FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > too much alcohol

too much alcohol

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isdirtygirl OP   Woman  over a year ago

Dublin

Ok so a barman has been found guilty of manslaughter in france for allowing a man to drink 56 shots during a drinking competition where the man died afterwards. Whos responsible here? Ireland has a huge drinking culture,are barmen going to be held accountable here too?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Ok so a barman has been found guilty of manslaughter in france for allowing a man to drink 56 shots during a drinking competition where the man died afterwards. Whos responsible here? Ireland has a huge drinking culture,are barmen going to be held accountable here too? "

Did that not happen here a few years ago?

Dublin

"Ok so a barman has been found guilty of manslaughter in france for allowing a man to drink 56 shots during a drinking competition where the man died afterwards. Whos responsible here? Ireland has a huge drinking culture,are barmen going to be held accountable here too?

Did that not happen here a few years ago?"

Ive no idea, ive just heard about the barman in france and asked about its effects here

Barmen are already accountable here. They are legally obliged to not serve you any more alcohol once they deem you to have had too much. Same as security before you even get inside.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

well you can be refused drink in ireland for being intoxicated so i blame the the bar staff they should have refused to serve him.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"Barmen are already accountable here. They are legally obliged to not serve you any more alcohol once they deem you to have had too much. Same as security before you even get inside. "

Somebody has to be responsible but I don't think it's fair that the barman is being responsible in this case...

The bar staff has a certain level of responsibility of course but he/she can't force anybody to stop or not stop drinking. At the end of the day it's the responsibility of thine own self, I mean you know your limits & you know drinking yourself into a stuper isn't a great idea....

As a person who drank a great deal in my time , I don't remember anyone holding my nose or twisting my arm.

Be careful it kinda sneaks up on you, it is the responsibility of the imbiber but hate the way a bar will serve you all day and then when your pissed throw you out

"Ok so a barman has been found guilty of manslaughter in france for allowing a man to drink 56 shots during a drinking competition where the man died afterwards. Whos responsible here? Ireland has a huge drinking culture,are barmen going to be held accountable here too? "
i have seen barmen refuse people drink as they have "had enough"! Competition or not he shouldnt of kept giving him them

We are all adults surely, and capable of taking responsibility for ourselves?

Anyone who can't shouldn't be drinking.

they are legally obliged but they don't lol

Public houses and their staff have previously been named in Proceedings were someone left their premises d*unk and drove and killed themselves and/or others in a RTA. I've never seen them be sued successfully though.

By *owdyBoobyMan  over a year ago

limerick

Cant ever see a senario were a publian is done for his customers death due to drink driving unless the barman was explicitly aware of the customers inclination to drive.

Where I do think it comes into effect is when a customer gets so d*unk they collapse in the toilet and choke on their own vomit in that case some responsibility lies with the alcohol server.

Happened in Thurles a few years back I think. In hayes hotel.

"Cant ever see a senario were a publian is done for his customers death due to drink driving unless the barman was explicitly aware of the customers inclination to drive.

Where I do think it comes into effect is when a customer gets so d*unk they collapse in the toilet and choke on their own vomit in that case some responsibility lies with the alcohol server."

the responsibility lies with the server. It's clear cut. Simple as. No sometimes or some.

A bar man in Hayes in thurlas was tried for this after serving an English guy a cocktail of all the shorts behind the bar. Not sure what the out come was

Can we blame Visa or Mastercard?

[Removed by poster at 28/05/15 17:47:40]

As a barman I can tell you for a fact that it is illegal to ignore the welfare and the wellbeing of a customer and that bar staff are indeed liable in the eyes of the law as informed by the PSNI and Vintners Association should anything happen to the customer!

I have had a run in with the police over d*unk customers on two occasions. On both occasions I had refused the customer point blank but due to accidents the suffered elsewhere the police came and questioned me!

I taught you were d*unk again missyd

Dublin

"I taught you were d*unk again missyd "

I dont do d*unk kears..slightly inebriated maybe! the 2 black eyes from the ground hitting me in the face when I was 17 from drinking vodka taught me a hard lesson

Dublin

"As a barman I can tell you for a fact that it is illegal to ignore the welfare and the wellbeing of a customer and that bar staff are indeed liable in the eyes of the law as informed by the PSNI and Vintners Association should anything happen to the customer!

I have had a run in with the police over d*unk customers on two occasions. On both occasions I had refused the customer point blank but due to accidents the suffered elsewhere the police came and questioned me! "

Oh dear!! Ive learned new things today as I wasnt aware of the law regarding barstaff and customers

Yeah, the judge directed the jury to find the 2 barmen not guilty of manslaughter in Tipp.

They do have a responsibility to their customers & most of them are.

By *owdyBoobyMan  over a year ago

limerick

"Cant ever see a senario were a publian is done for his customers death due to drink driving unless the barman was explicitly aware of the customers inclination to drive.

Where I do think it comes into effect is when a customer gets so d*unk they collapse in the toilet and choke on their own vomit in that case some responsibility lies with the alcohol server.the responsibility lies with the server. It's clear cut. Simple as. No sometimes or some. "

Ah cop the feck on its a 2 way street. Only way a barman\premises is 100% at fault is if the drink is all free or knowingly spiked.

Where I do think it comes into effect is when a customer gets so d*unk they collapse in the toilet and choke on their own vomit in that case some responsibility lies with the alcohol server.the responsibility lies with the server. It's clear cut. Simple as. No sometimes or some.

Ah cop the feck on its a 2 way street. Only way a barman\premises is 100% at fault is if the drink is all free or knowingly spiked."

the law isn't a 2 way street. If you want to hold a different opinion to the law... go ahead.

By *at-cWoman  over a year ago

Ballyshannon

It's been to the High Court already and the ruling was that in this case the elderly man who was served pints of Guiness and allowed drive away was not failed by the establishment in their duty of care. The judge found it placed an impossible burden on the landlords and legislature doesn't allow for this responsibility at that moment. I don't know if this has changed since, but the fact the DPP feels there is enough to file charges and bring it to court makes it seem likely some onus will be placed on them eventually.

Where there is no precedence the court will be influenced by international rulings, if at some point a case comes up abroad where the publican is found guilty it will may the outlook of the Irish courts.

In Ireland now there is the 60:40 rule I think, where if you knowingly get in a car with a d*unk person and they crash causing you injury and you seek to claim, the courts will find you 40% responsible for your injuries as you chose to take the risk.

Ballyshannon

[Removed by poster at 28/05/15 19:17:39]

Ballyshannon

*subject to appeal, it will change the outlook of the Irish courts.

The barman and the bar owner are responsible as they can be prosecuted under crinimal law through safety legislation where they have allowed someone within their "workplace" to get into a state when they knew the person would suffer ill effects. I understand they wouldnt have known they would die however they have a duty of care to people in the premises. Just surprised it doesnt happen more in ireland!

Ballyshannon

I think it will happen much more if any appeal of the French case fails. Struggling bars will find it hard to meet the increased insurance prices!

I worked in pubs for years in Dublin city centre. In one pub we had a group of regulars who would queue in the mornings to get in to the bar. One lady who was unfortunately an alcoholic was hospitalised due to her disease, no one thought she would pull through but she did and was warned by the doctors never to drink again. Her family came to the pub and asked us to not serve her if she came in looking for drink

She came in afew wks later and ordered a vodka from me, I apologised and told her I couldn't serve her. My manager pulled me aside and demanded I serve her. She wasn't d*unk so had no legal standing to refuse her but I felt morally obliged to refuse her due to her families wishes (I come from a family of alcoholics)

So my manager served her and I stuck to my guns and never poured her a drop.

The laws in Ireland are often over looked. I can guarantee you every person who's worked outside the city centre can tell you stories of guards who come in at last orders for lock ins and drive home aswell

Dublin

"I worked in pubs for years in Dublin city centre. In one pub we had a group of regulars who would queue in the mornings to get in to the bar. One lady who was unfortunately an alcoholic was hospitalised due to her disease, no one thought she would pull through but she did and was warned by the doctors never to drink again. Her family came to the pub and asked us to not serve her if she came in looking for drink

She came in afew wks later and ordered a vodka from me, I apologised and told her I couldn't serve her. My manager pulled me aside and demanded I serve her. She wasn't d*unk so had no legal standing to refuse her but I felt morally obliged to refuse her due to her families wishes (I come from a family of alcoholics)

So my manager served her and I stuck to my guns and never poured her a drop.

The laws in Ireland are often over looked. I can guarantee you every person who's worked outside the city centre can tell you stories of guards who come in at last orders for lock ins and drive home aswell "

Catch 22 im afraid damned if you do and damned if you dont

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

It's not long ago if I went into the local for a pint and the local gaurds was there with his uniform on under his jacket drinking a pint I'd turn and leave. Cause u knew at 11.00 he be outside the door pulling if he had civies on it was going to be a lock in

I was in the local disco bar last Saturday I seen young people aged 18 19 etc slamming down hardcore shorts with some even drinking jack d whiskey and mixing it with Jamson now that was shocking I know that pub don't care aslong as there getting the profit but there will never be control over it as most will just do it at home before they hit the clubs and discos

Dublin

"I was in the local disco bar last Saturday I seen young people aged 18 19 etc slamming down hardcore shorts with some even drinking jack d whiskey and mixing it with Jamson now that was shocking I know that pub don't care aslong as there getting the profit but there will never be control over it as most will just do it at home before they hit the clubs and discos "

that seems to be the in thing these days, drinking while getting ready to go out for a drink, our local serves black out trays which has 2 vodkas and redbull, a pint of cider,, 2 bottles of alco pops and a jaeger bomb for 20 euro. I'd be in a coma never mind blacking out

"I was in the local disco bar last Saturday I seen young people aged 18 19 etc slamming down hardcore shorts with some even drinking jack d whiskey and mixing it with Jamson now that was shocking I know that pub don't care aslong as there getting the profit but there will never be control over it as most will just do it at home before they hit the clubs and discos

that seems to be the in thing these days, drinking while getting ready to go out for a drink, our local serves black out trays which has 2 vodkas and redbull, a pint of cider,, 2 bottles of alco pops and a jaeger bomb for 20 euro. I'd be in a coma never mind blacking out "

like that's what I'm saying I know I can't handle those shorts one or 2 shots at the end of the nite is all good for me after that I'm asking for trouble but all that booze for Notting is way too much

When I was young going through college I worked in a bar!

I served a guy one night who went out and ended up killing one of my best friends!

He was a d*unk driver and left my friend to die,I've never worked in a bar since!

It broke my heart it still does

"When I was young going through college I worked in a bar!

I served a guy one night who went out and ended up killing one of my best friends!

He was a d*unk driver and left my friend to die,I've never worked in a bar since!

It broke my heart it still does "

Holy shit that's awful!!

Holy shit that's awful!!"

True story! Swear on my life....

20+ yrs

Dublin

Holy shit that's awful!!

True story! Swear on my life....

20+ yrs "

awww sorry to hear that Annie xxx

It broke my heart it still does "

Aww Annie, you poor thing, I don't know what to say...

Thanks guys...

Didn't post for sympathy but it still upsets me,and when I hear of publicans serving drink to well oiled people it does my head in

"I was in the local disco bar last Saturday I seen young people aged 18 19 etc slamming down hardcore shorts with some even drinking jack d whiskey and mixing it with Jamson now that was shocking I know that pub don't care aslong as there getting the profit but there will never be control over it as most will just do it at home before they hit the clubs and discos

that seems to be the in thing these days, drinking while getting ready to go out for a drink, our local serves black out trays which has 2 vodkas and redbull, a pint of cider,, 2 bottles of alco pops and a jaeger bomb for 20 euro. I'd be in a coma never mind blacking out "

I know a pub that does a 70cl bottle of vodka and 4 mixers for 40 quid. We drank 1 each one night out. Plus shots each time we went up for a new bottle.

I've on more than one occasion drank 15-20 shots on a night out. Been stupid d*unk. Should I have been served? Probably not. Was I a danger to myself... probably. Thankfully don't do that shit anymore

No point people saying it's on the d*unk person to stop drinking. That doesn't happen. When you are d*unk you lose all sense and reason.

the barman was apparently egging the chap on

Dublin

that seems to be the in thing these days, drinking while getting ready to go out for a drink, our local serves black out trays which has 2 vodkas and redbull, a pint of cider,, 2 bottles of alco pops and a jaeger bomb for 20 euro. I'd be in a coma never mind blacking out I know a pub that does a 70cl bottle of vodka and 4 mixers for 40 quid. We drank 1 each one night out. Plus shots each time we went up for a new bottle.

I've on more than one occasion drank 15-20 shots on a night out. Been stupid d*unk. Should I have been served? Probably not. Was I a danger to myself... probably. Thankfully don't do that shit anymore

No point people saying it's on the d*unk person to stop drinking. That doesn't happen. When you are d*unk you lose all sense and reason. "

Jesus how are you alive?? ye must have the constitution of a horse!!

that seems to be the in thing these days, drinking while getting ready to go out for a drink, our local serves black out trays which has 2 vodkas and redbull, a pint of cider,, 2 bottles of alco pops and a jaeger bomb for 20 euro. I'd be in a coma never mind blacking out I know a pub that does a 70cl bottle of vodka and 4 mixers for 40 quid. We drank 1 each one night out. Plus shots each time we went up for a new bottle.

No point people saying it's on the d*unk person to stop drinking. That doesn't happen. When you are d*unk you lose all sense and reason. "

jeez lad that ha bad news writen all over it id be dead that's the truth I stick too my few pints now days on the Saturday nites does me grand but again what sort of bar man would serve that that's unreal

I have stood at a bar - drank double shots - drank em - signaled the bar man to pour more - drank them - and got more. 6 shots within 3 mins. no questions asked. I was a paying customer.

Dublin

"I have stood at a bar - drank double shots - drank em - signaled the bar man to pour more - drank them - and got more. 6 shots within 3 mins. no questions asked. I was a paying customer. "

You were sober at the time? Or in a barmans point of view, not falling over or being rowdy?

I think once you don't vomit over the customers your deemed as "grand"

"I have stood at a bar - drank double shots - drank em - signaled the bar man to pour more - drank them - and got more. 6 shots within 3 mins. no questions asked. I was a paying customer.

You were sober at the time? Or in a barmans point of view, not falling over or being rowdy? "

Ive a remarkable ability to seem sober when I need to be

Dublin

"I have stood at a bar - drank double shots - drank em - signaled the bar man to pour more - drank them - and got more. 6 shots within 3 mins. no questions asked. I was a paying customer.

You were sober at the time? Or in a barmans point of view, not falling over or being rowdy? Ive a remarkable ability to seem sober when I need to be "

I have the remarkable ability to get into pubs without being asked for id,, the bastards

You were sober at the time? Or in a barmans point of view, not falling over or being rowdy? Ive a remarkable ability to seem sober when I need to be

I have the remarkable ability to get into pubs without being asked for id,, the bastards "

I got served my first drink in a bar at age 14

Dirty wat were u banned 4

Dublin

You were sober at the time? Or in a barmans point of view, not falling over or being rowdy? Ive a remarkable ability to seem sober when I need to be

I have the remarkable ability to get into pubs without being asked for id,, the bastards I got served my first drink in a bar at age 14 "

That doesnt surprise me hightower

Dublin

"Dirty wat were u banned 4"

Well I wasn't d*unk anyway!

Randy doesn't like getting pissed but enjoys a regular state of tipsyness.

» Add a new message to this topic