FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > SCHOOL DAYS...

SCHOOL DAYS...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *easingTim OP   Man 46 weeks ago

Loughlinstown

Right guys, gals, TV's, TS's...

With the Junior and Leaving Cert kicking off tomorrow, thought it would be nice to reminisce about the good aul days

So, what were you like at school?

What bands did you like? ("Blur or Oasis??!")

What memory stands out from your Inter or leaving cert or school in general?

Me, I'm still having that poxy recurring dream that I've my History exam in a week and I haven't a feckin tap done (especially as I never studied history for my leaving

Let's be having yours

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *razySexyCoolCorkWoman 46 weeks ago

Cork

I was always up to mischief at school. Always having the craic. Probably could have been a doctor if I tried hard enough but I'm not doing too badly career wise so no regrets

By (user no longer on site) 46 weeks ago

I’m a gynecologist now so it’s all good

By *panishRebelMan 46 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

"I was always up to mischief at school. Always having the craic. Probably could have been a doctor if I tried hard enough but I'm not doing too badly career wise so no regrets "

I just put my head down and avoided as much work as I could except for the things I did like. I didn't cause trouble, but I didn't co-operate.

I was supposed to be studying for the leaving Cert, but I was teaching myself to juggle and painting pictures instead.

By *aptain Caveman41Man 46 weeks ago

Home

Was one of the lads but the shy one and trance was my music and I still love it today

"I’m a gynecologist now so it’s all good"

Although it does get uncomfortable when her sister comes round

By *panishRebelMan 46 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

"I’m a gynecologist now so it’s all good

Although it does get uncomfortable when her sister comes round"

By *ofistimacatedMan 46 weeks ago

cavan town

I did GCSEs and A levels in the north. Aced the former, drink and discos and women distracted me from the latter.

Taste in music hasn't changed much. Definitely oasis. And mostly 70s rock. Went through a phase of scooter Thank God that was just a phase

By *easingTim OP   Man 46 weeks ago

Loughlinstown

I was quiet in class as I just didn't see the need or point of a shy teen participating (or even paying attention) but then stick me on a football pitch and I was a mouthy little terror with a mission

My mum nearly collapsed of shock when I told her I was going to college but was a late bloomer and managed to pull off a half decent Leaving Cert, go to college and was happy out

"I did GCSEs and A levels in the north. Aced the former, drink and discos and women distracted me from the latter.

Taste in music hasn't changed much. Definitely oasis. And mostly 70s rock. Went through a phase of scooter Thank God that was just a phase "

Acid Acid

By *rish_GuyMan 46 weeks ago

Foxford

O JASUS

I never really liked school or education in general, for some reason. So I hated exams. I wasn't very big into music or anything else either. I was 1 of them quite, student's, that didn't have many friends, tried to keep to meself, didn't do any sports, etc. I did like woodwork, while in School alright. That didn't last while in my adult life. I could go on, but I wouldn't.

The big thing for me while in the early stages of 3rd year, was I was leaving school after the junior cert. I did go back for the start of 4th year for about 2 ta 3 week's. Left after that & went working.

I did O Levels and dropped out of my A Levels after a month.

I was pretty studious, worked hard, got good results. Did well at sports too, both athletics and team sports. Knocked the girls' 100m record out of the park and won the senior house shield for athletics. I got on well with my peers and teachers and never got into any bother

Music-wise I was into The Cure, The Damned, Bananarama, Fun Boy Three, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and Madness.

I wasn't one of the cool kids and I wasn't one of the geeky ones either - I always felt a little bit on the periphery. Generally though my school days were happy

I hated school .. I wasn't the brightest.. but school n college ain't for everyone .. but you can't learn good manners n a personality

By *rish_GuyMan 46 weeks ago

Foxford

"I hated school .. I wasn't the brightest.. but school n college ain't for everyone .. but you can't learn good manners n a personality"

Was the same like that then. More or the sameway now in my Adult life.

By *dfabMan 46 weeks ago

Dunboyne

3 schools and multiple leaving certs. Bit of a mischievous little fecker, though never violent or a bully but I studied later at the school of life and not doing too bad now.

By *razySexyCoolCorkWoman 46 weeks ago

Cork

"I did GCSEs and A levels in the north. Aced the former, drink and discos and women distracted me from the latter.

Taste in music hasn't changed much. Definitely oasis. And mostly 70s rock. Went through a phase of scooter Thank God that was just a phase "

Fecking loved Scooter

By *ushin realityCouple 46 weeks ago

swords

Blur or Oasis......

Nah was Madness or The Specials in my day......managed to get to 5th year but had enough and took my sexy ass away from school but still managed a college education lol

Ber x

By *ealitybitesMan 46 weeks ago

Belfast

Went from having to walk through the most heavily fortified part of Europe twice a day for primary school to a whole different experience in grammar school.

I wasn't one of the smart ones or the cool ones and had to work for everything I got.

Passed my O levels and as I was about to sit my A levels I became collateral damage in a fallout between 2 of my teachers. As a result nobody passed that particular subject that year as one teacher deliberately gave us all the wrong exam.

Never had a cross word with a teacher in my 7 years there until I knocked that particular one on his arse for what he did.

Rather than punish me the school asked the University to hold all our places for a year and we all had to repeat that entire year.

I went to a different school to do that but it was pointless as the university didn't honour their written agreement when I rocked up the following year with the grades they wanted.

I turned my back on education that day and have never had any interest in studying or upskilling.

I see that time as 8 wasted years and have very few happy memories.

I despised both Oasis and Blur and they were long after I left school anyway.

The only music I can remember listening to was the Police.

Him: As an American, there was no such thing as the Junior or Leaving Cert. If you passed your classes, you went on to the next level. If a person wanted to go to uni, they would sit the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). I was the floater kid that mixed with most people. I was into RUSH, Ozzy, Boston, and most all classic rock.

Her: She's from Dublin and couldn't have cared less about school, only passing her O-levels by the grace of God and prayers from her mother. She was the girl riding the horse bareback up and down Crumlin Road in her school uniform. She was into Boyzone, Westlife and Take That.

By *ildGroverMan 46 weeks ago

rathfarnham

I was in the class just below the brain boxes in school

Happy Mondays before Blur

Leaving cert memory - realising I’d got my timing wrong in my accounting exam and missing out on an A as a result….

Life would have been different (not necessarily better though!) if I hadn’t.

I always think about the little things like that, the butterfly effect, that have such an impact on the bigger picture.

By *ateniteCouple 46 weeks ago

Youghal

Mr here, caught the back end of the Christian Brothers. Hated school, never had any really inspiring teachers, I remember them now as just showing up and floating through their own day to get to the last bell.

I knew what 3 subjects I needed just a pass in to get the job I wanted so concentrated on those.

Unfortunately thise memories have stuck and I still have a disdain for the school system and that shows in my dealings with my kids school.

I was in a great gang of friends though, we were messers but nothing malicious. We had a mix of grungers and techno heads so got the best of both worlds.

Figured out early on the school was a system and done only what I needed to get through it, didn’t pay much attention. Finished school and done the leaving cert, can’t remember what I got but didn’t need it for the career I wanted and now have! Was a dance music head, I was the one giving homemade CDs to everyone of the songs I downloaded off Limewire and Napster. I was a very quiet and shy teenager which I wish was different but what can ya do! All in all it was alright!!

By *itemeagainMan 46 weeks ago

Wexford

"Went from having to walk through the most heavily fortified part of Europe twice a day for primary school to a whole different experience in grammar school.

I wasn't one of the smart ones or the cool ones and had to work for everything I got.

Passed my O levels and as I was about to sit my A levels I became collateral damage in a fallout between 2 of my teachers. As a result nobody passed that particular subject that year as one teacher deliberately gave us all the wrong exam.

Never had a cross word with a teacher in my 7 years there until I knocked that particular one on his arse for what he did.

Rather than punish me the school asked the University to hold all our places for a year and we all had to repeat that entire year.

I went to a different school to do that but it was pointless as the university didn't honour their written agreement when I rocked up the following year with the grades they wanted.

I turned my back on education that day and have never had any interest in studying or upskilling.

I see that time as 8 wasted years and have very few happy memories.

I despised both Oasis and Blur and they were long after I left school anyway.

The only music I can remember listening to was the Police. "

Way to lighten the mood

By *ichael McCarthyMan 46 weeks ago

Lucan

School was great ould craic, apart from this time of the year with exams and shit when you'd prefer to be at home making silage. You were always praying the weather wouldn't improve enough for that until you got the holidays.

Bands... Hmm, a bit of everything nearly.. From the wank bank came The Bangles, oh my, then Queen of course, followed by a random bunch of stuff such as Def Leppard, Police, Del Amitri, Undertones, Human League, Planxty, Thompson Twins, Wolfe Tones, Barleycorn, and so many more. Good times.

By *antra MassageMan 46 weeks ago

Old bog road

I didnt like school. My teachers were a violent lot. Angry men, from rural Ireland, forced to live celibate lives. I liked languages, and got A's in them, but aimed for 41% in everything else. I spent my May days wandering around Dublin parks, waiting for school "closing" so I could go home. My happiest day ever was my last day at school. In recent years, I've been going to night classes, or college courses, every Autumn, Winter. I do it out of curiousity. I can't remember the music I was into.

By *ustBoWoman 46 weeks ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

School was okay it certainly wasn't the best days of my life,whoever made that line up was away with the fairies.

I left 3 months into my leaving cert year to start working full time and never regretted it.

The music I listened too was gnr,Def leppard,bon Jovi,pearl jam,temple of the dog,sound garden.And some pop like the bangles etc thrown in for good measure.

By *oxyvixen99Woman 46 weeks ago

Newtownabbey

Eurgh I hated school with a passion! I did GCSE and A Levels but couldn't wait to leave. Did my degree in late 20s whilst working

Bands I loved and still do at that time were Nirvana and Pearl Jam with loads of cock rock like Def Leppard, Whitesnake etc

By *ildarekinkstersCouple 46 weeks ago

kinkytown

I was the skateboarding metal head/punk reciting green day,korn and Metallica lyrics with a different coloured hair every other month. Lost count of how many times I got sent home over it. I was quiet though and happy enough.

By * la carteCouple 46 weeks ago

Dublin

I attended 6 different schools (2 primary, 4 secondary) and hated all of them. It didn't matter where I attended, I was always different due to my family's background and never fit in.

Intercert memories are painful as I was involved in a car crash on the morning of the first exam - a car crash which we shouldn't have survived - I still sat all my exams.

I was a Chris de Burgh fan - sure who would have wanted to be friends with me?!?

By *he zephyrCouple 46 weeks ago

The Sol

"I attended 6 different schools (2 primary, 4 secondary) and hated all of them. It didn't matter where I attended, I was always different due to my family's background and never fit in.

Intercert memories are painful as I was involved in a car crash on the morning of the first exam - a car crash which we shouldn't have survived - I still sat all my exams.

I was a Chris de Burgh fan - sure who would have wanted to be friends with me?!? "

Me! Patricia the Stripper - what a class song

By * la carteCouple 46 weeks ago

Dublin

"I attended 6 different schools (2 primary, 4 secondary) and hated all of them. It didn't matter where I attended, I was always different due to my family's background and never fit in.

I was a Chris de Burgh fan - sure who would have wanted to be friends with me?!?

Me! Patricia the Stripper - what a class song "

Yessssssss!

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS 46 weeks ago

Dublin

I was into grunge. Had a band and all!

Wexford

"I was the skateboarding metal head/punk reciting green day,korn and Metallica lyrics with a different coloured hair every other month. Lost count of how many times I got sent home over it. I was quiet though and happy enough. "

Ahhhhh mmmmmm wasn't half enought of ye with me in school

Wexford

I was a Chris de Burgh fan - sure who would have wanted to be friends with me?!? "

I would ... infact id of probably went out me way

By *ot so needyMan 46 weeks ago

Galway

I was the prick you couldn't sit still was always in trouble never for anything really bad and would stand up for lads who were being bullied got in a few fights over this but loved embarrassing the bullys.I was good friends with a few of my teachers after I left school but they hated me while I was there.i didn't study at all but still got a decent lwleaving cert. I had a so called friend that never talked to me again because I got more points than him and he studied his ass off.i was into sport so thats all I ever wanted to do.

By *osepearlWoman 46 weeks ago

bray

I had absolutely different education than Irish people, I was going to USSR school we only had state exams ( no junior or leaving cert) no body knew what going to be in exam as it was life tv broadcast from Moscow , exam paper arrived in an envelope sealed and stamped. I can use a lot of school knowledge every day , so glad I learned a lot. If kids didn’t understand the subject it wasn’t child fault, the school would ask from teachers to make sure all class understands it ( except if child has a learning difficulties then they go to special needs classes). I would say comparing with now education in Ireland I had better school education than in Ireland.

» Add a new message to this topic