FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Learning to speak Irish

Learning to speak Irish

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Going back to the books again to learn Irish for a project coming up next year. Should have paid more attention back in my school days. So has anyone any tips or useful info. Cheers

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pay more attention this time...

Best advice I can think of ( as an Irish speaker ) OP, is try to listen to Con na Mara based podcasts or broadcasts on Radio na Gaeltachta each day. Its genuine Connaught Irish and I'm sure U'll be amazed by d amount of terminology u pick up. Beir Bua !

Cheers lad

The duolingo app isn't bad either, there is rosetta stone software for Irish as well very expensive but can be pirated on katproxy

By *ustjimmykerryMan  over a year ago

Limerick

The only way to learn the language is to head down to a gaeltacht and emerse yourself in the language, If you could try and find a host family better again, and spend two weeks with them speaking nothing but the language,best of luck with it

Gaelchultur run irish courses in dublin 2

Best of luck and fair play, I would love to learn to speak fluent Irish

Cheers guys. I'm doing it for a good cause so it's a win win situation. I get to learn the language and others will benefit from our work

By *osafewordneededMan  over a year ago

City

It's easier to learn a language as an adult.

For example it can take a kid 16 years to get up to highschool grade French, but an adult can do it in a year.

Try memrise, its a site that helps you memorise things. Accept you will make mistakes, accept it is hard, and just keep going with it.

http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/irish/

"Best of luck and fair play, I would love to learn to speak fluent Irish "

It's never too late to learn!

"Best of luck and fair play, I would love to learn to speak fluent Irish

It's never too late to learn! "

Very true!! I'm back to college in sept for 3 years so maybe after that

"It's easier to learn a language as an adult.

For example it can take a kid 16 years to get up to highschool grade French, but an adult can do it in a year.

Try memrise, its a site that helps you memorise things. Accept you will make mistakes, accept it is hard, and just keep going with it.

http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/irish/

"

It's easier to learn as a child actually especially up until 5 as a child's mind is like a sponge, the older you are the harder it is to learn a new language actually

By *0shadesofashWoman  over a year ago

DUBLIN

I went to an all Irish school we had to do everything threw Irish now I can't speak a word of it only the odd few sentences haha

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"I went to an all Irish school we had to do everything threw Irish now I can't speak a word of it only the odd few sentences haha "

but you speak fluent d*unk ash lol

By *osafewordneededMan  over a year ago

City

"It's easier to learn as a child actually especially up until 5 as a child's mind is like a sponge, the older you are the harder it is to learn a new language actually"

That's been proven an old myth, there isn't a single fluent 5 year old on the planet. Most polyglots learn their other languages as adults.

As an adult you can learn a rule once, and apply it to the whole language, a 5 year old child cant do that.

It's an old wives' tale, adults learn much quicker. You can become fluent french in less than a year, a 5 year old cant.

You can get an adult english speaker up to a five year olds level of french/german/spanish in a week.

Neuroplasticity is the brains ability to adapt and learn, typically it peaks at age 18, not 5. It then slowly gets slower. However this process is due to us simply not learning much anymore, as we typically get into a job working. It's been proven our brains can change until old age. For example people who undergo the knowledge test in london have the size of regions of their brains change, typically most people doing the knowledge in london are 30+

Anyway, yeah, adults learn faster.

By *0shadesofashWoman  over a year ago

DUBLIN

"I went to an all Irish school we had to do everything threw Irish now I can't speak a word of it only the odd few sentences haha

but you speak fluent d*unk ash lol"

fluent stupit haha

"It's easier to learn as a child actually especially up until 5 as a child's mind is like a sponge, the older you are the harder it is to learn a new language actually

That's been proven an old myth, there isn't a single fluent 5 year old on the planet. Most polyglots learn their other languages as adults.

As an adult you can learn a rule once, and apply it to the whole language, a 5 year old child cant do that.

It's an old wives' tale, adults learn much quicker. You can become fluent french in less than a year, a 5 year old cant.

You can get an adult english speaker up to a five year olds level of french/german/spanish in a week.

Neuroplasticity is the brains ability to adapt and learn, typically it peaks at age 18, not 5. It then slowly gets slower. However this process is due to us simply not learning much anymore, as we typically get into a job working. It's been proven our brains can change until old age. For example people who undergo the knowledge test in london have the size of regions of their brains change, typically most people doing the knowledge in london are 30+

Anyway, yeah, adults learn faster."

Go tell that to my three cousins who are only 5 and can switch between English and Russian without a problem. If you make wild sweeping statements make sure you have stuff to back it up proper well cited references. No Wikipedia or pseudoscience articles

I speeka dee engliss... I learn it from a boook....

"The only way to learn the language is to head down to a gaeltacht and emerse yourself in the language, If you could try and find a host family better again, and spend two weeks with them speaking nothing but the language,best of luck with it"

But make sure U go to a gaeltacht in ur own Provence.....a friend of mine from east Cork once went to Irish classes in England. The teacher was from Donegal and the results were not good......funny as hell to listen to him, but like hearing a cat bark

» Add a new message to this topic