FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Increases in crime

Increases in crime

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubal1 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Is Ireland becoming a more dangerous place to live, or is it simply a matter of more crime being reported to the Gardai than was formerly the case.

In reality, I think it's a bit of both, but with Garda resources having been increasingly devoted to combatting serious gang (organised) crime both here and abroad, less time hand resources have been devoted the phenomenal and unprecedented increase in all types of fraud, and domestic violence during the Covid-19 lockdowns.

I think there is less overt respect for authority and that many people are more inclined to cross the line into illegality, knowing that they are very unlikely to be caught or challenged.

Levels of crime on public transport are increasingly as are instances of bad or disrespectful behaviour.

Kidna##ings have increased

How should one take care to avoid being a victim of crime during or after a meet?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

I find I can avoid a significant portion of crime so I don't worry about it. In generally I pay little attention people's opinion on it anyway, often not really based in anything other than perception bias.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Jubal....are you living in the south now.....its not all bad

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

I'm struggling to believe that kidn@ppings have increased, given that we had the era of tiger kidn@ppings in the past, and before that, the paramilitary groups.

There's also the modern trend of whipping out the phone to record. In the distant past people would've told some lads to cop themselves on are even intervened. I know that's not an option these days but christ, the videoing every single thing irritates me.

Joyriding, the greatest misnomer of all time, was at a scary level in the eighties around Dublin and none of today's similar activity comes close to that level.

I also remember having lads try to snatch my bike out from under me while cycling around town back in the day!

Newry Down

"Jubal....are you living in the south now.....its not all bad "

I spend a considerable amount of my time in the so-called south, and make a particular point of staying abreast of matters pertaining to life in the Republic, by a variety of means, including first hand experiences!

somewhere

[Removed by poster at 26/09/22 17:21:26]

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's no more violent today than it was 20 years ago, there was always a cohort of feral people who committed crime with impunity, I can't see that ever changing

Newry Down

The statistics issued by the Garda Siochana state that there has been an increase in most crime, especially fraud, that has increased by 43%.

Violence is definitely on the up, especially on public transport: trains, LUAS, DART, etc.

This is why I opened this specific thread.

somewhere

Whats it like in Northern Ireland

Newry Down

"Whats it like in Northern Ireland "

Domestic violence did rise very substantially during lockdowns, and fraud has increased substantially too especially romance fraud and frauds involving the elderly.

The PSNI are clamping down very significantly on drug trafficking and also human trafficking into covert sla#ery and prostitution.

Unprovoked street violence is rare, but does occur especially where alcohol and drugs are involved.

I know of one specific instance where a gullible elderly man, with a strong religious ethos was conned out of all his savings: he was one victim of a foreign professional gang from eastern Europe who targeted several elderly folk in Bangor and Belfast. When the PSNI applied pressure they went back to their home country.

"The statistics issued by the Garda Siochana state that there has been an increase in most crime, especially fraud, that has increased by 43%.

Violence is definitely on the up, especially on public transport: trains, LUAS, DART, etc.

This is why I opened this specific thread."

Of course its increased by 43% we are only really emerging from covid lockdowns, only a year ago we had to stay indoors which meant less crime unless its domestic, now we are out and about and crime figures are rocketing again

By *itty369Woman  over a year ago

Munster somewhere sometime

I am not sure on statistics I think we are just more in undated with the information. But what I have witnessed and this is not on the ramming of the patrol car but a severe lack of fear or respect for our justice system let alone the gardaí

"I am not sure on statistics I think we are just more in undated with the information. But what I have witnessed and this is not on the ramming of the patrol car but a severe lack of fear or respect for our justice system let alone the gardaí"

That kind of joyriding/ramming garda cars was far worse in the 80s and 90s, there was no such thing as an immobiliser so any car could be stolen it was a joyrider dream also we didn't hear about the escapades of years ago because nobody had a mobile phone and if you did there was no camera on it, recording these incidents and putting them on social media makes it a whole lot worse and really brings it to the public eye hence why we seem to think today's problems are far worse than those of 25 years ago..

By *eadfirst99Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Live your life and enjoy it folks.

These forums are turning into dr. phil shows.

Keep it simple & get on with it

Newry Down

An interesting report in today's Irish Times, that up to 50% of SMEs (small and medium sized enterprises) in Ireland had been subjected to Ransomware attacks, some on several occasions.

The reputational damage from admitting such an attack can be devastating, which coerces businesses to pay up and stay silent.

Ireland is spectacularly ill-prepared to cope with this insidious type of cyber crime; the Gardai do not have sufficient staff or state of the art expertise to combat this type of pervasive fraud.

Newry Down

An interesting report in today's Irish Times, that up to 50% of SMEs (small and medium sized enterprises) in Ireland had been subjected to Ransomware attacks, some on several occasions.

The reputational damage from admitting such an attack can be devastating, which coerces businesses to pay up and stay silent.

Ireland is spectacularly ill-prepared to cope with this insidious type of cyber crime; the Gardai do not have sufficient staff or state of the art expertise to combat this type of pervasive fraud.

Newry Down

Oops!

By *huCullainMan  over a year ago

Rathowen

"Jubal....are you living in the south now.....its not all bad

I spend a considerable amount of my time in the so-called south, and make a particular point of staying abreast of matters pertaining to life in the Republic, by a variety of means, including first hand experiences!"

Define what you mean by 'so called south' ?

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Here is irelands crime statistics. There has not been an increase recently.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/IRL/ireland/crime-rate-statistics

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Talking about engine crime and safety Ireland is on third world countries level

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Carrick

Its hard to know if there is an increase in crime, an increase in reporting , or an increase in recording crime. Im aware of crime around me, and potential for trouble, especially on the Luas in parts of Dublin, and feral gangs roaming city streets. I grew up in the inner city, so i know how to mind myself. My own experience is that Gardai are reluctant to record a complaint, at Station level, and have tried to fob me off with" ah sure , it'll be all over by the time we get there". Or "there's no car available". Is there an increase in xidnaxxing? Thats probably linked to a certain ethnic group's bizarre courtship rituals. Living in the so called west I hear reports of it from time to time, but there never seems to be follow up.

» Add a new message to this topic