FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Text speak!

Text speak!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Apologies in advance for the rant thread but how can so many adults use so much text speak in profiles and when mailin?!

For me personally it's a complete turn off. Plus it's hard bloody work to decipher what's actually being said!!

Rant over!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Apologies in advance for the rant thread but how can so many adults use so much text speak in profiles and when mailin?!

For me personally it's a complete turn off. Plus it's hard bloody work to decipher what's actually being said!!

Rant over!!"

would that be mailing or mailin

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

"Apologies in advance for the rant thread but how can so many adults use so much text speak in profiles and when mailin?!

Rant over!!"

R u a h8r?

I think its because a lot of people are using their phones now.. And tend to type the same as a text... I use my phone a lot on here also.. But its usually the predictive text that catches me some times

Rant over!!"

They maybe just hate using vowels? Kthx!

Why try and decipher? I just delete

So little effort shown on a profile and mail to me means very little effort will be made on a meet so not interested.

"Why try and decipher? I just delete

So little effort shown on a profile and mail to me means very little effort will be made on a meet so not interested. "

Rant over!! would that be mailing or mailin"

You beat me to that one

I must look at my profile, there could be one or two in there.

Adding to the thread, I hate when folks don't know the difference between "there" and "their"

Annoys the hell out of me!

I disregard profiles written in short text, shows no effort to me.

"Why try and decipher? I just delete

So little effort shown on a profile and mail to me means very little effort will be made on a meet so not interested. "

A friend of mine is a teacher and she corrects leaving certificate papers ( see the way I didn't say cert ha ha) and she said the level of English is very poor, students can't spell and are forever using text language

[Removed by poster at 28/05/13 18:28:17]

[Removed by poster at 28/05/13 18:28:12]

Rant over!!"

its just easier and quicker i think,i dunno why ppl go on about it!if u can read the message whats the big deal?

. Pmsl

[Removed by poster at 28/05/13 18:31:29]

Rant over!! would that be mailing or mailin "

I think everyone does speech to a certain extent but it's when it's like just letters thrown in with numbers that when I loose the plot

Lucan

Gr8. It's getting l8. I need to find a m8 to take on a d8.

Rant over!! would that be mailing or mailin I think everyone does speech to a certain extent but it's when it's like just letters thrown in with numbers that when I loose the plot "

Lol, agreed!

"Gr8. It's getting l8. I need to find a m8 to take on a d8."
that it bloody hell mind wrecking

"I think its because a lot of people are using their phones now.. And tend to type the same as a text... I use my phone a lot on here also.. But its usually the predictive text that catches me some times "

yeah it is down to smart phones alright but i think it looks better if your profile is written in proper english......sorry.... i mean correct english

Lucan

[Removed by poster at 28/05/13 21:37:36]

Lucan

Hmmm.. never mind

Spit it out man!

ah forget it!!!

Lucan

Apologies. I was slagging off the poster above me on the grounds of which County he was from, but I got the County wrong.

"I think its because a lot of people are using their phones now.. And tend to type the same as a text... I use my phone a lot on here also.. But its usually the predictive text that catches me some times

yeah it is down to smart phones alright but i think it looks better if your profile is written in proper english......sorry.... i mean correct english "

I disagree

I use a smart phone and for me the predictive text and built in spell checker are a blessing

I haven't had a great education, I left school at 14, but I do my utmost to make myself be understood by the written word. With the for mentioned tools its a breeze. Even if I have to hand write something I will draft it on a pc or phone to make sure I spell coreectly

Blaming smart phones is a lame excuse, a lazy out, like the use of text speak. If this was a teenagers forum you could accept a certain level of text speak as they use it on their phones everyday. But this site/forum is for adults, who i would hope dont text their friends/family with 'Hi how r u. Ne newz? Im g8"

My two cents!

I think everyone use'd a little short text somewhere along the line. Can understand where it can be a little O.T.T. at times making it hard to understand especially in live chat, and can see where people can get frustrated with it.

I guess over time society has become busier, people wants faster internet, they want pizza's delivered in minutes,express checkouts, faster cars,better roads and shorter journeys, instant messaging instead of emails and communication has also evolved into text speak so to say, twitter, has not helped with people squeezing as much as they can into a tweet thus promoting text speak I guess, it originally stemed from text message where you only had 160 charactors per text, if you went to 161 you got charged for an additional text, teenagers had no money so invented text speak, it's what we have become, maybe we are getting old

I still like to send the well written introduction to a lady or couple who take my fancy, I believe you stand a better chance of being accepted. And as a business man I send a hand written letter to potential new customers I'm trying to snare and surprise surprise it actually works, people seem to like it, whats seldom is wonderful they say but I guess some use tex speak to save time or becaue its handy and you'll find smart phones are against text speak as I have an iPhone and it will correct or try to correct any word that is not right, a very handy tool, mind you the odd time it make's me look like a loon

Lucan

"I guess over time society has become busier, people wants faster internet, they want pizza's delivered in minutes,express checkouts, faster cars,better roads and shorter journeys, instant messaging instead of emails and communication has also evolved into text speak so to say, twitter, has not helped with people squeezing as much as they can into a tweet thus promoting text speak I guess, it originally stemed from text message where you only had 160 charactors per text, if you went to 161 you got charged for an additional text, teenagers had no money so invented text speak, it's what we have become, maybe we are getting old

I still like to send the well written introduction to a lady or couple who take my fancy, I believe you stand a better chance of being accepted. And as a business man I send a hand written letter to potential new customers I'm trying to snare and surprise surprise it actually works, people seem to like it, whats seldom is wonderful they say but I guess some use tex speak to save time or becaue its handy and you'll find smart phones are against text speak as I have an iPhone and it will correct or try to correct any word that is not right, a very handy tool, mind you the odd time it make's me look like a loon "

Jesus!

I'm after reading it myself, JESUS is right, it didn't seem that long while I was writing it I'm finished ranting now

"I'm after reading it myself, JESUS is right, it didn't seem that long while I was writing it I'm finished ranting now "

A fellow ranter... Love it!!

[Removed by poster at 29/05/13 00:06:39]

I guess I'm not alone being a ranter then it'll make it a little easier

Lucan

Okay. I've finished reading it now, but I can't remember what it said at the start

Rule of thumb . Those who talk in text generally have very little to say ......

"Rule of thumb . Those who talk in text generally have very little to say ......"

I definitely agree!

its delete all the way

I don't agree at all .. Grammatically correct short rubbish one liners are a bigger turn off for me .. Or the one word messages .. A bit of text speak here and there doesnt bother me at all .. Alot of people are better at holding a conversation in person rather than through messages over and back .. No point being a snob about it as you can miss out on some real gems

Lucan

"I don't agree at all .. Grammatically correct short rubbish one liners are a bigger turn off for me .. Or the one word messages .. A bit of text speak here and there doesnt bother me at all .. Alot of people are better at holding a conversation in person rather than through messages over and back .. No point being a snob about it as you can miss out on some real gems "

You can do that with your age barrier as well, ya fecker ya! Right, this is all looking a bit stalky now

"I don't agree at all .. Grammatically correct short rubbish one liners are a bigger turn off for me .. Or the one word messages .. A bit of text speak here and there doesnt bother me at all .. Alot of people are better at holding a conversation in person rather than through messages over and back .. No point being a snob about it as you can miss out on some real gems

You can do that with your age barrier as well, ya fecker ya! Right, this is all looking a bit stalky now "

Mr McCarthy you stalking my arse again

Lucan

"

Mr McCarthy you stalking my arse again "

I must certainly am. I've missed it. Say hello sometime

So have we all came to a happy medium between text speak and the proper writen word then!!

By *ildOneIRLMan  over a year ago

Mid / North West

'txt spk' should be banned from all forums....

» Add a new message to this topic