FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Automatic organ donor

Automatic organ donor

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *og-Man OP   Man 13 weeks ago

somewhere

A Bill which means everyone automatically becomes an organ donor unless they opt out will pass through the Oireachtas today.

Whats your opinion

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *affa31Woman 13 weeks ago

Galway

A great move. People can still opt out but so many people intend on opting in and never do.

somewhere

In my case once I'm brain dead they can harvest anything they want from me if it helps someone else but thats my choice and I've carried cards since I was an adult

As a parent losing a child must be the most painful thing ever....and a difficult subject to raise if you're a doctor

I'd imagine there's a consolation in knowing your child has helped others

By *astelloWoman 13 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Completely agree. As my best friend life has been so impacted by waiting for a kidney transplant for the past few years. The absolute torture and impact of the dialysis on her home, work, family and personal life. If my organs were any use to someone after my death.. Id say work away... Im yours....

By *aseylee324Couple 13 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

"A great move. People can still opt out but so many people intend on opting in and never do. "

Same as

By *outhDublinMan86Man 13 weeks ago

shankill

Great move.

By *ilderMan 13 weeks ago

dublin

Great, it means I can stop carrying around my donor card

By *lice..wonderlandWoman 13 weeks ago

Dublin

I think it's a great move.

By *oodOmensfor2Couple 13 weeks ago

Ennis

I think it's a great idea. Like others have said already, many want to opt in but for whatever reason never get around to it.

By *aid backMan 13 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

It's about time. So many people die on organ waiting lists

By *ursecretmischiefCouple 13 weeks ago

The West

"A great move. People can still opt out but so many people intend on opting in and never do. "

I fall into this category, I'm not a card carrier, but when I'm dusted they can take whatever is worth taking!

By *otownkid1967Man 13 weeks ago

Portlaoise

I think it would be a great idea.

By *panishRebelMan 13 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

Does this bill make a distinction between those under 16 and over 16…?

By *ilthyNightsCouple 13 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

About time!

By *ofusplusCouple 13 weeks ago

Limerick

"A great move. People can still opt out but so many people intend on opting in and never do.

I fall into this category, I'm not a card carrier, but when I'm dusted they can take whatever is worth taking!"

They then need to get consent from your next of kin hours after they have lost their loved one, they're probably not thinking straight and could well say no.

This move means they don't need to put families through all of that

somewhere

"Does this bill make a distinction between those under 16 and over 16…?

"

It assumes automatic consent so families have to explain why they want to opt out rather than opt in

By *ogladyWoman 13 weeks ago

The bog

I donated my son's organs and to be honest it has help me cause the way I see it now his heart is Still beating and lungs are Still breathing his just on a new adventure..also the knowledge that he gave four people a second chance of life makes me so proud of him..

By *rBandMrsGCouple 13 weeks ago

Kilkenny

It's about time this bill is happening, should have happened years ago!

somewhere

"I donated my son's organs and to be honest it has help me cause the way I see it now his heart is Still beating and lungs are Still breathing his just on a new adventure..also the knowledge that he gave four people a second chance of life makes me so proud of him.."

You told me that before...its a lovely way of looking at his second life

By *exyScientistsCouple 13 weeks ago

Castlebar

Excellent news...

By *adger BrocMan 13 weeks ago

Co. Cork

No problem with this.

I offered to be a live kidney donor for a friend but wasn't a match. He received a kidney from a deceased donor and now lives a very full life and is extremely grateful to his donor and their family for giving him the ultimate gift.

My organs will probably worn out by the time I get to pass them on.....I hope.

(BTW I currently have a dodgy gallbladder which I would gladly give away but I happily realise it's only a minor inconvenience compared to someone waiting on a transplant).

By *ossie2000Man 13 weeks ago

Boyle

Think it’s great news

By *s LollyWoman 13 weeks ago

The pub then supermacs ...

"I donated my son's organs and to be honest it has help me cause the way I see it now his heart is Still beating and lungs are Still breathing his just on a new adventure..also the knowledge that he gave four people a second chance of life makes me so proud of him.."

That's amazing Lindy

By *rinibooWoman 13 weeks ago

clare

My husband was the recipient of double lungs and a heart in 2000 and a single lung a few years later . I know many that have died waiting on transplants . I think this is one of the best things the government have done .

By *rinibooWoman 13 weeks ago

clare

"No problem with this.

I offered to be a live kidney donor for a friend but wasn't a match. He received a kidney from a deceased donor and now lives a very full life and is extremely grateful to his donor and their family for giving him the ultimate gift.

(BTW I currently have a dodgy gallbladder which I would gladly give away but I happily realise it's only a minor inconvenience compared to someone waiting on a transplant). "

Get the dodgy gallbladder out . You won’t know your self got it done 2 years ago .

By *rish_GuyMan 13 weeks ago

Foxford

"I donated my son's organs and to be honest it has help me cause the way I see it now his heart is Still beating and lungs are Still breathing his just on a new adventure..also the knowledge that he gave four people a second chance of life makes me so proud of him..

That's amazing Lindy"

Isn't it just. Good on you Lindy.

Foxford

It's more than likely the best thing that this Government will do & about time aswell. I personally don't actually have an donor card. I do have it on my licence. If something was to happen to me. Hopefully I'll be able to help someone, when my time is up.

Foxford

"No problem with this.

(BTW I currently have a dodgy gallbladder which I would gladly give away but I happily realise it's only a minor inconvenience compared to someone waiting on a transplant).

Get the dodgy gallbladder out . You won’t know your self got it done 2 years ago . "

"Yank it out & tell it to Feckoff"

By *eard and BoobsCouple 13 weeks ago

Portstewart

Not everyone is suitable for them to donate there organs upon death so this is a great idea in principle but not very practical unfortunately

By *hickthighscheekysmileWoman 13 weeks ago

Galway

That is so special lindy x amazing thing to do

By *eijaWoman 13 weeks ago

City Centre

Love that this has finally happened. I have always carried an organ donor card ...isn't it amazing when someone can give another person a second chance at life!

B x

By *outhDublinMan86Man 13 weeks ago

shankill

This is an amazing thing to read. It’s cheered me up.

By *igertigerCouple (MM) 13 weeks ago

cc hotel

[Removed by poster at 22/02/24 18:49:24]

By *eard and BoobsCouple 13 weeks ago

Portstewart

Due to medications that boobs takes for her MS she isn't allowed to donate her organs, those who have had chemo are not allowed to donate and for types of co controlled m3ds are not allowed to donate either but we certainly show gratitude to those and there family members who wish to do so it's just unfortunate that there are those who cant

By *hiteKniteMan 13 weeks ago

Nearby

My organ is available to anyone that wants to make use of it

By *lamingo57Woman 13 weeks ago

Carrick

This is very beautiful. Well done for making what I can only imagine to be a very difficult decision 3

I'm all for it. If I'm brain dead, take anything useful and donate the rest to science.

Co. Cork

"No problem with this.

Get the dodgy gallbladder out . You won’t know your self got it done 2 years ago . "

Hope to have the surgery soon

By *otownkid1967Man 13 weeks ago

Portlaoise

Wow, that is amazing.

By *ind PaddyMan 13 weeks ago

South County Dublin

That was very kind of you. I hope the legislation gets passed. First positive thing this Government will have done.

By *ollypop9Woman 13 weeks ago

wouldn't you like to know

Fair play.

My parents and I had the same thoughts when my brother passed years ago.

He was actually waiting on a heart transplant at the time and only in his late teens.

His other organs helped many.

By *etergemmaCouple 13 weeks ago

South Dublin Area

Its a brilliant idea.

I do however expect some sort of Catholic Church nonsense to object to it for whatever reason.

Cunts

Co. Cork

"Its a brilliant idea.

I do however expect some sort of Catholic Church nonsense to object to it for whatever reason.

Cunts"

I am probably the last person to be an apologist for the Catholic Church, or any religious body for that matter, but the Catechism of the Catholic Church states that, 'Organ donation after death is a noble and meritorious act and is to be encouraged as an expression of generous solidarity'

Just saying.

By *raladsCouple 13 weeks ago

athlone westmeath

Great job

By *udding RoseWoman 13 weeks ago

Somewhere out there

I think it's fantastic, bring it on I say!!! It's going to be a great law, it's a necessity with so many people needing organ donors!! I carry a donor card at the moment but with it being done automatically, it's waaay better!!!

By *udding RoseWoman 13 weeks ago

Somewhere out there

"I donated my son's organs and to be honest it has help me cause the way I see it now his heart is Still beating and lungs are Still breathing his just on a new adventure..also the knowledge that he gave four people a second chance of life makes me so proud of him..

That was very kind of you. I hope the legislation gets passed. First positive thing this Government will have done."

Of course it will get passed, it's a great thing!!

By *ford dudeMan 13 weeks ago

County

Absolutely the way to go. I remember the old paper driving licence had a box on the back you could tick for it. Fully in favor. If I go I won't be needing them and if it can help someone else then why not!

By *m316.3Man 13 weeks ago

Dublin

Brilliant idea, I just find myself thinking “how did anyone in this government get it right for once”

By *ildarekinkstersCouple 13 weeks ago

kinkytown

It's a great idea and I see no issues with it. Not like I'll need the organs after I die anyway

By *unlinguyMan 13 weeks ago

South Dublin

"Does this bill make a distinction between those under 16 and over 16…?

It assumes automatic consent so families have to explain why they want to opt out rather than opt in "

Great move however if someone if someone wants to opt out of remove their child from that list there should be absolutely no explaining what so ever. It should be ..remove me or child from the list and simple as that.

By *ombikerMan 13 weeks ago

the right side of the river

"A Bill which means everyone automatically becomes an organ donor unless they opt out will pass through the Oireachtas today.

Whats your opinion

"

I have seen nothing about the process to opt out? So will it be compulsory by default

By *eralt80Man 13 weeks ago

cork

When they brought in the new card type driving licence a few years ago, I thought you had to opt out of organ donation too, or am I wrong

By *sBossWoman 13 weeks ago

Cork

Amazing to be able to do this in your grief,beautiful to know people live because of him,sorry for your loss x

By (user no longer on site) 13 weeks ago

I'd say my organs are past their best at this age and after all the years of abuse I've given them

So I've donated my whole body for research. My other half did this too when he died

Definitely in favour of opt out instead of opt in

By *og-Man OP   Man 12 weeks ago

somewhere

"I'd say my organs are past their best at this age and after all the years of abuse I've given them

So I've donated my whole body for research. My other half did this too when he died

Definitely in favour of opt out instead of opt in"

May I ask what happened to his body when he died

Did you have a funeral or a service for him without an actual body present

Does the researchers let you know when they are finished with the body

Do you get him back

Apologies for the questions but I don't know about this or how it works

By *mmmm300Woman 12 weeks ago

cork

"A Bill which means everyone automatically becomes an organ donor unless they opt out will pass through the Oireachtas today.

A great idea, saving of lives

Whats your opinion

"

By *ollypop9Woman 12 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 25/02/24 15:19:01]

By *ollypop9Woman 12 weeks ago

"I'd say my organs are past their best at this age and after all the years of abuse I've given them

Definitely in favour of opt out instead of opt in

May I ask what happened to his body when he died

Did you have a funeral or a service for him without an actual body present

Does the researchers let you know when they are finished with the body

Do you get him back

Apologies for the questions but I don't know about this or how it works "

I knew someone who done this and there was a service without a coffin. Then, I think it was about a year later, the family got the body back and they held a funeral ceremony.

» Add a new message to this topic