FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > overtaking

overtaking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Can anybody explain the reasoning behind overtaking somebody on a motorway and then pulling back in to the inside lane and slowing down to a speed lower than the car you had just passed?

Is there a reason for it? Or just to be a dick head?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not to stereotype but I have noticed a lot of ROI number plates around my local area recently and you guys are terrible drivers...changing lanes without indicating, pulling out in front of other cars, speeding...shocking...

That is just a massive generalisation. And unfortunately not solely on ROI plates. NI plates speed down here all the time cuz they can get away with it. Or at least used be able anyway

nothing as bad your on the motorway car stays behind you for ages then overtakes and then there flatout really bugs me don't know why they just cant overtake and be done with it lol oh the joys of motoring

"Can anybody explain the reasoning behind overtaking somebody on a motorway and then pulling back in to the inside lane and slowing down to a speed lower than the car you had just passed?

Is there a reason for it? Or just to be a dick head?"

......subconscious. ...I use cruise control all the time. ..and have noticed the same car passing and then dropping back...people get distracted and can't maintain a steady speed. ..

By *owdyBoobyMan  over a year ago

limerick

"Can anybody explain the reasoning behind overtaking somebody on a motorway and then pulling back in to the inside lane and slowing down to a speed lower than the car you had just passed?

Is there a reason for it? Or just to be a dick head?"

Road rage much.

Road rage much."

none at all. Not attached to that post anyway. I just find that silly. Now don't get me started on those that forget about indicating. Or not knowing how to use a roundabout.

Road rage much.none at all. Not attached to that post anyway. I just find that silly. Now don't get me started on those that forget about indicating. Or not knowing how to use a roundabout.

"

......There used to be three c's on the back of a northern licence. ...care courtesy and consideration. ...sadly lacking on the roads atm.....

Whats with people in the overtake lane using it as a speed lane, overtaking everyone going the limit.

If everyone is going the limit the overtake limit should be empty.

Irish people are awful on motorways. How many in Ireland didnt even do a test, most have never been on a motorway before, most just op on the m50 for one exit now and again.

Whats with people not getting up to speed on on ramps, and not slowing down on off ramps.

You have people in Ireland join the motorway at 60-80kph on a regular basis.

Dont even get me started on people coming to the city and not knowing where they are going.

I mean I had people drive around me to go into the yellow box infront of me, to sit in traffic at least 6 times in the last year.

Dont get me started on Dublin cyclists, or pedestrians. The speed limit is lower so people just walk out into traffic, most of them dont even look now, and cyclists? They pretty much ignore every rule of the road.

"Whats with people in the overtake lane using it as a speed lane, overtaking everyone going the limit.

Irish people are awful on motorways. How many in Ireland didnt even do a test, most have never been on a motorway before, most just op on the m50 for one exit now and again.

Whats with people not getting up to speed on on ramps, and not slowing down on off ramps.

Dont even get me started on people coming to the city and not knowing where they are going.

I mean I had people drive around me to go into the yellow box infront of me, to sit in traffic at least 6 times in the last year.

Dont get me started on Dublin cyclists, or pedestrians. The speed limit is lower so people just walk out into traffic, most of them dont even look now, and cyclists? They pretty much ignore every rule of the road."

epic rant

limerick

Road rage much.none at all. Not attached to that post anyway. I just find that silly. Now don't get me started on those that forget about indicating. Or not knowing how to use a roundabout.

"

Agrees most ppl don't know muxh about using lanes at a round about.

It's as well to remember that there is no such thing as a good driver, just different degrees of bad ones.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

"Whats with people in the overtake lane using it as a speed lane, overtaking everyone going the limit.

Dont get me started on Dublin cyclists, or pedestrians. The speed limit is lower so people just walk out into traffic, most of them dont even look now, and cyclists? They pretty much ignore every rule of the road."

and breath

...your not conor faughnan by any chance?.....he knows everything about driving on irish roads too.....

By *ceryMan  over a year ago

Malahide & Waterford

How do I get off my soap book on this one. I do a well well above average mileage both here and abroad.

You see them for miles behind, creep up and tail gate u, then make a slow overtaking move only to then immedialty reduce speed which slows you down, unless you recover take.

Also there's a lot of people who do overtake an continue on there way but when overtaking they slow down to your speed for what feels like several k's then put a spurt on to overtake.

Malahide & Waterford

"How do I get off my soap book on this one. I do a well well above average mileage both here and abroad.

You see them for miles behind, creep up and tail gate u, then make a slow overtaking move only to then immedialty reduce speed which slows you down, unless you recover take.

Also there's a lot of people who do overtake an continue on there way but when overtaking they slow down to your speed for what feels like several k's then put a spurt on to overtake.

BUT the main thing I've learnt over the years is do not let it get to you. If you think ahead and anticipate you'll quite often get to your journey's end sooner than they....

"

"Not to stereotype but I have noticed a lot of ROI number plates around my local area recently and you guys are terrible drivers...changing lanes without indicating, pulling out in front of other cars, speeding...shocking..."

Give us a chance, we've only had motorways for a generation. Sure, we have adverts on at primetime showing us how to use a roundabout...

limerick

We're historically more used to dodging potholes than driving straight motorways.

By *ojos jugsWoman  over a year ago

Bangor

Mayb they jus don't like the look of ur rear lol

"... and cyclists? They pretty much ignore every rule of the road."

Now who's generalising? I cycle in Dublin all the time, and the lack of space and due care and attention given to cyclists is shocking - but of course I'll add in there 'but not by all motorists'.

Some of you could do without texting while driving and drifting into the meagre scrap of cycle lane. Some.

"... and cyclists? They pretty much ignore every rule of the road.

Now who's generalising? I cycle in Dublin all the time, and the lack of space and due care and attention given to cyclists is shocking - but of course I'll add in there 'but not by all motorists'.

Some of you could do without texting while driving and drifting into the meagre scrap of cycle lane. Some. "

You mean cyclists use the cycle lane? Come on, go into the city and stand at a red light and count the cycles that go through it, if it a T junction every cyclist will.

How many of them use proper hand signals? how many of them wear helmets? How many of them do dodgy stuff like continue straight on as a car turns left. I even seen a cyclist cycle slowly infront of a a fire engine with all its lights on, seen them go wrong way down one way street. Do they ever stop at pedestrian crossings for the red light?

Cyclists who pop up on the path and back down because there is not enough room, then the bus that just got past them has to slow down again.

I have seen busses drive down the n11 at a snails pace because a cyclist is in the bus lane and not the cycle path.

If the cycle path has a solid line you're not supposed to cross it to over take, how often do people just pop out onto the road to over take?

Cyclists in Dublin are awful.

I had already complained about drivers in Dublin, they are bad but cyclists in Dublin are really bad.

People who cruise in the middle lane are worse. Then they have the cheek to go potty when you undertake them.... Shocking just shocking!!!!!

I overtook a car sitting on side of road on Friday n as I was passing didn't the stupid woman pull out n cleaned the whole side of my car! gutted! she was 85 years old! coffin dodgers should not be aloud on the road lol

"I had already complained about drivers in Dublin, they are bad but cyclists in Dublin are really bad."

Yes some of us do use the cycle lane - but equally, there is no compulsion to. It's not the line of the law that they have to. Pinch points probably mean they won't. And how many drivers stay out of the ASL area where they aren't meant to be? And how often do we end up using the road because that one scrappy bit of ground is covered in swept glass, usually where some motorist has rear ended another car.

Again, there's no line of the law where they have to wear helmets - and if you kept your distance, there'd probably be less of a need to.

How many cars, fully aware that they're crossing the cycle lane, check to see that they aren't crossing the path of an already-travelling cyclist? The bus lanes you mentioned? Shared with cyclists, just like the big road sign says.

And don't say none of them stop at reds; Amber gamblers and the like are just as bad on four wheels.

And so it goes on. At the end of the day, you made a sweeping generalisation. Rarely do hear of a bicycle wiping the four passengers in a travelling motor car.

There's room for everyone; just take a deep breath and share the road.

"I had already complained about drivers in Dublin, they are bad but cyclists in Dublin are really bad.

Yes some of us do use the cycle lane - but equally, there is no compulsion to. It's not the line of the law that they have to. Pinch points probably mean they won't. And how many drivers stay out of the ASL area where they aren't meant to be? And how often do we end up using the road because that one scrappy bit of ground is covered in swept glass, usually where some motorist has rear ended another car.

Again, there's no line of the law where they have to wear helmets - and if you kept your distance, there'd probably be less of a need to.

How many cars, fully aware that they're crossing the cycle lane, check to see that they aren't crossing the path of an already-travelling cyclist? The bus lanes you mentioned? Shared with cyclists, just like the big road sign says.

And don't say none of them stop at reds; Amber gamblers and the like are just as bad on four wheels.

And so it goes on. At the end of the day, you made a sweeping generalisation. Rarely do hear of a bicycle wiping the four passengers in a travelling motor car.

"

.... Feel better now?

I've found Audi Q3 drivers to be particularly dodgy lately.....Does anyone own one of them?!

Malahide & Waterford

"I've found Audi Q3 drivers to be particularly dodgy lately.....Does anyone own one of them?! "

They used to be BMW drivers who changed to Audi's thinking one one would notice ...

[Removed by poster at 30/03/15 14:39:15]

By *randub69Man  over a year ago

city

"I overtook a car sitting on side of road on Friday n as I was passing didn't the stupid woman pull out n cleaned the whole side of my car! gutted! she was 85 years old! coffin dodgers should not be aloud on the road lol"

the poor woman..I hope she was okay.

All I can say is that 80 of Irish drivers don't have a clue about driving don't know what indicators are for and don't know how to make right or left hand turns with out going all the way to the right to.make a left hand turn or all the way to the left to make a right turn

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

"All I can say is that 80 of Irish drivers don't have a clue about driving don't know what indicators are for and don't know how to make right or left hand turns with out going all the way to the right to.make a left hand turn or all the way to the left to make a right turn "

Lol, that thing about drivers swinging right just before attempting to turn hard left always amuses me. If you swing at the last moment like that you only serve to make the turn more difficult. People should be made do it with a 6m long triple axle Ifor Williams trailer in tow and they'd soon realise the folly of their ways.

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

"I had already complained about drivers in Dublin, they are bad but cyclists in Dublin are really bad.

"

Well said! when cycling in Dublin you've to be very aware of your surroundings. Looking out for drivers not signalling not giving adequate clearance. Pedestrians throwing themselves out into traffic with not a care in the world. It makes me a much more aware Car driver as a result I think. my two most recent accidents have been people in cars opening doors when 'stuck in traffic' without looking. I'd a near miss with a taxi driver doing that last year. Not come off in over five years (touch wood)....

I had a cyclist crash into the side of my car as I was stationary in traffic because he was too impatient to wait for traffic to clear and 'tried' swerve around me.

Picked himself up and fucked off. Left me with a bill for 300 quid in repairs.

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

"I had a cyclist crash into the side of my car as I was stationary in traffic because he was too impatient to wait for traffic to clear and 'tried' swerve around me.

Picked himself up and fucked off. Left me with a bill for 300 quid in repairs. "

Sadly there's assholes everywhere

Dont get me started on Dublin cyclists, or pedestrians. The speed limit is lower so people just walk out into traffic, most of them dont even look now, and cyclists? They pretty much ignore every rule of the road....your not conor faughnan by any chance?.....he knows everything about driving on irish roads too..... "

Maybe hes an irish American. They know absolutely everything about Ireland

"All I can say is that 80 of Irish drivers don't have a clue about driving don't know what indicators are for and don't know how to make right or left hand turns with out going all the way to the right to.make a left hand turn or all the way to the left to make a right turn

Lol, that thing about drivers swinging right just before attempting to turn hard left always amuses me. If you swing at the last moment like that you only serve to make the turn more difficult. People should be made do it with a 6m long triple axle Ifor Williams trailer in tow and they'd soon realise the folly of their ways. "

I agree with you 100%

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

What is it on motor ways people use the right lane to tip along at 100kph and think u have to stay behind them both lanes have 120kph limits once ur under the limit u can cruise past them on the inside lane so less of the fist shaking and get a few driving lesson

"What is it on motor ways people use the right lane to tip along at 100kph and think u have to stay behind them both lanes have 120kph limits once ur under the limit u can cruise past them on the inside lane so less of the fist shaking and get a few driving lesson "

Oh I prefer to pull alongside in the inside lane & match their speed watching all the traffic building up behind them but never letting them overtake & pull in.

limerick

"What is it on motor ways people use the right lane to tip along at 100kph and think u have to stay behind them both lanes have 120kph limits once ur under the limit u can cruise past them on the inside lane so less of the fist shaking and get a few driving lesson

Oh I prefer to pull alongside in the inside lane & match their speed watching all the traffic building up behind them but never letting them overtake & pull in."

Ur just cruel I'd be up ur ass flashing pressure building to a massive explosion to release the frustration

"What is it on motor ways people use the right lane to tip along at 100kph and think u have to stay behind them both lanes have 120kph limits once ur under the limit u can cruise past them on the inside lane so less of the fist shaking and get a few driving lesson

Oh I prefer to pull alongside in the inside lane & match their speed watching all the traffic building up behind them but never letting them overtake & pull in.

Ur just cruel I'd be up ur ass flashing pressure building to a massive explosion to release the frustration "

It'd be my headlights on if you were approaching my rear.

By *ean0001Man  over a year ago

Dublin West

I detect a little tension in this forum..

Cant think why.....

Stay Safe out there people !!!

limerick

Ur just cruel I'd be up ur ass flashing pressure building to a massive explosion to release the frustration

It'd be my headlights on if you were approaching my rear.

"

Headlights would u not have ur hazards on reversing if u like u can go beep beep beep as u back up

» Add a new message to this topic