FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Twelve Euro increase on welfare

Twelve Euro increase on welfare

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubal1 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Politicians have difficult decisions to make, but the twelve Euro increase in welfare payments is not going to go very far in the present climate of massive increases in the cost of food, energy and other necessities.

Free school books for primary children is a welcome development, as is the reduction in childcare costs, but pensioners by definition do not have these outgoings.

The cost of living in the Republic is high, and higher than in the north; twelve Euro is clearly insufficient to maintain homeostasis!

Twenty Euro would have been more equitable; the exchequer is currently flush with cash.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *omtom1969Man  over a year ago

ashbourne

Their are 25k people that have been on the dole for over 15 years they don't want to work because we are given them everything, so why should they get even more for sitting at home

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What's your PPS number and I'll review your entitlements for you, with compliments, Social Welfare Republic of Ireland.

By *otownkid1967Man  over a year ago

Portlaoise

"What's your PPS number and I'll review your entitlements for you, with compliments, Social Welfare Republic of Ireland. "

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

In the current climate it is difficult to justify being long-term unemployed though, unless the reason is you just couldn't be arsed getting a job. In which case there is little incentive to do more.

12 quid more on jobseekers and yet I passed a shop.yesterday that had a sign , shop closed due to shortage of staff, I'm sorry but noone should be on jobseekers for longer than 6 months.

By *ogladyWoman  over a year ago

The bog

I don't blame them not wanting to work cause ya get absolutely nothing by working...

ashbourne

The biggest problem with the long term is , we have already given them everything, house , money, medical cards , they even get foot from food banks so they are not for moving anytime soon

"I don't blame them not wanting to work cause ya get absolutely nothing by working..."

Unfortunately it's true, I be betyer off at home popping out kids , not working

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

"12 quid more on jobseekers and yet I passed a shop.yesterday that had a sign , shop closed due to shortage of staff, I'm sorry but noone should be on jobseekers for longer than 6 months. "

Sorry now DD I'm on it since the place shut in March but I'm not going to take any old job for crap money, I'm going to work and get paid to my value.

"12 quid more on jobseekers and yet I passed a shop.yesterday that had a sign , shop closed due to shortage of staff, I'm sorry but noone should be on jobseekers for longer than 6 months.

Sorry now DD I'm on it since the place shut in March but I'm not going to take any old job for crap money, I'm going to work and get paid to my value. "

That's different scotty your only on it a while and you have always worked, it's the ones on it longterm as in years, I know a few on it and they have openly said as long as they get it and all the rest they staying unemployed.

"12 quid more on jobseekers and yet I passed a shop.yesterday that had a sign , shop closed due to shortage of staff, I'm sorry but noone should be on jobseekers for longer than 6 months.

Sorry now DD I'm on it since the place shut in March but I'm not going to take any old job for crap money, I'm going to work and get paid to my value.

That's different scotty your only on it a while and you have always worked, it's the ones on it longterm as in years, I know a few on it and they have openly said as long as they get it and all the rest they staying unemployed. "

It's 6months. How is it different other than you knowing and liking the person

By *adhatter and coCouple  over a year ago

Middle of mayo n peaceful tranquility

Just as well there’s workers to support all those that can’t be bothered to support themselves

By *he_Secret_GardenWoman  over a year ago

Naughty Lane

That's different scotty your only on it a while and you have always worked, it's the ones on it longterm as in years, I know a few on it and they have openly said as long as they get it and all the rest they staying unemployed.

It's 6months. How is it different other than you knowing and liking the person "

It's 6months. How is it different other than you knowing and liking the person "

Cause I've been on the dole for 6 months and it's bloody tough and been treated like a number when u go to the dole office, as you get older harder to find work, and if you have more experience a lot of places won't hire you. Got nothing to do with whether I like a person or not, the amount of jobs I applied for was unreal and yet I kept going , set up my own business.

kilkenny

Cause I've been on the dole for 6 months and it's bloody tough and been treated like a number when u go to the dole office, as you get older harder to find work, and if you have more experience a lot of places won't hire you. Got nothing to do with whether I like a person or not, the amount of jobs I applied for was unreal and yet I kept going , set up my own business."

The words "too experienced" have been said to me by 4 different places I applied to.

Cause I've been on the dole for 6 months and it's bloody tough and been treated like a number when u go to the dole office, as you get older harder to find work, and if you have more experience a lot of places won't hire you. Got nothing to do with whether I like a person or not, the amount of jobs I applied for was unreal and yet I kept going , set up my own business.

The words "too experienced" have been said to me by 4 different places I applied to. "

Yep I got it loads when I was looking

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

The words "too experienced" have been said to me by 4 different places I applied to. "

Translates as "too expensive"

Hope you get sorted soon x

"Their are 25k people that have been on the dole for over 15 years they don't want to work because we are given them everything, so why should they get even more for sitting at home "

Well said

By *ild WomanWoman  over a year ago

Carlow

You find work if really looking for it. I had one job ssy I jad to much experience and they had no office work. It was not what I had applied for but catering post so I told them that everyone has to eat. They hired me, i was only going in as relief but within 2 weeks i was on full roster.

"12 quid more on jobseekers and yet I passed a shop.yesterday that had a sign , shop closed due to shortage of staff, I'm sorry but noone should be on jobseekers for longer than 6 months. "

"

Cause I've been on the dole for 6 months and it's bloody tough and been treated like a number when u go to the dole office, as you get older harder to find work, and if you have more experience a lot of places won't hire you. Got nothing to do with whether I like a person or not, the amount of jobs I applied for was unreal and yet I kept going , set up my own business."

Im sorry but these could be written by 2 completely different people

Not everyone on welfare is on the dole though, carers have it tough, they work 24/7 and get fuck all support or entitlements. There is also people on disability who cant work.

Currently you give up your career to care for someone who needs you and arent even entitled to a proper pension.

kilkenny

The words "too experienced" have been said to me by 4 different places I applied to.

Translates as "too expensive"

Hope you get sorted soon x"

Translates as too old

Cause I've been on the dole for 6 months and it's bloody tough and been treated like a number when u go to the dole office, as you get older harder to find work, and if you have more experience a lot of places won't hire you. Got nothing to do with whether I like a person or not, the amount of jobs I applied for was unreal and yet I kept going , set up my own business. Im sorry but these could be written by 2 completely different people "

Well it wasn't

Newry Down

In trying to find a job, there is also a lot of covert ageism: prejudice against people who are older, but have a good positive attitude and want to work in a job that they are capable of doing well.

The last job I got was by very cunningly not revealing my age, and applying by an unapproved method.

They realised very quickly that my attitude was good; I was capable of long hard physical work and I was highly competent. But there were quite a few digs about my age, that I started to resent.

After the Black Death in England, centuries ago, fit and healthy workers became very valuable.

Older workers should not be written off; I am vastly experienced and would be a valuable worker.

But job applications, that I used to send out, were ignored.

"Not everyone on welfare is on the dole though, carers have it tough, they work 24/7 and get fuck all support or entitlements. There is also people on disability who cant work.

Currently you give up your career to care for someone who needs you and arent even entitled to a proper pension."

Thsts why I said jobseekers? If you on disability or receiving carers its a different reason or story

I'm on about the long term unemployed that haven't worked in years and have no intention of ever working.

The welfare trap is no fun and the majority of people (I believe) don't want to be in it. Sadly, many stuck in this poverty trap don't have the luxury of being able to get educated or in a position to better themselves, cause a lot aren't coming from a comfortable background.

I believe in a welfare state, because I know that by working and paying my PRSI, I'll be entitled to support if I need it. These stories of "shameless scroungers" are actually few and far between and they're not indicative of many using welfare to survive.

If people living on low income or welfare are constantly vilified or demonised by society, at some point they'll start to believe that and by that stage they see no point in trying to better themselves. If you're gonna be hung, it may as well be for a sheep as for a lamb.

"The welfare trap is no fun and the majority of people (I believe) don't want to be in it. Sadly, many stuck in this poverty trap don't have the luxury of being able to get educated or in a position to better themselves, cause a lot aren't coming from a comfortable background.

I believe in a welfare state, because I know that by working and paying my PRSI, I'll be entitled to support if I need it. These stories of "shameless scroungers" are actually few and far between and they're not indicative of many using welfare to survive.

If people living on low income or welfare are constantly vilified or demonised by society, at some point they'll start to believe that and by that stage they see no point in trying to better themselves. If you're gonna be hung, it may as well be for a sheep as for a lamb."

Ah shameless scroungers unfortunately a lot more than we know and as for the amount of social welfare fraud, quite a lot overpaid and than you have some u underpaid, unfortunately the system needs a complete overhaul but the government just throws money at it hoping it will cover the cracks.

Hopefully whatever we do get tomorrow in the budget it will make the harsh few months ahead easier for the majority

ashbourne

The biggest problem with being on the dole is if you get a job they take everything back off you, they don't give you time to adjust , like the medical card , if you get a job boom it's gone instead of leaving you with it for a while nd then moving you to the doctor only card , it's things like that that has people not wanting to get jobs ,, well some people

Cause I've been on the dole for 6 months and it's bloody tough and been treated like a number when u go to the dole office, as you get older harder to find work, and if you have more experience a lot of places won't hire you. Got nothing to do with whether I like a person or not, the amount of jobs I applied for was unreal and yet I kept going , set up my own business. Im sorry but these could be written by 2 completely different people

Well it wasn't "

With flip flopping like that you could be in government

Cause I've been on the dole for 6 months and it's bloody tough and been treated like a number when u go to the dole office, as you get older harder to find work, and if you have more experience a lot of places won't hire you. Got nothing to do with whether I like a person or not, the amount of jobs I applied for was unreal and yet I kept going , set up my own business. Im sorry but these could be written by 2 completely different people

Well it wasn't

With flip flopping like that you could be in government "

How am I flip flopping?

"

How am I flip flopping? "

Nobody should be on jobseekers for over 6monts...

Not you scotty your good.

Like that

What about ppl on minimum wage. Ppl on disability careers all all can work along with there social. So in total are bringing in nearly as much as some one on minimum wage.

They need to ban zero hour contracts too. You cant expect someone to give up a guaranteed weekly income to feed and support their family, in return for min wage and no guarantee of a certain amount of hours.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"They need to ban zero hour contracts too. You cant expect someone to give up a guaranteed weekly income to feed and support their family, in return for min wage and no guarantee of a certain amount of hours.

"

I actually thought they were banned

"

How am I flip flopping?

Like that "

OK I tho8ght I'd explain myself since, I should have worded it better. Noone should be on long term jobseekers, I've been there and I bloody struggled to find work but I eventually did, and as scotty above said, I often got the line " your too experienced" . I hated been on it and left the dole office one day after been reduced to tears after been told I wasn't doing enough to find work. Even did a 6 month job bridge that literally broke me with the way I was treated.

So I'll retract what I originally said and state anyone on job seekers allowance over 2 years shouldn't be on it.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding.

"They need to ban zero hour contracts too. You cant expect someone to give up a guaranteed weekly income to feed and support their family, in return for min wage and no guarantee of a certain amount of hours.

I actually thought they were banned "

Technically they are but i know people who have been offered jobs in large supermarkets and been told that they cant guarantee any hours.

"

There will always be employers who chance it, hoping the employee won't say anything

By *ewrideMan  over a year ago

KK

That's down to poor wages.

Why do people get so bothered by the unemployed?

Do people actually think about what the consequences of having no social protection would be?

Who benefits from plunging someone into poverty?

Do people actually think about what the consequences of having no social protection would be?

Who benefits from plunging someone into poverty?"

I don't agree with plunging anyone into poverty and I've personally been on the breadline over the years as a single parent i did without, no holidays, worked part time went back to college and have worked bloody hard to get where i am and yet im worrying aboit my bills etc, I have depended on svdp etc.

The point om trying to get across is the people who are long term scroungers that will never work. And know how to work the system

By *ukeM8519Man  over a year ago

Sligo Donegal

There was a wee man who sat on his hole,

Gettin up late and claimin the dole,

Comin back home to play with his pole,

Shoutin ta mam ‘make us a chicken fillet role’.

By *oadrunner2000Man  over a year ago

city centre

And on the other side of all of this we have our Dail deputies giving themselves a 6500 euro pay rise... Good on them... They're some grafters to be fair. As mutch as I hate scroungers ti's a pity the population aren't more up in arms over that

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

I know several people who make a good living being unemployed.

(All have trades) but work casually cash in hand while claiming. Most these guys have are ways fully booked out so you have to wait weeks if you need their services.

By *mmortalValkyrieWoman  over a year ago

From a galaxy far far away

€12 increase in Welfare.... So What? Really Think About This....

Here lies the problem....

This is a purposefull distraction to which the pages of press, discussion groups, chat rooms, gossip and such like will be focused....

It will speil out the usual scroungers line, the 25k long term unemployment, obviously all on the take, free houses, holidays, new cars, get everything handed to them etc...

This riles up the majority of hard working people....

Who seem to have forgotten that it wasnt the people on the dole who bankrupted the country....

Job done....

This prevents you from raising your head from looking downwards at your neighnours, to looking at the real issue of fraud and corruption amongst thoes who pay millions to be tax avoiders etc...

Dosent it?

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

"Politicians have difficult decisions to make, but the twelve Euro increase in welfare payments is not going to go very far in the present climate of massive increases in the cost of food, energy and other necessities.

Free school books for primary children is a welcome development, as is the reduction in childcare costs, but pensioners by definition do not have these outgoings.

The cost of living in the Republic is high, and higher than in the north; twelve Euro is clearly insufficient to maintain homeostasis!

Twenty Euro would have been more equitable; the exchequer is currently flush with cash."

here's a thought get a job and stop expecting the state to pay everything

"€12 increase in Welfare.... So What? Really Think About This....

Here lies the problem....

This is a purposefull distraction to which the pages of press, discussion groups, chat rooms, gossip and such like will be focused....

It will speil out the usual scroungers line, the 25k long term unemployment, obviously all on the take, free houses, holidays, new cars, get everything handed to them etc...

This riles up the majority of hard working people....

Who seem to have forgotten that it wasnt the people on the dole who bankrupted the country....

Job done....

This prevents you from raising your head from looking downwards at your neighnours, to looking at the real issue of fraud and corruption amongst thoes who pay millions to be tax avoiders etc...

Dosent it? "

Yep it turns us against each other while the government plod along with their wage increase, but how do we turn it around.

Civil service get a 1% increase and there's uproar yet for the majority of the xivil servic o the lower end of pascals it equates to about a 10 gross a week,

Guess the budget will tell us how easy or hard winter will be

Home

Its not 25k long term unemployed its 100k and that equates to near on 1.1 billion a year on dole to people who refuse to work. I wonder if you took the people who refuse to work off the housing list how long would it really be.

"Its not 25k long term unemployed its 100k and that equates to near on 1.1 billion a year on dole to people who refuse to work. I wonder if you took the people who refuse to work off the housing list how long would it really be. "

Incorrect

It was 44,300 in 2021 Long Term Unemployed figures which also include long covid cases.

Home

"Its not 25k long term unemployed its 100k and that equates to near on 1.1 billion a year on dole to people who refuse to work. I wonder if you took the people who refuse to work off the housing list how long would it really be.

Incorrect

It was 44,300 in 2021 Long Term Unemployed figures which also include long covid cases. "

grand so 500 million a year so and people give out about government salaries the 160 tds combined yearly wage isn't even 10% of that. Everyone of them should be given a time limit to find work or be struck off.

I understand what you are saying Caveman but.....

For a bit of perspective....and where your focus should be....

"10 Aug 2021 — Ireland loses over $14bi in tax every year to global tax avoidance. This is equivalent to 22% of its tax revenue per annum"

Mike drop.....

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

"Not everyone on welfare is on the dole though, carers have it tough, they work 24/7 and get fuck all support or entitlements. There is also people on disability who cant work.

Currently you give up your career to care for someone who needs you and arent even entitled to a proper pension."

totally agree, working while you are s career is impossible. And not only that your not even recognised in the eyes of the government. I don't class it a job looking after my daughter I'm saving the government by not working....

Currently you give up your career to care for someone who needs you and arent even entitled to a proper pension. totally agree, working while you are s career is impossible. And not only that your not even recognised in the eyes of the government. I don't class it a job looking after my daughter I'm saving the government by not working...."

How carers are treated in this country is an absolute disgrace and it pisses me off no end!!

By *oadrunner2000Man  over a year ago

city centre

"I understand what you are saying Caveman but.....

For a bit of perspective....and where your focus should be....

"10 Aug 2021 — Ireland loses over $14bi in tax every year to global tax avoidance. This is equivalent to 22% of its tax revenue per annum"

Mike drop.....

Touche. But just remember, all of those multinational companies that are avoiding tax here are still paying the bills. The corporate tax take is what's keeping this country afloat. If that tap is shut off we are the swanny....

"

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Whenever it comes to social welfare the usual bashing happens, tarring everyone with the same brush, name calling etc.

I'm sure there's some that milk the system, but most would rather work. Yes there's plenty of jobs out there at present, it doesn't mean those jobs are suitable for everyone. It depends on your personal circumstances and your qualifications. Unfortunately the older you get, the harder it becomes.

Anyway lets be honest you're not getting rich with it and you can barely make a living especially in these times. It's not living the life of Riley, that expression would fit our politicians much more accurately who take home 10 times plus of taxpayers money.

"Whenever it comes to social welfare the usual bashing happens, tarring everyone with the same brush, name calling etc.

I'm sure there's some that milk the system, but most would rather work. Yes there's plenty of jobs out there at present, it doesn't mean those jobs are suitable for everyone. It depends on your personal circumstances and your qualifications. Unfortunately the older you get, the harder it becomes.

Anyway lets be honest you're not getting rich with it and you can barely make a living especially in these times. It's not living the life of Riley, that expression would fit our politicians much more accurately who take home 10 times plus of taxpayers money. "

Precisely. And considering that most of them will sit on nice big pensions for doing sweet fa, it's somewhat ironic that they'd have any neck to call out someone bending the rules just to have an extra few euros in their pocket.

A shower of useless f**kers, the lot of them. The TDs, that is.

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

Social welfare fraud is in the little leagues compared to some of what read mentioned above, as well as the likes of AIB not having to pay any tax on their billions of euro in profit for the foreseeable future, despite us, the ordinary people of Ireland, carrying the can for their errors of judgement for the next couple of generations. Leo did his work well with his "welfare cheats chest us all" line.

The vast majority of people on welfare have no choice but to spend every single cent they get. That means that they pay a reasonable enough percentage of their income in taxes compared to people who have enough to save some. Almost everything we buy carries a tax of some sort, therefore we're all contributing to the exchequer.

I'm also a bit surprised at the "envy" of people living on the dole given the general disquiet at so many being forced onto it more than once over the last couple of years. The general consensus then was that it was impossible to survive on €208 a week.

"Social welfare fraud is in the little leagues compared to some of what read mentioned above, as well as the likes of AIB not having to pay any tax on their billions of euro in profit for the foreseeable future, despite us, the ordinary people of Ireland, carrying the can for their errors of judgement for the next couple of generations. Leo did his work well with his "welfare cheats chest us all" line.

The vast majority of people on welfare have no choice but to spend every single cent they get. That means that they pay a reasonable enough percentage of their income in taxes compared to people who have enough to save some. Almost everything we buy carries a tax of some sort, therefore we're all contributing to the exchequer.

I'm also a bit surprised at the "envy" of people living on the dole given the general disquiet at so many being forced onto it more than once over the last couple of years. The general consensus then was that it was impossible to survive on €208 a week. "

Eh, most of the "work" that we all pride ourselves on serves no real purpose anyway, in fact a lot of it is contributing to the demise of our planet and the destruction of our own mental health.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"Social welfare fraud is in the little leagues compared to some of what read mentioned above, as well as the likes of AIB not having to pay any tax on their billions of euro in profit for the foreseeable future, despite us, the ordinary people of Ireland, carrying the can for their errors of judgement for the next couple of generations. Leo did his work well with his "welfare cheats chest us all" line.

I'm also a bit surprised at the "envy" of people living on the dole given the general disquiet at so many being forced onto it more than once over the last couple of years. The general consensus then was that it was impossible to survive on €208 a week. "

Imagine trying to survive on a max of £61.05 if you're under 24 and a max of £77 for 24 and above.

Well a friend of mine who works in HR for a large recruitment agency has tols me to down play some of your experience when applying for certain jobs. Plus a lot of employers are requiring level 7,8,9 qualifications for positions. So it about managing your c.v. to suit the job your applying for, or sit down with a recruitment agency and let them try and find you work

Zero hour contracts were made illegal a few years back

"

"

How am I flip flopping?

Like that

OK I tho8ght I'd explain myself since, I should have worded it better. Noone should be on long term jobseekers, I've been there and I bloody struggled to find work but I eventually did, and as scotty above said, I often got the line " your too experienced" . I hated been on it and left the dole office one day after been reduced to tears after been told I wasn't doing enough to find work. Even did a 6 month job bridge that literally broke me with the way I was treated.

So I'll retract what I originally said and state anyone on job seekers allowance over 2 years shouldn't be on it.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding."

You shouldn't have to explain yourself. I was made redundant in Feb 2011, due to the downturn in the construction industry. Within 3 days of me going in to the welfare office , I got a letter saying I had to attend the Fas office and bring any evidence of trying to find work. I went in to the office and the person behind the desk was so degrading and smug about things. They said there was always a chance of things going belly up in the construction industry and people need a plan b. At this point I showed him my list on continuous leaning via night time college and had 2 degrees as well as been a qualified plastic welder / fabricator. Some of the people working in those offices wouldn't last a week in the private sector. I spent 6 months on the dole , but done fas course and finally I took a short term contract and was there for nearly 6 years. But your are correct fit and healthy people should not be on the dole for over 12months

By *ancy38Woman  over a year ago

galway

Some interesting comments in here. It started off with the 12e rise in welfare to people not wanting to work! Me personally, I work and always have apart from when my kids where very young and it was a time I needed welfare payments to help me by. It was tough!

For anyone who wants to live on benefits, I have no problems with this. Some could actually be worse off if they worked, or it doesn't really make sense if someone works 40 hours a week and loses other benefits if they can get close to it in benefits. With that said, everyone's situation is different and some really struggle on welfare. I don't begrudge anyone for the way they live their life. Life is hard enough on everyone in these times and if someone wants to live how they live, who am I to judge.

In my opinion, it's the whole system needs an overall and not just the welfare, everything political and the money system. There's billions leave this country every year to bankers and oil companies that should be used for the country but that's a whole different thread altogether.

KK

"

I don't agree with plunging anyone into poverty and I've personally been on the breadline over the years as a single parent i did without, no holidays, worked part time went back to college and have worked bloody hard to get where i am and yet im worrying aboit my bills etc, I have depended on svdp etc.

The point om trying to get across is the people who are long term scroungers that will never work. And know how to work the system"

You very clearly are wishing poverty on some people.

The system is supposed to work for all of us, including them.

No-one, absolutely no-one, benefits from a member of their own society being impoverished.

Belfast

"Some interesting comments in here. It started off with the 12e rise in welfare to people not wanting to work! Me personally, I work and always have apart from when my kids where very young and it was a time I needed welfare payments to help me by. It was tough!

For anyone who wants to live on benefits, I have no problems with this. Some could actually be worse off if they worked, or it doesn't really make sense if someone works 40 hours a week and loses other benefits if they can get close to it in benefits. With that said, everyone's situation is different and some really struggle on welfare. I don't begrudge anyone for the way they live their life. Life is hard enough on everyone in these times and if someone wants to live how they live, who am I to judge.

In my opinion, it's the whole system needs an overall and not just the welfare, everything political and the money system. There's billions leave this country every year to bankers and oil companies that should be used for the country but that's a whole different thread altogether. "

In 1991 I helped set up and establish a business that went on to become the largest of its kind in NI. I managed it until it was forced to close in 2013 due to changes in legislation that inflicted a 70% fall in sales. In that same year my annual earnings were less than £15k which was virtually the same as all our competitors were paying. I had no qualifications and as I had been working 60-70 hour weeks I didn't have the time to retrain.

The only benefit I was entitled to were tax credits which worked out at just over £4k a year.

I then went to work for the parent company and while my earnings increased by 50% I no longer qualified for tax credits.

Five years later I went to a different company managing one of their 3 warehouses.

During a management meeting I discovered that my colleague in the Midlands in England was earning £42k a year and the manager of the Dublin outlet was on €46k while I was on £26k for doing exactly the same job.

I was made redundant for the first time in my life a year later due to covid and was lucky enough to get another job at two thirds of what I was on.

My point being that I've worked since I was 19 because I didn't have options and the majority of positions I looked at over the years were paying exactly what I was already on. Those that were offering slightly more required qualifications I didn't have.

Claiming jobseekers allowance or other benefits rather than working wasn't an option because as I said in another post it's only £77 pw which is pittance.

"

The point om trying to get across is the people who are long term scroungers that will never work. And know how to work the system

You very clearly are wishing poverty on some people.

The system is supposed to work for all of us, including them.

No-one, absolutely no-one, benefits from a member of their own society being impoverished."

Those "long term scroungers" will always be there; that's just a fact. However, they do not account for the many honest people who are needing welfare payments.

"Some interesting comments in here. It started off with the 12e rise in welfare to people not wanting to work! Me personally, I work and always have apart from when my kids where very young and it was a time I needed welfare payments to help me by. It was tough!

In my opinion, it's the whole system needs an overall and not just the welfare, everything political and the money system. There's billions leave this country every year to bankers and oil companies that should be used for the country but that's a whole different thread altogether.

In 1991 I helped set up and establish a business that went on to become the largest of its kind in NI. I managed it until it was forced to close in 2013 due to changes in legislation that inflicted a 70% fall in sales. In that same year my annual earnings were less than £15k which was virtually the same as all our competitors were paying. I had no qualifications and as I had been working 60-70 hour weeks I didn't have the time to retrain.

The only benefit I was entitled to were tax credits which worked out at just over £4k a year.

I then went to work for the parent company and while my earnings increased by 50% I no longer qualified for tax credits.

Five years later I went to a different company managing one of their 3 warehouses.

During a management meeting I discovered that my colleague in the Midlands in England was earning £42k a year and the manager of the Dublin outlet was on €46k while I was on £26k for doing exactly the same job.

I was made redundant for the first time in my life a year later due to covid and was lucky enough to get another job at two thirds of what I was on.

My point being that I've worked since I was 19 because I didn't have options and the majority of positions I looked at over the years were paying exactly what I was already on. Those that were offering slightly more required qualifications I didn't have.

Claiming jobseekers allowance or other benefits rather than working wasn't an option because as I said in another post it's only £77 pw which is pittance.

"

It's a joke in NI/UK. Which is why so many try to get into ESA or disability payments. Trying to survive on £77 a week is a farce.

KK

"

Those "long term scroungers" will always be there; that's just a fact. However, they do not account for the many honest people who are needing welfare payments.

"

Tell me what the consequences of removing social protection would be

"

Tell me what the consequences of removing social protection would be"

Well, a possible increase in criminal and black market activity. Many without the protection net of a welfare system will find themselves exploited by ruthless employers and without any means to support themselves.

The last thing I'd want to see is Ireland becoming more like America.

galway

"

I don't know what your response is to my post.

77£ isn't much I agree which is also an incentive to get people to get a job however 77£ plus getting housing paid plus doctors, dentist and other benefits and doing cash in hand is very appealing to alot of people other than taking full time employment.

galway

"

Tell me what the consequences of removing social protection would be"

Unthinkable! The crime rate would be explosive.

I'd rather live in a society that has a safety net for people that need it that gets taken advantage of by a small minority. Than live in one that doesn't.

More could absolutely be done to root out welfare fraud and to help those who are not incentivised to work but.we also have much bigger problems to deal with

Belfast

I don't know what your response is to my post.

77£ isn't much I agree which is also an incentive to get people to get a job however 77£ plus getting housing paid plus doctors, dentist and other benefits and doing cash in hand is very appealing to alot of people other than taking full time employment. "

I was actually agreeing with your point about people on minimum wage losing out on benefits.

By *amesy6918Man  over a year ago

newry

12 euro you’d be lucky to get a meal deal in Dublin for that now!

KK

"

Well, a possible increase in criminal and black market activity. Many without the protection net of a welfare system will find themselves exploited by ruthless employers and without any means to support themselves.

The last thing I'd want to see is Ireland becoming more like America."

Exactly.

A social welfare system is a hallmark of a developed country.

By *itemeagainMan  over a year ago

Wexford

"In the current climate it is difficult to justify being long-term unemployed though, unless the reason is you just couldn't be arsed getting a job. In which case there is little incentive to do more. "

In many many cases long-term unemployed are socially excluded from our #"normal capitalist life"

Many end up in same housings estates or local areas and as a result this can fuel the sence of feeling stuck in a social/economical rout . Not to mention the fact that the m ensures put in place to facilitate long-term unemployed returning to work and the social aspects that come with it , are shocking inadequate.

How we treat our poor(regardless of the reason) and our animals is an excellent indicator of how empathetic we are as a society

Wexford

Well it wasn't "

No it wasn't,, more likely written to justify your being on both sides of your own opinion.

Wexford

"The welfare trap is no fun and the majority of people (I believe) don't want to be in it. Sadly, many stuck in this poverty trap don't have the luxury of being able to get educated or in a position to better themselves, cause a lot aren't coming from a comfortable background.

If people living on low income or welfare are constantly vilified or demonised by society, at some point they'll start to believe that and by that stage they see no point in trying to better themselves. If you're gonna be hung, it may as well be for a sheep as for a lamb."

Wexford

If people living on low income or welfare are constantly vilified or demonised by society, at some point they'll start to believe that and by that stage they see no point in trying to better themselves. If you're gonna be hung, it may as well be for a sheep as for a lamb.

Ah shameless scroungers unfortunately a lot more than we know and as for the amount of social welfare fraud, quite a lot overpaid and than you have some u underpaid, unfortunately the system needs a complete overhaul but the government just throws money at it hoping it will cover the cracks.

Hopefully whatever we do get tomorrow in the budget it will make the harsh few months ahead easier for the majority"

Of its alot more than we know ... how do we know????????

"

The last thing I'd want to see is Ireland becoming more like America.

Exactly.

A social welfare system is a hallmark of a developed country."

Wexford

"What about ppl on minimum wage. Ppl on disability careers all all can work along with there social. So in total are bringing in nearly as much as some one on minimum wage. "

You say that like minimum wage is a liveable amount ?

"In the current climate it is difficult to justify being long-term unemployed though, unless the reason is you just couldn't be arsed getting a job. In which case there is little incentive to do more.

In many many cases long-term unemployed are socially excluded from our #"normal capitalist life"

Many end up in same housings estates or local areas and as a result this can fuel the sence of feeling stuck in a social/economical rout . Not to mention the fact that the m ensures put in place to facilitate long-term unemployed returning to work and the social aspects that come with it , are shocking inadequate.

How we treat our poor(regardless of the reason) and our animals is an excellent indicator of how empathetic we are as a society "

I was long term unemployed for about 4 years. During that time, I retrained and got a third level qualification, but I would have had no issue finding a paying job; I simply wasn't fit to work and would've been jumping from job to job, only making my condition worse.

I didn't choose that, and I strove the whole time to get back to work, but I wasn't going to settle for a job I could've gotten without any qualifications as I'd put so much work into getting that.

It's never as simple or as straightforward as saying some people don't want to work. The majority do; but there's little safety net for people to re-engage with employment after a time out of the workforce.

Wexford

Who benefits from plunging someone into poverty?

The point om trying to get across is the people who are long term scroungers that will never work. And know how to work the system"

So what? What do you suggest cut them off and make them homeless?

We do our best as a society to protect the vulnerable and create jobs for most. If a miniscule amount fall between those lines .. isn't it a sacrifice worth making to protest the vulnerable?

I think a lot of this sentiment comes from our of date attitudes and much of the crap we're fed from America.

No one achieves the American dream. This "work hard and you'll get the rewards" is bullshit. It's a rigged game. Wealthy people protect their wealth by having vested interests in laws and law makers. 90% of all wealth is inherited.

I still laugh at the likes of Haughey having the balls to talk about belt-tightening. And yet, people kept voting for him.

As they do for all the clowns in office.

Newry Down

The projected surplus in the Exchequer is reported to be just over 3bn, three billion Euro, but as a short-term measure, to assist the citizenry to overcome the current cost of living crisis, the politicians have decided to spend 11bn, which eventually has to be paid for!

Eleven billion Euro is written as follows:

That is an awful lot of dosh to spend!

I don't know how any of you who are against social welfare think that people can survive on it. I'm on it at the minute, new job lined up soon thankfully but let me tell you it's not easy surviving on just over 200e a week when you have rent and bills and other expenses.

I'm very grateful that we have a system that can keep people like me afloat when needed.

As for the people complaining about "scroungers" - what does it say about this country if it makes sense to stay on the dole than get a job. Maybe you should be pointing those fingers at the government and the shite minimum wage and the ridiculous cost of living in this country.

By *ind PaddyMan  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"The projected surplus in the Exchequer is reported to be just over 3bn, three billion Euro, but as a short-term measure, to assist the citizenry to overcome the current cost of living crisis, the politicians have decided to spend 11bn, which eventually has to be paid for!

Eleven billion Euro is written as follows:

That is an awful lot of dosh to spend!"

And it is the young people coming up who will have to pay it back

By *ind PaddyMan  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"I don't know how any of you who are against social welfare think that people can survive on it. I'm on it at the minute, new job lined up soon thankfully but let me tell you it's not easy surviving on just over 200e a week when you have rent and bills and other expenses.

I'm very grateful that we have a system that can keep people like me afloat when needed.

As for the people complaining about "scroungers" - what does it say about this country if it makes sense to stay on the dole than get a job. Maybe you should be pointing those fingers at the government and the shite minimum wage and the ridiculous cost of living in this country."

best of luck with your new job

By *aucyladMan  over a year ago

Dublin

In life you will always find those who choose not to work. That's the key, some choose not to work, many others can't work for one reason or another. Its never as simple as saying get them off the dole.

We are relatively lucky we have a social welfare system that provides support when genuinely needed. Of course some will abuse the system,but for many it helps them when they need and that's a measure of a solid social system.

Tonight many an elderly person is going to bed a little easier knowing they will get some fuel credits,a small increase and possible livkng alone payments etc..

No one is worse off after the budget today. It will never go far enough for people,but by previously budgets they have given alot more away today to assist people in what is unprecedented times. Its too easy to knick the government for everything that goes wrong,today they got an awful lot right I felt.(and no im not a fan of either party but I am realistic in what they did will benefit everyone but you wil always have people who focus on the negatives).

By *ork ClassCouple  over a year ago

Cork

No one on this Island should be unemployed, I'd purpose take 12 euro off them and 12 more next month until they get a job .

"No one on this Island should be unemployed, I'd purpose take 12 euro off them and 12 more next month until they get a job ."

What a wonderful show of empathy

"No one on this Island should be unemployed, I'd purpose take 12 euro off them and 12 more next month until they get a job ."

I'd propose that would a fucking disastrous approach.

All it does is further punish and victimize many who don't want to be caught in a welfare trap.

Saying that anyone should be able to find a job is far too simplistic and myopic a view.

Say, hypothetically, I'm out of work and a menial job becomes available. I could easily fill the role; as soon as the employer looks at my qualifications and experience, there's no way they'll hire me. Why would they? They'd waste time and resources training someone who'll be gone within a few months.

Social welfare isn't just the dole. It's our pension system, child benefits, maternity and paternity benefits, illness benefits, community employment...

The actual numbers of those unemployed aren't drastically high. A lot of this gets spinned by media just looking for juicy stories and to sensationalise things.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"No one on this Island should be unemployed, I'd purpose take 12 euro off them and 12 more next month until they get a job .

What a wonderful show of empathy "

That's class for you.

Dublin

"No one on this Island should be unemployed, I'd purpose take 12 euro off them and 12 more next month until they get a job .

I'd propose that would a fucking disastrous approach.

All it does is further punish and victimize many who don't want to be caught in a welfare trap.

Saying that anyone should be able to find a job is far too simplistic and myopic a view.

Say, hypothetically, I'm out of work and a menial job becomes available. I could easily fill the role; as soon as the employer looks at my qualifications and experience, there's no way they'll hire me. Why would they? They'd waste time and resources training someone who'll be gone within a few months.

Social welfare isn't just the dole. It's our pension system, child benefits, maternity and paternity benefits, illness benefits, community employment...

The actual numbers of those unemployed aren't drastically high. A lot of this gets spinned by media just looking for juicy stories and to sensationalise things.

"

Is there a reason why Ireland, unlike every other country, would be expected to have 100% employment?

Everyone needs to stop this shaming of welfare services and making martyrs of "hard graft"

In the grand scheme of things, work means absolutely fuck all...

Is there a reason why Ireland, unlike every other country, would be expected to have 100% employment?"

Statistically, we're as close to full employment as we'll ever be.

No country in the history of mankind has had or ever will have 100% employment.

The alternative to a welfare state is that we all work until we die, have no healthcare or social supports, and get them lazy bastard young ones out of school and back into the factories at 7.

Seriously, what does a 7 year old be needing with school? Should be out grafting. I had 3 jobs and 14 side hustles on the go when I was 8. And I'm still flat fucking broke

Is there a reason why Ireland, unlike every other country, would be expected to have 100% employment?

Statistically, we're as close to full employment as we'll ever be.

No country in the history of mankind has had or ever will have 100% employment.

The alternative to a welfare state is that we all work until we die, have no healthcare or social supports, and get them lazy bastard young ones out of school and back into the factories at 7.

Seriously, what does a 7 year old be needing with school? Should be out grafting. I had 3 jobs and 14 side hustles on the go when I was 8. And I'm still flat fucking broke "

The mark of a civilised society is how it treats it's weakest members

The minimum wage should be set as twice the price of a breakfast roll, my local shop a roll is 6 euro so 12 an hour is reasonable

I'm working and it's not much more than minimum wage. I'd have fared a lot better staying on jobseekers, but I don't want to do that. Just like the majority of people in the country.

somewhere

"The minimum wage should be set as twice the price of a breakfast roll, my local shop a roll is 6 euro so 12 an hour is reasonable "

So if a shop does them for 3.99 the wage drops ...

We should have a living wage not a minimum wage

"The minimum wage should be set as twice the price of a breakfast roll, my local shop a roll is 6 euro so 12 an hour is reasonable

So if a shop does them for 3.99 the wage drops ...

We should have a living wage not a minimum wage "

Sure that would be in Donegal... And what use would money be to a Donegal man?

By *hyeyesMan  over a year ago

meath

I thought the minimum wage is the price of 20 cigarettes the world over ?

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

This thread as usual has been an eye opener especially for some of the those who preach the be kind line,and how people have to look after their mental health on here.Seems they are only kind and caring as long as you aren't on the dole it would seem .

I personally think the dole is a necessity for those who find themselves out of work for whatever reason. I certainly would not begrudge anyone the help they need to put food on their table and pay to have a roof over their heads. No one lives the high life on the dole.

Of course there are a few who play the system they are not half as many as people make out though. Most people who are on the dole are there because they have to be not because they want to be.

And why are ye not mad at those who give out zero hour contracts,those who pay the bare minimum with the least amount of hours in a contract.Those that let people go and don't pay redundancy to them.

No it's far easily to look down on those who are struggling and already in a bad place.

"This thread as usual has been an eye opener especially for some of the those who preach the be kind line,and how people have to look after their mental health on here.Seems they are only kind and caring as long as you aren't on the dole it would seem .

I personally think the dole is a necessity for those who find themselves out of work for whatever reason. I certainly would not begrudge anyone the help they need to put food on their table and pay to have a roof over their heads. No one lives the high life on the dole.

Of course there are a few who play the system they are not half as many as people make out though. Most people who are on the dole are there because they have to be not because they want to be.

And why are ye not mad at those who give out zero hour contracts,those who pay the bare minimum with the least amount of hours in a contract.Those that let people go and don't pay redundancy to them.

No it's far easily to look down on those who are struggling and already in a bad place.

"

As I've learned, just because someone's a swinger or likes sex, doesn't stop them from being an arsehole

"This thread as usual has been an eye opener especially for some of the those who preach the be kind line,and how people have to look after their mental health on here.Seems they are only kind and caring as long as you aren't on the dole it would seem .

As I've learned, just because someone's a swinger or likes sex, doesn't stop them from being an arsehole

"

You mean you ever had this idea in the first place?

I like to give the benefit of the doubt... No pun intended

By *ohn400Man  over a year ago

Dublin or anywhere

There should be no such thing as dole,there is allways lots of jobs out there for everybody.We should not be out working to keep lazy people going.

"There should be no such thing as dole,there is allways lots of jobs out there for everybody.We should not be out working to keep lazy people going."

I love it when people have no concept of how a welfare system works. Tell you what John, we'll just take away your healthcare, pension, entitlements to illness benefits and supports in case you lose your job.

That make you happy?

Dublin

"There should be no such thing as dole,there is allways lots of jobs out there for everybody.We should not be out working to keep lazy people going."

That a general sweeping statement there so,your basically saying anyone receiving the dole is lazy. It must be great to live in a world that seems so simple and easy,God forbid if you ever lost your job or were unable to work for some reason. You clearly don't appreciate the fact that some need it to survive,not because they are lazy. Your statement says alot about the type of person you are. Your showing zero sympathy for people who may be struggling to get work or find a job that suits them. This thread really does show what type of attitudes are out there.

Dublin or anywhere

Cant lose my job...work for myself /

"Cant lose my job...work for myself /"

And work can't dry up? You can't have an accident and be unable to work?

Portlaoise

"There should be no such thing as dole,there is allways lots of jobs out there for everybody.We should not be out working to keep lazy people going.

That a general sweeping statement there so,your basically saying anyone receiving the dole is lazy. It must be great to live in a world that seems so simple and easy,God forbid if you ever lost your job or were unable to work for some reason. You clearly don't appreciate the fact that some need it to survive,not because they are lazy. Your statement says alot about the type of person you are. Your showing zero sympathy for people who may be struggling to get work or find a job that suits them. This thread really does show what type of attitudes are out there."

Dublin or anywhere

Everybody using this forum is on the dole / its the same people day in day out thats on here /

"Everybody using this forum is on the dole / its the same people day in day out thats on here /"

Sure, we can well afford it with high rollers like you subsidising our champagne lifestyles

Dublin

"Everybody using this forum is on the dole / its the same people day in day out thats on here /"

You truly are a clown.

I have worked for myself since i was 18 due to illness in family I needed to take 2 years off my savings didn’t last as long as I taught so never think u above using benefits

Portlaoise

I'm not on the dole nor have ever been . Your comments show you up for who you really are...an eejit

Dublin or anywhere

Yes thats my job a "clown"

Excuse me Sir... I'll have you know I am actually just shite at my job thank you

Dublin or anywhere

Go away and get a job the lot of you

"Everybody using this forum is on the dole / its the same people day in day out thats on here /

Excuse me Sir... I'll have you know I am actually just shite at my job thank you"

Whilst not shite at my job, I have mastered the art of doing fuck all and looking busy.

somewhere

"Go away and get a job the lot of you "

I employ people to do mine....is that allowed

somewhere

"Everybody using this forum is on the dole / its the same people day in day out thats on here /

Excuse me Sir... I'll have you know I am actually just shite at my job thank you

Whilst not shite at my job, I have mastered the art of doing fuck all and looking busy."

Good qualification to have

By *iscuits8Man  over a year ago

Meath & Birmingham

I'll have you know I'm a full time Fab tits inspector

"Go away and get a job the lot of you

I employ people to do mine....is that allowed "

I mean he clearly is employing someone to write his posts or this is the greatest showing of lack of self awareness since I used VWE on my user name

"Go away and get a job the lot of you "

Why bother? I'm living in a 3 bed penthouse, bathing in asses milk and living the life of Riley, cause your hard earned taxes are paying for it

Portlaoise

I mean he clearly is employing someone to write his posts or this is the greatest showing of lack of self awareness since I used VWE on my user name"

Or he could be using reverse psychology to get all the fab ladies

Portlaoise

Why bother? I'm living in a 3 bed penthouse, bathing in asses milk and living the life of Riley, cause your hard earned taxes are paying for it"

Only a 3 bed tut tut. You would be better off on the dole lad

Dublin or anywhere

ladies can you stop mailing me for now..im busy at work and cant anser everybody /

Dublin

I mean he clearly is employing someone to write his posts or this is the greatest showing of lack of self awareness since I used VWE on my user name

Or he could be using reverse psychology to get all the fab ladies "

This is like an episode of Take me Out,where everytime he replies more lights go out,only in this case its a block button being pressed.

Portlaoise

Or he could be using reverse psychology to get all the fab ladies

This is like an episode of Take me Out,where everytime he replies more lights go out,only in this case its a block button being pressed."

You're all forgetting the first rule of forum club...

DON'T FEED THE TROLL.

Dublin or anywhere

your the only intellegent one on here -- well done /

I figured that out quite some time ago... Just wanted to see how deep the rabbit hole would go.

Age old method divide and conquer just read through the thread.it actually works,don’t look at what you fellow citizens have or have not but instead,look too the greedy bastards that promise the earth till they add TD too their name

S

Why bother? I'm living in a 3 bed penthouse, bathing in asses milk and living the life of Riley, cause your hard earned taxes are paying for it"

And yet your shoes are still horrible looking…. No taste….

No Class

Why bother? I'm living in a 3 bed penthouse, bathing in asses milk and living the life of Riley, cause your hard earned taxes are paying for it

And yet your shoes are still horrible looking…. No taste….

No Class

"

Very easy to blame some of the most vulnerable sections in society that rely on different types of welfare to live and support their loved ones ....easy targets for people to say their the problem .....get a job bla bla..ignorance is bliss

At the same time selectively ignoring the bigger white collar players that are shafting the system and have created a national debt that some people on their high horses looking down on people on welfare have forgotten about ....usc charge on your weekly earnings come to mind!!!

Begrudging ireland is alive and well

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Very easy to blame some of the most vulnerable sections in society that rely on different types of welfare to live and support their loved ones ....easy targets for people to say their the problem .....get a job bla bla..ignorance is bliss

At the same time selectively ignoring the bigger white collar players that are shafting the system and have created a national debt that some people on their high horses looking down on people on welfare have forgotten about ....usc charge on your weekly earnings come to mind!!!

Begrudging ireland is alive and well

"

The problem was an unregulated financial sector and greedy politicians running wild.

Then WE bail them out and we get the privilege of paying for their fuck ups.

As for the self-employed... I wonder how many declare all their earnings? Tax fraud doesn't hold any moral sway over welfare fraud.

Home

"The problem was an unregulated financial sector and greedy politicians running wild.

As for the self-employed... I wonder how many declare all their earnings? Tax fraud doesn't hold any moral sway over welfare fraud. "

so your ok with 500 million going to wasters who refuse to work every year just on dole payments not including all the other benefits they get which probably quadruples that total

I know people who've never worked.. Families who generation after generation have never worked and there is absolutely nothing preventing them from working only bone idle laziness

"The problem was an unregulated financial sector and greedy politicians running wild.

As for the self-employed... I wonder how many declare all their earnings? Tax fraud doesn't hold any moral sway over welfare fraud. so your ok with 500 million going to wasters who refuse to work every year just on dole payments not including all the other benefits they get which probably quadruples that total "

Except that 500 million doesn't just go to "wasters"

Who the fuck do you think is gonna pay for your pension when you retire?

Someone on welfare will be lucky, and I mean very lucky if their yearly income tops out more than €25k.

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy.

"I know people who've never worked.. Families who generation after generation have never worked and there is absolutely nothing preventing them from working only bone idle laziness "

That is it's own can of worms there. Why would someone coming from that background have any drive to work, when all they see around them is people out to play the system.

It ain't just as plain and simple as people being lazy.

Home

As for the self-employed... I wonder how many declare all their earnings? Tax fraud doesn't hold any moral sway over welfare fraud. so your ok with 500 million going to wasters who refuse to work every year just on dole payments not including all the other benefits they get which probably quadruples that total

Someone on welfare will be lucky, and I mean very lucky if their yearly income tops out more than €25k.

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy."

just a heads up for you 44600 long term unemployed in this country works out in the region of 500 million on dole payments on a yearly basis so either you are one of them or you have no clue what is going on in the world

As for the self-employed... I wonder how many declare all their earnings? Tax fraud doesn't hold any moral sway over welfare fraud. so your ok with 500 million going to wasters who refuse to work every year just on dole payments not including all the other benefits they get which probably quadruples that total

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy.just a heads up for you 44600 long term unemployed in this country works out in the region of 500 million on dole payments on a yearly basis so either you are one of them or you have no clue what is going on in the world "

Of those 44,600 how many are in receipt of a jobseekers payment?

That 500 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what could be claimed in corporation taxes, streamlining of government services, proper use of tax revenues.

How did you guess I was one of them? What rumbled me?

Home

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy.just a heads up for you 44600 long term unemployed in this country works out in the region of 500 million on dole payments on a yearly basis so either you are one of them or you have no clue what is going on in the world

That 500 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what could be claimed in corporation taxes, streamlining of government services, proper use of tax revenues.

How did you guess I was one of them? What rumbled me? "

don't call it jobseekers its dole you need to be looking for a job to call it job seekers. All of that 44600 full time unemployed are receiving payment.

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy."

Might not be lavish but I know during the pandemic when I was leaving home at half 8 in the evening to drive 100km to work a 10 hr shift, and come home at 9 am the next morning it looks pretty lavish to stay at home.

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy.just a heads up for you 44600 long term unemployed in this country works out in the region of 500 million on dole payments on a yearly basis so either you are one of them or you have no clue what is going on in the world

How did you guess I was one of them? What rumbled me? don't call it jobseekers its dole you need to be looking for a job to call it job seekers. All of that 44600 full time unemployed are receiving payment. "

Except it's not. Some are disabled and can't work. Some are on transition payments. Some are cut off from work due to age.

Slightly more nuanced than "all people on the dole are lazy scroungers".

Somewhere in Co. Down

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy.

Might not be lavish but I know during the pandemic when I was leaving home at half 8 in the evening to drive 100km to work a 10 hr shift, and come home at 9 am the next morning it looks pretty lavish to stay at home.

"

Is that the same as those who were on furlough so and the thousands of those people who lost their jobs.

I like so many others also worked right through covid doing ridiculous hours and days on. Not once did I ever think that those on the dole or on furlough were better off than me.I was and am just damn happy I had (and have) a job.

This whole them against us baffles me.

And there is nothing lavish about the stress and worry that people have when they wonder if they will have food for the week or when the winter comes how will they afford to keep warm.That sounds far from lavish and loving life to me anyhow.I know several people who have been in this position and yes they were looking for work and it took its toll on them mentally as well.Some lost their homes so ye far from lavish and not something to be envious of. Well not in my book anyhow .

Belfast

I had a conversation recently with someone who told me I was very lucky that I don't have any debt and then went on to list all the loans they had and how they were actively looking to move from their £35k pa job to one paying a "proper" wage so that they could actually have a life again.

I had to laugh. Lucky my arse. I can only dream of a £35k salary and not being in debt is the result of unbelievable sacrifice and scrimping for 40 years.

The last time I claimed dole was for 3 months when I was 18 but if I was entitled to additional benefits would I claim them? Too fucking right I would!

There will always be people playing the system but there are a hell of a lot more who don't have any option but to claim welfare just to survive.

There are people on here who were happy to feather their own nests during the various lockdowns before closing their businesses and laying off staff without redundancy and are in the happy position of being able to work a couple of days a week while their former staff are struggling to make ends meet.

Nobody claiming welfare is living high on the hog and neither is anyone on minimum wage.

€12 might be an insult to some but it's 16% of the total jobseekers allowance up here and could mean all the difference to many.

Spot on. €12 may not seem much, but to many on a fixed income, it can mean an awful lot.

By *rkkidMan  over a year ago

Cork

Imo €12 isn't enough. Should of been a minimum of €20 increase..

job seeker/ pensioner/ carer/ disabled.

Thousands of people and I reckon those that can work are seeking to get back into the workforce. Only a small amount would rather not..

Supposedly this will cost 1 billion.

Tax from cigarettes (this year) is estimated to be 1 billion also..

Is that the same as those who were on furlough so and the thousands of those people who lost their jobs.

I like so many others also worked right through covid doing ridiculous hours and days on. Not once did I ever think that those on the dole or on furlough were better off than me.I was and am just damn happy I had (and have) a job.

This whole them against us baffles me.

And there is nothing lavish about the stress and worry that people have when they wonder if they will have food for the week or when the winter comes how will they afford to keep warm.That sounds far from lavish and loving life to me anyhow.I know several people who have been in this position and yes they were looking for work and it took its toll on them mentally as well.Some lost their homes so ye far from lavish and not something to be envious of. Well not in my book anyhow . "

I know people who were laid off and they struggled, I have been there when my son was small we did without a lot of stuff had only ever 2 sun holidays , so I jnow what's its like to be on both ends of the scale however I'm also aware of the scroungers and the fraudsters.

I dont begrudge anyone a help from social welfare, unfortunately our press and government seem to just try and play each other against each other, there's uproar everytime the civil service get an increase but as someone in the civil service the last 1% Inc was worth a fiver to me

Home

How did you guess I was one of them? What rumbled me? don't call it jobseekers its dole you need to be looking for a job to call it job seekers. All of that 44600 full time unemployed are receiving payment.

Except it's not. Some are disabled and can't work. Some are on transition payments. Some are cut off from work due to age.

"

no that is the number of the able bodied people in this country who refuse to work. Stop trying to make excuses for wasters. They should be given 3 months to find a job and if they don't they are cut off in full, no benefits. You can call me cruel if you want but why should my hard earned tax go to someone who refuses to work.

How did you guess I was one of them? What rumbled me? don't call it jobseekers its dole you need to be looking for a job to call it job seekers. All of that 44600 full time unemployed are receiving payment.

no that is the number of the able bodied people in this country who refuse to work. Stop trying to make excuses for wasters. They should be given 3 months to find a job and if they don't they are cut off in full, no benefits. You can call me cruel if you want but why should my hard earned tax go to someone who refuses to work. "

And you're getting this information from where?

Where's the indication that they refuse to work?

I wouldn't call you cruel. Tell you what, if you're ever out of work for more than 3 months, you should sign off and tell the DSP that you're not entitled to receive that benefit. Fair enough?

This notion of people living lavish lifestyles on the dole is by and large a fantasy.just a heads up for you 44600 long term unemployed in this country works out in the region of 500 million on dole payments on a yearly basis so either you are one of them or you have no clue what is going on in the world "

check your maths

no that is the number of the able bodied people in this country who refuse to work. Stop trying to make excuses for wasters. They should be given 3 months to find a job and if they don't they are cut off in full, no benefits. You can call me cruel if you want but why should my hard earned tax go to someone who refuses to work. "

3 months? I was unemployed for longer than that and applied for job after job with no replies half the time or told I was too experienced etc. I was made feel like crap everytime I went to rhe dole office and yet I was on a civil service panel. So 3 months isn't the solution.

no that is the number of the able bodied people in this country who refuse to work. Stop trying to make excuses for wasters. They should be given 3 months to find a job and if they don't they are cut off in full, no benefits. You can call me cruel if you want but why should my hard earned tax go to someone who refuses to work.

3 months? I was unemployed for longer than that and applied for job after job with no replies half the time or told I was too experienced etc. I was made feel like crap everytime I went to rhe dole office and yet I was on a civil service panel. So 3 months isn't the solution. "

Sadly, many civil servants are total wankers who've never worked outside of the public sector and have little comprehension of how the real world operates.

By *oseredWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

Home

3 months? I was unemployed for longer than that and applied for job after job with no replies half the time or told I was too experienced etc. I was made feel like crap everytime I went to rhe dole office and yet I was on a civil service panel. So 3 months isn't the solution. "

i have no bother with people who are unemployed after losing their job because I know they are willing to work and they should be looked after, its the person who has never worked is the people I have a problem with.

Dublin

"I'd rather live in a society that has a safety net for people that need it that gets taken advantage of by a small minority. Than live in one that doesn't.

More could absolutely be done to root out welfare fraud and to help those who are not incentivised to work but.we also have much bigger problems to deal with"

Dublin

"I don't know how any of you who are against social welfare think that people can survive on it. I'm on it at the minute, new job lined up soon thankfully but let me tell you it's not easy surviving on just over 200e a week when you have rent and bills and other expenses.

As for the people complaining about "scroungers" - what does it say about this country if it makes sense to stay on the dole than get a job. Maybe you should be pointing those fingers at the government and the shite minimum wage and the ridiculous cost of living in this country."

Best of luck in the new job.

3 months? I was unemployed for longer than that and applied for job after job with no replies half the time or told I was too experienced etc. I was made feel like crap everytime I went to rhe dole office and yet I was on a civil service panel. So 3 months isn't the solution.

Sadly, many civil servants are total wankers who've never worked outside of the public sector and have little comprehension of how the real world operates. "

Yep I agree some wouldn't get a job outside the civil service, not a clue of the world outside the civil service , thankfully that's changing

"

Yep I agree some wouldn't get a job outside the civil service, not a clue of the world outside the civil service , thankfully that's changing "

Not changing fast enough tbh

Newry Down

I am delighted to have initiated this thread as it has elicited a diverse range of opinions; my main point is that a twelve Euro increase at this time is inadequate; costs are rising at a phenomenal rate, especially the cost of basics such as food.

Thank everyone for your postings; very informative.

"

Yep I agree some wouldn't get a job outside the civil service, not a clue of the world outside the civil service , thankfully that's changing

Not changing fast enough tbh "

Takes time... There's not enough people leaving and they have trouble recruiting the right people

The Government gave €100 million to the people of this Country against energy costs , the bottom line is they gave a cheque of €100 million to the energy companies who the government are share holders in ..go figure.

"

Takes time... There's not enough people leaving and they have trouble recruiting the right people "

It's not only difficult to recruit but also retain people from the private sector within civil service. Two completely different mindsets and the salaries are not very comparable..

Maybe a recession will provide a clamour of people looking for a recession proof job

No body should be judged on how there life is going.Some have it better than others and that’s how it will always be.Just like another thread on here nobody knows exactly what people are going through too survive and not only that what ever else they have too deal with,be it with family or extended family don’t judge support as much as possible.I was told once if you have nothing good too say then it’s best too say nothing night fabbers live love and enjoy, life’s too short

If you can be anything, be kind.

If you can't be kind; be quiet.

» Add a new message to this topic