FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Your opinion of Bono and U2

Your opinion of Bono and U2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ofusplus OP   Couple  over a year ago

Limerick

There seems to be no grey area with this, we either love him or we loathe him. But despite the apparent ego, the non-payment of Irish taxes and those dreadful glasses, I think it's pretty amazing what he and U2 have achieved as a band, achieved for Ireland and not forgetting their charity work abroad. He and U2 deserve so much more credit than they get.

Discuss

Mrs

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

Bono is a cunt plain and simple

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bono is a prick and they are shite!

*close thread

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I actually think between him and Bob Geldof you could make an argument for the greatest ever Irish man ...no joke

I love their gigs,their music,their work for charity and their social causes.

He's a gentleman to work for and genuinely still the only celebrity that I've ever met that can literally suck the oxygen out of a room of 14,000 people in it with everyone staring at him and taking pictures without it bothering him

A Rock Star

Limerick

I notice opinions but no explanations

Please explain why you have come to these conclusions?

Limerick

"I actually think between him and Bob Geldof you could make an argument for the greatest ever Irish man ...no joke

He's a gentleman to work for and genuinely still the only celebrity that I've ever met that can literally suck the oxygen out of a room of 14,000 people in it with everyone staring at him and taking pictures without it bothering him

A Rock Star

"

Thank you, a proper reasoning for your conclusion about him

Limerick

I would even suggest that to dislike Bono is an example of good old Irish begrudgery!

I totally agree with you... I dont think we fully appreciate the impact U2 have had globally for ireland. When i lived in the US they still have this leprechaun and Darby O Gill view of Ireland. Love or loathe U2, they changed that stereotype of ireland whereby this cool Irish band were taking over the US and playing massive stadium gigs. Yes they can be a bit arsey and preachy at times but I think we don't give them enough credit in ireland. It's almost uncool to say you like U2 now

By *ouple 0073Couple  over a year ago

donegal

They are an amazing band.. Some of the best popular music over the past 30 odd years has been made by them.. I can understand where some people and myself at times gets pissed of with bono.. He can be hard to listen to at times.. Like alot of celebrities...

An amazing band which I've seen many time live over the years fortunately..

But Bono is a pox

donegal

"An amazing band which I've seen many time live over the years fortunately..

But Bono is a pox "

less talkin at his gigs and more singing

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Has any band ever managed to transcend so many generations and remain at the absolute top of their game with completely difference in styles since they started?

Dont think so.

Bono is a knob but hes meant to be actually dead sound once out of the spotlight. I know a few people who know him and have worked for him.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"Bono is a cunt plain and simple"

That's what money and success does to people

I don't like the music and don't like Bono either thinking he's some sort of saviour to all humanity with those stupid looking glasses that he never takes off. I wonder does he wear them in bed and all crooked when he's about to come and make him look like an even bigger tool? Real Nice guy though

The Joshua tree was the best album but after that... the new stuff is utter garbage imo and his lyrics are laughable.

I definitely won't be adding him to my will

By *ocketman99Man  over a year ago

fermanagh

Sometimes I find listening to Bono can be a bit hard work, but I also think he and the band gets a raw deal. First of, the 'silly glasses' we some of them might be of poor choice given the range in Specsavers but he has to wear glasses. he has Glaucoma.

Secondly, a little fact that few know of that at the start of the COVID pandemic and the various governments debacle in securing PPE the band secretly obtained €10million worth of PPE. (don't tell anyone, they might get credit for it).

finally, as for their music they are in my opinion brilliant. A true measure of a great band/artist is to continue to innovate and develop their musical range. The "old Stuff" didn't really change until they released Achtung Baby. That album was such a change to their sound and like nothing else really at the time revolutionary. Their last two albums are of real quality. Some of the tracks on those albums, other artists would give their right arm for them. Personally, its the 'new stuff' I listen to most.

Regarding their live performances, well having seen REM, Oasis, Blur, Prince and many more the only band that can equal them to shear raw power live is Pearl Jam, and Mr Vedder aint without his views on politics or willingness to voice them.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

I don't like the way he got involved in politics.. That moment where he brought John Hume and David Trimble on stage and raised their hands as if he had just created the peace process was cringeworthy.. Think he loses touch with reality every now and again

By *ocketman99Man  over a year ago

fermanagh

"I don't like the way he got involved in politics.. That moment where he brought John Hume and David Trimble on stage and raised their hands as if he had just created the peace process was cringeworthy.. Think he loses touch with reality every now and again "

I would agree with that totally. Sometimes I think if he shut up about politics and just sung and the band played as hard as they do, they might (just might) be appreciated in their home country. Lets face it, U2 aren't appreciated on their home soil, for a multitude of reasons.

By *iablo soloWoman  over a year ago

Southside

Loathe him and his stupid draaaawwwwwnnnnn out accent!

"I notice opinions but no explanations

Please explain why you have come to these conclusions?"

Kaizer does not like any of their music as it is horse manure and believes Mr Bono to be a pompous prick based on a number of interviews the very man gave on quite a number of occasions

That explanation enough?

By *he rover returnedWoman  over a year ago

xxx

Hes just a bit of a twat

"Loathe him and his stupid draaaawwwwwnnnnn out accent! "
....I would pay to see your reaction if you were walking around killiney and he came running up to you to say hello!!

Limerick

Kaizer does not like any of their music as it is horse manure and believes Mr Bono to be a pompous prick based on a number of interviews the very man gave on quite a number of occasions

That explanation enough? "

Kaizer using the term 'pompous' to describe someone? Pot ... kettle ... black

That explanation enough?

Kaizer using the term 'pompous' to describe someone? Pot ... kettle ... black "

Okay... And?

He's still a wanker

By *parklySassWoman  over a year ago

Sassville

Think if Bono could give himself a Sainthood he would... Think hes a prick tbh.

My unexplained opinion!!!

The sign of a real wanker is someone that wears sunglasses indoors!

*case closed

somewhere

I think that anyone's opinion of Bono is not going to be changed from what it is before they started reading this

I wonder is there any other band in the world so divisive

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I can take or leave their music as I'm not really a fan and as such haven't given much thought to Mr Hewson.

Just in relation to the "stupid glasses" though, two of my daughters have worn similar glasses which were prescribed to help with dyslexia and dyspraxia.

The coloured lenses stop letters and words from floating on the page which a person struggles to follow and interpret.

Someone else said above he has glaucoma but I'd never judge someone on something so shallow.

Southside

"Loathe him and his stupid draaaawwwwwnnnnn out accent! ....I would pay to see your reaction if you were walking around killiney and he came running up to you to say hello!! "

You would be wasting ur money as I've met him before and I would be the very same around him as I've been around many others who have fame due to being musical...to quote another famous musical person "that dont impress me much"

donegal

Sick of listening to rock stars and actors telling the world where it is goin wrong from their ivory towers.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Proper begrudgery....who do they think they are having successfully spanned decades....sold album after album...

And that bono lad....the cheek of him to have to wear sunglasses for medical condition.....

And politics....imagine the cheek of them to play a gig with ash for the referendum....and have hume and Trimble onstage with their first public handshake....

He might be a gobshite but hes never told me to f##k off...

By *igBlondeDommeWoman  over a year ago

middle of nowhere

Bono is a tool. Not a useful one at that. Money and fame didn't make him a big-headed twat he was always one.

"I think that anyone's opinion of Bono is not going to be changed from what it is before they started reading this

I wonder is there any other band in the world so divisive"

What about Destiny's Child?

Was Beyonce holding Kelly & Michelle back?

How had the most talent?

Sassville

"Bono is a tool. Not a useful one at that. Money and fame didn't make him a big-headed twat he was always one. "

"Loathe him and his stupid draaaawwwwwnnnnn out accent! ....I would pay to see your reaction if you were walking around killiney and he came running up to you to say hello!!

You would be wasting ur money as I've met him before and I would be the very same around him as I've been around many others who have fame due to being musical...to quote another famous musical person "that dont impress me much""

.... Oh you are quite right... Im not a celebrity hogger either... I barely bat an eyelid.. But just to see your brow furrow would be funny!!

Southside

"Loathe him and his stupid draaaawwwwwnnnnn out accent! ....I would pay to see your reaction if you were walking around killiney and he came running up to you to say hello!!

You would be wasting ur money as I've met him before and I would be the very same around him as I've been around many others who have fame due to being musical...to quote another famous musical person "that dont impress me much".... Oh you are quite right... Im not a celebrity hogger either... I barely bat an eyelid.. But just to see your brow furrow would be funny!! "

It would be an annoyed brow furrow....a what ya doing coming to say hello to me when I'm out doing my run ffs!!!

Limerick

It's a shame most people seem to judge him more for his words than his actions. He has done so much good for Ireland with little recognition. I don't give a shite how he comes across in interviews, it's the good that he has done that matters to me

By *iktikiCouple  over a year ago

city centre

"I would even suggest that to dislike Bono is an example of good old Irish begrudgery! "

You've saved me an explanation. Can't stand the man or the music. In fact if you wanted to torture me, playing anything by U2 or Sting/The Police might just break me

donegal

"It's a shame most people seem to judge him more for his words than his actions. He has done so much good for Ireland with little recognition. I don't give a shite how he comes across in interviews, it's the good that he has done that matters to me "
true.. But I can understand why some people don't like him!

"Think if Bono could give himself a Sainthood he would... Think hes a prick tbh.

My unexplained opinion!!! "

If he was chocolate he'd eat himself

Sassville

"Think if Bono could give himself a Sainthood he would... Think hes a prick tbh.

If he was chocolate he'd eat himself "

Or if he could give himself a bj he'd never leave the house

donegal

That explanation enough?

You've saved me an explanation. Can't stand the man or the music. In fact if you wanted to torture me, playing anything by U2 or Sting/The Police might just break me"

that is the very reason why music is "the sweetest thing"..

By *arpenter.Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Ahh sure he's probably been fed grapes now and being fanned down by the edge.. cracking day stay safe everyone and you Bono

somewhere

If he was chocolate he'd eat himself

Or if he could give himself a bj he'd never leave the house "

In fairness.....

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

I cant forgive him for the hairstyle crimes of the eighties. I know he wasnt the only one but I cant forgive them either. Some crimes can never be forgiven or forgotten. He should have his head shaved every month just in case he reoffends.

I like U2 music, but Bono I can't stand

As a group they are brilliant and did brilliantly on the world stage, still do.

As a person, met him once. Acted with small man syndrome and was a twat, totally rude to my then girlfriend at a club door going in who had done nothing to him. Dave (Edge) was a pure gentleman and just look at us saddened at his attitude, I shook his hand and said don't worry about it, we know he's a wally.

As an image, he's somewhere, everywhere with RTE for some reason and it's annoying. Another bono column here, another bono column there, guitar for charity, song for covid, archive material up front and centre on RTE website. Too fecking much last year. It's like we don't have any other successful artists in this country. Van Morrison, Luka Bloom, Enya, Don't get the same coverage. Currently I'm waiting for my Easter Bono Cup with much anticipation.

However, his daughter, Eve, wonderful actress and very down to earth.

Belfast

"As a group they are brilliant and did brilliantly on the world stage, still do.

As a person, met him once. Acted with small man syndrome and was a twat, totally rude to my then girlfriend at a club door going in who had done nothing to him. Dave (Edge) was a pure gentleman and just look at us saddened at his attitude, I shook his hand and said don't worry about it, we know he's a wally.

As an image, he's somewhere, everywhere with RTE for some reason and it's annoying. Another bono column here, another bono column there, guitar for charity, song for covid, archive material up front and centre on RTE website. Too fecking much last year. It's like we don't have any other successful artists in this country. Van Morrison, Luka Bloom, Enya, Don't get the same coverage. Currently I'm waiting for my Easter Bono Cup with much anticipation.

However, his daughter, Eve, wonderful actress and very down to earth. "

Van Morrison is an ignorant arrogant entitled human being.

By *j69funCouple  over a year ago

kildare

U2 is an amazing band

Bono is a gobshit.

By *unkerbobMan  over a year ago

belfast

"I actually think between him and Bob Geldof you could make an argument for the greatest ever Irish man ...no joke

A Rock Star Please tell us your on the wind -up !!!!!!

"

By *igBlondeDommeWoman  over a year ago

middle of nowhere

"As a group they are brilliant and did brilliantly on the world stage, still do.

Van Morrison is an ignorant arrogant entitled human being."

He really is. An anti lockdown idiot too.

"I would even suggest that to dislike Bono is an example of good old Irish begrudgery! "

So if you're Irish you must like him? Strange logic, that.

somewhere

A Rock Star Please tell us your on the wind -up !!!!!!

"

I can only go by my actual experience of dealing with the band through work so yes he's one of the best front men to a band ever in my view...a real rock star ...whatever "it" is he has "it" in spades

He always says thanks if you do something for him unlike some people that are celebrities so I like the man

"I can take or leave their music as I'm not really a fan and as such haven't given much thought to Mr Hewson.

Just in relation to the "stupid glasses" though, two of my daughters have worn similar glasses which were prescribed to help with dyslexia and dyspraxia.

The coloured lenses stop letters and words from floating on the page which a person struggles to follow and interpret.

Someone else said above he has glaucoma but I'd never judge someone on something so shallow.

"

Yes as above he has a problem with his eyesight. I’m no doctor but I know he has to wear them for a medical reason

Let's say there was no such thing as covid, and they announced they were playing Slane this year, it would sell out in minutes

Simples

U2 are class

Limerick

"I would even suggest that to dislike Bono is an example of good old Irish begrudgery!

So if you're Irish you must like him? Strange logic, that."

Not saying that you must like him at all. I'm saying that people who dislike him but have no justifiable reason for it are begrudgers, us Irish are famous for it

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

The only version on bono i like is the apres match one

"I would even suggest that to dislike Bono is an example of good old Irish begrudgery!

Not saying that you must like him at all. I'm saying that people who dislike him but have no justifiable reason for it are begrudgers, us Irish are famous for it "

I don't begrudge him anything. Still don't like him.

I often wonder why people ask for opinions on something yet can't accept those that differ from theirs without stroking out about it or feel the need to attribute that difference to some negative personality trait

By *ubzrMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Love U2 and Like Bono, great representatives for ireland.

Bono is a sicking dose

I like U2's music do.

Prick

Interesting discussion. I think I can understand why people dislike him. I used to think that we can separate the man from the artist. But we can't, he is one person.

The sentiment of many about him and U2 is familiar to me but only because something like that happens to me with Pablo Picasso. To me he was an arrogant pretentious cunt and a womanizer who only took advantage of the African culture to create his art and never gave them the recognition they deserved. But, can I deny that he was the greatest in his time and had a massive and successful influence in the world of art and his work continued inspiring many great artists until our days? No, I can't, thats undeniable, even if I disliked him so much.

About the band. Over in Latin America they venerated them. All I learnt about them was the grandiosity of their music. Even when I moved to Central Europe still didn't hear anything about them besides music. It was only when I moved to Ireland when I learnt about the 'low profile' of Bono. I'd say it depends on the familiarity. The closer we are to people the less we like them and the worse they'll appear to our eyes. The band has its merits and hating them for their personal behaviour or judging them by that only would be hypocritical because we would have to do the same with many many others.

By *arrybo2000Man  over a year ago

Wicklow

I can see resemblances with Bono qnd a certain guy on the forums.

Anyone else see it ?

That explanation enough?

Anyone else see it ? "

Don't we all resemble to someone at a certain level? Is it because he is a super star/influencer he is less human?

By *ickNamelessMan  over a year ago

Valencia, Spain, Dublin, Cork

I don't believe I love nor loathe him. I recognise the artistic greatness, find the public persona and the political posturing annoying and shallow.

I have only superficially met the man at a function once. I worked as a freelance contractor for the UK office of a company that was taken over by his investment fund, Elevation Partners. As far as the staff and suppliers like myself were concerned, it was a classical private equity operation of the most unethical, cynical kind: asset-stripping, firing, reduced pay and much worse conditions. A new contract with draconian (and it turned out illegal) restrictions on freelance providers was issued as an ultimatum. The old management team, myself and many colleagues left, the UK office was closed and operations moved to lower-wage economies. Eight years later, it was sold on to a Japanese fund, and last year it changed ownership again, this time to a Singaporean conglomerate. Until the acquisition by Elevation Partners, this company was known for high quality, artistic integrity, and fair payment. After Bono's involvement, it entered into a race to the bottom, lowered quality standards, and treated its staff and partners much worse than it had in the past. They also brought in new American managers with no experience in the industry or knowledge of the European market, but very keen to exercise power.

This is just a personal, indirect, experience, but from my perspective the man is a brilliant artist, an annoying politically posturing idiot, and a pretty ruthless speculator who cares little for the victims of his investment activities. We are all complex creatures, and a great musician can be a cynical capitalist and a philanthropic poser.

somewhere

That explanation enough?

Anyone else see it ? "

Who

I do not doubt for one second they are talented musicians. They have done a lot too.

I think some people are fed up with him preaching about being better whilst avoiding paying any taxes. His charity work does some times seem to be a publicity stunt a kind of "Look how good I am"

But then again, us Irish are begrudgers. We like success, but when they get too successful we do become spiteful. Tommy Tiernan had a guest of a few weeks back, forget the actors name but they had a fun back and forth about fame in Ireland. Definitely worth the watch

By *ublinGirl92Woman  over a year ago

Hell

They have a handful of songs I'd tolerate listening to. I don't think they are a bad band, bad bands don't get to be huge worldwide, I just really don't like them. I don't enjoy Bono's voice and I think most of their songs are quite boring.

As for his personality, I obviously don't know him in person so he could be lovely but he comes off like a smug, sanctimonious prick. The Edge too. I think he comes off like as much of an arsehole as Bono.

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

Maybe like one or two songs that's about it

That explanation enough?

Anyone else see it ? "

What in the name of good fuck are you doing to your genitalia?!?

Leave Bogperson out of this

Bono wants the Bitty.

"Bono wants the Bitty."

By *scouple07Couple  over a year ago

louth, Ireland

Don't like him as a person but always loved his music

Mr

Limerick

"Bono wants the Bitty."

I'm sure Bono gets all the Bitty he wants

"Bono is a prick and they are shite!

*close thread "

You win

My unexplained opinion!!! "

He’d be much quicker to give himself a blowjob

He probably thinks his own cum is too precious and holy to give to a note else

"It's a shame most people seem to judge him more for his words than his actions. He has done so much good for Ireland with little recognition. I don't give a shite how he comes across in interviews, it's the good that he has done that matters to me "

He’s got plenty more than enough recognition for being a musicless boring preachy cunt

And that “sound” and “message” they have was totally cynically developed for the Christian rock festivals which guarantee a band to break America

Let no one fool you that his holier than thou exterior is for benevolence - it’s to keep this image that keeps the Christian do gooders in the US rolling him in his billions

A smug cunt with a god complex

Hadn’t even a fucking clue who Liam Clancy was until his hero Bob Dylan chastised him and told him to cop on and go learn his shit before trying to talk to him again

He hasn’t a fucking ounce of culture nor sincerity in him - dripping in falseness

And don’t even get me started on the peace process stuff - a total and utter cunt - he’d have survived in the troubled alright ..... pfffft

Are you seriously EXPECTING people to explain their reasons that Bono is a useless dope to you?

That your stance is so merited we need to try to disprove you? Are you so great? Fuck off with that

It’s well obvious at this stage you just posted it for your own gratification and didn’t want one bit of reasoned debate as is to be seen from your snide “after the fact” demand for someone’s justification of his dislike of Mr twatface.

A passive aggressive attempt at belittling - and a really unsubtle one

So above are all my reasons

He’s a sanctimonious cunt and might just appeal to sanctimonious cunts too

By *ardyboy54321Man  over a year ago

Fermanagh

Who

"Ahh sure he's probably been fed grapes now and being fanned down by the edge.. cracking day stay safe everyone and you Bono "

Probably being edged by Adam more like

Van Morrison is an ignorant arrogant entitled human being."

At least he can actually play, sing and write - an actual incredible musician

Not excusing his behaviour but at least he’s transparent

Bono has no discernible talent and is a hypocritical false cunt

"I can take or leave their music as I'm not really a fan and as such haven't given much thought to Mr Hewson.

Yes as above he has a problem with his eyesight. I’m no doctor but I know he has to wear them for a medical reason

"

That’s amazing you know him so personally to know that

Not saying that you must like him at all. I'm saying that people who dislike him but have no justifiable reason for it are begrudgers, us Irish are famous for it "

Why don’t you justify your reasons he’s great because all I’ve seen so far is your opinion and no real justification. Spot my irony and sarcasm yet?

And loads have given their justification you demanded and yet you haven’t acknowledged nearly any of it. That’s telling

donegal

Bono has no discernible talent and is a hypocritical false cunt "

no talent.. Well I think that's a bit of a stretch..

Not saying that you must like him at all. I'm saying that people who dislike him but have no justifiable reason for it are begrudgers, us Irish are famous for it

I don't begrudge him anything. Still don't like him.

I often wonder why people ask for opinions on something yet can't accept those that differ from theirs without stroking out about it or feel the need to attribute that difference to some negative personality trait "

You nailed that response

"Interesting discussion. I think I can understand why people dislike him. I used to think that we can separate the man from the artist. But we can't, he is one person.

The sentiment of many about him and U2 is familiar to me but only because something like that happens to me with Pablo Picasso. To me he was an arrogant pretentious cunt and a womanizer who only took advantage of the African culture to create his art and never gave them the recognition they deserved. But, can I deny that he was the greatest in his time and had a massive and successful influence in the world of art and his work continued inspiring many great artists until our days? No, I can't, thats undeniable, even if I disliked him so much.

About the band. Over in Latin America they venerated them. All I learnt about them was the grandiosity of their music. Even when I moved to Central Europe still didn't hear anything about them besides music. It was only when I moved to Ireland when I learnt about the 'low profile' of Bono. I'd say it depends on the familiarity. The closer we are to people the less we like them and the worse they'll appear to our eyes. The band has its merits and hating them for their personal behaviour or judging them by that only would be hypocritical because we would have to do the same with many many others."

Is not hypocritical- in fact it’s the opposite

Are you sure we don’t do it with others?

And isn’t it more fucked up to think he’s totally great even if we have issues with some of his “persona”

You don’t seem to understand at all the definition of hypocritical

Bono has no discernible talent and is a hypocritical false cunt no talent.. Well I think that's a bit of a stretch.. "

This is my opinion and compared to how his talent is talked about world wide it is tending towards zero

Fuck me it’s the essence of blandness

Bono is triggering as fuck

"I don't believe I love nor loathe him. I recognise the artistic greatness, find the public persona and the political posturing annoying and shallow.

I have only superficially met the man at a function once. I worked as a freelance contractor for the UK office of a company that was taken over by his investment fund, Elevation Partners. As far as the staff and suppliers like myself were concerned, it was a classical private equity operation of the most unethical, cynical kind: asset-stripping, firing, reduced pay and much worse conditions. A new contract with draconian (and it turned out illegal) restrictions on freelance providers was issued as an ultimatum. The old management team, myself and many colleagues left, the UK office was closed and operations moved to lower-wage economies. Eight years later, it was sold on to a Japanese fund, and last year it changed ownership again, this time to a Singaporean conglomerate. Until the acquisition by Elevation Partners, this company was known for high quality, artistic integrity, and fair payment. After Bono's involvement, it entered into a race to the bottom, lowered quality standards, and treated its staff and partners much worse than it had in the past. They also brought in new American managers with no experience in the industry or knowledge of the European market, but very keen to exercise power.

This is just a personal, indirect, experience, but from my perspective the man is a brilliant artist, an annoying politically posturing idiot, and a pretty ruthless speculator who cares little for the victims of his investment activities. We are all complex creatures, and a great musician can be a cynical capitalist and a philanthropic poser.

"

This is a good post for insight except your artistic brilliance thing. I seriously disagree with that but you have otherwise discussed a very important and cleverly hidden crucial aspect of the man

He’s bullshitting about saving poor people while eagerly creating them too

A hypocritical sanctimonious false bastard and all the stupid people who fall for it

Sad

donegal

"I don't believe I love nor loathe him. I recognise the artistic greatness, find the public persona and the political posturing annoying and shallow.

This is a good post for insight except your artistic brilliance thing. I seriously disagree with that but you have otherwise discussed a very important and cleverly hidden crucial aspect of the man

A hypocritical sanctimonious false bastard and all the stupid people who fall for it

Sad "

take a breath man

Sad take a breath man "

Breathing is a natural state so you’re concern is unnecessary

donegal

Sad take a breath man

Breathing is a natural state so you’re concern is unnecessary "

wow.. Well that's good to know.. Thanks x

"

Sad "

Gosh, all that energy put into that. Do you think that makes a positive difference, I don't think so. And you calling people names for their choice of music. Come on we live in a free world. Chill pills you look sexy

Can you point out on this doll where bono touched you

Sad take a breath man

Breathing is a natural state so you’re concern is unnecessary wow.. Well that's good to know.. Thanks x"

Not a problem! Don’t forget to blink either. Helps with eye cleanliness

"

Sad

Gosh, all that energy put into that. Do you think that makes a positive difference, I don't think so. And you calling people names for their choice of music. Come on we live in a free world. Chill pills you look sexy "

Do I think what? Sorry you’ll need to be more clear in your writing

As for name calling- I’m not even close to the first person in this thread being a dick, but at least I own it and am not passive aggressive about it

A free world where you want to challenge my free opinion? Have a wee think there haha

Are you saying that chill pills look sexy?

Whatever floats your wee boat. But thanks for (not) addressing most my points

"Can you point out on this doll where bono touched you"

Good touch or bad touch?!

donegal

Sad take a breath man

Breathing is a natural state so you’re concern is unnecessary wow.. Well that's good to know.. Thanks x

Not a problem! Don’t forget to blink either. Helps with eye cleanliness "

I'll keep it in mind

"Can you point out on this doll where bono touched you"

Are you talking to me? Hard to tell, when someone hasn’t grasped the simple reply function idea after so long

I don’t keep dolls and I’d be worried if Bono did too but it wouldn’t surprise me

As for voodoo, ach, I believe in a wee thing called science ye know

Sad take a breath man

Breathing is a natural state so you’re concern is unnecessary wow.. Well that's good to know.. Thanks x

Not a problem! Don’t forget to blink either. Helps with eye cleanliness I'll keep it in mind "

Glad eye could help

somewhere

Don't want to read all that again but he really is the equivalent of Marmite isn't he

Love him or loth him and very little in the middle ground

"

Sad

Gosh, all that energy put into that. Do you think that makes a positive difference, I don't think so. And you calling people names for their choice of music. Come on we live in a free world. Chill pills you look sexy

As for name calling- I’m not even close to the first person in this thread being a dick, but at least I own it and am not passive aggressive about it

A free world where you want to challenge my free opinion? Have a wee think there haha

"

Its obvious that engaging in a discussion with you wouldn't bring anything positive for either of us. So I'll leave it there and wish you a lighter monday afternoon.

"Can you point out on this doll where bono touched you

Are you talking to me? Hard to tell, when someone hasn’t grasped the simple reply function idea after so long

I don’t keep dolls and I’d be worried if Bono did too but it wouldn’t surprise me

As for voodoo, ach, I believe in a wee thing called science ye know "

I couldn't narrow it down to one of your posts to reply to tbh

I probably should have used the one where you said cunt like 5 times

"

Sad

Its obvious that engaging in a discussion with you wouldn't bring anything positive for either of us. So I'll leave it there and wish you a lighter monday afternoon. "

Well I’m certainly not going to engage with someone who is either telling me to chill or thinks chill pills are sexy. It’s hard to be sure with the way you wrote it!

You see, not everyone responds well to being ordered to do something by an anon account, particularly to “chill”.

Believe it or not I’m quite relaxed, and simply enjoy challenging people’s view points and in particular those who demand justifications (OP)

I really don’t have an issue with you bar the slight condescending chill comment but I suspect you don’t realise how you come across

It’s never a constructive or “bringing anything positive” to a debate

"Can you point out on this doll where bono touched you

As for voodoo, ach, I believe in a wee thing called science ye know

I couldn't narrow it down to one of your posts to reply to tbh

I probably should have used the one where you said cunt like 5 times "

Well you’ve found the reply thingy again at least. Good man yourself. Hey look, there it was all the time

somewhere

"

Very interesting perspective and not one you'd normally hear about

Limerick

Very interesting perspective and not one you'd normally hear about "

Yes, a very interesting perspective, thanks for that

The bloke himself boils my piss...cant stand the oracle fuck

But then ill listen to the Joshua Tree and just go "fuck thats some album"

Limerick

My apologies, I should have explained my own 'why' before asking (not demanding) for others to explain their positions.

I had to do a bit of Googling to get the figures, but here is a synopsis of what Bono and U2 have done for Ireland and internationally:

1. Funding Music Education in Ireland:

U2 is the primary source of funding for Music Generation, Ireland’s National Music Education Programme, which transforms the lives of children and young people through access to high quality, subsidised performance music education. U2 has so far donated €7 million representing 64% of all funding received.

2. Supporting Irish Charities

Some of their charitable contributions in Ireland have been to

- the Chernobyl Children’s Project

- One in Four

- victims of the Omagh bombing

- Irish Hospice Foundation

- Concern and Goal

- Adam Clayton is an ambassador for Walk In My Shoes, an Irish charity raising awareness and understanding of mental health issues.

- The Edge is an ambassador for the Mencap Center, a Northern Irish charity helping people with learning disabilities.

3. Helping to Attract Google to Dublin

Bono (a close friend to Sheryl Sandberg) played a key role in Google setting up in Dublin, instead of Switzerland. Google now employs 5,000 people in Dublin at its European HQ, having established a base there in 2003.

4. Helping to Attract Facebook to Dublin

As with Google, Bono played a behind-the-scenes role in attracting Facebook to Dublin’s docklands in 2008. A Facebook executive confirmed this by stating that:

“Facebook would probably have been in Switzerland instead of Dublin if it hadn’t have been for the intervention of the pop star.”

5. Bono’s Work With ONE & RED

ONE is a campaign that Bono and other activists co-founded. The campaign’s aim is to fight extreme poverty and preventable diseases. In order to achieve this goal, Bono has personally met with heads of state and lobbied governments to pass legislation. Grassroots efforts and ONE’s lobbying for legislation have saved millions of lives over the last 10 years through newly funded government policies. Bono also co-founded RED, an organization that raises awareness and funds to help fight the AIDS crisis. RED has raised $600 million to date, which primarily goes toward AIDS treatment and prevention in Africa.

6. Disaster Relief Concerts

Throughout U2’s existence, it has played numerous concerts and events to raise money for various disaster relief benefits. In 1984, Bono and U2 bassist Adam Clayton performed at Band Aid, and in 1985, U2 performed at Live Aid. Both events raised money for famine relief in Ethiopia. The next year, in 1986, the band participated in A Conspiracy of Hope tour on behalf of Amnesty International, an organization that focuses on protecting human rights around the world. That same year, it also performed for Self Aid, which helped the homeless in Ireland. On the 20th anniversary of Live Aid, U2 played the Live 8 concert in London. This concert supported the Make Poverty History campaign.

7. Promoting Peace in Northern Ireland

U2’s has played a significant part in the peace process. Most famously, a few days before the 1998 referendum on the Good Friday agreement, U2 introduced David Trimble and John Hume on stage at a special concert in Belfast in front of 2,000 Northern Irish schoolchildren, leading to a famous handshake.

8. Involved with, and Performing at the Special Olympics Opening Ceremony in Dublin, 2003

In June 2003, Ireland became the first country to host the Special Olympics outside of the United States. The driving force behind the Special Olympics was Eunice Shriver, Bono’s “friend and mentor”. 

9. Attracting Tourists to Ireland

Dublin is a Mecca for U2 fans, with a large portion of the audience consisting of fans from all over the world. This has a giant positive impact on the local economy. Dublin Tourism boss Frank McGee explained: “A U2 home concert is the equivalent of Ireland winning the Grand Slam five times in the one season at home…Over 250,000 will attend the concerts, all spending money on food, drink and accommodation. If only we could have one every year.”

U2 fans visit all year round, to visit the U2 studio, to take photos of hearing aid shop where Bono’s name comes from and to experience the city that U2 describe in their songs. They also act as Ambassadors for Bórd Fáilte.

10. Helping to Attract Airbnb to Dublin

Bono met with Airbnb at an IDA Ireland event at Davos in January 2014 to sell Dublin as a great place to locate an international headquarters. In April 2014, Airbnb announced it would greatly increase its presence in Dublin, leading to the opening of its international HQ near to U2’s recording studios on Hannover Quay in 2016. Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky confirmed that Bono played a key role.

11. Supporting Other Irish Musicians

U2 continue to support other Irish music acts. Having the opportunity to open for U2 on a world tour has been a big opportunity for acts such as Snow Patrol, Ash, The Script, The Corrs, The Thrills, The Pogues, Dara, Relish, JJ72, The Walls, The Sultans of Ping, and An Emotional Fish. Bono has also performed several times with acts such as Glen Hansard, Damien Rice and Imelda May. U2 also recorded an Aslan song for Aslan’s lead singer Christy Dignam, as he battled with cancer.

12. Welcoming Visitors to Ireland

Some recipients of a welcome card and crate of Guinness from U2 include Amy Schumer, Nile Rodgers, Kodaline and Slash (though Guinness might not have been the best gift for him!). The band also welcomed fans to Dublin in 2015 by sending over free hot chocolates from a nearby Starbucks to those who had been queuing all night in the cold.

13. Supporting Irish Sporting Heroes

Bono was one of the organizers of a testimonial dinner in honour of Irish rugby captain Brian O’Driscoll upon his retirement. Bono also gave a glowing tribute to Ireland’s soccer captain and all-time leading goalscorer, Robbie Keane.

14. Acting as Ambassadors for IDA Ireland

Bono asked IDA Ireland to consider him as a staff member, so that he can further help the organisation attract foreign direct investment for Ireland. They acceded to his request.

15. Intervening to Ensure Glen Hansard‘s Oscar Nomination Was Secure

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova’s performance and victory at the Academy Awards was one of the Oscars highlights in 2008, marking an amazing year for a small Irish film that cost just $180,000 to make. However, soon after the film was nominated, it was almost disqualified on a technicality. Glen revealed that Bono intervened by writing to the Academy.

16. Celebrating Marriage Equality in Ireland

In 2015, Ireland became the first country to legalise gay marriage by popular vote. U2 supported the YES vote before the referendum and celebrated it from the stage in Arizona the day after, performing Pride (In the Name of Love).

17. Supporting the Justice for the Forgotten Group

Each night their 2015 Innocence and Experience tour included a tribute to the victims of the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings. 

18. Elevating the Irish Music Industry

As Ireland’s most famous and successful group, U2 have helped grow an Irish music industry and attract international acts to Ireland. Van Morrison describes U2’s impact on building the Irish music industry: “I think Paul McGuinness and U2 created the Irish music industry. It certainly wasn’t there before that.”

In light of all of the above, I really don’t care if he has an ego, or if he comes across as a ‘pompous twat’ or if U2's music is sometimes questionable (subjective). It’s all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion. Credit where credit is due and good luck to him

somewhere

But what has he ever done for us

"My apologies, I should have explained my own 'why' before asking (not demanding) for others to explain their positions.

I had to do a bit of Googling to get the figures, but here is a synopsis of what Bono and U2 have done for Ireland and internationally:

U2 is the primary source of funding for Music Generation, Ireland’s National Music Education Programme, which transforms the lives of children and young people through access to high quality, subsidised performance music education. U2 has so far donated €7 million representing 64% of all funding received.

- One in Four

- Concern and Goal

- Adam Clayton is an ambassador for Walk In My Shoes, an Irish charity raising awareness and understanding of mental health issues.

- The Edge is an ambassador for the Mencap Center, a Northern Irish charity helping people with learning disabilities.

Bono (a close friend to Sheryl Sandberg) played a key role in Google setting up in Dublin, instead of Switzerland. Google now employs 5,000 people in Dublin at its European HQ, having established a base there in 2003.

As with Google, Bono played a behind-the-scenes role in attracting Facebook to Dublin’s docklands in 2008. A Facebook executive confirmed this by stating that:

“Facebook would probably have been in Switzerland instead of Dublin if it hadn’t have been for the intervention of the pop star.”

ONE is a campaign that Bono and other activists co-founded. The campaign’s aim is to fight extreme poverty and preventable diseases. In order to achieve this goal, Bono has personally met with heads of state and lobbied governments to pass legislation. Grassroots efforts and ONE’s lobbying for legislation have saved millions of lives over the last 10 years through newly funded government policies. Bono also co-founded RED, an organization that raises awareness and funds to help fight the AIDS crisis. RED has raised $600 million to date, which primarily goes toward AIDS treatment and prevention in Africa.

Throughout U2’s existence, it has played numerous concerts and events to raise money for various disaster relief benefits. In 1984, Bono and U2 bassist Adam Clayton performed at Band Aid, and in 1985, U2 performed at Live Aid. Both events raised money for famine relief in Ethiopia. The next year, in 1986, the band participated in A Conspiracy of Hope tour on behalf of Amnesty International, an organization that focuses on protecting human rights around the world. That same year, it also performed for Self Aid, which helped the homeless in Ireland. On the 20th anniversary of Live Aid, U2 played the Live 8 concert in London. This concert supported the Make Poverty History campaign.

U2’s has played a significant part in the peace process. Most famously, a few days before the 1998 referendum on the Good Friday agreement, U2 introduced David Trimble and John Hume on stage at a special concert in Belfast in front of 2,000 Northern Irish schoolchildren, leading to a famous handshake.

8. Involved with, and Performing at the Special Olympics Opening Ceremony in Dublin, 2003

In June 2003, Ireland became the first country to host the Special Olympics outside of the United States. The driving force behind the Special Olympics was Eunice Shriver, Bono’s “friend and mentor”. 

Dublin is a Mecca for U2 fans, with a large portion of the audience consisting of fans from all over the world. This has a giant positive impact on the local economy. Dublin Tourism boss Frank McGee explained: “A U2 home concert is the equivalent of Ireland winning the Grand Slam five times in the one season at home…Over 250,000 will attend the concerts, all spending money on food, drink and accommodation. If only we could have one every year.”

U2 fans visit all year round, to visit the U2 studio, to take photos of hearing aid shop where Bono’s name comes from and to experience the city that U2 describe in their songs. They also act as Ambassadors for Bórd Fáilte.

Bono met with Airbnb at an IDA Ireland event at Davos in January 2014 to sell Dublin as a great place to locate an international headquarters. In April 2014, Airbnb announced it would greatly increase its presence in Dublin, leading to the opening of its international HQ near to U2’s recording studios on Hannover Quay in 2016. Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky confirmed that Bono played a key role.

U2 continue to support other Irish music acts. Having the opportunity to open for U2 on a world tour has been a big opportunity for acts such as Snow Patrol, Ash, The Script, The Corrs, The Thrills, The Pogues, Dara, Relish, JJ72, The Walls, The Sultans of Ping, and An Emotional Fish. Bono has also performed several times with acts such as Glen Hansard, Damien Rice and Imelda May. U2 also recorded an Aslan song for Aslan’s lead singer Christy Dignam, as he battled with cancer.

Some recipients of a welcome card and crate of Guinness from U2 include Amy Schumer, Nile Rodgers, Kodaline and Slash (though Guinness might not have been the best gift for him!). The band also welcomed fans to Dublin in 2015 by sending over free hot chocolates from a nearby Starbucks to those who had been queuing all night in the cold.

Bono was one of the organizers of a testimonial dinner in honour of Irish rugby captain Brian O’Driscoll upon his retirement. Bono also gave a glowing tribute to Ireland’s soccer captain and all-time leading goalscorer, Robbie Keane.

Bono asked IDA Ireland to consider him as a staff member, so that he can further help the organisation attract foreign direct investment for Ireland. They acceded to his request.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova’s performance and victory at the Academy Awards was one of the Oscars highlights in 2008, marking an amazing year for a small Irish film that cost just $180,000 to make. However, soon after the film was nominated, it was almost disqualified on a technicality. Glen revealed that Bono intervened by writing to the Academy.

In 2015, Ireland became the first country to legalise gay marriage by popular vote. U2 supported the YES vote before the referendum and celebrated it from the stage in Arizona the day after, performing Pride (In the Name of Love).

Each night their 2015 Innocence and Experience tour included a tribute to the victims of the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings. 

As Ireland’s most famous and successful group, U2 have helped grow an Irish music industry and attract international acts to Ireland. Van Morrison describes U2’s impact on building the Irish music industry: “I think Paul McGuinness and U2 created the Irish music industry. It certainly wasn’t there before that.”

In light of all of the above, I really don’t care if he has an ego, or if he comes across as a ‘pompous twat’ or if U2's music is sometimes questionable (subjective). It’s all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion. Credit where credit is due and good luck to him "

Nice copy and paste job You should have just posted the link

"My apologies, I should have explained my own 'why' before asking (not demanding) for others to explain their positions.

- One in Four

- Concern and Goal

In light of all of the above, I really don’t care if he has an ego, or if he comes across as a ‘pompous twat’ or if U2's music is sometimes questionable (subjective). It’s all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion. Credit where credit is due and good luck to him "

Maybe you should go work for them then seeing as you do such good PR. Or you could set up a girl page

My opinion is that: my opinion and you surely don’t expect mine to change because you aren’t going to change your own so why therefore do you expect people to scoff at mine and adore yours.

I’ve given my meaning and did what you asked. If you want to get into it about who you scoffed at and reproached, it was Kaizer. And please go back to your original post which clearly shows no mention of expecting evidence for our opinion.

You only introduced that when you took umbrage with Kaizers less than satisfactory agreeing with your fan girl OP. And you were totally passive aggressive. It’s really unappealing. People may not like my approach but I at least in direct

And as for all the different peoples opinions you apparently were asking in your OP, it’s clear you don’t give a fuck about any of them that don’t agree so the whole premise of your post was utter bullshit.

It’s clear that all you wanted to do was come in and say how much you loved them and the whole asking for opinions was to not look as “hey I love U2 and I just want to say it”

It’s difficult to see anywhere you took onboard peoples genuine criticisms of why the dislike them and Bono and therefore why the fuck do you honestly expect people to come around to your way of thinking

All these are opinions and honestly I couldn’t give a shite what stuff you come up with. My opinion won’t change. He’s a smug twat along with that Rat who used to Boom in Town

All those things you show he has done. Honestly how hard is it do do that from a guy who can pay people do do it all.

Have you acknowledged the post wheee he dismantled companies and peoples lives for pure profit. This smokescreen of him helping the poor is such cock

And don’t even fucking go there with the peace process stuff. It’s entirely demeaning and belittling to people who suffers through. Such virtue signalling poison

I’m done with this. Good to OP and I don’t Eve know know why in engaging with someone who used to engage with me privately a lot only to have blocked me some weeks back with no mention given

I’m a bit more mature than that myself my direct and crude? Yes. More mature and upfront? Yea

G’luck

- One in Four

- Concern and Goal

In light of all of the above, I really don’t care if he has an ego, or if he comes across as a ‘pompous twat’ or if U2's music is sometimes questionable (subjective). It’s all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion. Credit where credit is due and good luck to him

Nice copy and paste job You should have just posted the link "

Hahah brilliant

Limerick

"

Nice copy and paste job You should have just posted the link "

I actually spent an hour putting that together

A simple status update of “I love U2 and Bono’s ball bag and don’t give a fuck what anyone else thinks” would’ve saved us all the grief.

But maybe that would be cringe

"

I actually spent an hour putting that together "

Oh the fan girling is real. Exciting times it must be haha

"

Yet I found it almost word for word after a 2 second Google...

"

Yet I found it almost word for word after a 2 second Google..."

Imagine spending an hour at that then ... oh dear

That’s even more embarrassing haha

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/11/the-hypocrisy-of-bono-and-his-one-charity/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/opinion/bonos-one-charity-scandal-shows-whole-model-aid-must-change-133947/amp

In the interest of balance before we rush to canonise him

I for what it is worth like the band. Dynamic and interesting music spanning over 40 years.

The limited interactions I had on a face to face level once upon a lifetime with the individual I question and the organisation behind the band, were all very positive.

Guess the opinions are all valid, very engaging. to read it all and I’ll just keep listening to the music.

I would predict windmill lane will become an even more enshrined U2 landmark in the future and Bono will likely be held in high regard when he casts aside the shackles of his mortal coil....

The Edge & Paul McGuinness in my opinion are the real brains behind the band. Bono is the front man, knows how to generate sales.

And if we could get _ofusplus and Large Man to shake hands on stage.... well that would trump those other fella from the late 90’s...

donegal

"I for what it is worth like the band. Dynamic and interesting music spanning over 40 years.

The limited interactions I had on a face to face level once upon a lifetime with the individual I question and the organisation behind the band, were all very positive.

Guess the opinions are all valid, very engaging. to read it all and I’ll just keep listening to the music.

I would predict windmill lane will become an even more enshrined U2 landmark in the future and Bono will likely be held in high regard when he casts aside the shackles of his mortal coil....

The Edge & Paul McGuinness in my opinion are the real brains behind the band. Bono is the front man, knows how to generate sales.

And if we could get _ofusplus and Large Man to shake hands on stage.... well that would trump those other fella from the late 90’s... "

donegal

Just in time for good Friday

Belfast

As someone who very much lived through the troubles I wasn't offended in the slightest by the whole Hume/Trimble thing . I took it for exactly what it was. A PR stunt.

Maybe it's just me but I don't place any artist or celebrity on a pedestal but at the same time I don't dwell on their indiscretions either because they don't affect me directly.

I gave an opinion above on Van Morrison which is based on his actions as a human being and has no bearing whatsoever on his talent or lack of.

Being an amazing songwriter, musician or actor doesn't excuse being a prick.

Shiver me timbers

Kaizer ain't touching this with a bargepole!

*exit stage left

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

"

Ya did in your hole, it was written by a guy called Murphy in 2016

"Shiver me timbers

*exit stage left "

But its your fault apparently

I'm not a Fan of Bono...he's an arrogant, stuck up fker

"Shiver me timbers

*exit stage left

But its your fault apparently "

Did you not know EVERYYHING is Kaizer's fault!

"

Ya did in your hole, it was written by a guy called Murphy in 2016"

you'd think they'd have at least given a nod to poor Emmett

Hello hello

somewhere

"Hello hello "

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

This could be a whole new thread....a Bono lyric that applies to Fab

Belfast

"Hello hello

This could be a whole new thread....a Bono lyric that applies to Fab "

Red flag Day or The Little things that give you away?

"Hello hello

This could be a whole new thread....a Bono lyric that applies to Fab "

Start one. What can go wrong

somewhere

"Hello hello

This could be a whole new thread....a Bono lyric that applies to Fab