FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Put off

Put off

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ondalinger OP   Man  over a year ago

City center

Hey all

Ive noticed that a lot of people are put off by the fact im in recovery (5years sober)

I kinda get it. Generally at meets, especially first time meets a drink or two would be had.

But just letting people know, its ok, i can be around alcohol and not be tempted, nor should you feel awkward if you wanna indulge. Happy fabbing

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I suspect that's more to do with their own requirement to have drink before meeting rather than prejudice against those in recovery... but either way the effect is the same for you and that sucks.

By *mokey and the bandit 1Couple  over a year ago

Dublin

Why are you telling them you are in recovery?

If you are ok being around drink/bars then just say you're not having a drink.

By *unlinguyMan  over a year ago

South Dublin

"Why are you telling them you are in recovery?

If you are ok being around drink/bars then just say you're not having a drink."

This right here...

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

If you are ok being around drink/bars then just say you're not having a drink.

This right here... "

Exactly this...no one's business if you don't drink...just have a coffee

By *affa31Woman  over a year ago

Galway

I’ve never had a drink on a first social and very very rarely at a meet. I’d be more concerned about meeting someone who required a drink at the meet rather than someone in recovery.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I mean, if you hadn’t had sex in 5 years I’d maybe understand…..

How Irish eh?

By *lameBoyMan  over a year ago

Enfield & Dublin

"Hey all

Ive noticed that a lot of people are put off by the fact im in recovery (5years sober)

I kinda get it. Generally at meets, especially first time meets a drink or two would be had.

But just letting people know, its ok, i can be around alcohol and not be tempted, nor should you feel awkward if you wanna indulge. Happy fabbing"

Fab aside OP, congratulations and fair play to you for your 5 years sober. Well done. Well done for opening up and showing that it is possible to quit.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think that if I were in your situation I'd just say I don't drink. This is true for you and I imagine it's more common than people realise.

If they question you on why you don't drink, which they shouldn't, well, that's a different story.

City center

If you are ok being around drink/bars then just say you're not having a drink."

i just dont drink doesn't cut ot with most. Also why would i not say im in recovery? Im not proud of my drinking, but im very proud of being sober 5 years. Why would i hide this?

City center

"Hey all

But just letting people know, its ok, i can be around alcohol and not be tempted, nor should you feel awkward if you wanna indulge. Happy fabbing

Fab aside OP, congratulations and fair play to you for your 5 years sober. Well done. Well done for opening up and showing that it is possible to quit. "

thank you

By *andomCaptainMan  over a year ago

Roscommon

If you are ok being around drink/bars then just say you're not having a drink.i just dont drink doesn't cut ot with most. Also why would i not say im in recovery? Im not proud of my drinking, but im very proud of being sober 5 years. Why would i hide this?"

Exactly... good on you mate. Most people on here appreciate honesty. And those who feel the need to question it or are put off are most lightly not worth waisting your time with anyway.

By *olourpurpleMan  over a year ago

Waterford

If you are ok being around drink/bars then just say you're not having a drink.i just dont drink doesn't cut ot with most. Also why would i not say im in recovery? Im not proud of my drinking, but im very proud of being sober 5 years. Why would i hide this?"

It’s not that you hide it. It’s just one of those things that’s not someone else’s business really.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Well done on your 5 years. You should be proud but I don't understand why you say it doesn't cut it with most people?

I've never taken a drink ever and I tell people that. If they have a problem with it then it's their problem and not mine.

» Add a new message to this topic