FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Tipping hairdresser

Tipping hairdresser

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do people still do it ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *XlalaXXWoman  over a year ago

tipperary

When I was a hairdresser in a former life our tips helped us survive cos the pay was so crap

I always tip

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

It's one of those professions where they really *SHOULD* be paid sufficiently by the business owner, because there is plenty of money taken into the till... so I just don't understand why they don't get good enough wages already. I don't expect my staff to require tips to be able to earn a living.

By *ewrideMan  over a year ago

KK

Tipping is one of many excuses used to justify bad wages.

I hate it as a custom and hope we never embrace it.

By *oxyvixen99Woman  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

I do tip my hairdresser and have done for years, it's not expected at all. I also would take buns or cake and take away coffees to her and the girls.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

My haircut costs €17 and I leave a twenty

In fairness its a good services and you don't really notice €3 every month.

I also tip serving staff in a restaurant if I'm eating out after checking to see where the cash goes that I tip....won't eat in a restaurant that uses tips to make up basic wages like The Ivy in Dublin

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

There's a hairdresser on fab that I'd be more than happy to tip

Used to regularly tip but rarely carry cash now so it’s awkward

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

[Removed by poster at 28/04/22 08:23:32]

By *iscuits8Man  over a year ago

Meath/Dublin/Birmingham

I shaved my own bonce during lockdowns... first time went ok, second was a total Stevie Wonder job.

The barbers always got tipped but I tip a little more now

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

Hairdresser or barber? I get a no 1 at this time of year, it can cost from €6 to €15 depending on where i go. I sometimes tip. I just realised, all the barbers i go to are one man businesses, so no doubt he gets the tip.

By *ouble Trouble 1000Couple  over a year ago

ireland

Always

By *rank7737Man  over a year ago

My haircut is €15 and always leave €5 tip and not sure if I'm being cheap with only the 5er tip?

By *axlecool03Man  over a year ago

Dublin

always.. they do a great job.. and tips dont hurt but can mean a lot for them...

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Only at Christmas. Nobody tips me for doing my job and my barber is earning much more than I am.

Yeah my barber washes my hair before and after the cut and to be fair €15 is good value for money so i don't mind paying the tip on top.

By *oxyvixen99Woman  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

"Only at Christmas. Nobody tips me for doing my job and my barber is earning much more than I am. "
bah humbug

How much would you guys tip in a restaurant if you had good service? As i spend a bit of time in the states each summer and it's always 15% tip over there so ive nearly started doing that here at home also.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I don't go to a hairdresser I haven't done in a few years now.

Belfast

"How much would you guys tip in a restaurant if you had good service? As i spend a bit of time in the states each summer and it's always 15% tip over there so ive nearly started doing that here at home also."

Rarely more than 10% but it depends on the service and the cost of the meal. The difference with tipping in hospitality is that the staff are all employees whereas my barber and his partner own the business and are both clearing between £800 and £900 per week after tax and overheads. I earn half that so don't have the disposable income to tip them 6 times a year.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My last trip to the hairdresser 8 weeks ago cost me £165. I actually considered asking them to have a whipround for me...

By *NawtyCplCouple  over a year ago

Around and about

Do you tip if your hairdresser is also the business owner? I go to a small place only one lady and she owns the business.

somewhere

"My last trip to the hairdresser 8 weeks ago cost me £165. I actually considered asking them to have a whipround for me...

"

I did compliment you on your new hairstyle....was well worth it

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"My last trip to the hairdresser 8 weeks ago cost me £165. I actually considered asking them to have a whipround for me...

"

Laura cuts mine herself. I feel it offsets the bonkers money she spends getting her hair done

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

"Do you tip if your hairdresser is also the business owner? I go to a small place only one lady and she owns the business. "

I don't tip my hairdresser - he's the owner of the salon I go to, charges €45 for a wash, cut and dry which takes nearly an hour. I've often felt like walking out during the blow-dry it takes so long, should probably tell him not to bother!

If it was someone self employed and no employees, I'd be more likely to tip but then that would also depend on whether they are working from home or renting premises with rates etc...

I do tip my son's barber - spending 40 minutes cutting my son's hair and charging €9 - I'd feel rotten not tipping - compare the charge for my haircut in a well established salon as opposed to the local barber...mind you, again I believe that spending 40 minutes on a boy's hair is excessive. A barber who isn't washing and blow-drying should be able to cut shortish hair in 20 minutes...

But tipping is always dependant on various factors and circumstances

Laura cuts mine herself. I feel it offsets the bonkers money she spends getting her hair done "

Thankfully E has no hair ??

I did compliment you on your new hairstyle....was well worth it "

You did and thank you! I'm back tomorrow #prayformypurse

By *orndog450Man  over a year ago

dublin

My haircut is €17. Give €20 everytime. Don’t see it every 2-3 weeks. Then at Christmas I give my barber maybe €20. It’s the little things

By *un_guy_69Man  over a year ago

Lim Tipp border

My haircut is 22 euro, reading this that seems steep . But most of the time I leave 25. Its a big place and most of the lads are probably on low wages.

People saying they wouldn't tip if it's the business owner but at the end of the week they are the ones who have to pay the staff and bills and very often have less wages than the staff after the bills are paid and stock paid for.

My partner is self employed and has 2 girls working for her and they get their wage every week regardless of how good or bad a week it has been. She's often come home with less than the dole value after working her ass off for the week long hours and then the stuff outside it like books, washing towels and stuff.

Hairdressers in General don't get the credit they deserve, its some peoples only social escape from everyday hardship!

I ALWAYS give a tip,hair or beauty...it takes a lot of skills to do this kind of jobs,a lot of training and tools, machineries,scissors,aprons etc are not cheap ...I should know,I work in the industry and my cheapest scissor is 82 euro plus 23% VAT plus many other things...never mind putting UP with really nasty , UNREALISTIC clients at times and the ones that do not like soap and water and the list can go on and on and on...plus ongoing courses on different products and procedures,not cheap ,the money I spent training for over 7+ years would be the equivalent of a deposit On a house ....so yes,I Always give a Tip ,salons or restaurants...for those that never had to work in this type of jobs, have no idea how much patience,passion and dedication it takes to be able to do this kind of job ...never mind ,many times no breaks even for toilet or a coffee,standing all day long etc etc...rant over

somewhere

"I ALWAYS give a tip,hair or beauty...it takes a lot of skills to do this kind of jobs,a lot of training and tools, machineries,scissors,aprons etc are not cheap ...I should know,I work in the industry and my cheapest scissor is 82 euro plus 23% VAT plus many other things...never mind putting UP with really nasty , UNREALISTIC clients at times and the ones that do not like soap and water and the list can go on and on and on...plus ongoing courses on different products and procedures,not cheap ,the money I spent training for over 7+ years would be the equivalent of a deposit On a house ....so yes,I Always give a Tip ,salons or restaurants...for those that never had to work in this type of jobs, have no idea how much patience,passion and dedication it takes to be able to do this kind of job ...never mind ,many times no breaks even for toilet or a coffee,standing all day long etc etc...rant over "

My barber has recently introduced booking in for a haircut only via their website

Spoke to him as he cut my hair

He's booked out everyday,his staff get actual time off the system between clients for coffee and lunch breaks and no queues at closing time

They're delighted

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

I cut my own hair during Covid; it wasn't a success

I used to to to a barber shop that purported to be Turkish, but they are actually Romanians.

Basic haircut, eyebrows, ear and nose hair: £9.

I always leave a tenner; that's just over 11% tip.

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

Give her a tip jayus I'd give her the whole 7 inches

No I actually cut my own I dont have much hair I mean

By *oelb46Man  over a year ago

dublin

I like to tip my barber he always seems to do a outstanding job yes it can be expensive at times personally I would spend around 25-30 euros per hair cut with beard also but I always manage to tip not because of a low wage for barbers but because their trade is a art it takes time and practice with a lot of patients also it makes me feel pretty dam good when I look on a mirror and see a fresh clean fade but thats just my two cents on the topic ??

I always leave a few bob as a tip - I’ve been at the same barber nearly 20 years and I appreciate good service.

By *innerboy86Man  over a year ago

on the border

"

ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE STERLING for a haircut!!!! I'd be expecting a happy ended too for that price. Biggest question tho was it worth it expense?

ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE STERLING for a haircut!!!! I'd be expecting a happy ended too for that price. Biggest question tho was it worth it expense?"

Every penny

By *hilaboutMan  over a year ago

kilkenny

Ah they make serious money for very little expenditure barbers especially a trim for €15 is 100% profit ..get any of the colours online for €5 n they charge ladies €80 plus

somewhere

"Ah they make serious money for very little expenditure barbers especially a trim for €15 is 100% profit ..get any of the colours online for €5 n they charge ladies €80 plus "

Back of the envelope stuff there....who pays rent,rates,water ESB,wages,supplies,training,

Meath/Dublin/Birmingham

^ Yep

Insurance costs, marketing fees, accounting fees, shop upkeep... there are loads of other expenses. A real bear of mine when someone just speculates the costs/profits involved in running a business they have zero experience of.

By *ursecretmischiefCouple  over a year ago

The West

"Ah they make serious money for very little expenditure barbers especially a trim for €15 is 100% profit ..get any of the colours online for €5 n they charge ladies €80 plus

Back of the envelope stuff there....who pays rent,rates,water ESB,wages,supplies,training,

"

This is the stuff people just don't see when looking at any business. Add in equipment, maintenance, insurance various income taxes.

A €15 euro haircut is certainly not 100% profit, far from it.

In a 10hr day a single barber needs to cut 20 heads to gross €300 and then pay all the days bills from that, fuck all left!

By *hilaboutMan  over a year ago

kilkenny

Oh we pay those Bill's in all walks of life and dont get tips ..ah I just commenting it's not a bug bearer tbh

By *eepixieWoman  over a year ago

belfast

I never tip my hairdresser as he is loaded lol but I always tip the junior, for washing my hair, making me tea etc. they deserve it more as they’re given so little pay for so much work

Meath/Dublin/Birmingham

"Oh we pay those Bill's in all walks of life and dont get tips ..ah I just commenting it's not a bug bearer tbh"

But business owners like this pay them on the double.

Morgtage/rent for their own home + the business. Heating/electricity for own home + business. Insurance for own home + business.. and so on. They are really not taking much for themselves from a €15 haircut!

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Oh we pay those Bill's in all walks of life and dont get tips ..ah I just commenting it's not a bug bearer tbh

Morgtage/rent for their own home + the business. Heating/electricity for own home + business. Insurance for own home + business.. and so on. They are really not taking much for themselves from a €15 haircut!"

And ? That's their choice to run the business just like any other business who rent premises if they weren't making money they wouldn't do it or would raise their prices. It doesn't mean people should tip everyone who does a job for them on too on the price of the service provided. Tipping should be a personal choice of the customer and not an expectation of the business.

somewhere

"I never tip my hairdresser as he is loaded lol but I always tip the junior, for washing my hair, making me tea etc. they deserve it more as they’re given so little pay for so much work"

Its different for women I assume that a few different people could be looking after you in the hairdresser's ( never been inside a ladies hairdresser's)

Men only have one person as far as I know

somewhere

The one I find most awkward is the guy that brings your suitcase to your hotel room

I mean I want to wheel my own case to the room ....thats why it has wheels ffs

But no...lets put the case on a big brass trolly and bring it to your room

I know how to open a door and a curtain with an ipad ....and even how to make my own coffee now here's a fiver to leave cause I just want you out of my room ....please

Meath/Dublin/Birmingham

"Oh we pay those Bill's in all walks of life and dont get tips ..ah I just commenting it's not a bug bearer tbh

Morgtage/rent for their own home + the business. Heating/electricity for own home + business. Insurance for own home + business.. and so on. They are really not taking much for themselves from a €15 haircut!

And ? That's their choice to run the business just like any other business who rent premises if they weren't making money they wouldn't do it or would raise their prices. It doesn't mean people should tip everyone who does a job for them on too on the price of the service provided. Tipping should be a personal choice of the customer and not an expectation of the business.

"

Oh I'm not disagreeing with that at all it was more still responding to the line about the full €15 from a fella's haircut being profit!

"The one I find most awkward is the guy that brings your suitcase to your hotel room

I mean I want to wheel my own case to the room ....thats why it has wheels ffs

But no...lets put the case on a big brass trolly and bring it to your room

I know how to open a door and a curtain with an ipad ....and even how to make my own coffee now here's a fiver to leave cause I just want you out of my room ....please "

Must be staying in 5 star hotels for that treatment!!!

Somewhere in Co. Down

Oh I'm not disagreeing with that at all it was more still responding to the line about the full €15 from a fella's haircut being profit!"

It must be tho or else it would be more expensive .There is no one going to work their business at a loss if they have any sense that is .

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

You'd think prices should be set - I mean I've only went to hairdressers once in a last decade and spent £130 on 3 inch trim off my ends and root touch up

Something that I have been doing myself since I was 14 without any disasters.

I do appreciate creative skill and wouldn't have an issue with paying that money for something amazing, that would have made me go "wow"... but with a thing that is so temporary like a hairstyle (1-2 weeks max of it looking fresh, until roots grow out again) I really can't see how tipping is justifiable and even moreso how much are you supposed to tip if you do? I mean with barbers £3 is perfectly acceptable, but you can't leave £3 on a £130 bill without looking like a cheapskate, so do you leave £10, £20, £50?

(Most hairdressers and barbers in my area rent their chairs, not work for a set wage).

Missus

Meath/Dublin/Birmingham

Oh I'm not disagreeing with that at all it was more still responding to the line about the full €15 from a fella's haircut being profit!

It must be tho or else it would be more expensive .There is no one going to work their business at a loss if they have any sense that is ."

They vary I suppose. My haircut actually costs just under €15! They're a quick in and out job though, which I like... there are usually 2-3 seats on the go, but most times I am done in 10 mins. So they're getting 4-6 people in each seat per hour when the going is good which when you're including the tips could be making in or around €70-100 for every hour in each seat. Not bad!

By *ursecretmischiefCouple  over a year ago

The West

"

Absolutely, no business should ever expect to or be allowed to use tips as an excuse for poor wages!...A shite mentality that creeps in from the states!

Belfast

My barber has told me what he is making after overheads including insurance, electric, laundry etc.

He was a one man business until about 3 years ago and went into partnership with a friend. They have 3 chairs and rent the third out.

They have closed for 2 weeks this year already and been on foreign holidays.

They have been using the booking apps for 3 years and don't accept walk-ins and every standard appt is 20 mins but most are out in 10.

A normal day is 60-70 customers between them at £10 per cut plus extras on top.

That's £3500 per five day week and overheads total £1500-£1600 and the rest is profit split 2 ways.

somewhere

"My barber has told me what he is making after overheads including insurance, electric, laundry etc.

He was a one man business until about 3 years ago and went into partnership with a friend. They have 3 chairs and rent the third out.

They have been using the booking apps for 3 years and don't accept walk-ins and every standard appt is 20 mins but most are out in 10.

That's £3500 per five day week and overheads total £1500-£1600 and the rest is profit split 2 ways. "

I know you say profit but its wages that you pay yourself so you pay taxes,National Insurance....don't know the rates so haven't a clue what they come out with

My barbers is owned by someone that doesn't work there as he has a few shops

So I'm tipping someone thats an employee thats carried out a service

The only people I'd normally tip would be

Barber

Waiter or waitress in a restaurant

I remember asking in a thread before about tipping a barman which seems to be standard in the states ....I've never done it

Belfast

"My barber has told me what he is making after overheads including insurance, electric, laundry etc.

That's £3500 per five day week and overheads total £1500-£1600 and the rest is profit split 2 ways.

I know you say profit but its wages that you pay yourself so you pay taxes,National Insurance....don't know the rates so haven't a clue what they come out with

My barbers is owned by someone that doesn't work there as he has a few shops

So I'm tipping someone thats an employee thats carried out a service

The only people I'd normally tip would be

Barber

Waiter or waitress in a restaurant

I remember asking in a thread before about tipping a barman which seems to be standard in the states ....I've never done it

"

That's what they take home after all overheads and taxes

somewhere

Thats a good wage to pay yourself

Wonder if female hairdressers get more with the higher charges to the customer

Always

Coming from someone who worked 20+ years in the business, tips were always appreciated, and mostly well deserved! Most stylists need not only hairdressing skills but also the skills of a therapist. Regular clients are most stylists bread and butter so there were countless times id give up breaks, start early, finish late etc for a regular client, most times that particular client would be very grateful and leave a tip. Its not taken for granted but always appreciated.

Always tip barber, be at their mercy next time around

By *ewCoupl01Couple  over a year ago

South Dublin

Yeah, we tip both hairdresser and barber. Tbh people that don't tip is a bit of a red flag. We got really turned off potential fun with a couple that mentioned 'Someone needs to do backflip to earn a tip'

By *ifewantstoplayCouple  over a year ago

somewhere

Always.

By *allyWally19Woman  over a year ago

The Road to Nowhere

Normally, I round up. So if something is 75, I'll give 80 a d then I usually give a lil card with something at Christmas too.

"Thats a good wage to pay yourself

Wonder if female hairdressers get more with the higher charges to the customer "

Coming up to Christmas is the only time my partner makes a decent wage but my god she is broke up earning it. Shoulder trouble, back pains and legs cramping from been on their feet for 12 or more hours a day.

And Redhot you're so right, the emotions herself gies through hearing what people tell her. She would never say but there's days where she's an emotional wreck from listening to and helping people.

She wouldn't change it for the world as she loves her trade, clients and staff but people's opinions are so far wrong about earnings. Those barbers earning that money are very lucky, more power to them but they're definitely outliers to the norm!

And whoever said ye can get colour for a 5er, I can assure you it's more than that for a quality product! There's so much more to it than mixing a bottle of color and slapping it on.

Jesus I'm starting to sound like a hairdresser now

somewhere

Coming up to Christmas is the only time my partner makes a decent wage but my god she is broke up earning it. Shoulder trouble, back pains and legs cramping from been on their feet for 12 or more hours a day.

And Redhot you're so right, the emotions herself gies through hearing what people tell her. She would never say but there's days where she's an emotional wreck from listening to and helping people.

She wouldn't change it for the world as she loves her trade, clients and staff but people's opinions are so far wrong about earnings. Those barbers earning that money are very lucky, more power to them but they're definitely outliers to the norm!

And whoever said ye can get colour for a 5er, I can assure you it's more than that for a quality product! There's so much more to it than mixing a bottle of color and slapping it on.

Jesus I'm starting to sound like a hairdresser now "

You didn't ask ...are you going anywhere nice this year on holiday

Jesus I'm starting to sound like a hairdresser now

You didn't ask ...are you going anywhere nice this year on holiday "

Hahaha

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

When I go for a hot towel shave I tip the barber

By *ind PaddyMan  over a year ago

South County Dublin

I always tip the barber, costs nothing to be nice.

By *adhatter and coCouple  over a year ago

Middle of mayo n peaceful tranquility

Hair cost €219 yesterday felt obliged to tip hairdresser extra €10 plus €5 for the girl who washed my hair . Expensive trip

By *UCKER56Man  over a year ago

Walsall

"My haircut costs €17 and I leave a twenty

In fairness its a good services and you don't really notice €3 every month.

£17 for a haircut???!!!!! Blimey ??

I also tip serving staff in a restaurant if I'm eating out after checking to see where the cash goes that I tip....won't eat in a restaurant that uses tips to make up basic wages like The Ivy in Dublin "

Belfast

Literally just met my barber in a coffee shop and told him I had been having a discussion about careers and earnings and running a business.

He works a 52 hour week. Closed Monday, 9-7 Tuesday and Wednesday, 9-9 Thursday and Friday and 9-5 Saturday.

They rent two floors between the barbers and another business upstairs run by a family member. It's a 3 year old building so maintenance charges aren't extortionate.

They have reduced the wage they take each week so they have a healthier business account but are still taking home £700 after tax.

One important point though is that they are both in their early 30's and still living at home with parents so apart from the business they don't have any other outgoings.

somewhere

"Literally just met my barber in a coffee shop and told him I had been having a discussion about careers and earnings and running a business.

He works a 52 hour week. Closed Monday, 9-7 Tuesday and Wednesday, 9-9 Thursday and Friday and 9-5 Saturday.

They rent two floors between the barbers and another business upstairs run by a family member. It's a 3 year old building so maintenance charges aren't extortionate.

They have reduced the wage they take each week so they have a healthier business account but are still taking home £700 after tax.

One important point though is that they are both in their early 30's and still living at home with parents so apart from the business they don't have any other outgoings. "

Hope he paid the tip in the coffee shop

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

"Coming from someone who worked 20+ years in the business, tips were always appreciated, and mostly well deserved! Most stylists need not only hairdressing skills but also the skills of a therapist. Regular clients are most stylists bread and butter so there were countless times id give up breaks, start early, finish late etc for a regular client, most times that particular client would be very grateful and leave a tip. Its not taken for granted but always appreciated. "

There you are

By *ed Viking80Man  over a year ago

ireland

Only Christmas or when I have cash on me.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

I used to tip when a zero all over was cheaper than a "hair cut" now they charge the same so I rarely tip. Plus I don't go to the same barber's every time.

That's £3500 per five day week and overheads total £1500-£1600 and the rest is profit split 2 ways. "

I’m sure they’d be happy to know your going around blabbering their business and profits etc on a public forum

You really need to take a reality check before the reality bites you in the hole

If you were mouthing about my business in public you’d be getting a

Belfast

I’m sure they’d be happy to know your going around blabbering their business and profits etc on a public forum

You really need to take a reality check before the reality bites you in the hole

If you were mouthing about my business in public you’d be getting a "

Ah look. A free haircut

» Add a new message to this topic