FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > coming out of retirement

coming out of retirement

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aid back OP   Man  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

after coaching a lads soccer team for a number of years they are moving into tje senior leagues and myself and the other coach have decided to come out of retirement and be player managers. so I have a question anyone any tips on how to get match fit quick enough without or limiting the risk of injury iv to take it easy enough on my knee ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"after coaching a lads soccer team for a number of years they are moving into tje senior leagues and myself and the other coach have decided to come out of retirement and be player managers. so I have a question anyone any tips on how to get match fit quick enough without or limiting the risk of injury iv to take it easy enough on my knee ?"

Best advice is to talk to a physio about it, they'll advise you on what you can and can't do after injuries,

Even a few games of 5 a side on the astro for couple weeks and some swimming which would me gental on the knee id imagin mate ... or as above a physo will have great advice

Start with 2 or 3 long lung busting training sessions and then get in a couple of friendly games.

"Start with 2 or 3 long lung busting training sessions and then get in a couple of friendly games. "

Yea !!!

absolutely NOT this Laid

"Start with 2 or 3 long lung busting training sessions and then get in a couple of friendly games.

Yea !!!

absolutely NOT this Laid "

yeah maybe if I was 20 lol. and not out of the game 15 years due to a pretty bad knee problem

By *isdirtygirlWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

Get yourself into the water as much as you can and push yourself as hard as you can Laid. Its the gentlest way to protect your knee while building your muscle on your legs. Its an all over work out.

It really depends what level of fitness you are at now and injuries (whats the craic with the knee?)

Also what level you are aiming for?

For example the top over 35s division in Dublin is far tougher than any of the mid division stuff in regular leagues its riddled with ex LOI And semi pros

By *ean0001Man  over a year ago

Dublin West

Start slow and build it up. Its the only way.

Rome not built in a day and it you rush it you end up injured and its game over.

I would imagine a multi approach training system would help with swim and bikework to build fitness without putting pressure on the knee, would be a good idea.

And get your diet and nutrition sorted, or again you going to run out of steam.

And good luck and enjoy it..

"after coaching a lads soccer team for a number of years they are moving into tje senior leagues and myself and the other coach have decided to come out of retirement and be player managers. so I have a question anyone any tips on how to get match fit quick enough without or limiting the risk of injury iv to take it easy enough on my knee ?"

I see a sweeper role ... Strolling around at the back ala Pirlo ? (?

First of all get a good Physio, ask them to do a programme to strengthen your knee..

To be anyways match fit, the hard yards have to be put in on the pitch, We do the magic square, 25x25 running at a steady pace for 7 minutes to start, during the 7 minutes when the whistle blows sprint a lenght of the square at full pace and slow it down into a jog, next whistle sprint two lengths and build it up until your sprinting round the square adding two minutes every time you do it...

"It really depends what level of fitness you are at now and injuries (whats the craic with the knee?)

For example the top over 35s division in Dublin is far tougher than any of the mid division stuff in regular leagues its riddled with ex LOI And semi pros "

my current level of fitness is so so but I smoke like a chimney. I had to give up playing ages ago due to my knee grinding it sounds horrific but the pain has subsided in the past year iv built up my quads and calf muscles to take some of the strain off the knee.. iv played the odd game ov 35s a few years ago for the club. its a tough league ill not be lining out for them. I know ill not be playing every week but the odd 90 mins when the lads forget to turn up for a match

"Start slow and build it up. Its the only way.

Rome not built in a day and it you rush it you end up injured and its game over.

I would imagine a multi approach training system would help with swim and bikework to build fitness without putting pressure on the knee, would be a good idea.

And get your diet and nutrition sorted, or again you going to run out of steam.

And good luck and enjoy it.."

The water work will help the knee the bike not so much.

soccer is a unique sport re fitness ,each position can be targeted specifically for example yan molby and roy keane. Both midfielders, both brilliant at what they did, one was mister blobby and one was a muscle!!

By *unsterStagMan  over a year ago

Limerick

"First of all get a good Physio, ask them to do a programme to strengthen your knee..

To be anyways match fit, the hard yards have to be put in on the pitch, We do the magic square, 25x25 running at a steady pace for 7 minutes to start, during the 7 minutes when the whistle blows sprint a lenght of the square at full pace and slow it down into a jog, next whistle sprint two lengths and build it up until your sprinting round the square adding two minutes every time you do it... "

Agree with mistress do as much training as u can on the field as I went back playing rugby a couple of years ago and even though I was fit from running and the bike, I still had to build up fitness that was relevant to the position. Also had old knee injuries but found protein bar before training and shake after helped keep the knee pain free and recovered quickly.

"First of all get a good Physio, ask them to do a programme to strengthen your knee..

To be anyways match fit, the hard yards have to be put in on the pitch, We do the magic square, 25x25 running at a steady pace for 7 minutes to start, during the 7 minutes when the whistle blows sprint a lenght of the square at full pace and slow it down into a jog, next whistle sprint two lengths and build it up until your sprinting round the square adding two minutes every time you do it...

Agree with mistress do as much training as u can on the field as I went back playing rugby a couple of years ago and even though I was fit from running and the bike, I still had to build up fitness that was relevant to the position. Also had old knee injuries but found protein bar before training and shake after helped keep the knee pain free and recovered quickly. "

your lucky you could go back playing my shoulder injury and recent back injury prevents me from playing again

By *randub69Man  over a year ago

city

stick to being a manager it won't just be your knee that you will be having trouble with in the future...

I went back playing for a while and was getting knocks almost every time I played and they take longer to heal as well.

Anyway you don't want your body wrecked if ur planning on riding until u die...

By *ingerrrrWoman  over a year ago

Meath

ya gotta give up the smoking and those disgusting E-cig things... in my mind first and foremost..

get swimming and keep workin on the thigh muscles to support the ligaments.

Schmokes are bad and I'd be worried about your hamstring more than your knee. Get your cute arse to the physio xxx

"Schmokes are bad and I'd be worried about your hamstring more than your knee. Get your cute arse to the physio xxx"

I said this at the start minus the cute arse bit here's hoping he listens to you, I know I would for fear of a kick up the arse

"Schmokes are bad and I'd be worried about your hamstring more than your knee. Get your cute arse to the physio xxx

I said this at the start minus the cute arse bit here's hoping he listens to you, I know I would for fear of a kick up the arse "

great minds think alike, obviously Lim

"Schmokes are bad and I'd be worried about your hamstring more than your knee. Get your cute arse to the physio xxx

I said this at the start minus the cute arse bit here's hoping he listens to you, I know I would for fear of a kick up the arse

great minds think alike, obviously Lim "

there's a second part of that saying .... I think it goes and fools seldom differ pmsl

Don't you have to go in goal if you want a fag?

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

I am thinking a lot of water work laid like carrying the tray of water bottles and running in to the lads when the get a knock splash a bit on the injury and tell them run it off

But on a serious note as I said before goalie looks good leave the hard work to the young lads till u have the fitness required to not only last 90 mins on the field but also to prevent further injury

Notice I said 90 mins on the field I can imagine the comments I'd I left it at 90 mins

there's a second part of that saying .... I think it goes and fools seldom differ pmsl"

right no more rubs for you

I'm a huge fan of cycling rather than using the car unless it's necessary. Yes cycling can make your top end speed slower, but it will mean no impact and use of the quad muscles. Push yourself on the way home and use a phone app to keep tabs on your time/distance/speeds. Also if you reckon your quad is weak, work on the old pistol squats!

Other than that, just work hard and make sure to rest up properly: hot and cold showers, ice the knee, foam roller plenty of water etc etc!

there's a second part of that saying .... I think it goes and fools seldom differ pmsl"

Belles no fool

By *osafewordneededMan  over a year ago

City

Just do what you would coach the kids to do.

If I was injured I would just go for runs/walks in the sea with weights on my back. I wouldn't swim id just walk and run. Sea stays shallow very far out would be handy.

If my knee allowed it I would do tabata on a bike as its quicker than running to get your cardio up.

"It really depends what level of fitness you are at now and injuries (whats the craic with the knee?)

For example the top over 35s division in Dublin is far tougher than any of the mid division stuff in regular leagues its riddled with ex LOI And semi pros

my current level of fitness is so so but I smoke like a chimney. I had to give up playing ages ago due to my knee grinding it sounds horrific but the pain has subsided in the past year iv built up my quads and calf muscles to take some of the strain off the knee.. iv played the odd game ov 35s a few years ago for the club. its a tough league ill not be lining out for them. I know ill not be playing every week but the odd 90 mins when the lads forget to turn up for a match "

Fair enough then its a bit of endurance work and then focus on the short stuff, the usual... shuttles and square work, get involved in alot of 3v2 and 4v2 during pre-season

You are tall I assume knowing the approach here you played somewhere down the middle?

Give up smoking for a start !start slow And stretch and stretch again warm up properly ! A lot of injures can be avoided by proper stretching and warm ups . Google dynamic stretching . It wilol help u avoid injuries . Most of all enjoy !

By *llie and ApplesCouple  over a year ago

where ever

Yoga...yoga...yoga...Laid.

Go to a proper class, not just some old doll working from home. Make sure you choose an instructor that concentrates on the breathing exercises as well as the stretches.

Breathing and flexibility are the key.

No reason why you can't play well into your 50's....

And most importantly don't forget to enjoy it old boy...

Ollie

Stay off the AstroTurf!!!!!

..laid..go out and jog then try and simulate movements at your own pace on your own..

..but..gradual build up..only thing..

Stay off the AstroTurf/3g/4g!!!!!

By *rutus83Man  over a year ago

naas

I was told scout pacing is great to help build up fitness quick but not sure if its good for your knees.

If I were you I'd get into the pool and swim loads and loads.as much of it underwater as possible.it'll do wonders for your lungs.avoid the astro turf like the plague-it's very hard on the knees and ankles.running on the sand would be a good way to ease yourself back in also.

"Start with 2 or 3 long lung busting training sessions and then get in a couple of friendly games.

Yea !!!

absolutely NOT this Laid

yeah maybe if I was 20 lol. and not out of the game 15 years due to a pretty bad knee problem"

didn't know you were out that long. Once the physio gives the go ahead a slight increase in training load each week should work and then coming on as sub late in the games.

"I was told scout pacing is great to help build up fitness quick but not sure if its good for your knees. "

Cycling is great, better exercise for knees than jogging or running!!

By *ong riderMan  over a year ago

belfast

Don't even think about going back. The older the players the more aggressive they are in my experience. Too slow and fat to put in a decent tackle so they just lash out if they get in lashing out distance. You'll have some 16stone centre half halve you in half for hafters

Think they may have a hell of a time cutting laid in half. He's not exactly small

I would agree with the swimming and cycling. Much easier for the knees then running. Just don't go killing yourself killing yourself. Kitty wouldn't like to see you with a oxygen tank and a bad hamstring next time we run into eachother

physio booked for sat morning.

as for getting more aggressive as a player ages i was pretty aggressive when i was playing the center halves had there work cut out for them when i played up front.

i'll most likely be playing center mid or up front ( target man) or my least favorite position as keeper when we are stuck.

where ever

"physio booked for sat morning.

as for getting more aggressive as a player ages i was pretty aggressive when i was playing the center halves had there work cut out for them when i played up front.

i'll most likely be playing center mid or up front ( target man) or my least favorite position as keeper when we are stuck. "

Remember Laid as all us defenders know, it's always the keepers fault. ..fecks sake!!

Us older players aren't all dirty....well okay...only if you sleep with us...hehe

By *ong riderMan  over a year ago

belfast

Read Ray Wilkins biography. He moved down the leagues as he got older - said it was lethal

where ever

"Read Ray Wilkins biography. He moved down the leagues as he got older - said it was lethal"

That was what greeviesy said his greatest mistake was...to retire at the top....

I'm just in the pub after playing myself...The best bit...

I do believe I gave you some excellent advice re this thread already today.

"I do believe I gave you some excellent advice re this thread already today.

"

yes your innovative approach might just work

"I do believe I gave you some excellent advice re this thread already today.

yes your innovative approach might just work "

I'm very wise!

Friendlies are the best way to get match fitness up...

» Add a new message to this topic