The West

What is an Alpha? Male or Female

Is this an attractive quality?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *om RedMan 22 weeks ago

Galway

"What is an Alpha? Male or Female

Is this an attractive quality?"

Alpha to me his strong, successful and able to take control and make decisions when it matters. Whether it’s attractive in a man I will leave to the females contributors.

If confident women are alpha then I find it attractive

By *rRiosMan 22 weeks ago

Dublin

[Removed by poster at 03/01/24 15:52:59]

By *affa31Woman 22 weeks ago

Galway

A pile of shite and no

So many self declared alphas make that their whole personality and it’s not the slightest bit attractive.

By *rish In DubaiMan 22 weeks ago

Carlow

Is this an attractive quality?

Alpha to me his strong, successful and able to take control and make decisions when it matters. Whether it’s attractive in a man I will leave to the females contributors.

If confident women are alpha then I find it attractive "

Do they not have any bad qualities?

By *oodOmensfor2Couple 22 weeks ago

Ennis

To me an Alpha is someone who naturally leads without even trying, who is quietly confident and people look towards for guidance and advice. Also, someone who can be in control without dominating others.

Mrs

By *iscuits8Man 22 weeks ago

Dublin/Birmingham

Self professed alpha males - usually hiding a massive amount of insecurities behind the front they put on, generally awful people and absolutely unbearable to be around

Ennis

"A pile of shite and no

So many self declared alphas make that their whole personality and it’s not the slightest bit attractive. "

Those aren't true alphas

By *hoenixagamTV/TS 22 weeks ago

Rural

An alpha male is like the pig that tries to bully his way to get the most out of the trough.

He's usually a weak individual who lacks confidence and cover's it in arrogance and self righteousness.

A beta male is similar in weakness to the alpha, very sneaky and simps a lot never speaks up for himself just in case someone doesn't like him because he's insecure enough already.

Betas will cheat more and their prime directive is to get laid, they come across as so caring and empathetic but they're really pathetic.

Now the sigma man, he's the most attractive and honest. When he's single he's not really bothered looking to find someone. They usually find him because he's happy out, confident in his resolve always looking for solutions and he'll die to protect his loved ones.

The alpha and beta won't challenge him, because he's too mysterious and as sharp as a samurai sword with wit, social intelligence and analytics.

He thinks before he leaps and always taking inventories.

John Wick would be a sigma

Rural

"A pile of shite and no

So many self declared alphas make that their whole personality and it’s not the slightest bit attractive. "

Plenty of so called straight alphas trying to get my knickers off lol

Not a chance, FFS I'm man enough to wear a dress, they should be man enough to admit they're bi lo lol

By *electableicecream OP   Man 22 weeks ago

The West

Not much consensus here.

Charismatic leader Vs Insufferable egomaniac

Rural

"Not much consensus here.

Charismatic leader Vs Insufferable egomaniac "

Lol nice observation I'd say you're a sigma

By *rRiosMan 22 weeks ago

Dublin

I’m a Sigma male, iykyk!

Seriously though, people who self identify as an Alpha are a bit like people who self identify as funny for me. “I’m mad funny me so I am!” Like, you can’t tell me that, someone else can or you can demonstrate it…

But I would imagine the is a large overlap between alpha males and sociopaths. Just my two cents mind

If you want an alternative view, Alphas are seen as leaders and that is an attractive trait.

By *ildarekinkstersCouple 22 weeks ago

kinkytown

It's funny. So many self professed alphas want to be Dee's little bitch on a more fetish related site

By *alvin.Man 22 weeks ago

Cork/Dublin

Alpha = Toxic. Pass

Has anyone seen the easter eggs in the shops yet

By *ealitybitesMan 22 weeks ago

Belfast

She was a right cunt in TWD.

By *og-ManMan 22 weeks ago

somewhere

"Alpha = Toxic. Pass

Has anyone seen the easter eggs in the shops yet "

Dont be bringing Toxic into it ....she's grand

The West

"Alpha = Toxic. Pass

Dont be bringing Toxic into it ....she's grand "

We know who the alpha is that relationship

By * la carteCouple 22 weeks ago

Dublin

It's the first letter in the Greek alphabet.

In the animal kingdom it's the dominant animal/human in a particular group. Wolves are classic examples of this hierarchy - the alpha male and female with their offspring, which will also have certain designated roles in the pack.

The alphas show leadership qualities, looking after their pack.

But on Fab, I just roll my eyes at those calling themselves an alpha male

The West

Wasn't that whole alpha wolf theory thoroughly debunked? As far as I know the guy made the whole thing up.

Primates and big cats for sure often have a clear male alpha if they live in groups. Elephants have a matriarch...

Do humans though?

Like is the Alpha male thing just a construct bourne out of our male dominated hierarchical society?

Because as far as I can see why qualities that a human alpha male can have a woman can have too. Those gender roles aren't interchangeable in the animal kingdom.

By *ohannonMan 22 weeks ago

Louth / Meath

"To me an Alpha is someone who naturally leads without even trying, who is quietly confident and people look towards for guidance and advice. Also, someone who can be in control without dominating others.

Mrs "

This is the purest definition! Aggressive assertiveness is not an alpha.

Ennis

"

Because as far as I can see why qualities that a human alpha male can have a woman can have too. Those gender roles aren't interchangeable in the animal kingdom."

There are definitely some animal species that have a female counterpart to the alpha male. They're simply called differently.

By *rialbyfire1235Man 22 weeks ago

South KK

Alpha in the Manosphere is really a horrible bully with all that it entails. Anyone who describes themselves as an Alpha or sometimes Bull - avoid like then plague.

I encourage everyone, all ages, to read Men who hate women by Laura abates. Eye opening about all this manoshpere and misogynistic hate that is out. I had no idea it was so bad until I read that.

Dublin

"Wasn't that whole alpha wolf theory thoroughly debunked? As far as I know the guy made the whole thing up.

Primates and big cats for sure often have a clear male alpha if they live in groups. Elephants have a matriarch...

Do humans though?

Like is the Alpha male thing just a construct bourne out of our male dominated hierarchical society?

Because as far as I can see why qualities that a human alpha male can have a woman can have too. Those gender roles aren't interchangeable in the animal kingdom."

What aspect of wolf alpha theory was debunked?

They're generally a family unit, no? With the alpha pair usually being the breeding pair with their offspring.

Galway

"Wasn't that whole alpha wolf theory thoroughly debunked? As far as I know the guy made the whole thing up.

Do humans though?

Because as far as I can see why qualities that a human alpha male can have a woman can have too. Those gender roles aren't interchangeable in the animal kingdom.

They're generally a family unit, no? With the alpha pair usually being the breeding pair with their offspring.

"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-the-alpha-wolf-idea-a-myth/

Essentially a family unit but the male in the breeding pair is no more an alpha than the father in a human family. No fights for dominance, just the kids nodding and smiling when their dad tells them to do something.

The West

Do humans though?

"

The term originated from this dude Schenkel with the idea that the alpha wolf was the strongest, most fearsome and most dominant in the pack which is now known be untrue.

The terms breeding male, breeding female or just adult male etc are preferred now as Alpha is considered to be so misleading about how wolf family units function.

By *aptain Caveman41Man 22 weeks ago

Home

I am more of a delta

The West

The idea of Alpha and Beta males doesn't seem to be supported in psychology or sociology either. At least my my, albeit very limited, reading.

It's almost like someone superimposed the model observations from primates and society just ran with it.

Dublin

Do humans though?

The term originated from this dude Schenkel with the idea that the alpha wolf was the strongest, most fearsome and most dominant in the pack which is now known be untrue.

The terms breeding male, breeding female or just adult male etc are preferred now as Alpha is considered to be so misleading about how wolf family units function. "

Right, now I understand where you're coming from.

I actually worked in an interpretive facility with a resident wolf pack in the late 90s so I had to learn a lot about wolves and their biology and behaviour to carry out my job as tour guide.

I always associated the term alpha within a wolf pack as that of it being the breeding pair within a family unit because generally there is only one breeding female and male. I never associated the term alpha with aggressive behaviour as such - certainly not within a pack.

My association with the term alpha is therefore positive rather than negative. Because the alphas are natural leaders who look out for their family who depend on them to survive - so all positive traits.

That is what alpha means to me.

Wolves are very similar to what a traditional human family would be - with the parents at the head of the table and their offspring raised to be able to survive, learning skills to support the existence of their future family.

The West

That's awesome. I would love to spend any time around wolves.

It's interesting that the zoological (is that the right term?) understanding of Alpha behaviour in Wolfpack's is so at odds with society's in general and what gets mapped from that into the zeitgeist.

By *ickin2Man 22 weeks ago

Kilkenny

The impact that the Wolves had on the local habit and the general environment in Yellowstone national Park after they were reintroduced there was spectacular

Dublin

"That's awesome. I would love to spend any time around wolves.

It's interesting that the zoological (is that the right term?) understanding of Alpha behaviour in Wolfpack's is so at odds with society's in general and what gets mapped from that into the zeitgeist."

It was awesome!

I think wolves had a bad rep to start with so if transferring a (misconstrued/misinformed) behaviour from that to the human race, it's not surprising it comes with negative connotations.

Dublin

"The impact that the Wolves had on the local habit and the general environment in Yellowstone national Park after they were reintroduced there was spectacular "

By *asual777Man 22 weeks ago

i travel all over

[Removed by poster at 03/01/24 22:16:53]

By *asual777Man 22 weeks ago

i travel all over

It can sometimes be a euphemism for a cunt

By *tand and DeliverMan 22 weeks ago

the wicked west

While there are concepts of this in animals, I find it quite often that this term is used by problematic people, both men and women. Its usually always used when talking about themselves, rather than others.

the wicked west

Do humans though?

The Alpha wolf thing was debunked yea

Alphas are like doms - they always seem to self identify

By * tale of 2 citiesCouple 22 weeks ago

Belfast

"Alpha = Toxic. Pass

Dont be bringing Toxic into it ....she's grand

We know who the alpha is that relationship "

Since we spend most of our time together naked in bed nobody actually gets to wear the trousers

By *xcited And CuriousCouple 22 weeks ago

Dublin

"A pile of shite and no

Great to hear that perspective from a woman. For me, an alpha male - whether self-professed or perceived so by others - is typically greedy, arrogant, selfish, cocky, a bully, inconsiderate, disrespectful...

Die Hard 1 has two blazing alphas, both portrayed as all of the above - Deputy Police Chief Dwayne T Robinson, and Holly McClane's colleague Harry Ellis.

John McClane and Sgt Al Powell (like John Wick as mentioned) were sigmas.

I regard Andrew Tate and his ilk as alphas.

"To me an Alpha is someone who naturally leads without even trying, who is quietly confident and people look towards for guidance and advice. Also, someone who can be in control without dominating others.

Mrs "

To me that description fits a sigma better than an alpha.

"An alpha male is like the pig that tries to bully his way to get the most out of the trough.

He's usually a weak individual who lacks confidence and cover's it in arrogance and self righteousness.

A beta male is similar in weakness to the alpha, very sneaky and simps a lot never speaks up for himself just in case someone doesn't like him because he's insecure enough already.

Betas will cheat more and their prime directive is to get laid, they come across as so caring and empathetic but they're really pathetic.

Now the sigma man, he's the most attractive and honest. When he's single he's not really bothered looking to find someone. They usually find him because he's happy out, confident in his resolve always looking for solutions and he'll die to protect his loved ones.

The alpha and beta won't challenge him, because he's too mysterious and as sharp as a samurai sword with wit, social intelligence and analytics.

John Wick would be a sigma "

^^^

This... case closed.

If I was a woman, I'd find a sigma infinitely more attractive than an alpha.

I don't think either alphas or betas could convincingly impersonate a sigma, so he should be easy enough to spot.

Rural

"A pile of shite and no

So many self declared alphas make that their whole personality and it’s not the slightest bit attractive.

Great to hear that perspective from a woman. For me, an alpha male - whether self-professed or perceived so by others - is typically greedy, arrogant, selfish, cocky, a bully, inconsiderate, disrespectful...

Die Hard 1 has two blazing alphas, both portrayed as all of the above - Deputy Police Chief Dwayne T Robinson, and Holly McClane's colleague Harry Ellis.

John McClane and Sgt Al Powell (like John Wick as mentioned) were sigmas.

I regard Andrew Tate and his ilk as alphas.

To me an Alpha is someone who naturally leads without even trying, who is quietly confident and people look towards for guidance and advice. Also, someone who can be in control without dominating others.

Mrs

To me that description fits a sigma better than an alpha.

An alpha male is like the pig that tries to bully his way to get the most out of the trough.

John Wick would be a sigma

^^^

This... case closed.

If I was a woman, I'd find a sigma infinitely more attractive than an alpha.

I don't think either alphas or betas could convincingly impersonate a sigma, so he should be easy enough to spot. "

He's usually the guy who's going about his business, walks into a bar and isn't leering like a lighthouse, grinning and swallowing his almost dry spit with a short circuit overloaded with the fascination of a kid in a sweet shop or pair of terriers in a room full of rats.

I knew a man once he'd go to the bar or club in three days of stubble, a heavy metal tshirt, jeans and boots and at the end of the night he'll go home alone. In between he'd get attention from attractive looking woman, have them falling over laughing and be quite friendly. But his modus operandi was to head out and have a good time.

He wasn't gay either, he just didn't give a shit.

He's still single and living the dream.

The West

I have to say I find the whole Sigma male thing as equally reductive to the limitlessness and variety of human male potential as the rest of the greek letters. And as equally made up.

I'm sure a lot of men would like to be John Wick though

Rural

"I have to say I find the whole Sigma male thing as equally reductive to the limitlessness and variety of human male potential as the rest of the greek letters. And as equally made up.

I'm sure a lot of men would like to be John Wick though "

Every man has his own abilities, limitations, creativity, world views, potential, boundaries and infinite potential ain't something I'd to strive for.

If that's the case I'd be forever trying to prove something, and the things I enjoy and appreciate would forever be incomplete.

A guy once told me to keep it simple stupid, it's called the KISS principle.

And bhouy have I made monumental fuck up's and still capable of making boo buu out of a situation lol

The West

I just kind of find that using the Greek letters to define male archetypes is a bit like star signs but with less to look forward to.

Because if you're not a Sigma then you're deficient.

Galway

"I just kind of find that using the Greek letters to define male archetypes is a bit like star signs but with less to look forward to.

Because if you're not a Sigma then you're deficient.

"

Agreed on this. It’s just another label that means fuck all.

I had never heard of Sigmas so if someone described themselves as one, I’d be rolling my eyes and moving on to the next.

By *eijaWoman 22 weeks ago

City Centre

Mrs "

Exactly this

The Alphas that usually insist they are Alphas are usually far from it

B x

By *roticStaminaMan 22 weeks ago

Carrickmacross

I think Alfa, Beta ect. are all GOOD. Thats a decision you need to make yourself. Everyone has different experiences and lots of judgement is thrown around. Bullies, narracists come in every size and shape on every end. What do we call the people who stand up to these bullies? We don't need names but thrive to be the best person you can be in life. Treat others well but bow to no one. Respect others but never listen to disrespect. The word Alfa can be described in many many ways eg. A leader, a guide, a thinker, noble, domineering, liberator and protector. Yes there is also a toxic side just like everything else.Its the individual who decides what road to take but they can not speak for everyone on one word or any other words. Question everything twice and aim to enjoy your journey.

the wicked west

"I have to say I find the whole Sigma male thing as equally reductive to the limitlessness and variety of human male potential as the rest of the greek letters. And as equally made up.

I'm sure a lot of men would like to be John Wick though "

Very much agree. It'd all pseudo psychology without an ounce of scientific rigour.

How many different categories wogkd you need for all the different combinations of characteristics of people. Just like those personality tests etc

Sure most people can't even agree on what is alpha, beta, and now this sigma craic. None of it has any real validated meaning when there is no consensus or well founded science/research on any of it

the wicked west

"I think Alfa, Beta ect. are all GOOD. Thats a decision you need to make yourself. Everyone has different experiences and lots of judgement is thrown around. Bullies, narracists come in every size and shape on every end. What do we call the people who stand up to these bullies? We don't need names but thrive to be the best person you can be in life. Treat others well but bow to no one. Respect others but never listen to disrespect. The word Alfa can be described in many many ways eg. A leader, a guide, a thinker, noble, domineering, liberator and protector. Yes there is also a toxic side just like everything else.Its the individual who decides what road to take but they can not speak for everyone on one word or any other words. Question everything twice and aim to enjoy your journey. "

Would that be an Alfa Romeo or another model?

The West

Can I still be John Wick though?

Dublin

"Can I still be John Wick though?"

That would have to include a change of username. I'd never remember otherwise

Rural

"Can I still be John Wick though?"

Just be careful where you dip your Wick, you might have to pay for the oil

By *antra MassageMan 22 weeks ago

Old bog road

Do humans though?

The terms breeding male, breeding female or just adult male etc are preferred now as Alpha is considered to be so misleading about how wolf family units function.

Right, now I understand where you're coming from.

I actually worked in an interpretive facility with a resident wolf pack in the late 90s so I had to learn a lot about wolves and their biology and behaviour to carry out my job as tour guide.

I always associated the term alpha within a wolf pack as that of it being the breeding pair within a family unit because generally there is only one breeding female and male. I never associated the term alpha with aggressive behaviour as such - certainly not within a pack.

My association with the term alpha is therefore positive rather than negative. Because the alphas are natural leaders who look out for their family who depend on them to survive - so all positive traits.

That is what alpha means to me.

Wolves are very similar to what a traditional human family would be - with the parents at the head of the table and their offspring raised to be able to survive, learning skills to support the existence of their future family."

Fascinating.

By *lueLotusWoman 22 weeks ago

Cork

"It can sometimes be a euphemism for a cunt

"

No judgement I'd just love to know where the cunt aspect is coming from for you... For me I'm enjoying reclaiming the word cunt and I love referring to my pussy as my cunt sometimes ...also I love the ru Paul drag race reference to charisma uniqueness nerve and talent when referencing the cunt so would just like to hear your perspective on that

By (user no longer on site) 16 weeks ago

To me, Alpha is someone who, throws me down, verbally belittles, spits on... then directs me into submission with a slap & their dick, then chucks in a pop quiz at the end to sumerize my training, then scores me with a review. Insisting other Alphas to beta test their work. - But thats probably just cause im a slut. ha

[Removed by poster at 17/02/24 15:43:35]

"I think Alfa, Beta ect. are all GOOD. Thats a decision you need to make yourself. Everyone has different experiences and lots of judgement is thrown around. Bullies, narracists come in every size and shape on every end. What do we call the people who stand up to these bullies? We don't need names but thrive to be the best person you can be in life. Treat others well but bow to no one. Respect others but never listen to disrespect. The word Alfa can be described in many many ways eg. A leader, a guide, a thinker, noble, domineering, liberator and protector. Yes there is also a toxic side just like everything else.Its the individual who decides what road to take but they can not speak for everyone on one word or any other words. Question everything twice and aim to enjoy your journey. "

you should question ur sexuality and aim for my ass

By *ilthyNightsCouple 16 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"It can sometimes be a euphemism for a cunt

No judgement I'd just love to know where the cunt aspect is coming from for you... For me I'm enjoying reclaiming the word cunt and I love referring to my pussy as my cunt sometimes ...also I love the ru Paul drag race reference to charisma uniqueness nerve and talent when referencing the cunt so would just like to hear your perspective on that "

This post is so fucking hot

By *ursecretmischiefCouple 16 weeks ago

The West

Mrs "

Very much this.

Also, I think it should go without saying, that if you have to call yourself an "Alpha" its highly unlikely that you are!

By *aid backMan 16 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

If someone has to describe themselves as alpha then they are not alpha.

By *eard and BoobsCouple 16 weeks ago

Portstewart

Personally anyone who describes themselves to us as an alpha will be told best of luck but not a chance in hell.

if you could be rascist against Alpha's youd all defo fit the mold haha. yous musta hated teen wolf proper looool

By *ileen_cdTV/TS 16 weeks ago

Dublin

Mrs "

100%. I have seen such people, and even I, with my innate disrespect for authority, felt respect for them and would have followed them if it suited me.

A self proclaimed Alpha is an oxymoron.

By *ilderMan 16 weeks ago

dublin

Alpha = A*shole

By *antra MassageMan 15 weeks ago

Old bog road

I don't think I'd ever consider using the word Alpha to describe myself. I think it comes from 1970's, early psychology studies of males. Probably an outdated term, given how much we've learned about human nature in recent decades. Like the word Dom/me in kink culture,I think it's misused, and lots of people like to think they're Dom/me or Alpha. Both are a state of mind, not a kink.

By *ilthyNightsCouple 15 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"I don't think I'd ever consider using the word Alpha to describe myself. I think it comes from 1970's, early psychology studies of males. Probably an outdated term, given how much we've learned about human nature in recent decades. Like the word Dom/me in kink culture,I think it's misused, and lots of people like to think they're Dom/me or Alpha. Both are a state of mind, not a kink. "

It's from the animal kingdom, and isn't really applicable to us humans who don't have the same social structures as other primates who DO have an alpha male who is dominant over a social group. I guess it could be argued that some societies with an all powerful leader who dominates all others might fit the criteria. In Putin's Russia for example where he kills his competitors and totally dominates. North Korea perhaps. On fab? Just no lol.

» Add a new message to this topic