FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Let's talk about... Consent!

Let's talk about... Consent!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *heBlowins OP   Couple 2 weeks ago

West Cork

There's a video that went viral a few years back discussing consent using the analogy of offering some a cup of tea. Highly recommend.

If you don't feel like watching it, that's ok- I'll try and sum up this one point:

If you offer someone a cup of tea and they decline, would you persistently (and perhaps forcefully) try to make them accept your tea?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ofusplusCouple 2 weeks ago

Limerick

I'm not sure that's the best analogy for the Irish. Have you not seen Father Ted?

West Cork

"I'm not sure that's the best analogy for the Irish. Have you not seen Father Ted? "

Ohh noo! Only seen bits and pieces but I do know a thing or two about how dated Graham Linehan is

Maybe not the best analogy but the point is valid: No means no.

Our children understand this, it's mind boggling how many adults don't.

By *ilthyNightsCouple 2 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Is like to think our children's generation will grow up with a lot better languages / tools / understanding in this area... and far fewer excuses.

West Cork

"Is like to think our children's generation will grow up with a lot better languages / tools / understanding in this area... and far fewer excuses."

Lordy I hope so!

By *ichael McCarthyMan 2 weeks ago

Lucan

To be fair, if no meant no in Ireland in relation to everything, nobody would ever eat or drink anything in anyone else's house.

It's all about the "ah no, I'm grand... No, thanks, not at all.. Well sure, I suppose a drop wouldn't be any harm. Sure go on so, if you're making one anyway.." proceeds to sit drinking tea for four hours.

By *antra MassageMan 2 weeks ago

Old bog road

I've seen the video. It's excellent. A great way of getting the message across, especially in schools.

I press your post is in connection with consent to intimacy, touch, sexual behaviour. I have this conversation with any fabber's I meet. Some appreciate it, with others it's a new concept.

West Cork

"I've seen the video. It's excellent. A great way of getting the message across, especially in schools.

I press your post is in connection with consent to intimacy, touch, sexual behaviour. I have this conversation with any fabber's I meet. Some appreciate it, with others it's a new concept. "

Bingo my man- you get it

West Cork

"To be fair, if no meant no in Ireland in relation to everything, nobody would ever eat or drink anything in anyone else's house.

It's all about the "ah no, I'm grand... No, thanks, not at all.. Well sure, I suppose a drop wouldn't be any harm. Sure go on so, if you're making one anyway.." proceeds to sit drinking tea for four hours. "

Think about it in terms of sexual intent

By *r_Insatiable666Man 2 weeks ago

Cork

I definitely think consent should be one of the core aims in sex education in schools. There is more of a focus on how not to great pregnant.

Lucan

"To be fair, if no meant no in Ireland in relation to everything, nobody would ever eat or drink anything in anyone else's house.

It's all about the "ah no, I'm grand... No, thanks, not at all.. Well sure, I suppose a drop wouldn't be any harm. Sure go on so, if you're making one anyway.." proceeds to sit drinking tea for four hours.

Think about it in terms of sexual intent"

We should all know about consent but as someone else already said, I don't believe the analogy works at all.

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple 2 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

I had a mate who would make the most horrible weak ass milky tea.

I would always say "Yes" when he was making the tea, even though internally I would be in a rage sipping sipping that piss out of politeness.

Sometimes yes doesn't mean yes.

Lucan

"I had a mate who would make the most horrible weak ass milky tea.

I would always say "Yes" when he was making the tea, even though internally I would be in a rage sipping sipping that piss out of politeness.

Sometimes yes doesn't mean yes."

#blackteamatters

West Cork

We should all know about consent but as someone else already said, I don't believe the analogy works at all. "

Fair enough.. we're not Irish so I guess it means nothing to us to actually decline tea offered to us.

But focusing on the analogy itself is really not the point at all. It's only to show how simple and easy a denial (that actually matters) should be accepted.

Happy to hear if there are better analogies or simply a better way of communicating the importance of consent

It's often disheartening how many people seem to think that simply being active on Fab equals consent

Lucan

We should all know about consent but as someone else already said, I don't believe the analogy works at all.

Fair enough.. we're not Irish so I guess it means nothing to us to actually decline tea offered to us.

But focusing on the analogy itself is really not the point at all. It's only to show how simple and easy a denial (that actually matters) should be accepted.

Happy to hear if there are better analogies or simply a better way of communicating the importance of consent

It's often disheartening how many people seem to think that simply being active on Fab equals consent "

Tbh, personally I don't believe any analogy is necessary at all. No means no, end of story.

West Cork

It's often disheartening how many people seem to think that simply being active on Fab equals consent

Tbh, personally I don't believe any analogy is necessary at all. No means no, end of story. "

As it should be- but in reality that's not the case at all

All you need to look at is how many people persistently and incessantly message on Fab to know that no most definitely does not mean no to many folks

East / North, Cork

I think it's a brilliant analogy. The video illustrates consent really well, and even those who are saying it doesn't work here surely must be able to see it's usefulness in explaining the concept.

For some reason there was a trend of pretending not to really understand consent. This kind of this really helps.

Lucan

Tbh, personally I don't believe any analogy is necessary at all. No means no, end of story.

All you need to look at is how many people persistently and incessantly message on Fab to know that no most definitely does not mean no to many folks "

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way about the issue, just the analogy.

I don't believe that people failing to accept no in messaging here is an indication of their propensity for r@pe all the same.

While repeatedly refusing to accept no here is really really annoying, it's very easy to stop by simply blocking someone, or short of that, just don't read any of their messages after you've said no.

By *affa31Woman 2 weeks ago

Galway

All you need to look at is how many people persistently and incessantly message on Fab to know that no most definitely does not mean no to many folks

I don't believe that people failing to accept no in messaging here is an indication of their propensity for r@pe all the same.

While repeatedly refusing to accept no here is really really annoying, it's very easy to stop by simply blocking someone, or short of that, just don't read any of their messages after you've said no. "

But why should it be up to the person receiving the messages to take time to fix the problem when the person being told no should just respect that and fuck off.

By *eductivepiercingsWoman 2 weeks ago

Louth

So, it's got to the stage guys will not approach any woman in any format in public, work forget it, with HR rules and everyone afraid I know guys who will NEVER enter a room or office if women are present. Regardless of how many. My own sons are extremely hesitant around women. It's now seen as them and us, the enemies. And so many false accusations being made because you where d*unk. Never seen any situation of a guy bolting out of a house after a 1 night stand running to the Garda station. So No means No to the point any female who is in a bar cannot be flirted with, talked to or ever dare do anything physical even if you had two solicitors and 4 independent witnesses present.

East / North, Cork

"So, it's got to the stage guys will not approach any woman in any format in public, work forget it, with HR rules and everyone afraid I know guys who will NEVER enter a room or office if women are present. Regardless of how many. My own sons are extremely hesitant around women. It's now seen as them and us, the enemies. And so many false accusations being made because you where d*unk. Never seen any situation of a guy bolting out of a house after a 1 night stand running to the Garda station. So No means No to the point any female who is in a bar cannot be flirted with, talked to or ever dare do anything physical even if you had two solicitors and 4 independent witnesses present. "

What a load of bullshit.

Kinda Dublin

"

But why should it be up to the person receiving the messages to take time to fix the problem when the person being told no should just respect that and fuck off. "

Because everyone is responsible for their own safety. You can be in-the-right all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that the world will always be full of cunts. You need to protect yourself and can't go through life hoping strangers will make the effort to keep you safe.

Galway

"So, it's got to the stage guys will not approach any woman in any format in public, work forget it, with HR rules and everyone afraid I know guys who will NEVER enter a room or office if women are present. Regardless of how many. My own sons are extremely hesitant around women. It's now seen as them and us, the enemies. And so many false accusations being made because you where d*unk. Never seen any situation of a guy bolting out of a house after a 1 night stand running to the Garda station. So No means No to the point any female who is in a bar cannot be flirted with, talked to or ever dare do anything physical even if you had two solicitors and 4 independent witnesses present. "

Give me a bloody break. Absolute horseshit.

Galway

"

But why should it be up to the person receiving the messages to take time to fix the problem when the person being told no should just respect that and fuck off.

Because everyone is responsible for their own safety. You can be in-the-right all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that the world will always be full of cunts. You need to protect yourself and can't go through life hoping strangers will make the effort to keep you safe."

So the onus is on the victim? Interesting

Kinda Dublin

"

Because everyone is responsible for their own safety. You can be in-the-right all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that the world will always be full of cunts. You need to protect yourself and can't go through life hoping strangers will make the effort to keep you safe.

So the onus is on the victim? Interesting "

Come one, you know thats not what im saying.

There is no victim at this stage, just an annoying person messaging you.

By *ipstick KissesWoman 2 weeks ago

South Down, Northern Ireland

What a load of tripe

Lucan

While repeatedly refusing to accept no here is really really annoying, it's very easy to stop by simply blocking someone, or short of that, just don't read any of their messages after you've said no.

But why should it be up to the person receiving the messages to take time to fix the problem when the person being told no should just respect that and fuck off. "

Well of course they should fuck off. They don't though, and despite us talking about this for years, the same thing still happens. I choose to mind my own mental health by ignoring those people.

My suggestion isn't a way to fix the problem, just a workaround to retain sanity.

Kinda Dublin

"So, it's got to the stage guys will not approach any woman in any format in public, work forget it, with HR rules and everyone afraid I know guys who will NEVER enter a room or office if women are present. Regardless of how many. My own sons are extremely hesitant around women. It's now seen as them and us, the enemies. And so many false accusations being made because you where d*unk. Never seen any situation of a guy bolting out of a house after a 1 night stand running to the Garda station. So No means No to the point any female who is in a bar cannot be flirted with, talked to or ever dare do anything physical even if you had two solicitors and 4 independent witnesses present.

What a load of tripe"

This sounds like incel talk. People who never had the social skills to talk to women in the 1st place. And now using MeToo as an excuse to shift the blame on women.

Lucan

The human race would come to an abrupt end if that were true

Louth

Disgusting language, reported for abuse. American TV and talk shows are awash with exactely this issue.

Guy approaches a girl at work, she says no, he walks away! She thinks well he didn't try very hard! Does she report him? Does he loose his job?

You have a block button use it I definitely do for abusive people, or pests

Lucan

"Disgusting language, reported for abuse. American TV and talk shows are awash with exactely this issue.

Guy approaches a girl at work, she says no, he walks away! She thinks well he didn't try very hard! Does she report him? Does he loose his job?

You have a block button use it I definitely do for abusive people, or pests "

Who abused you?

To be fair, American tv and talkshows are where you're going wrong.

East / North, Cork

"Disgusting language, reported for abuse. American TV and talk shows are awash with exactely this issue.

But you don't need to worry about pests right? Because they don't dare approach women right?

I didn't see any abuse, but good luck with that

Well the talk and TV show ratings would probably plummet if they didn't focus on isolated sensationalist stories

Louth

So the term passport bros is not familiar with you!

A car sales man takes no for an answer?

Lots of girls expect a chase! And I've plenty of friends who are like this, you have an entire melting pot of views now, so lots of guys have checked out of dating. You clearly don't understand the wider issues

Louth

And replying directly to a person who has you blocked is against the rules here, but apparently they don't count.

Just wondering why the shit of a bull is less disgusting than that of a horse? Keep stirring the pot

"And replying directly to a person who has you blocked is against the rules here, but apparently they don't count. "

It's actually not. I'm sure a mod will happily explain it.

Lucan

"So the term passport bros is not familiar with you!

A car sales man takes no for an answer?

Lots of girls expect a chase! And I've plenty of friends who are like this, you have an entire melting pot of views now, so lots of guys have checked out of dating. You clearly don't understand the wider issues "

Reply and quote is your friend. That way we'll know who you're addressing.

Personally I've never heard of passport bros but I'm going to assume it's an American concept of some sort?

As for car salesmen, that's a completely different dynamic and it's not in any way comparable to the subject matter here.

Lucan

Just wondering why the shit of a bull is less disgusting than that of a horse? Keep stirring the pot

"

I actually like the smell of horseshit.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman 2 weeks ago

My town

No words really just

Kinda Dublin

I actually like the smell of horseshit. "

That's batshit crazy

East / North, Cork

I just hope you don't ever find yourself in a situation where your "no" isn't taken seriously, and I hope no young lad reads your post and thinks that behaving in that way is acceptable to some women.

Lucan

That's batshit crazy"

Carrot in a box was crazy. I miss Seán Lock

Lucan

That's batshit crazy"

Wait, Batshit? That's abusive!

By *ealitybitesMan 2 weeks ago

Belfast

There have been lots of threads where women have posted about getting messages assuming that just because they were on fab they would put out at every opportunity.

On the flip side there have been lots of comments about men not having a voice or a choice on here and those with that particular mindset must struggle to understand that consent is a two way street.

My first fab meet 8 years ago was a prime example of someone not understanding the principle of consent and assuming that I would be so grateful I would go along with whatever they wanted without prior discussion.

Even though I was the one physically attacked, that story could have had a very different ending if I had retaliated as she wanted me to and even when I didn't and walked away, it would have been very easy for her to create a completely different scenario and involve the police.

The chances were they would take her word over mine.

Kinda Dublin

That's batshit crazy

Wait, Batshit? That's abusive! "

Ah here, don't go Ape shit on me now!

Old bog road

How to de rail an intelligent thread !

This is why I like the UK camping forum. So peaceful, no arguments. Stick to the subject.

By *oodOmensfor2Couple 2 weeks ago

Ennis

I actually like the smell of horseshit. "

It is the best smelling shit

East / North, Cork

"There have been lots of threads where women have posted about getting messages assuming that just because they were on fab they would put out at every opportunity.

On the flip side there have been lots of comments about men not having a voice or a choice on here and those with that particular mindset must struggle to understand that consent is a two way street.

My first fab meet 8 years ago was a prime example of someone not understanding the principle of consent and assuming that I would be so grateful I would go along with whatever they wanted without prior discussion.

Even though I was the one physically attacked, that story could have had a very different ending if I had retaliated as she wanted me to and even when I didn't and walked away, it would have been very easy for her to create a completely different scenario and involve the police.

The chances were they would take her word over mine.

"

I remember your story and I'm sorry you went through that. These kind of crimes go unreported for both sexes because of issues of proof and one word against another, but I understand why you didn't. It's a situation that many women find themselves in also and choose not to report.

Louth

Consent Is an agreement of sorts! In every aspect of life! The same way I immediately blocked all the abusive people here and reported all rhose comments.

The very essence being I have my view, you chose to disagree and not accept it! I'd call that hypocritical at the very least. Consent is accepting the other person/s view of answer on ANYTHING. But how nice of you to literally show that 100% Consent will never exist anywhere in society.

Boss I'd like a day off... No...

Can you stay and do overtime.. no

Would you like a drink.... no

Reality is their is NO difference our minds have been programmed from very very young to negotiate. Zero need for abuse the very thing you claim you want to stop. Irony.

East / North, Cork

Choosing to disagree with someone isn't hypocritical. When grownups talk to each other they are hopefully able to meet as equals and decide between them what they are happy and able to do and what they aren't. Then both the grownups can do what's decided upon. Same applies for asking your boss for a day off as to agreeing to have sex. A boss that makes you chase him over and over begging for a day off is an asshole. Same for someone who expects someone to chase them after telling them they aren't interested. That's schoolyard stuff. If you agree then say yes. If you don't then say no. Then expect the other person to accept the answer.

Louth

Again talking to someone who has blocked you!

Consent, education on being a human being, sex education is not for schools that is for parents, if you cannot talk to your own kids about anything, advise them and mould them to be positive in society then why expect some stranger in a school to do it for you. Self awareness in putting yourself in situations should also be acknowledged, any gender!

I use my block function and report function. That's why all dating apps or this app has that.

Lucan

"Consent Is an agreement of sorts! In every aspect of life! The same way I immediately blocked all the abusive people here and reported all rhose comments.

The very essence being I have my view, you chose to disagree and not accept it! I'd call that hypocritical at the very least. Consent is accepting the other person/s view of answer on ANYTHING. But how nice of you to literally show that 100% Consent will never exist anywhere in society.

Boss I'd like a day off... No...

Can you stay and do overtime.. no

Would you like a drink.... no

Reality is their is NO difference our minds have been programmed from very very young to negotiate. Zero need for abuse the very thing you claim you want to stop. Irony."

There are two words you seem to be confused about. One is consent and the other is abuse. Your definition of both is completely wrong.

By *ozzlesMan 2 weeks ago

galway

It seems a fairly straightforward concept to me, no always means no.

It can help clarity if the no is uttered clearly and unequivocally. Leaving room for misinterpretation opens potential for misinterpretation either deliberate or contrived. No, not now and not ever, should work.

By *og-ManMan 2 weeks ago

somewhere

Again talking to someone who has blocked you!

Just like your last profile you're assuming that people can't write in answer to any of your posts just because you've blocked them

Thats not how it works so there's no need to tell people you've blocked them

By *ozzlesMan 2 weeks ago

galway

It's funny how Consent is such a contentious issue, I rarely see or hear anyone arguing against consent but yet it seems to cause such arguments.

Louth

There are various types of consent, including explicit consent, implied consent, opt-in consent, and opt-out consent.

If you want to discuss any of these they all have reperocussions. If you don't like someone messaging you block them report them.

Louth

And I may add a simple request by myself where persons who are blocked by me not to refer to me was ignored... while arguing on consent

And trying to counter argue I have no RIGHTS to this!

And that is exactly why consent won't happen. Case dismissed. I'll mould my kids, I guess you missed that part in your classroom.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman 2 weeks ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

There seems to be some confusion about someone who has been blocked replying to comments on the forum.

Which is fine by the way, doesn't break the forum rules. What you can't do is ask them why they blocked you, to unblock or please contact you. Also mentioning that you have blocked them/they you can lead to some time on my naughty step.

Hopes this clears things up.

By *lueLotusWoman 2 weeks ago

Cork

Wow that got heavy.

I just did a consent course and one of the phrases that really stood out for me was

"when someone says no to you they're saying yes to themselves"

Love it.

East / North, Cork

"And I may add a simple request by myself where persons who are blocked by me not to refer to me was ignored... while arguing on consent

And trying to counter argue I have no RIGHTS to this!

And that is exactly why consent won't happen. Case dismissed. I'll mould my kids, I guess you missed that part in your classroom. "

I think you are confusing a few concepts here. Speaking out in public about what someone else says in public is not a consent violation. Plus of course you have the right to counter argue, just the same as I have a right to tell you why I believe you are wrong.

By *ugs BunnyCouple 2 weeks ago

south Dublin

"There's a video that went viral a few years back discussing consent using the analogy of offering some a cup of tea. Highly recommend.

If you don't feel like watching it, that's ok- I'll try and sum up this one point:

If you offer someone a cup of tea and they decline, would you persistently (and perhaps forcefully) try to make them accept your tea?"

Definitely not! Like most people, I need more than just their consent. I want a very enthusiastic YES please i really want a cup of tea with you! Any less than that then it's a not happening. Xx mrs bugs

Louth

"Wow that got heavy.

I just did a consent course and one of the phrases that really stood out for me was

Love it. "

And I have my degree and deal with real consent issues daily. I am far from the person/s who lacks understanding as you no doubt realised doing your course. Seems others need to go do a few courses here.

Not sure about others, but I've no idea who has blocked me without physically checking each profile. I don't check every single profile before I comment on a forum thread

By *ot so needyMan 2 weeks ago

Galway

Maybe your sons being hesitant around women isn't such a bad think if they share your views

No matter what the topic is there is always a negative vibe from you. Cheer up it might never happen. If you don't agree with me you can always block me. Oh wait you did already.lol

By *ubadubdubWoman 2 weeks ago

Hereabouts

It's all about the "ah no, I'm grand... No, thanks, not at all.. Well sure, I suppose a drop wouldn't be any harm. Sure go on so, if you're making one anyway.." proceeds to sit drinking tea for four hours. "

That silly social tennis doesn't happen so much now thanks bejeeebus it used to drive me nuts.

Offer tea or other refreshments, partake if you like, politely decline if you like, change your mind if you like. Just be clear about it with none of the nonsense, and don't be offended by someone exercising their choice.

By *ocialCreatureWoman 2 weeks ago

about / in the region of

"It's often disheartening how many people seem to think that simply being active on Fab equals consent "

Very disheartening. Some behave as if they'very never heard of consent.

By *electableicecreamMan 2 weeks ago

The West

Ok so hear me out. You getting the ride and suddenly you get an awful thirst for cup of tea. In between strokes you politely ask your partner if they fancied a cup...

By *ocialCreatureWoman 2 weeks ago

about / in the region of

"There's a video that went viral a few years back discussing consent using the analogy of offering some a cup of tea. Highly recommend.

If you offer someone a cup of tea and they decline, would you persistently (and perhaps forcefully) try to make them accept your tea?

Definitely not! Like most people, I need more than just their consent. I want a very enthusiastic YES please i really want a cup of tea with you! Any less than that then it's a not happening. Xx mrs bugs "

Well done Mrs Bugs, you hit the nail on the head. Enthuastic consent.

Kinda Dublin

"Not sure about others, but I've no idea who has blocked me without physically checking each profile. I don't check every single profile before I comment on a forum thread "

It's not against the rules to reply to someone in the forums who blocked you.

It's against the rules to use the forums as a loop hole to contact someone because they have you blocked.

"Not sure about others, but I've no idea who has blocked me without physically checking each profile. I don't check every single profile before I comment on a forum thread

It's not against the rules to reply to someone in the forums who blocked you.

It's against the rules to use the forums as a loop hole to contact someone because they have you blocked."

I know that

By *panishRebelMan 2 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

Consent is not just a yes

A one word uttered

Received and heard

It's got a continuous

Moment by moment

Look by look

Touch by touch

A feast of things

Emotions and notions

A no is that moment

When a halt is called

When any wonder

The desire is stalled

Be it from

Doubt or regret

From having enough

With mutual respect

Consent is finished

It's always finished when she or he says no by whatever means at whatever time.

West Cork

"Wow that got heavy.

Love it. "

Lovely

Old bog road

"Consent is not just a yes

A one word uttered

Received and heard

It's got a continuous

Moment by moment

Look by look

Touch by touch

A feast of things

Emotions and notions

A no is that moment

When a halt is called

When any wonder

The desire is stalled

Be it from

Doubt or regret

From having enough

With mutual respect

Consent is finished

It's always finished when she or he says no by whatever means at whatever time."

Excellent..

Has anybody here blocked me?

By *ollypop9Woman 2 weeks ago

wouldn't you like to know

Bringing this back to the original post. And this is from recent experience, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

I just like to clarify, if I say no to the whole concept of you making me a cup of tea, that doesn't mean that five minutes later, when my back is turned, you decide its OK to force feed me the biscuits you were going to bring with the tea earlier, without my consent.

No means no , if I say no to tea, I don't want just a little tea 5 minutes later or anything that goes along with it.

And I really hope that any of you ladies or gents, who ever find themselves in that situation, please speak up !

Its not your fault,only because we are in the scene we are in, this is still not ok.

Galway

"Bringing this back to the original post. And this is from recent experience, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

I just like to clarify, if I say no to the whole concept of you making me a cup of tea, that doesn't mean that five minutes later, when my back is turned, you decide its OK to force feed me the biscuits you were going to bring with the tea earlier, without my consent.

No means no , if I say no to tea, I don't want just a little tea 5 minutes later or anything that goes along with it.

And I really hope that any of you ladies or gents, who ever find themselves in that situation, please speak up !

Its not your fault,only because we are in the scene we are in, this is still not ok."

West Cork

"Bringing this back to the original post. And this is from recent experience, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

Its not your fault,only because we are in the scene we are in, this is still not ok."

Thanks Lolly, well said! It's mind boggling to us how anyone can think this is a contentious topic but clearly it is - that's why we think education and open discourse is so important.

Appreciate your post

By *indenMan 2 weeks ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

The whole no means yes thing seems to be confusing for some people and I think it stems from perhaps a bit of an Irish thing, out of politeness.

Some people think if you offer them a cup of tea and they say no they might mean yes but are just being polite by first saying no as they don’t want to put the person to any trouble, which leads to the go on, go on, go on situation, which I understand.

What I don’t understand is how some people seem to think this sort of thing applies to anything other than a cup of tea etc….

I had a situation a number of years ago with a lady (not from Fab) who had come to my house.

At some stage during a break between rounds of fun I asked the her if she was ok, not that anything in particular had happened, just a general are you ok, to which she replied no, I think I’m here against my will, I want you to take me home.

I sort of said what? in a laughing sort of way but she was stone faces and said it again.

Now, it turned out she was only joking or being sarcastic but unfortunately she was quite the actress and kept it going for a little longer than she should have, and it frightened the absolute shite out of me.

No one knew she was there, no one had seen her arrive and in my mind, in those few seconds/minutes anything that had happened was 100% my word against hers when it came to consent.

This was around the time of a very public trial of an Irish rugby player so this sort of situation was quite prevalent.

In the cold light of day, when I had some time to gather my thought, the situation was quite different.

I had know this lady for a number of years, we had played before, we had exchanged numerous messages which would have left absolutely no doubt when it came to consent, infact, they would have shown that she was actually the instigator of the meet, but those few seconds where she though she was being sarcastic/funny were without a doubt some of the scariest of my life.

Even if I had just met this lady on a night out and she came back to mine, there was still absolutely no doubt in my mind that I hadn’t done anything wrong, but it certainly sharpened my senses when it came to not only consent but to the proof of such.

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 30/04/24 13:24:00]

East / North, Cork

What that says to me _inden is that you're one of the good guys who not only double checked, but cared about the response. Looking after your partner and their comfort levels is important. Your partner was trying to be funny, but consent can obviously be withdrawn at any time even after a session that was consented to, so you were right to take her seriously. It's a bit of a cruel joke though!

By *iiboyMan 2 weeks ago

Tankardstown

A lot on fab have no concept or worse still acceptance of consent or what “ no thanks “ actualy means, while ive always known this. I was beyond horrified when a lady friend on fab showed me her messages recently and the amount and verocity of abuse was for me, beyond comprehension, where do you go in your head if you think that abuse of that sort changes someones mind about meeting you for sex, btw i work in mental health and even i cant figure it out

By *indenMan 2 weeks ago

"What that says to me _inden is that you're one of the good guys who not only double checked, but cared about the response. Looking after your partner and their comfort levels is important. Your partner was trying to be funny, but consent can obviously be withdrawn at any time even after a session that was consented to, so you were right to take her seriously. It's a bit of a cruel joke though!"

This particular lady really should have know better and promptly wrote out a contract of consent and signed it…….

I was bringing another lady back to my house once (prearranged, messages to show consent) and I asked her if she wanted my Eircode to let anyone know where she was going, she laughed at me……

By *ofusplusCouple 2 weeks ago

Limerick

"What that says to me _inden is that you're one of the good guys who not only double checked, but cared about the response. Looking after your partner and their comfort levels is important. Your partner was trying to be funny, but consent can obviously be withdrawn at any time even after a session that was consented to, so you were right to take her seriously. It's a bit of a cruel joke though!

This particular lady really should have know better and promptly wrote out a contract of consent and signed it…….

I was bringing another lady back to my house once (prearranged, messages to show consent) and I asked her if she wanted my Eircode to let anyone know where she was going, she laughed at me…… "

It must be terrifying for guys nowadays. I'm not laughing at that, I'd be doing the same

By *indenMan 2 weeks ago

"What that says to me _inden is that you're one of the good guys who not only double checked, but cared about the response. Looking after your partner and their comfort levels is important. Your partner was trying to be funny, but consent can obviously be withdrawn at any time even after a session that was consented to, so you were right to take her seriously. It's a bit of a cruel joke though!

I was bringing another lady back to my house once (prearranged, messages to show consent) and I asked her if she wanted my Eircode to let anyone know where she was going, she laughed at me……

It must be terrifying for guys nowadays. I'm not laughing at that, I'd be doing the same "

I think it’s probably a little easier being online where there’s at least an electronic trail etc. but I don’t think it’s anything like the fear that some have to contend with when it comes to meeting people.

I’m sure we can at least all agree that while there is a fear of accusation or false accusations it can be nothing compared to the fear of something physical, or emotional.

By *ealitybitesMan 2 weeks ago

Belfast

It must be terrifying for guys nowadays. I'm not laughing at that, I'd be doing the same

I think it’s probably a little easier being online where there’s at least an electronic trail etc. but I don’t think it’s anything like the fear that some have to contend with when it comes to meeting people.

I’m sure we can at least all agree that while there is a fear of accusation or false accusations it can be nothing compared to the fear of something physical, or emotional."

Over the years I've chatted to a few ladies who insisted that our very first meet would be in their own home.

They were well verified so I had no concerns about them being genuine but I refused on the grounds that I was a complete stranger to them and we had only exchanged a handful of messages through here.

The fact that they were comfortable inviting a complete stranger into their home after such a short correspondence really put me off for all the obvious reasons.

I know I would never cross any boundaries but they had no way of knowing that especially when we had never actually met.

By *panishRebelMan 2 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

Reading some of the stories above, remind me of situations I have been in. While there is always a leap of faith to the point of trust, it is clear to me this is best earned by meets and communication.

I can remember arriving at a woman's flat to be given her rates per hour. I had been convinced to meet at her flat after she couldn't meet at our coffee meet. It passed through my mind that there might be some thug waiting to lay into me. I left politely but sharp.

As to consent in general, it is a two way street. Traditionaly it's men who go over this line. However I have a group of friends who have been traumatised by a woman (verified by other women at the party). She wouldn't take no for an answer.

I would like to think, that all of us would treat others as we would like them to treat us. If we see others as both equal neither inferior nor superior to ourselves, then naturally we will always keep within the bounds of consent.

While I am not into BDSM, having talked with a few who are, I am impressed by how clear they are as dom and subs, with regard to consent and limits.

I feel we could all learn from this.

By *ubadubdubWoman 2 weeks ago

Hereabouts

"The whole no means yes thing seems to be confusing for some people and I think it stems from perhaps a bit of an Irish thing, out of politeness.

Some people think if you offer them a cup of tea and they say no they might mean yes but are just being polite by first saying no as they don’t want to put the person to any trouble, which leads to the go on, go on, go on situation, which I understand.

What I don’t understand is how some people seem to think this sort of thing applies to anything other than a cup of tea etc….

I had a situation a number of years ago with a lady (not from Fab) who had come to my house.

At some stage during a break between rounds of fun I asked the her if she was ok, not that anything in particular had happened, just a general are you ok, to which she replied no, I think I’m here against my will, I want you to take me home.

I sort of said what? in a laughing sort of way but she was stone faces and said it again.

Now, it turned out she was only joking or being sarcastic but unfortunately she was quite the actress and kept it going for a little longer than she should have, and it frightened the absolute shite out of me.

No one knew she was there, no one had seen her arrive and in my mind, in those few seconds/minutes anything that had happened was 100% my word against hers when it came to consent.

This was around the time of a very public trial of an Irish rugby player so this sort of situation was quite prevalent.

In the cold light of day, when I had some time to gather my thought, the situation was quite different.

I had know this lady for a number of years, we had played before, we had exchanged numerous messages which would have left absolutely no doubt when it came to consent, infact, they would have shown that she was actually the instigator of the meet, but those few seconds where she though she was being sarcastic/funny were without a doubt some of the scariest of my life.

Even if I had just met this lady on a night out and she came back to mine, there was still absolutely no doubt in my mind that I hadn’t done anything wrong, but it certainly sharpened my senses when it came to not only consent but to the proof of such."

People should not play games with your head when you're being intimate with them.

Your story reminded me.... I was with a guy once at his place, lying in his bed and he came out of the bathroom, started looking in the top drawer of his locker and turned to me with a really odd look on his face. Said to me 'what would you do if I had a gun in here'

Well he frightened the absolute shit out of me, as I explained to him as I got my clothes on and extracted myself. He said it was 'just a joke' but needless to say that was the end of that unfunny liaison.

Galway

"The whole no means yes thing seems to be confusing for some people and I think it stems from perhaps a bit of an Irish thing, out of politeness.

Even if I had just met this lady on a night out and she came back to mine, there was still absolutely no doubt in my mind that I hadn’t done anything wrong, but it certainly sharpened my senses when it came to not only consent but to the proof of such.

People should not play games with your head when you're being intimate with them.

Your story reminded me.... I was with a guy once at his place, lying in his bed and he came out of the bathroom, started looking in the top drawer of his locker and turned to me with a really odd look on his face. Said to me 'what would you do if I had a gun in here'

Well he frightened the absolute shit out of me, as I explained to him as I got my clothes on and extracted myself. He said it was 'just a joke' but needless to say that was the end of that unfunny liaison.

"

Jesus Christ what do people actually be thinking! In no way are the situations either you or _inden found yourselves in funny

By *ot so needyMan 2 weeks ago

Galway

Jesus Christ what do people actually be thinking! In no way are the situations either you or _inden found yourselves in funny "

To me that is just an asshole trying to hold the power.

To put fear into a situation and think its funny. When you meet with someone it is a vulnerable situation here you have a right to feel safe.

» Add a new message to this topic