FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Assisted Dying

Assisted Dying

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *udding Rose OP   Woman 8 weeks ago

Somewhere out there

This was the first topic that was talked about on the RTE1 news tonight (07/03/24) The following is what they hope to achieve!!

Assisted Dying

Diagnosed with an illness that is incurable, irreversible, progressive and advanced.

Receive assistance to end their life, if they have 6 months to live - or sometimes twelve months.

A time limit is likely to be set at twelve months for neurodegenerative conditions.

Assisted suicide, involving the person who wants to die taking the final action to end their life by administering a medical substance.

Euthanasia would apply, involving the doctor taking the final action to end life, when the person wanting to die is physically incapable of administering.

What does everyone think, please discuss! No arguments please, not everyone will have the same opinion!

Also, I won't be replying to everyone individually, don't have enough time for that!

On ye go with the debate!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 8 weeks ago

I really want to see terminally I'll folk being given more control over their time left, having watched my other half die from cancer

Can't see it happening here any time soon though

Somewhere out there

"I really want to see terminally I'll folk being given more control over their time left, having watched my other half die from cancer

Can't see it happening here any time soon though "

But they're talking about it which is a great thing. I wish it existed 11 years ago...... my mother had MS and ended up in a wheelchair, she'd have welcomed Assisted Dying then for sure.

Somewhere out there

"I really want to see terminally I'll folk being given more control over their time left, having watched my other half die from cancer

But they're talking about it which is a great thing. I wish it existed 11 years ago...... my mother had MS and ended up in a wheelchair, she'd have welcomed Assisted Dying then for sure."

My mother died nearly 11 years ago, forgot to mention that.

By *ombikerMan 8 weeks ago

the right side of the river

Is this just the thin end of the wedge?

"Is this just the thin end of the wedge?"

What wedge?

Somewhere out there

Explain?

By *oredmarried2022Man 8 weeks ago

wicklow

If it was me, and I had the option, when told I had a terminal illness, I’d want it. I wouldn’t want to have my family under that sort of pressure. My life, my choice.

By *rnobbyMan 8 weeks ago

kerry

I 100% agree with assisted death, if someone has very poor quality of life in general due to some disorder etc or a limited time to live due to an aggressive disease I think it should be optional. Why should people suffer

By *ind PaddyMan 8 weeks ago

South County Dublin

I just hope this disorganised government lasts so this legislation can be signed into law by the President.

Somewhere out there

"If it was me, and I had the option, when told I had a terminal illness, I’d want it. I wouldn’t want to have my family under that sort of pressure. My life, my choice. "

It's horrendous on the family that have to deal with this, very upsetting for all! People that have such a debilitating illness should be able to die with dignity.

It would also remove the horrendous conversation around 'will you help me' ...which can currently end in prosecution

South County Dublin

But they're talking about it which is a great thing. I wish it existed 11 years ago...... my mother had MS and ended up in a wheelchair, she'd have welcomed Assisted Dying then for sure."

My wife has primary progressive Multiple Sclerosis and I know she will end up in a wheelchair which is something she does not want. Hope the legislation is passed.

Somewhere out there

"I 100% agree with assisted death, if someone has very poor quality of life in general due to some disorder etc or a limited time to live due to an aggressive disease I think it should be optional. Why should people suffer"

People shouldn't have to suffer such pain, an option should be given.

Somewhere out there

"I just hope this disorganised government lasts so this legislation can be signed into law by the President. "

Hopefully!

South County Dublin

Please explain what do you mean.

By *ildarekinkstersCouple 8 weeks ago

kinkytown

Currently arguing with Muppets on twitter about this. They think it's sinister etc. funnily enough the same accounts I'm arguing with post racist shite. My view is basically that if an ill person with no chance of surviving want this let them. I know if I'm in that boat at some stage of my life that I'd want to go out with an ounce of dignity.

South County Dublin

"Currently arguing with Muppets on twitter about this. They think it's sinister etc. funnily enough the same accounts I'm arguing with post racist shite. My view is basically that if an ill person with no chance of surviving want this let them. I know if I'm in that boat at some stage of my life that I'd want to go out with an ounce of dignity. "

Somewhere out there

"It would also remove the horrendous conversation around 'will you help me' ...which can currently end in prosecution "

Definitely, not nice to have to go to court because you assisted somebody to die who is in absolute pain.

Somewhere out there

But they're talking about it which is a great thing. I wish it existed 11 years ago...... my mother had MS and ended up in a wheelchair, she'd have welcomed Assisted Dying then for sure.

My wife has primary progressive Multiple Sclerosis and I know she will end up in a wheelchair which is something she does not want. Hope the legislation is passed."

My mother had MS for over 40 years, she ended up in a wheelchair in the last 12 years of her life, it's a horrible, horrible illness, I feel your pain over your wife. xx

wicklow

"If it was me, and I had the option, when told I had a terminal illness, I’d want it. I wouldn’t want to have my family under that sort of pressure. My life, my choice.

It's horrendous on the family that have to deal with this, very upsetting for all! People that have such a debilitating illness should be able to die with dignity. "

100% they really shouldn’t have to deal with that. I mean no one wants to die, but if the choice is pain and suffering over assisted help, I’d take the help every day of the week

By *adger BrocMan 8 weeks ago

Co. Cork

I agree with the principle of assisted ending of life in properly controlled circumstances.

I am sure there will be robust debate prior to any change in legislation but we are a reasonably humane society so I am confident the correct the decisions will be made.

Somewhere out there

"Currently arguing with Muppets on twitter about this. They think it's sinister etc. funnily enough the same accounts I'm arguing with post racist shite. My view is basically that if an ill person with no chance of surviving want this let them. I know if I'm in that boat at some stage of my life that I'd want to go out with an ounce of dignity. "

Definitely, that's how I'd want to go too if I was in such debilitating pain!

Somewhere out there

"If it was me, and I had the option, when told I had a terminal illness, I’d want it. I wouldn’t want to have my family under that sort of pressure. My life, my choice.

It's horrendous on the family that have to deal with this, very upsetting for all! People that have such a debilitating illness should be able to die with dignity.

100% they really shouldn’t have to deal with that. I mean no one wants to die, but if the choice is pain and suffering over assisted help, I’d take the help every day of the week"

Somewhere out there

"I agree with the principle of assisted ending of life in properly controlled circumstances.

I am sure there will be robust debate prior to any change in legislation but we are a reasonably humane society so I am confident the correct the decisions will be made."

I agree!

By *om RedMan 8 weeks ago

Galway

I’m really conflicted about this because I cared for my terminally ill mother for years. What she went through and was put through, if I did it to an animal I would jailed.

The conflict is how do we prevent terminally ill people feeling obligated to take the decision, to remove the burden on their caregivers

By *zippyMan 8 weeks ago

Wexford

"I 100% agree with assisted death, if someone has very poor quality of life in general due to some disorder etc or a limited time to live due to an aggressive disease I think it should be optional. Why should people suffer

People shouldn't have to suffer such pain, an option should be given. "

Those that are sound of mind and refuse treatment, this is the option they really want, they don't want to prolong the painful inevitable on themselves or their loved ones, Jesus it's so hard to watch,

Esther Rantzen bringing more attention to euthanasia now.

Somewhere out there

"I’m really conflicted about this because I cared for my terminally ill mother for years. What she went through and was put through, if I did it to an animal I would jailed.

The conflict is how do we prevent terminally ill people feeling obligated to take the decision, to remove the burden on their caregivers "

I doubt the terminally ill people will feel it's an obligation, if they're in excruciating pain, they would want to have the option to die in peace and dignity. I'd imagine their doctor would have to do various tests to see how far gone they are before agreeing to Assisted Dying.

Somewhere out there

"I 100% agree with assisted death, if someone has very poor quality of life in general due to some disorder etc or a limited time to live due to an aggressive disease I think it should be optional. Why should people suffer

People shouldn't have to suffer such pain, an option should be given.

Those that are sound of mind and refuse treatment, this is the option they really want, they don't want to prolong the painful inevitable on themselves or their loved ones, Jesus it's so hard to watch,

Esther Rantzen bringing more attention to euthanasia now."

Fair play to her, fingers crossed it becomes law!

South County Dublin

My wife has primary progressive Multiple Sclerosis and I know she will end up in a wheelchair which is something she does not want. Hope the legislation is passed.

My mother had MS for over 40 years, she ended up in a wheelchair in the last 12 years of her life, it's a horrible, horrible illness, I feel your pain over your wife. xx "

Thank you for being so understanding.

Somewhere out there

My mother had MS for over 40 years, she ended up in a wheelchair in the last 12 years of her life, it's a horrible, horrible illness, I feel your pain over your wife. xx

Thank you for being so understanding. "

wicklow

"I’m really conflicted about this because I cared for my terminally ill mother for years. What she went through and was put through, if I did it to an animal I would jailed.

The conflict is how do we prevent terminally ill people feeling obligated to take the decision, to remove the burden on their caregivers "

I think the answer to your question is in the first part of your statement

Somewhere out there

The conflict is how do we prevent terminally ill people feeling obligated to take the decision, to remove the burden on their caregivers

I think the answer to your question is in the first part of your statement "

For sure.

By *og-ManMan 8 weeks ago

somewhere

Ive had 2 dogs put down because its the humain thing to do to ease their suffering and pain

I'd want the same for myself

By *DSGCouple 8 weeks ago

That place in

Would be a fan of Euthanasia

Let people die with dignity

Once a person knows and is still of sound mind, let them make their plans to go as they want, why should they be in terrible pain at the very end, it takes strength for the person dieing and for the person that assists them

Somewhere out there

"Ive had 2 dogs put down because its the humain thing to do to ease their suffering and pain

I'd want the same for myself "

Here here!!

Somewhere out there

"Would be a fan of Euthanasia

Let people die with dignity

Once a person knows and is still of sound mind, let them make their plans to go as they want, why should they be in terrible pain at the very end, it takes strength for the person dieing and for the person that assists them"

Definitely, we should be allowed to die with dignity, why should people have to suffer so harshly when we could have options.

By *xstevenxxMan 8 weeks ago

Ashbourne

At the end of the day having the option is what it’s all about

And if it’s passed great - it’s between a family and doctors and no one else

Why should some goodie 2 shoes who don’t know other people’s situation or desires to end there lives with dignity have a say in how they die.

They shouldn’t

By *rialbyfire1235Man 8 weeks ago

South KK

We’re not the first country to do this so we are lucky that we can draw on the experience of others here.

Looks like we’re are being very specific in the situations it can be used which is the prudent approach. It can always be expanded in the future.

We are all entitled to dignity in our lives and that should extend to the end of our lives too.

Unfortunately, due to the religious influence/control of healthcare here for the last 100 years, people have had to suffer terrible ends.

Thankfully that is changing.

The usual doomsayers in the wider world will decry this but the vast, vast majority of people will welcome it as we have all at some level experienced situations that would have been much better if the person had the option.

Somewhere out there

"At the end of the day having the option is what it’s all about

And if it’s passed great - it’s between a family and doctors and no one else

Why should some goodie 2 shoes who don’t know other people’s situation or desires to end there lives with dignity have a say in how they die.

They shouldn’t

"

Here here, so agree with this!!

Somewhere out there

"We’re not the first country to do this so we are lucky that we can draw on the experience of others here.

Looks like we’re are being very specific in the situations it can be used which is the prudent approach. It can always be expanded in the future.

We are all entitled to dignity in our lives and that should extend to the end of our lives too.

Unfortunately, due to the religious influence/control of healthcare here for the last 100 years, people have had to suffer terrible ends.

Thankfully that is changing.

The usual doomsayers in the wider world will decry this but the vast, vast majority of people will welcome it as we have all at some level experienced situations that would have been much better if the person had the option.

"

There will always be people that will throw negativity at it. But as you say, most will be for 'Assisted Dying'

By *traight sligoguy67Man 8 weeks ago

sligo

Fully agree with it and always said I would vote yes after watching a parent suffer for years who would have taken the option if available, as would I and many more I'm sure.

If it was a dog you wouldn't let them suffer for years you would do the humane thing.

But unfortunately, and call me a conspiracy theorist,but there's too much money to be made from sick people, a nursing home is thousand euro a week, there's big money in sick people.

sligo

It's horrendous on the family that have to deal with this, very upsetting for all! People that have such a debilitating illness should be able to die with dignity. "

Yes...absolutely...only prolonging the suffering for them and also the family.

By *otownkid1967Man 8 weeks ago

Portlaoise

Have seen family and friends ravaged with cancer and other diseases. Personally I would be all for it.

By *ilthyNightsCouple 8 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I don't think these proposals go far enough. I wouldn't wait until someone is in intolerable pain before allowing it.

Somewhere out there

"Fully agree with it and always said I would vote yes after watching a parent suffer for years who would have taken the option if available, as would I and many more I'm sure.

If it was a dog you wouldn't let them suffer for years you would do the humane thing.

But unfortunately, and call me a conspiracy theorist,but there's too much money to be made from sick people, a nursing home is thousand euro a week, there's big money in sick people. "

Somewhere out there

Yes...absolutely...only prolonging the suffering for them and also the family. "

Somewhere out there

"Have seen family and friends ravaged with cancer and other diseases. Personally I would be all for it. "

Defo.

By *ingletWoman 8 weeks ago

Kilkenny

My nephew at 28 had a stroke which left him paralysed from the neck down, took his speech and even his ability to breath unaided he couldn't even blink at times, this cruel half exsistance went on for four years before covid finally ended his life

I know he had a dnr but I also know he would have welcomed death, he was fully in his mind and the only way he could communicate was by putting his eyes up for yes and down for no

Kilkenny

I also work in home care and I hear my people all the time telling me they are ready to go, it's sad but I love my job

Somewhere out there

"I don't think these proposals go far enough. I wouldn't wait until someone is in intolerable pain before allowing it."

So true, it's shit that they have to suffer on with the pain and then having to keep going til the end like it is now... But if there's nothing further that can be done for them, they should be allowed to die with dignity then.

Somewhere out there

"My nephew at 28 had a stroke which left him paralysed from the neck down, took his speech and even his ability to breath unaided he couldn't even blink at times, this cruel half exsistance went on for four years before covid finally ended his life

I know he had a dnr but I also know he would have welcomed death, he was fully in his mind and the only way he could communicate was by putting his eyes up for yes and down for no "

Awwww that is awful for somebody soo young to end up with no quality of life. My mother would have done the same thing, would have opted for 'Assisted Dying' if it was available back then.

Somewhere out there

"I also work in home care and I hear my people all the time telling me they are ready to go, it's sad but I love my job "

Fair play to you for working in home care.xx It must be sad to hear that and nothing you can do about it, it's heartbreaking.

By *zippyMan 8 weeks ago

Wexford

"My nephew at 28 had a stroke which left him paralysed from the neck down, took his speech and even his ability to breath unaided he couldn't even blink at times, this cruel half exsistance went on for four years before covid finally ended his life

I know he had a dnr but I also know he would have welcomed death, he was fully in his mind and the only way he could communicate was by putting his eyes up for yes and down for no "

Had an uncle similar to that after an accident, he had his speech, he laid in a bed at his home for 12 long dark years hoping for his last day to come, he despised himself for being a burden and the depression was deep,it's a terrible thing to say but it was just a sense of pure relief for his immediate family after his funeral,

The thought of ending up and having to endure that sends shivers down the spine

Somewhere out there

I know he had a dnr but I also know he would have welcomed death, he was fully in his mind and the only way he could communicate was by putting his eyes up for yes and down for no

Had an uncle similar to that after an accident, he had his speech, he laid in a bed at his home for 12 long dark years hoping for his last day to come, he despised himself for being a burden and the depression was deep,it's a terrible thing to say but it was just a sense of pure relief for his immediate family after his funeral,

The thought of ending up and having to endure that sends shivers down the spine "

Nobody wants that.

Kilkenny

The thought of ending up and having to endure that sends shivers down the spine "

it was no life but he is at peace now and his mother said after it was a kindness he was taken

Although he never lost himself if thst makes sense

Somewhere out there

Thanks so much for all your comments! I can't reply to any comments for the whole day but will when I get back home from work.

Please feel free to comment away, it's an important topic. Xx

By *panishRebelMan 8 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

This is a hard issue.

It's obvious that no wants to see the continued suffering of people.

I watched my best friend die of cancer and leave 5 kids under the age of 12. He didn't want to die. He fought to the last. I am not 100 percent sure if it was just his decision...his wife was adamant he would beat the cancer.

I have heard cases that are dubious in nature about the way in which a person dies...(rumour is rife).

I have heard from care nurses (in a Cork home) that say they stop giving medicine at a certain stage. This home is well known for its care. Surely this is a form of assisted death already happening, yet we all quietly talk around it. We don't see it as barbaric.

However inside me, I have a nagging doubt about having it legalized....is this because of fear? Probably. Fear of it's abuse. One thing is for sure...the issue needs to be discussed out in the open. Individuals stories need to Be heard.

There is no point in letting fear stop us from understanding things and getting our structure of care better.

I am sure that there will be horrific stories told on both sides of the debate. I just hope people can respectfully listen and calmly try to understand one another when the time comes for a referendum (it will come eventually) vote for what they see and feel is right.

By *outhDubGuy89Man 8 weeks ago

Dalkey

As long as the doctor is morally comfortable with administering the drug. I believe everyone should be entitled to end their own life on their own terms by their own free will.

It’s a similar stance to what I took on the abortion referendum. I have no right to make decisions on behalf of someone else’s body. Your body, your choice.

South County Dublin

"Fully agree with it and always said I would vote yes after watching a parent suffer for years who would have taken the option if available, as would I and many more I'm sure.

But unfortunately, and call me a conspiracy theorist,but there's too much money to be made from sick people, a nursing home is thousand euro a week, there's big money in sick people. "

Could not agree more with you, so true.

By *rialbyfire1235Man 8 weeks ago

South KK

"As long as the doctor is morally comfortable with administering the drug. I believe everyone should be entitled to end their own life on their own terms by their own free will.

It’s a similar stance to what I took on the abortion referendum. I have no right to make decisions on behalf of someone else’s body. Your body, your choice. "

This is it exactly.

Healthcare professionals are exempt from providing termination care if it is against their morals. The same will apply here.

Healthcare, to me, is a private matter. Between you and your doctor. Hypothetically, if two people have very similiar diseases and potential outcomes and one opts for assisted dying and the other does not, that does not make one of them right and the other wrong. It’s down to choice.

As a child, an elderly neighbour we were all very fond of got cancer with a terminal diagnosis. She refused treatment and enjoyed her last few months, free of chemo. Went into hospice for a few weeks and that was that. She made a choice that shortened her life but increased the quality.

Assisted dying is just the next step and further type of care for people. It’s not like Des O’Neill, in the article about this who’d have you believe that the sky will fall if we bring this in.

Having choices is always better than having no choices.

By *eMacMan 8 weeks ago

kildare

This is a decision I absolutely want to make. We cared for my father for 18 months and delighted we did but I do not want my kids to have to do that for me. I would happily sign a paper now as I am about to turn 50 that if I’m ever in a state of ‘no repair’ and unable to communicate it I want to be sent on my way. Would have no hesitation in signing that.

By *oo32Man 8 weeks ago

tipperary

"This is a hard issue.

I watched my best friend die of cancer and leave 5 kids under the age of 12. He didn't want to die. He fought to the last. I am not 100 percent sure if it was just his decision...his wife was adamant he would beat the cancer.

I have heard cases that are dubious in nature about the way in which a person dies...(rumour is rife).

I have heard from care nurses (in a Cork home) that say they stop giving medicine at a certain stage. This home is well known for its care. Surely this is a form of assisted death already happening, yet we all quietly talk around it. We don't see it as barbaric.

However inside me, I have a nagging doubt about having it legalized....is this because of fear? Probably. Fear of it's abuse. One thing is for sure...the issue needs to be discussed out in the open. Individuals stories need to Be heard.

There is no point in letting fear stop us from understanding things and getting our structure of care better.

I am sure that there will be horrific stories told on both sides of the debate. I just hope people can respectfully listen and calmly try to understand one another when the time comes for a referendum (it will come eventually) vote for what they see and feel is right."

Awfull to hear about your buddy,its the one disease that def doesn't seem to be getting close to a cure

To stop giving medicine is done in a lot of places,they'd see it as medication not working anymore,the condition has worsened,or another form of medication was needed before death

By *nnetteTV/TS 8 weeks ago

Enniscorthy

Most politicians will do anything to avoid this happening. Just think the He-Rays, Mattie Mac etc. My mother took 2 years to die in pain, blind, bed ridden, doubly incontinent. Were I heading that way, I would choose to go.

Somewhere out there

"This is a hard issue.

I am sure that there will be horrific stories told on both sides of the debate. I just hope people can respectfully listen and calmly try to understand one another when the time comes for a referendum (it will come eventually) vote for what they see and feel is right."

So sorry to hear about your friend, cancer is awful, it's the devil. Individual stories need to be heard, I agree!

Somewhere out there

"As long as the doctor is morally comfortable with administering the drug. I believe everyone should be entitled to end their own life on their own terms by their own free will.

It’s a similar stance to what I took on the abortion referendum. I have no right to make decisions on behalf of someone else’s body. Your body, your choice. "

Yeah, having that choice is important, it's your body after all!

Somewhere out there

It’s a similar stance to what I took on the abortion referendum. I have no right to make decisions on behalf of someone else’s body. Your body, your choice.

This is it exactly.

Healthcare professionals are exempt from providing termination care if it is against their morals. The same will apply here.

Healthcare, to me, is a private matter. Between you and your doctor. Hypothetically, if two people have very similiar diseases and potential outcomes and one opts for assisted dying and the other does not, that does not make one of them right and the other wrong. It’s down to choice.

As a child, an elderly neighbour we were all very fond of got cancer with a terminal diagnosis. She refused treatment and enjoyed her last few months, free of chemo. Went into hospice for a few weeks and that was that. She made a choice that shortened her life but increased the quality.

Assisted dying is just the next step and further type of care for people. It’s not like Des O’Neill, in the article about this who’d have you believe that the sky will fall if we bring this in.

Having choices is always better than having no choices.

"

Glad your neighbour refused treatment and it was allowed.....

The DNR wasn't sorted for my mother, my siblings didn't advise me about the 'Power of Attorney', didn't dawn on me at all so she ended up getting the feeding tube sewn into her stomach..... I saif no to mum getting the feeding tube, so the doctors went to one of my sister's and was given the oul 'think of the starving people of South Africa so my sister gave in to them, to let them go ahead with the feeding tube..... honest to God, I was furious with both my sister and the doctors and nurses, gave out reams to all of them.....she was dying ffs, she died 4 months later..... She deserved to die with better dignity..... I do not agree with the tube feeder when somebody is dying and never will, it's only prolonging the agony..... Mum kept saying 'help me, help me, help me a lot until she died..... She smiled when she died, my sister told me.....

Somewhere out there

"This is a decision I absolutely want to make. We cared for my father for 18 months and delighted we did but I do not want my kids to have to do that for me. I would happily sign a paper now as I am about to turn 50 that if I’m ever in a state of ‘no repair’ and unable to communicate it I want to be sent on my way. Would have no hesitation in signing that. "

Sort out the 'Do Not Resuscitate'(DNR), the next time you're in hospital, get them to give you the DNR form for you to sign. Or nominate somebody you trust to be the 'Power of Attorney' I wish I had known about that when my mother was dying.....

Somewhere out there

"This is a hard issue.

I am sure that there will be horrific stories told on both sides of the debate. I just hope people can respectfully listen and calmly try to understand one another when the time comes for a referendum (it will come eventually) vote for what they see and feel is right.

Awfull to hear about your buddy,its the one disease that def doesn't seem to be getting close to a cure

To stop giving medicine is done in a lot of places,they'd see it as medication not working anymore,the condition has worsened,or another form of medication was needed before death

"

Somewhere out there

[Removed by poster at 08/03/24 18:14:37]

By *ularliWoman 8 weeks ago

worcester

I am all for assisted dying. I would rather die in dignity than suffer horrendously. I also wouldn’t want my family to see suffering.

I’d want to go on my terms in the best way possible.

Somewhere out there

"Most politicians will do anything to avoid this happening. Just think the He-Rays, Mattie Mac etc. My mother took 2 years to die in pain, blind, bed ridden, doubly incontinent. Were I heading that way, I would choose to go."

So sorry to hear about your mother, it was rotten to the core what she had to go through, it's upsetting for her and the family, no need for it at all.

Somewhere out there

"I am all for assisted dying. I would rather die in dignity than suffer horrendously. I also wouldn’t want my family to see suffering.

"

Definitely!

sligo

"I am all for assisted dying. I would rather die in dignity than suffer horrendously. I also wouldn’t want my family to see suffering.

"

Yes of course, I think it's inhumane and cruel to keep someone alive if they're suffering and no way out.

"This was the first topic that was talked about on the RTE1 news tonight (07/03/24) The following is what they hope to achieve!!

Assisted Dying

Diagnosed with an illness that is incurable, irreversible, progressive and advanced.

Receive assistance to end their life, if they have 6 months to live - or sometimes twelve months.

A time limit is likely to be set at twelve months for neurodegenerative conditions.

Assisted suicide, involving the person who wants to die taking the final action to end their life by administering a medical substance.

Euthanasia would apply, involving the doctor taking the final action to end life, when the person wanting to die is physically incapable of administering.

What does everyone think, please discuss! No arguments please, not everyone will have the same opinion!

Also, I won't be replying to everyone individually, don't have enough time for that!

On ye go with the debate! "

Friend of mine had MS, his carer had a heart attack and died next to him at the breakfast table. He wasn't able to phone for help and it was 3 days before anybody called. He went to a care home then. He couldn't even tell anyone if he had a toothache or other pain. He passed away 3 years ago. Terrible last few years of his life.

Euthenesia would have helped him I think.

By *ermbiMan 8 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

I think a read through the posts really shows how little understanding there really is about this issue. People making comments on what others would have wanted through to making it my decision and considering it at certain ages if something happens etc etc. It's far more complex than some of the simplistic messages here. I notice how there are very few voices against assisted dying which leads me to think some are fearful to out forward their views. Unless we are faced with our own real life situation we cannot say for certain what we would do. How we would consider the impact on our loved ones etc etc. To say my body my choice is again a simple argument which has been over used and spread around as a justification. The complexities cannot be overstated. There is much for any government to consider and should not be a rushed decision as the implications are huge.

By *reyingbeardMan 8 weeks ago

city

Can't see it happening here any time soon though "

It's definitely something that should be allowed happen, if someone is terminal why make them suffer more let them pass a bit sooner & without sounding bad but have a choice in it or family to choose if they can't,

mother had a really bad stroke & would've been a vegetable if came out of it (nothing she would've wanted) but yet had to wait nearly 2 weeks for the poor woman to slowly die totally unlike how I know she'd have liked

"This was the first topic that was talked about on the RTE1 news tonight (07/03/24) The following is what they hope to achieve!!

Assisted Dying

On ye go with the debate! "

I think you should well be in your right to choose if your future is suffering and withering away and suffer till your last breath .. it’s inhumane to let that happen … let people go out with dignity

Somewhere out there

Yes of course, I think it's inhumane and cruel to keep someone alive if they're suffering and no way out."

Agree totally!

Somewhere out there

Assisted Dying

Friend of mine had MS, his carer had a heart attack and died next to him at the breakfast table. He wasn't able to phone for help and it was 3 days before anybody called. He went to a care home then. He couldn't even tell anyone if he had a toothache or other pain. He passed away 3 years ago. Terrible last few years of his life.

Euthenesia would have helped him I think.

"

OMG that's horrendous for both your friend and his carer, sorry to hear that. 'Assisted Dying' needs to come into ASAP. x

Somewhere out there

"I think a read through the posts really shows how little understanding there really is about this issue. People making comments on what others would have wanted through to making it my decision and considering it at certain ages if something happens etc etc. It's far more complex than some of the simplistic messages here. I notice how there are very few voices against assisted dying which leads me to think some are fearful to out forward their views. Unless we are faced with our own real life situation we cannot say for certain what we would do. How we would consider the impact on our loved ones etc etc. To say my body my choice is again a simple argument which has been over used and spread around as a justification. The complexities cannot be overstated. There is much for any government to consider and should not be a rushed decision as the implications are huge. "

I doubt it would be a rushed decision, I'm sure a doctor would have to check how far long gone they are, that there is nothing more that could be done for them. I feel people are saying that if they were in a very bad way and nothing more can be done for them then they would opt for 'Assisted Dying' and that would be their choice, rather than at any time they choose.

I only have to believe that the government will think this true as such that there will be certain steps that one has to go through to in order to opt for 'Assisted Dying'

I appreciate your comment, thank you.

Somewhere out there

It's definitely something that should be allowed happen, if someone is terminal why make them suffer more let them pass a bit sooner & without sounding bad but have a choice in it or family to choose if they can't,

mother had a really bad stroke & would've been a vegetable if came out of it (nothing she would've wanted) but yet had to wait nearly 2 weeks for the poor woman to slowly die totally unlike how I know she'd have liked "

Better then to have gone with dignity, I'd agree. And sorry to hear that about your mother.

Somewhere out there

Assisted Dying

I think you should well be in your right to choose if your future is suffering and withering away and suffer till your last breath .. it’s inhumane to let that happen … let people go out with dignity "

It's no life to suffer that badly and in such pain, they should be able to die in peace and dignity then.

Somewhere out there

[Removed by poster at 09/03/24 09:15:44]

Somewhere out there

I know I said I wouldn't reply to people individually but felt it to be too important a topic to not. Thanks all soo much for you comments, please continue commenting! Xx

By *isandherscplCouple 8 weeks ago

Dublin and Meath

A few years ago, in my late 30s I had stage 3 cancer. I thought about this a lot at the time as I have two young children, and I didn’t want them to watch me deteriorate and have that memory me dying in agony. I made up my mind back then that if the cancer developed and expanded that I would travel alone. Thankfully I’m still here today and didn’t have to make the journey abroad. But when my cancer returns, I feel really sad that I will have to make the journey alone. We need things to change. Milly

Somewhere out there

"A few years ago, in my late 30s I had stage 3 cancer. I thought about this a lot at the time as I have two young children, and I didn’t want them to watch me deteriorate and have that memory me dying in agony. I made up my mind back then that if the cancer developed and expanded that I would travel alone. Thankfully I’m still here today and didn’t have to make the journey abroad. But when my cancer returns, I feel really sad that I will have to make the journey alone. We need things to change. Milly "

Cancer is the devil, glad you got through that and hopefully it won't return. I do hope 'Assisted Dying' will be pushed through quickly. Xx

Somewhere out there

[Removed by poster at 09/03/24 19:24:30]

By *ularliWoman 8 weeks ago

worcester

"A few years ago, in my late 30s I had stage 3 cancer. I thought about this a lot at the time as I have two young children, and I didn’t want them to watch me deteriorate and have that memory me dying in agony. I made up my mind back then that if the cancer developed and expanded that I would travel alone. Thankfully I’m still here today and didn’t have to make the journey abroad. But when my cancer returns, I feel really sad that I will have to make the journey alone. We need things to change. Milly "

I also had stage 3 cancer and had the same thoughts. My daughter was 14 at the time. I remember her asking me if i was going to die. That was hard. But, if it comes back and there was nothing that could be done I would want to end my life when I was still able to make that decision for myself.

You still need to have mental capacity to make a choice

Somewhere out there

"A few years ago, in my late 30s I had stage 3 cancer. I thought about this a lot at the time as I have two young children, and I didn’t want them to watch me deteriorate and have that memory me dying in agony. I made up my mind back then that if the cancer developed and expanded that I would travel alone. Thankfully I’m still here today and didn’t have to make the journey abroad. But when my cancer returns, I feel really sad that I will have to make the journey alone. We need things to change. Milly

I also had stage 3 cancer and had the same thoughts. My daughter was 14 at the time. I remember her asking me if i was going to die. That was hard. But, if it comes back and there was nothing that could be done I would want to end my life when I was still able to make that decision for myself.

You still need to have mental capacity to make a choice "

Euthanasia would apply if you were incapable of doing it yourself and your doctor can administer it for you. xx

By *udding Rose OP   Woman 7 weeks ago

Somewhere out there

Bump!

By *iSi74Man 7 weeks ago

Dublin, EastMeath, Drogheda

Every topic should be open to intelligent reasonable debate, the moment people stop debating and respecting the views of others things start to fall apart

By *og-ManMan 7 weeks ago

somewhere

No disrespect meant but maybe the death of Charlie Bird will open the conversation out a bit more in public

Somewhere out there

"Every topic should be open to intelligent reasonable debate, the moment people stop debating and respecting the views of others things start to fall apart "

Somewhere out there

"No disrespect meant but maybe the death of Charlie Bird will open the conversation out a bit more in public "

Yeah, you could be right.

By *exy Social SpiritsCouple (FF) 7 weeks ago

Mayo

"I also work in home care and I hear my people all the time telling me they are ready to go, it's sad but I love my job "

We both work in healthcare and hear this all the time, some pray they don’t wake up in the morning.

If it’s done right I fully agree with it, and I think the key words are that “it’s their choice “ it’s not someone with a horrible illness HAS to take this option.

Somewhere out there

"I also work in home care and I hear my people all the time telling me they are ready to go, it's sad but I love my job

We both work in healthcare and hear this all the time, some pray they don’t wake up in the morning.

If it’s done right I fully agree with it, and I think the key words are that “it’s their choice “ it’s not someone with a horrible illness HAS to take this option. "

Somewhere out there

I watched the final documentary last night on RTE - Charlie Bird on living with MND

It was very informative and he's been raising funds for Motor Neuron Disease! He climbed Croagh Patrick with his family beside him, the support he got was amazing. He raised millions for the charity. It got to the stage that he couldn't talk and the only way he could communicate was through voice recognition, it was his voice, his words. It was a very emotional watch.

anybody else got anything to add to this? Did anybody else see the documentary?

» Add a new message to this topic