FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Halloween memories

Halloween memories

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *og-Man OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

We never said trick or trick for a start.

We always said help the Halloween party as we stood there in our black plastic bin liners and plastic mask

No nut allergies in those days...monkey nuts and Brazil nuts handed out by everyone

Good days

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

We didn't go around neighbours doors at all. I was probably in my late teens at least before I saw that happen. The only things we ever did at Halloween were dunk for apples and coins. I didn't see a firework until I was 18 or 19 and we only had sparklers.

That's probably why I've never been to a fancy dress party or dressed in costume. It just wasn't a thing growing up.

By *indenMan  over a year ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

Growing up in the countryside we never really did the whole trick or treat thing, no one was going to walk miles around the place to get to a few other houses, and even if we did we’d probably have been given a kick in the arse and told to go home…..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh how i remember those days the black bag and the pound shop masks and happy out. How things have changed, we used get mostly fruit and nuts i would have been on a high when i got some sweets or chocolate in the bags. Nowadays it's a splash out and has become very American style which is ok i suppose for the families but also extra pressures on families that are struggling, seeing as Xmas is so close aswell. I also remember the simplicity if the dish with apple's and a few pound coins or we got blindfolded with the the hanging apples.

By *everFullyDressedCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

A very Irish cliche but there was always bacon, mashed potato/champ and curly kale on Halloween! Think might be actually doing something similar tonight!

And there was always a dry tasteless barn brack (complete with a ring obviously!) which needed smothered in butter before you could even begin to consider eating it !! Unless on the rare occasion you got one from Superquinn then you thought you were the cock of the walk!!

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

Spending days cutting up an old white sheet and soaking it in tea so ye looked like a mummy...

Black bin bag witch costume with a cheap ass mask...

Killing each other for the gold ring in the bracket...

Bobbin for apples and coins, ah the good aul days

By *humper22Woman  over a year ago

waterford

Have never ever done anything on Halloween as a child or even now. Have never done fancy dress either.

Now as an adult I do get sweets in for anyone e that knocks the door but lucky to get one or two so end up giving the sweets to people I know that have kids

"Spending days cutting up an old white sheet and soaking it in tea so ye looked like a mummy...

Bobbin for apples and coins, ah the good aul days "

Poppin for apples and coins, great practice for skills used in later life

somewhere

"Spending days cutting up an old white sheet and soaking it in tea so ye looked like a mummy...

Bobbin for apples and coins, ah the good aul days "

Never heard of the soaking in tea bit before

Poppin for apples and coins, great practice for skills used in later life "

If id only known then id have practiced harder

Never heard of the soaking in tea bit before "

Gives material an old vintage look...

somewhere

Have bonfires gone completely...in our teens all the different areas had huge bonfires helped by the fact Dublin hasca lot of industrial estates that used to store pallets outside

We'd spend days dragging them to the local field,people would throw out old tables,sofas,anything that would burn and the tire depots would get rid of every old tyre they had sitting in their little workshops

The pollution was immense....thick black smoke all over the skyline of Dublin followed by a rocket display that looked like the start of the Gulf War

I fondly remember the dish of water,with the apple submerged and you trying to bite it with your hands behind your back.Also the apple suspended on a length of twine from the ceiling.Money was placed in the apple on each occasion and the winner got the money

By *azzuMan  over a year ago

belfast

Being a vampire with a black bin bag, a pair of fangs, spiked up hair, your white school shirt & a bit of face paint!

My parents always had the fireworks so a food few aunts & uncles, cousins and kids from our street would be in our house and back garden.

Always loved the Catherine wheel!

And we got away with trick or treat at some doors but alot made you sing the whole Halloween song

Eating until you were almost sick great memories!

Any apples or nuts was our chant

A great day as a kid, collecting wood for a bonfire, colcannon with an egg on top with money hidden in it, a black bag and a cheap mask, barn brack...

Bobbing for apples ..

Great memories!!!

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Barn bracket with the ring

Bobbing for apples

Monkey nuts

And the bonfire,we used collect for that for ages before

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"Have bonfires gone completely...in our teens all the different areas had huge bonfires helped by the fact Dublin hasca lot of industrial estates that used to store pallets outside

We'd spend days dragging them to the local field,people would throw out old tables,sofas,anything that would burn and the tire depots would get rid of every old tyre they had sitting in their little workshops

The pollution was immense....thick black smoke all over the skyline of Dublin followed by a rocket display that looked like the start of the Gulf War"

Enough bonfire issues up here without adding Halloween into the mix. Local councillors had to take over Halloween bonfire duties about 10 years ago because of damage being done to property and stuff being stolen as well as the number of tyres being used.

That only lasted a couple of years because of safety issues and the problem of finding a location well away from residents. There hasn't been one since.

[Removed by poster at 31/10/21 10:50:53]

somewhere

Just wondering what it's like outside Ireland.....is it celebrated

By *ka ..Agent k ..Man  over a year ago

.Ireland..

"Just wondering what it's like outside Ireland.....is it celebrated "

Remember being in Belgium one Halloween and it's business as par usual out there,

Xmas there is usually a one day event no hipe running up to it like here.

By *ollypop9Woman  over a year ago

wouldn't you like to know

"Just wondering what it's like outside Ireland.....is it celebrated "

I only knew Halloween from tv shows, when I was growing up in Germany.

I came to Ireland in the late 90's and they had started Halloween themed parties in Nightclubs. After living here a couple of years I was told by friends over there, that now they have the whole thing, including trick or treating.

When I was wee there was no dressing up just, as we called them then, false faces. There was a small bonfire on the green opposite our house and our chant as we went round the doors was "Anything for Halloween". We got nuts and apples - getting a Brazil nut was the best thing ever!

We bobbed for apples and coins, and tried to get a bite from an apple hung on a string from a door frame. The highlight was always the apple tart and hoping you'd get the slice with the coin in

somewhere

The string on the door frame....I was trying to remember where it went

Apple tart..very posh...we had barn brack and the stupid ring in the greaseproof paper

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Trying to carve anf hollow out a turnip.....

"Trying to carve anf hollow out a turnip....."

Lmfao

Strangely it was always the smell of the town that time of year when I think of Halloween. The sugar campaign as it was called was in full swing that time of year and the process from the sugar factory would release a smell all over town. Would try carving out sugar beet that would spill from the trailers heading that way as well.

Long before streaming services and d'internet the day if Halloween specials and movies on TV.

Growing up in the country all the kids in our area went trick or treating together then back to one of our houses for a party.

Always loved Halloween

» Add a new message to this topic