FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > IRE

IRE

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *unfilled OP   Man  over a year ago

tipp

In the 34 years I'm on earth today has been the worst day, every year Patrick's day was the best day, everyone gets together of every nationality/race and lived for the moment... Not only the land of Ireland but around the world, hopefully next year will be achieved.. I know everyone has different beliefs but in one paragraph whats your experience

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

The only years I haven't worked on St Patrick's Day were when it fell on a Sunday.

There were no celebrations growing up. You wore shamrock and went to mass and that was that.

Parades etc only started around 30 years ago and I've never been to one.

I don't drink so it's always been just another day.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I am usually always working at Patrick's Day. And even when I haven't it has been just another day. I only ever saw one parade when I was about 5 years old. I don't think I've ever gone out drinking on it. It really was always just another day.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The only years I haven't worked on St Patrick's Day were when it fell on a Sunday.

There were no celebrations growing up. You wore shamrock and went to mass and that was that.

Parades etc only started around 30 years ago and I've never been to one.

I don't drink so it's always been just another day. "

You mean in Belfast? There was parades in Limerick in the 50s for definite as I was looking at FB posts yesterday.

Im not particularly attached to it as a day of celebration. Ive no habits, traditions or expectations associated with it.

It’s turned into a big puss up day , did we really need another one !!!

"There were no celebrations growing up. You wore shamrock and went to mass and that was that. "

We're of a similar age and that is my recollection of it also. I take no particular pride in being Irish, it's an accident of birth, not an accomplishment. People are people.

"It’s turned into a big puss up day , did we really need another one !!! "

No. But i definitely need another day off.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"There were no celebrations growing up. You wore shamrock and went to mass and that was that.

We're of a similar age and that is my recollection of it also. I take no particular pride in being Irish, it's an accident of birth, not an accomplishment. People are people."

I've been told at least twice that I'm not truly Irish simply based on the fact I don't drink.

Once by an Englishman when on a course and then by an American woman on holiday.

I'm more than happy to say I'm Irish and take a certain amount of pride in it but I didn't realise getting pissed was one of the qualifications.

There were parades back in the 60's and 70's but they were local church parades with no floats or music etc.

Having worked in the hospitality trade for over 30 years , It was the 1 day of the year I dreaded. People on the lash all day , watching out for any eejits, making sure no one got hurt or too d*unk. Now im out of it for last 5 years, I still cant fully relax if Im out for a drink.So the last 2 St Patricks days have been a godsend to me.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Ahh yer all a bunch of miserable creatures. Not one post with some Irish positivity. You can celebrate without drinking or drinking over the top, you know. I've experienced many times just friends coming together for a sing/tune, a chat and a jar. Unfortunately not since covid-19 but hopefully next year again...

Anyhow I had a lovely homemade green cake yesterday, some Czech beer and middle east style dinner, added some Irish music and it all came together and made a lovely combo.

There was no real Paddy's day last year either. At least we all alive and in good health... It could always be worse

Short order chef I was yesterday morning. Smoked streaky and poached eggs on crispy Toast. two bloody spoilt kids I have.

We live on the coast so it was a rock hopping fiesta for the afternoon. A mix between crossfit and the monkey bars. A picnic with 3 food groups followed. The Fizzy, Biscuit, and Cheese n Onion food groups.

Met Neighbours on the beach and we sat around chatting on the rocks while the kids fecked off and got some Ice cream and dared each other to do pranks on their folks, I got stiched up twice.

Maybe it's generational but falling out of a pub is not a celebration in my book. Yesterday we didn't celebrate St Patrick's...rather we celebrated being a family. And it was frigging AWESOME. There will be other Mid March days to celebrate in the future. Yesterday's suited us. And it was full of smiles. Screw you Covid...

"Ahh yer all a bunch of miserable creatures. Not one post with some Irish positivity. You can celebrate without drinking or drinking over the top, you know. I've experienced many times just friends coming together for a sing/tune, a chat and a jar. Unfortunately not since covid-19 but hopefully next year again...

Anyhow I had a lovely homemade green cake yesterday, some Czech beer and middle east style dinner, added some Irish music and it all came together and made a lovely combo. "

You're right you're right!!

I enjoyed yesterday in little ways. I missed the tunes and the atmosphere and the celebrating being Irish - which I feel very very lucky to be.

Yesterday was a great day tbh.. i spent it with my family feeling grateful. Some might miss the annual piss up but thats the way it is..

Chin up everyone and give it your best..

By *nquisitive ladyWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I've always loved St Patricks day and we always did something to mark the occasion. I would always take the day after off work too. We also have spent many a St Patricks day in America where they go all out with their day .The last 2 were possible the quieter that we have ever spent. We watched Cheltenham yesterday and that was the height of our activities. Roll on next year

By *ublinGirl92Woman  over a year ago

Hell

When I was a child my mam always brought me into town to watch the parade but she was clever so we would go to the supermacs on O'Connell Street, sit upstairs and watch the parade from there.

As an teenager/adult I stopped being bothered about going into town. I hated the crowds of d*unk people so I'd just spend it hanging out with friends.

Yesterday, I ate coddle and went to bed early haha

By *herry...Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere

For me St Patrick's day is about family and yes I'm proud of my Irish heritage, I don't drink on St Patrick's so I didn't miss the pubs, I did miss the family getting together and I was working so I didn't manage to get my green milkshake

"In the 34 years I'm on earth today has been the worst day, every year Patrick's day was the best day, everyone gets together of every nationality/race and lived for the moment... Not only the land of Ireland but around the world, hopefully next year will be achieved.. I know everyone has different beliefs but in one paragraph whats your experience "

I guess your finger slipped when creating your profile age then

» Add a new message to this topic