FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > The Wire TV Series

The Wire TV Series

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now I’m into season three of it, while I’m enjoying it, it’s NOT ‘the greatest series ever’ not by a long shot. I appreciate it was revolutionary for small tv when it came out and set the bar for tv series etc…but the shield was out around the same time and I must say I thought it was much better. I appreciate it’s a shot of a failing system as well as the criminal underbelly etc…

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emper-fudgeMan  over a year ago

Blackrock

Each to thier own, i get when people big up a series alot it can put people off,there is so much going on in the wire that i have watched it 4 times now and i still get something new from it, it was the first show not to dumb things down for the viewer and is quite authentic but also hatd to follow if your not overely into it, was not a fan of the sheild it was entertaining

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The Wire is a masterpiece!

"Now I’m into season three of it, while I’m enjoying it, it’s NOT ‘the greatest series ever’ not by a long shot. I appreciate it was revolutionary for small tv when it came out and set the bar for tv series etc…but the shield was out around the same time and I must say I thought it was much better. I appreciate it’s a shot of a failing system as well as the criminal underbelly etc…"

Wait till you get to Season 4...

By *icklowbiguyMan  over a year ago

Wicklow

It got people hooked as it had so many strong individual characters, I have watched it twice and will do so again during the next lockdown

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

Never seen a single episode

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I've tried several times but didn't get on with it

"The Wire is a masterpiece! "

Amen!

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

The Wire was a masterpiece and still is. The depth and detail on everything was excellent and has often be repeated. The Shield was entertaining and very good in its own right but didn't have the level of depth or detail.

But not everyone wants that level of detail from a TV show either. I'd have both TV shows in separate categories. If someone wanted to get lost in a TV is recommend the wire, if someone wanted to be entertained for an hour ever evening I'd recommend The Shield.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Whats the Shield on....looking for a new box set

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I honestly thing Gomorrah is the best thing to ever grace the small TV, now there is a layered show with strong characters, social dynamics etc

By *eeingWhatsHere21Man  over a year ago

Northside

I know some people who didn't like it and to each their own. But for me it's definitely worthy of being watched and rewatched as it's a multi-layered accurate depiction of a functional and integral institution being misused and misappropriated which in turn creates a spiraling feedback loop whose knock on effects cripple the communities it knowingly disenfranchises.

In my mind the show is exceptionally well shot and is incredibly well written which I think is sometimes missed at first due to the dialect and the viewers unfamiliarity of the terminology that's used across the entire show, which by the time you're familiar with it - the shows over!

But some of the juxtapositions in the show between characters that are leading the war on drugs and those downwind of it really reflects the compromising and neglectful position it puts every and all characters in. Regardless of their institution or their practices, they're still caught in it's crossfire.

Interestingly the book "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men" was part of the inspiration for the writing of The Wire. In this book a journalist for the New York Times stayed with farmers in rural America in the 1930s and came face to face with the harshness these families faced. He witnessed how their lives were made so much more of a struggle due to neglect from government policies/actions that failed to adapt to the reality of the situation they endured.

This inevitably led to their detriment and caused a wide variety of misery and suffering, and all the while they were being disenfranchised and destabilized by groups that could've and should've had their best interests at heart. Eerily similar to the knock on effect caused by the war on drugs.

By *on Draper2.0Man  over a year ago

Maynooth

"Mother fucker!"

By *umpkinnMan  over a year ago

Dublin

The Wire, Breaking Bad, Ozark and True Detective season 1

The best shows ever.

By *haggy_bearMan  over a year ago

Sligo

""Mother fucker!""

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit" Senator Clay Davis

By *emper-fudgeMan  over a year ago

Blackrock

If you are a fan of the wire , i would reccomend generation kill, made by the same people and it is by far the most accurate portrayl of the military/war ever put on scren

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

I met McNulty in Carlow once. He lives in Ireland...in Limerick.

"Now I’m into season three of it, while I’m enjoying it, it’s NOT ‘the greatest series ever’ not by a long shot. I appreciate it was revolutionary for small tv when it came out and set the bar for tv series etc…but the shield was out around the same time and I must say I thought it was much better. I appreciate it’s a shot of a failing system as well as the criminal underbelly etc…

Wait till you get to Season 4..."

Yes! Season 4 breaks my heart, I usually don’t both with Season 5, though

The Shield does kick ass too

The drinking scenes with McNulty and Bunk are hilarious. Bunk plays a fantastic tipsy person, his manerisms and facial expressions crack me up

By *organ DeanWoman  over a year ago

Belfast

My ex loved it and he was a twat and talked about it so much that I didn't need to watch it for myself

I did like The Shield but the later seasons got a bit boring. The yellow pages scene is my fav

somewhere

Tried to find the shield last night briefly...is it on any streaming sites

By *elfastGuy34Man  over a year ago

belfast

"My ex loved it and he was a twat and talked about it so much that I didn't need to watch it for myself

I did like The Shield but the later seasons got a bit boring. The yellow pages scene is my fav "

I love the yellow pages scene too.

The wire was ground breaking at the time - I'd advise you to stick with it, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos and The Shield are all amazing series.

By *organ DeanWoman  over a year ago

Belfast

"My ex loved it and he was a twat and talked about it so much that I didn't need to watch it for myself

I did like The Shield but the later seasons got a bit boring. The yellow pages scene is my fav

I love the yellow pages scene too.

The wire was ground breaking at the time - I'd advise you to stick with it, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos and The Shield are all amazing series."

I got to ep 2 of Breaking Bad I think and gave up on it. If I watch the Wire and its rubbish imma come find you with a yellow pages

Bog I just found it on IMDb tv, free but with ads and no fast forward. It is on Cinema app too if you've got it or can download it

somewhere

Thanks Morgan

By *on Draper2.0Man  over a year ago

Maynooth

One thing we can all be grateful to the Wire for is that its the show that brought Idris Elba to the attention of the world. I can't think of a celebrity I would more rather go for a pint with.

By *efinitely SteveMan  over a year ago

Laytown near Dublin

"The Wire is a masterpiece! "

This

Laytown near Dublin

The Wire as great as it was changed Television forever. It was more than the sum of its parts.

Every so often a TV show will come along that's so good that all those that come after are bound to hold it as their new benchmark.

So a classic show is not just about the show itself its also about the effect it has on the industry and society in General.

I didn't watch either of them abd don't watch alot if TV full stop. I tend to watch documentaries on crime alot and just finished the second lot of "To hot to handle".

I enjoy it because it is showing the importance of chemistry in a relationship and also it brings the men and women on separate self discovery journeys aswell through therapies, in the recent one there was one player brought on a one to one therapy because he couldn't connect to himself emotionally.

Laytown near Dublin

The Wire and The Sopranos were TV shows that broke the mold in how a TV could be made. Mainly before then TV shows used to wrap up each episode in a nice little bundle and everything was fine in their world again until next week. Those shows though changed that by telling 'progressive stories" throughout the series and leaving a cliff hanger all heading to a crescendo. Anyone could be killed off, no one was safe. People watched in their millions and made a night of it because unless you videotaped it there was no Tivo or reply TV.

Ever since then TV has just gotten better and better.

Laytown near Dublin

Charlie Brooker - Creator of The Black Mirror series,

"the what you say"?

The creator Black Mirror.

"ooo Black Mirror, never heard of it, is it any good"?

Yes, it's one of the best dystopian series ever made and its based around a modern premise while holding a mirror up to our society.

"and he wrote it? But a black mirror would be pointless, you couldn't see anything"

Well it's a TV series and not an actual mirror and that's what it's called.

"never heard of him, mustn't be any good"

He's married to Konnie Huq

"Oh I know her, isn't she the dark skinned pixie that presents the telly and did blue Peter"

Yes Nan.

"still never heard or it. Is she in it? So that why he called it that."

No Nan

Sorry about that, here's the link where Charlie Brooker explains why the wire is the best TV show ever made

https://youtu.be/ZLcquuO7sxg

By *urves and MischiefWoman  over a year ago

Northerner

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

It is still up there for me as one of the best.

By *urves and MischiefWoman  over a year ago

Northerner

[Removed by poster at 25/01/22 13:36:20]

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Everyone goes on about Omar...

While hes a good character, hes not a patch on Marlo.

What an evil driven bstard he was.

Terrifying.

"Everyone goes on about Omar...

While hes a good character, hes not a patch on Marlo.

What an evil driven bstard he was.

Terrifying."

Neither of them are a patch on Snoop!

By *igglebutt and FoamyCouple  over a year ago

Kildare, Cork

I found season 3 a bit slow compared to the previous ones but season 4 makes up for it and some

Laytown near Dublin

I think they constructed each series so beautifully to peak at the end that the beginning of the subsequent series, no matter which one seemed weak

Incredible Craftmanship all around and still holds up to this day

» Add a new message to this topic