FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Banning smartphones

Banning smartphones

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man 30 weeks ago

Tipperary

In the classroom. Going to be discussed at cabinet. Do you agree? Also is there a need for kids as young needing a smartphone?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 30 weeks ago

"In the classroom. Going to be discussed at cabinet. Do you agree? Also is there a need for kids as young needing a smartphone? "

Miss tattoo here. Personally I think kids after a certain age need a phone. Specially if walking home alone and all that. They aren't just banning it in classroom but school altogether

By *ilthyNightsCouple 30 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Im pretty sure school ban phones in class time anyway, so I'm not sure if we need a law to enforce it

By *ildarekinkstersCouple 30 weeks ago

kinkytown

Our two oldest aren't allowed their phones during school time. If caught with their phones their taken till school is over. Don't see why it's being discussed in cabinet when it's usually a school rule in the first place.

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man 30 weeks ago

Tipperary

"Our two oldest aren't allowed their phones during school time. If caught with their phones they’re taken till school is over. Don't see why it's being discussed in cabinet when it's usually a school rule in the first place. "
it must not be a school rule everywhere.

By *electableicecreamMan 30 weeks ago

The West

My eldest has and needs his phone. School rules say no phones out in school. I can't imagine a school where that isn't the rule

I wonder what the impetuous is to enshrine that in law.

By *anifestoMan 30 weeks ago

dublin and wexford

My young one was telling me in the UK the students have to put their phone in some kind of a pouch that jams the signal during class time.

Fully agree with class time 'ban'.

Haven't come to a conclusion if its a good or bad thing to ban at break times and between classes.

By *eductively_SweetWoman 30 weeks ago

wexford

"Our two oldest aren't allowed their phones during school time. If caught with their phones their taken till school is over. Don't see why it's being discussed in cabinet when it's usually a school rule in the first place. "

Similar to where my son goes. Only difference is the parent/guardian has to collect it from the office

By *ildAtlanticSecretCouple 30 weeks ago

around Clare, Galway, Limerick

Ban phones on school grounds never mind the classrooms,

By *ildarekinkstersCouple 30 weeks ago

kinkytown

"Our two oldest aren't allowed their phones during school time. If caught with their phones they’re taken till school is over. Don't see why it's being discussed in cabinet when it's usually a school rule in the first place. it must not be a school rule everywhere. "

Any school I know it's the rule. Asked family about it before. Neuce has kids in school. Said it's the rules there. Brothers lot the same. Two eldest are in different schools. Same rules there. Doubt in this day and age that it is different anywhere.

By *3nsesMan 30 weeks ago

Dublin

A school rule that involves take someones property against their would be on very shaky legal grounds. I'd say that's the reason it's being discussed at cabinet.

By *riendly_fun_guyMan 30 weeks ago

Dublin

The primary school my son went to has a secondary school attached and that school does not enforce the ban.

Pictures and videos of the teachers being posted on social media channels - it’s shocking and then videos of teachers trying to control the class as the kids and teachers know they are being recorded…

Luckily my son has left and gone to another school where we as parents had to sign up to no

Phones in the school phones are allowed but must be in their locker before school and not take. Out till after..

By *asual777Man 30 weeks ago

i travel all over

It’s a straightforward primary post primary thing IMO. Zero need in primary school . Excuse of ‘well all their friends have one ‘ doesn’t cut the mustard . Primary schools will ban them

One by one like they did in greystones. Kids simply don’t have the tools at that age to cope with being excluded from a SC group for example.

In post primary you can’t not have one . The school interacts with the child using it and they’re out later and further away from home .

By *ichael McCarthyMan 30 weeks ago

Lucan

"A school rule that involves take someones property against their would be on very shaky legal grounds. I'd say that's the reason it's being discussed at cabinet. "

If that were true the implication would be that a school can't bring in a ban on kids bringing in televisions, xboxes, or caravans. I have a suspicion that they could ban those things easily enough though so it's not the property ownership that's the issue.

Also, the school wouldn't be taking someone's property, they just wouldn't be allowed have it with them, which is already the case in any school I know, apart from some who allow kids in the leaving cert cycle to use them in limited circumstances.

By *eralt80Man 30 weeks ago

cork

Surely we have the technology to block phones from working in specific areas. Let the students have their phones but they can’t make calls, text or access the internet while in a certain radius

"In the classroom. Going to be discussed at cabinet. Do you agree? Also is there a need for kids as young needing a smartphone?

Miss tattoo here. Personally I think kids after a certain age need a phone. Specially if walking home alone and all that. They aren't just banning it in classroom but school altogether "

Walking home from school? Or do you mean older kids, teenagers, at night?

Phones weren’t a thing when I was school age… do you really think things are any different now from a child safety perspective? Just curious

By *r_Insatiable666Man 30 weeks ago

Cork

How can you expect teachers to enforce this rule outside of class time? I had my phone for all of secondary and yeah I'd be on it in some classes but I don't think we ever had an incident of recording teachers. Quite the opposite, there was videos of kids fighting used as evidence.

But even in my day, my first phone couldn't really do half the stuff you can do on an IPhone ect.

The West

"In the classroom. Going to be discussed at cabinet. Do you agree? Also is there a need for kids as young needing a smartphone?

Miss tattoo here. Personally I think kids after a certain age need a phone. Specially if walking home alone and all that. They aren't just banning it in classroom but school altogether

Walking home from school? Or do you mean older kids, teenagers, at night?

Phones weren’t a thing when I was school age… do you really think things are any different now from a child safety perspective? Just curious"

Things have certainly improved. I didn't have a phone during school years either but as a parent my life is much easier when I can check where my kid is and know that they are ok.

For them it gives them more freedom to go further afield and know they can call for a lift home or ask for money if they are stuck.

The population has increased quite a bit since most adults on here were in school. There's more cars on the road and instances of every kind of risk and crime have naturally increased. That's just numbers.

My kids bank account is also connected to mine. So he has financial independence and support as well as a hotline that helps keep him safe. That gives him a lot more freedom than I got at that age.

As an example. Him and five of his teenage friends (all under 15) booked themselves into a very nice sushi restaurant and went after school with no adults present. They all payed their own way and no one used cash. When he paid I got notification on my phone at I knew where he was and how much he was spending.

Another example. My son has had some health issues. He was sick in school and asked to go home. The school denied him and didn't inform us. He texted me and I came to get him. He still got in trouble for using his phone but he really was quite sick and did need to go home. So he was right.

By *og-ManMan 30 weeks ago

somewhere

So ban phones but my youngest has been using an ipad in school for the last 5 years and can message from that anyway

The West

"So ban phones but my youngest has been using an ipad in school for the last 5 years and can message from that anyway

"

Same. They are heavily restricted in our school but my guy figured out he can use Pinterest to message me.

I'm proud of his hacking skilla

"So ban phones but my youngest has been using an ipad in school for the last 5 years and can message from that anyway

"

Exactly. In the email they sent they said one of main reason for banning them is that phones slows down their learning ability social skills etc. But for me tablets are just as bad

Both of my children need to access their phones in school for submitting work during study periods, and Google Clasrooms are still very much a thing post Covid. My oldest is doing Art A level and uses his phone to access source materials. If schools are to ban the use of phones then they need to ensure that the pupils don't actually require Internet access just to complete the work they've been set

Dublin

"A school rule that involves take someones property against their would be on very shaky legal grounds. I'd say that's the reason it's being discussed at cabinet.

If that were true the implication would be that a school can't bring in a ban on kids bringing in televisions, xboxes, or caravans. I have a suspicion that they could ban those things easily enough though so it's not the property ownership that's the issue.

Also, the school wouldn't be taking someone's property, they just wouldn't be allowed have it with them, which is already the case in any school I know, apart from some who allow kids in the leaving cert cycle to use them in limited circumstances. "

I was more referring yo comment from people saying the issue of mobiles in class is already dealt with as most schools confiscate. Schools shouldn't confiscate them and doing so puts them and a teacher in a iffy legal position.

The question of whether schools could ban bringing certain property into school is an interesting one. I don't think it would be as clear cut as they can do that. In relation to mobile phones, I would say that most parents would always their child to be able to bring their mobile phone into school with them so that can be contactable.

The part I don't understand is why a kid isn't just kicked out of class when caught using their phone and then suspended and expelled if they repeated keep doing it.

The West

Exactly. In the email they sent they said one of main reason for banning them is that phones slows down their learning ability social skills etc. But for me tablets are just as bad "

It beats lugging around a two stone schoolbag.

All my kids school work is digital. The write in note pads when they need to buy an the books and coursework are on MS teams. Works really well.

By *og-ManMan 30 weeks ago

somewhere

Exactly. In the email they sent they said one of main reason for banning them is that phones slows down their learning ability social skills etc. But for me tablets are just as bad

All my kids school work is digital. The write in note pads when they need to buy an the books and coursework are on MS teams. Works really well."

We had to buy the ipad for €700 and then all the books for every subject anyway to get the codes to use the software

The West

All my kids school work is digital. The write in note pads when they need to buy an the books and coursework are on MS teams. Works really well.

We had to buy the ipad for €700 and then all the books for every subject anyway to get the codes to use the software

"

Same. The iPad is good for a few years though and we only had to pay for three books

By *astelloWoman 30 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

No need for kids to have phones in school l completely agree. Outside of school makes sense.

By *oo32Man 30 weeks ago

tipperary

"A school rule that involves take someones property against their would be on very shaky legal grounds. I'd say that's the reason it's being discussed at cabinet.

Also, the school wouldn't be taking someone's property, they just wouldn't be allowed have it with them, which is already the case in any school I know, apart from some who allow kids in the leaving cert cycle to use them in limited circumstances.

I was more referring yo comment from people saying the issue of mobiles in class is already dealt with as most schools confiscate. Schools shouldn't confiscate them and doing so puts them and a teacher in a iffy legal position.

The question of whether schools could ban bringing certain property into school is an interesting one. I don't think it would be as clear cut as they can do that. In relation to mobile phones, I would say that most parents would always their child to be able to bring their mobile phone into school with them so that can be contactable.

The part I don't understand is why a kid isn't just kicked out of class when caught using their phone and then suspended and expelled if they repeated keep doing it. "

Wasn't there a bill passed 5 or 6 years ago on banning phones,and teachers being able to confiscate them

By * la carteCouple 30 weeks ago

Dublin

Also, the school wouldn't be taking someone's property, they just wouldn't be allowed have it with them, which is already the case in any school I know, apart from some who allow kids in the leaving cert cycle to use them in limited circumstances. "

I just spoke with 2 mums with 2 different experiences at my children's secondary school who do not permit the use of phones unless it's for school work with the explicit instruction of the teachers.

Phones are confiscated if this rule is broken.

Though my daughter who accesses the special needs unit often tells me she's on her phone with permission, and not for school work, which quite bugs me .

The first mother has a son with certain neurodiverse issues and he can be quite scatter brained. Apparently he forgot to take out the one ear pod while he was listening to music during maths which is apparently permitted but had switched off his phone. Was seen by a teacher and the phone is confiscated for 7 working days. He's not even permitted to bring it home in the evening. I, as a mother, sure wouldn't have that, as there's a very good reason why my children are even allowed phones. Mother says she's not bothered, probably wasn't the first time so serves him right.

The second mother was for the first time ever called by her son to be collected as he was sick - children in this instance are expected to present to their teacher or the office for parents to be called. The child in question got away with a warning because it was the first time he broke the rule.

If this is the kind of shite cabinet ministers talk about in government, it's no wonder our country is in the state it's in . Do they want us to ask permission where we go for a dump next?! That's how important I rate for this to be legislated.

Every school will have their rules, we had to sign the rules, as did our children. You don't like the rules, send your children elsewhere.

Teachers have a problem with being filmed during school hours - get onto the principal to change the rules

Dublin

The part I don't understand is why a kid isn't just kicked out of class when caught using their phone and then suspended and expelled if they repeated keep doing it.

Wasn't there a bill passed 5 or 6 years ago on banning phones,and teachers being able to confiscate them"

No, it was a members Bill raised in the Seanad but never made it past that. It was not a Bill proposer by the Government.

By *ind PaddyMan 30 weeks ago

South County Dublin

Unfortunately I don't have children, so it doesn't really effect me. I see why they should be banned in classrooms.

For the Cabinet to discuss this minor issue really says it all about this Government. There are much more important issues to be discussed. Children's Hospital delay, over crowding in A & E, closing down A & E in rural hospital. Then there is the housing crisis, some landlords must be making a fortune. I could go on.

By *eart-shaped-foxMan 30 weeks ago

Limerick, Clare, Tipp

Phones are banned in most schools and classrooms, the main issues seem to be outside of school where a lot of kids have unrestricted access to the maddest shite online.

Miss tattoo here. Personally I think kids after a certain age need a phone. Specially if walking home alone and all that. They aren't just banning it in classroom but school altogether "

Yes,our kids have just gotten their first phones on starting secondary for the purpose of staying in touch with them if necessary, 3 in for needing to be picked up somewhere,in cases where they have missed a bus, etc.

They're also a tracker on them.

Phones are not allowed in the classrooms,but they can use them in designated areas during breaks.

If they are aught using them in class,the phones are taken from them, and the parents notified to come and collect the phone, as it is not returned to the student at end of class.

All this was clearly set out on enrolment and school policy,none of which I have an issue with.

By *oghunter33Woman 30 weeks ago

on the hill NordWest of

You wouldn't think that this has top priority to be discussed by the cabinet as we have no bigger problems to be dealt with.

Not saying it isn't an issue but surely every school has already their no-phones-policy in place.

The West

[Removed by poster at 28/10/23 09:55:23]

By *ilverfox74Man 30 weeks ago

dublin offaly

According to my girl it’s not that you can’t use the phone as what happens in most schools but you can’t have them on your possession and also on school outings. They need to be left in a box or something. No phones on their person is what is been debated from what I can understand.

I'm assuming there will be exceptions? My daughter has type 1 and I'm able to track her blood numbers through her phone. Surely this will be allowed to continue.

Even though with this said I believe this motion is a distraction tactic to get people talking about something else for a while...

I'll just pop on my tin foil hat again

» Add a new message to this topic