O’Neills will be turning in their graves lol.

"Glory glory to the Red Hand. Unbroken, undefeated and unbowed, No Surrender.

The red hand of ulster is actually an old Irish symbol.. Before the plantation ulster was the most Irish of provinces and they put up fierce resistance to the British.. Fast forward a few hundred years and the red hand has been hijacked and used by loyalist paramilitaries.. The Tyrone GAA Jersey is a perfect example of how Irish this symbol is.. "

The ‘British’ didn’t exist in those days. The Irish clans/families etc fought it out with themselves. It hasn’t been hijacked it can be used by all on the island but it has a particular association with the North.

"Let me get this straight. People talking about the ‘Brits’ and ‘IRA volunteers’ and not a peep from you? I think you need to learn some tolerance of the other communities that live on this island. Chill to fuck out. It’s a sex website not a fucking political website."

No one wrote "up the ra " just stated things that happened in irish history. You on the other hand.....

"Glory glory to the Red Hand. Unbroken, undefeated and unbowed, No Surrender. "

Why would you post something like this, to cause offence??

"Let me get this straight. People talking about the ‘Brits’ and ‘IRA volunteers’ and not a peep from you? I think you need to learn some tolerance of the other communities that live on this island. Chill to fuck out. It’s a sex website not a fucking political website.

No one wrote "up the ra " just stated things that happened in irish history. You on the other hand....."

I never said anyone wrote ‘up the Ra.’ However I could take offence at ‘volunteers’ or ‘Brits’ but I won’t. What I stated is true wether you like it or not my friend. We've done rightly to maintain our identity, traditions and faith whilst others who came to Ireland became absorbed into Irish society for one reason or another. But listen.......no offence intended.

James Miranda Stuart Barry (born 1789-25th of July 1865) was a military surgeon in the British Army born in Cork. Barry obtained a medical degree from medical school served first in Cape Town and other parts of Britain. He rise high as inspector General in charge of military hospital, he performed the first recorded cesarean section of which both mother and baby survived.

Barrys entire adult life was lived as a man, he was named Margaret Ann Bulley at birth and was known as female in childhood. Barry lived as a man in both public and private life, at least in part in order to be accepted as a university student and pursue a career as a surgeon, with Barrys birth sex only becoming know to public and to military colleagues after dead through autopsy.

Very interesting.

??????????????

"Glory glory to the Red Hand. Unbroken, undefeated and unbowed, No Surrender. "

This is supposed to be a thread about Irish history, not throw away sectarian drivel.

You could have used this thread to post something historical about your community that would inform and educate others following the thread.

Not cause offence...

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

The red hand of ulster is actually an old Irish symbol.. Before the plantation ulster was the most Irish of provinces and they put up fierce resistance to the British.. Fast forward a few hundred years and the red hand has been hijacked and used by loyalist paramilitaries.. The Tyrone GAA Jersey is a perfect example of how Irish this symbol is..

The ‘British’ didn’t exist in those days. The Irish clans/families etc fought it out with themselves. It hasn’t been hijacked it can be used by all on the island but it has a particular association with the North."

Perhaps the ulster Scots should be represented by a more fitting symbol like a unicorn or a saltire.. It would certainly be more fitting of their ancestry as opposed to adopting an old Irish symbol

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

The red hand of ulster is actually an old Irish symbol.. Before the plantation ulster was the most Irish of provinces and they put up fierce resistance to the British.. Fast forward a few hundred years and the red hand has been hijacked and used by loyalist paramilitaries.. The Tyrone GAA Jersey is a perfect example of how Irish this symbol is..

The ‘British’ didn’t exist in those days. The Irish clans/families etc fought it out with themselves. It hasn’t been hijacked it can be used by all on the island but it has a particular association with the North."

The British existed on the island of Ireland for centuries in the other 3 provinces bar Ulster because they were terrified of the Irish ulster men's resistance.. The other 3 provinces were planted with mostly English people.. Ulster was the last of the plantations and most successful as it still exists today..

"Not sure of the date but when we voted equal marriage rights regardless of sexuality, that was a proud day

Yes it was...the joy on the streets was incredible "

I was at a Dirty Circus gig in the Roisin Dubh, I still smile thinking of the guy dressed as Freddie from the I Want to Break Free video carrying half a vacuum cleaner

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

The one thing I've noticed about people the are into history is they don't have a clue what one paragraph is.

"The one thing I've noticed about people the are into history is they don't have a clue what one paragraph is. "

Sure no one follows rules on here Wrx, you know that!

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Anne cormack

Born in cork in the 1700's

Emigrated to england then america..

She married a small time pirate named bonny...

Moved to Nassau and partnered with calico jack...

Became a feared pirate

Caught and sentenced to death,but managed to get off...

This is supposed to be a thread about Irish history, not throw away sectarian drivel.

You could have used this thread to post something historical about your community that would inform and educate others following the thread.

Not cause offence..."

Yawn yawn yawn. That is good history.

I think my sex life qualifies now

"I think my sex life qualifies now"

Lol awe, you are definitely not alone there.

[Removed by poster at 13/03/21 18:54:29]

Seems like an apt bit of trivia given the upcoming celebrations:

Records show that a St. Patrick’s Day parade was held on March 17, 1601 in a Spanish colony in what is now St. Augustine, Florida. The parade, and a St. Patrick’s Day celebration a year earlier were organized by the Spanish Colony's Irish vicar Ricardo Artur. More than a century later, homesick Irish soldiers serving in the English military marched in Boston in 1737

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

1856 Patrick Nally was born in County Mayo on this day in 1856. He was a brilliant athlete and won several events across various sports as a teenager. He had discussions with his friend, Michael Cusack about the formation of a Gaelic Athletic Association, which Cusack went on to found in 1884.

Nally became involved with the Irish Republican Brotherhood and was put in prison over disputed allegations of planning the murder of British officials. He was offered an early release if he agreed to give false evidence against Irish nationalist politician Charles Parnell, but he responded by saying:

“Not all the gold or honours that the Queen could bestow would indue Patrick Nally to become a traitor.”

After serving eight years of a ten year sentence, Nally was due for release due to good behaviour. However, he reportedly died of typhoid fever shortly before his release date, but many Irish nationalists believed he was killed.

In 1953, the newly built stand in Ireland’s national stadium Croke Park was renamed the Nally Stand.

Three castles burning is a great Irish history podcast