FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Just a reminder about smart phones..

Just a reminder about smart phones..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Myself and others have posted before about the dangers of smart phones that take photos with automatic uploads and GPS co-ordinates - with a few recent posts about kik and other social media photo sharing sites popping up and the fact at Christmas there will probably be a lot of new smartphones about it's worth reminding people to read the manual of your phone and make sure you understand how it's file sharing works.

You don't want to take a photo and suddenly discover it has just been automatically uploaded to your facebook/instagram/whatever account for all to see

The GPS I refer to will allow anyone with basic knowledge of how those things work to look up the exif data in the photo (or even post to an online finding service) and very quickly get a rough idea (within 300 feet) of where the photo was taken

So, either switch off that function or remove the data from your pictures with a data scrubber (just search google for exif data scrubber)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ourneCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

we use batch purifier .. although sometimes in the excitement we tend to forget to run pics through purifier lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i dont understand much of this..... but how do u know a scrubber isnt ollecting simlar info?

By *omcattyMan  over a year ago

Local

"Myself and others have posted before about the dangers of smart phones that take photos with automatic uploads and GPS co-ordinates - with a few recent posts about kik and other social media photo sharing sites popping up and the fact at Christmas there will probably be a lot of new smartphones about it's worth reminding people to read the manual of your phone and make sure you understand how it's file sharing works.

You don't want to take a photo and suddenly discover it has just been automatically uploaded to your facebook/instagram/whatever account for all to see

The GPS I refer to will allow anyone with basic knowledge of how those things work to look up the exif data in the photo (or even post to an online finding service) and very quickly get a rough idea (within 300 feet) of where the photo was taken

So, either switch off that function or remove the data from your pictures with a data scrubber (just search google for exif data scrubber) "

Must say I dont know a lot about data,,,,but scrubbers now thats a different matter,,,,

"Myself and others have posted before about the dangers of smart phones that take photos with automatic uploads and GPS co-ordinates - with a few recent posts about kik and other social media photo sharing sites popping up and the fact at Christmas there will probably be a lot of new smartphones about it's worth reminding people to read the manual of your phone and make sure you understand how it's file sharing works.

So, either switch off that function or remove the data from your pictures with a data scrubber (just search google for exif data scrubber)

Must say I dont know a lot about data,,,,but scrubbers now thats a different matter,,,, "

sounds about right

Must say I dont know a lot about data,,,,but scrubbers now thats a different matter,,,, "

why???? Cause you have to scrub so often?????... You should consult someone bout that...

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As far as I know the data scrubbers you use on your PC (at least the one I use) don't send any info out so it's not "collecting" anything. If you are concerned about data harvesting a decent firewall will let you know if any application you are using is trying to "phone home" but the real point of using them is to stop picture collectors you send photos to identifying the area you live in, and therefore maybe identifying you. If you are sending photos over the internet you can't be too careful

» Add a new message to this topic