Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Heard this on the news seems to be some truth in it ...Gutted

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Wtf???

Good lord,dont believe all you here it could be a hype tactic.

Ya he tweeted that he's gonna retire young. I think hes taking the piss tbh. Don't think he's serious

I know he tweeted earlier and its all over the news was on radio about an hour ago

He's gonna break the Internet!!!!!!

"He's gonna break the Internet!!!!!!

"

most likely taking the piss well at least I hope he is

By *rct4Man  over a year ago

Dublin

It's a term in sport ha ha! I'm going to retire young but not yet

If he has, fair play to him...into the sunset with a lorry load of cash....

He should wait until diaz pole axes him again

Well i boxed and kickboxed for year's but gave it up cagefighting has a very short shelflife make your mark and money when you can andget outwhile your still alive. and he has done both

most likely taking the piss well at least I hope he is "

Ya I think hes just having a laugh. He's probably sitting back laughing his arse off watching everyone lose their minds!!!!!

Ya I think hes just having a laugh. He's probably sitting back laughing his arse off watching everyone lose their minds!!!!!"

I reckon the same ..will be good craic to hear him lol

Ya I think hes just having a laugh. He's probably sitting back laughing his arse off watching everyone lose their minds!!!!!

I reckon the same ..will be good craic to hear him lol"

He's a good character in fairness. He's a typical Dub. Always up for the craic. He met the Cork footballers on their hols during the weekend. They had a bit of craic together.

I reckon the same ..will be good craic to hear him lol

He's a good character in fairness. He's a typical Dub. Always up for the craic. He met the Cork footballers on their hols during the weekend. They had a bit of craic together. "

I think hes the bees knees and spiders ankles lol gotta love him

It might be serious...was he not seriously affected by that incident last week...the poor lad getting killed in the ring??

He should fight one more time and win for himself then bow out in style and make himself family and ireland and his fans around the world proud.i think he is ready willing and able to do that.

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

Meh!

I just can't imagine him bailing out after losing his last fight. He will want to go out a winner in the ring. He will probably fight at UFC200 then split, probably take on a young kid and train him to be a champion too.

Well its either that he is grabbing the money and running.

Or that a week after he watched a poor Portuguese fighter get beaten to death he is taking the piss.

In either case it's more proof if it were needed that he is above all else a fuck tart that is far too fond of his own reflection.

Either way ten years from now he will be flipping burgers in supermacs

By *ondicMan  over a year ago

wicklow

Pity the lot of them wouldn't retire. That's not sport. It's just hooliganism. Primates the lot of them. .

"Pity the lot of them wouldn't retire. That's not sport. It's just hooliganism. Primates the lot of them. ."

Boxing deaths must be what, in the hundreds now?

he's not fighting at ufc 200 either he refused to go do press conferences and stayed in Iceland.. to say I'm gutted is an understatement

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Couldnt face doing the press for ufc200 after losing so bad. Like other fighters with all that talk after a loss they are done. Like prince nasseem

I liked mcgregor and liked watching him but he lost me with all the bullshit

He was found out big time anyway. Not only submitted but out boxed too by mid ranker

He's a grade A pussy! A loss and now he's bottling press conference s simply because he doesn't no what to say after a loss. He can't say anything he wants anymore. Beginning of the end

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

maybe seeing that guy die made him think im rich enough why risk it ? get in get paid get the fuck out or maybe its a ploy ? but id say its the former

Hitting guys on the ground tut tut

Well I wishould I could have been as good as him .it takes a lot of sacrifice to reach their level in the sport

"maybe seeing that guy die made him think im rich enough why risk it ? get in get paid get the fuck out or maybe its a ploy ? but id say its the former"

Watching Carvalho's brother's interview last night was so sad...

this thing about it being a barbaric sport is a bit off. lots of people die or are left paralysed from playing sports that have less contact in them

Been confirmed this morn & Dana white made statement . sad to see him go

Conor has retired? If this turns out to be spin then he truly is a sap. If he is I'm glad, for his safety also no more of his hilariously well thought out racist banter, his sharp wit *cough* or his I made it from nothing to be a guy who smacks people in a cage, oh well done ya hero

But in other sports you're not awarded for inflicting physical pain are ya? That's the issue with mma and boxing etc. that's what makes it barbaric there's very little intellectual argument the other way, if there is I'm open to hearing it.

Jilly heard that late last night and my 1st thought was fukkkkk Jilly is gonna be gutted

By *acknnoraCouple  over a year ago

north cork

"Jilly heard that late last night and my 1st thought was fukkkkk Jilly is gonna be gutted "

Pussy she's not the only one lol

IL ask one of his team mates.

"But in other sports you're not awarded for inflicting physical pain are ya? That's the issue with mma and boxing etc. that's what makes it barbaric there's very little intellectual argument the other way, if there is I'm open to hearing it. "

well technically in football gaa and rugby you tend to gain advantage by tackling the other person. eg shouldering the person etc

"IL ask one of his team mates. "
They won't tell me but I can bet its a spin off as to much money is on the table

I think you'll agree that thats a false equivielecy. Shouldering etc is not at all the same as the sole aim being to punch somebodies head off in a cage or a ring.

kildare

There no argument needed. It is highly skilled but is brutal . That's why people who love it love it. It's not for everyone

I've loved it for years and make no apologies for it

kildare

"I think you'll agree that thats a false equivielecy. Shouldering etc is not at all the same as the sole aim being to punch somebodies head off in a cage or a ring. "

It's not the sole aim. Submissions wins are huge part.

"I think you'll agree that thats a false equivielecy. Shouldering etc is not at all the same as the sole aim being to punch somebodies head off in a cage or a ring.

It's not the sole aim. Submissions wins are huge part. "

you are right only if there ground work skills are there strong point.Mc gregor comes from a standing fighting background.

"IL ask one of his team mates. They won't tell me but I can bet its a spin off as to much money is on the table "
sponcers have pulled out so it most be true that him.The death of a fellow mma man would of had a lot to do with it.He is still the best fighter in the world in his weight and from Ireland .

"I think you'll agree that thats a false equivielecy. Shouldering etc is not at all the same as the sole aim being to punch somebodies head off in a cage or a ring.

It's not the sole aim. Submissions wins are huge part. you are right only if there ground work skills are there strong point.Mc gregor comes from a standing fighting background. "

No, he's right in what he said. The sole aim is to win the fight. A lot of fighters accomplish this by submission.

kildare

It's not the sole aim. Submissions wins are huge part. you are right only if there ground work skills are there strong point.Mc gregor comes from a standing fighting background. "

Mcgregor has been grappling for over 10 years

His best buddy Tom Egan started in my club in newbridge before movin to dub and john kavanagh about 13 years ago and he says in interviews they started together although mcgregor did start boxing earlier than that. Point is he's well versed in ground game

Egan was about 16 and already black belt in karate then. First irish man to fight in ufc too

"Jilly heard that late last night and my 1st thought was fukkkkk Jilly is gonna be gutted "

Still not convinced hes retired

It's not the sole aim. Submissions wins are huge part. you are right only if there ground work skills are there strong point.Mc gregor comes from a standing fighting background.

Mcgregor has been grappling for over 10 years

His best buddy Tom Egan started in my club in newbridge before movin to dub and john kavanagh about 13 years ago and he says in interviews they started together although mcgregor did start boxing earlier than that. Point is he's well versed in ground game

Egan was about 16 and already black belt in karate then. First irish man to fight in ufc too

"

Tom "The Tank" Egan

Retired my arse !

Latest tweet from Conor is he has an announcement to make!

Himself and Dena are having a barney about the weight agreement at the last fight 165/170

It's money simples

He just wants to fight..Dana wants him to parade around making the ufc money, doing tours, ads, PAs ..

The young fighters death has affected him ..

He has made his money n if he was a greedy fuck like people are saying he would do as Dana asks but he's not interested.

When he 1st started n lost his fight in submission he said if it happened again he would quit..

Pretty sure it's to do with getting out of his contract. Press conferences are mandatory in the one he signed, said, "look, get lost I'm training in Iceland, another time!" Kicked off UFC200, says, screw yas, "I'm retiring!" only way to get outta his contarct, he's where the money is. He knows it, UFC knows it, this way he'll get whatever contract he wants when he "comes out of retirement" simples.....

Shockingly, he has not retired

Dublin

I was right

"I was right"

Eh you and 99.99% of the rest of the people who actuly gave a shite....

Dublin

"I was right

Eh you and 99.99% of the rest of the people who actuly gave a shite...."

dry your eyes you like him really

Basically it's, I make shit loads of cash so I want you to do it my way. Over to Mr white

"I was right

Eh you and 99.99% of the rest of the people who actuly gave a shite....dry your eyes you like him really"

I really reaaaaalllly couldn't give less of a shite about him

all about the money and publicity

As I said, he just wants to fight, he's not interested in the advertising. Statement made by the man himself earlier on.

Aa predicted he really couldn't stick the notion that some poor guy got kicked to death and took the lime light from him so he dreamed up publicity.

He's a muppet with a beard

Big mouth

No class

north cork

Why do men not like him...?

He's a great athlete and has brought great joy to Ireland

I'm delighted he's not retired and love all his fights and that tight little ass of his

N

"Why do men not like him...?

I'm delighted he's not retired and love all his fights and that tight little ass of his

N "

Just jealous eijits and people who don't understand the science and skill behind their art ot fighting (wait for the replies on THAT! Ha)

I was at the night that Carvalho died after his fight and it was efinitely due to the refs not being quick enough to stop fights, fecking crazy!!!

I don't really follow the sport though, just sometimes follow the odd time what McGergor's up to cause it's great to follow an Irish person be top and putting us on the map, people don't realise what he says in media is all a persona and it's part of trying to mentally beat their opponent before getting in the ring/octagon Ali did it and people thought he was nuts or a twat for doing it but what do they say about him now eh!!!? Ok he doesn't do it as poetically as Ali and sometimes you do think "Ah seriously McGregor, what did you say that for!?" But he's a decent lad in real life/behind closed doors.

People giving out about about him saying he's retiring by twitter is all the plan to put UFC under pressure to have the public in a panic about it and to show his worth. If ANYONE else said in the the MMA world, said it, I'm sure they'd be like "ok, see ya" or it wouldn't even be reported cause right now it's all about McGregor in this sport he could have another loss and people would still wanna see him fight before anyone else. So whether postive/negative or just questioning comments on Twitter it obviosuly worked!

I have to laugh with some people, saying "really couldn't care about him" they why come onto a thread and make the statment or "he's a scumbag" when he does charity or visits kids in hospital or walks for about twenty minites away to a car where a girls boyfriend is cause he couldn't go to meet him due to being in a wheelchair. If that's a scumbag then sign me up!!!

north cork

N

Just jealous eijits and people who don't understand the science and skill behind their art ot fighting (wait for the replies on THAT! Ha)

I was at the night that Carvalho died after his fight and it was efinitely due to the refs not being quick enough to stop fights, fecking crazy!!!

I don't really follow the sport though, just sometimes follow the odd time what McGergor's up to cause it's great to follow an Irish person be top and putting us on the map, people don't realise what he says in media is all a persona and it's part of trying to mentally beat their opponent before getting in the ring/octagon Ali did it and people thought he was nuts or a twat for doing it but what do they say about him now eh!!!? Ok he doesn't do it as poetically as Ali and sometimes you do think "Ah seriously McGregor, what did you say that for!?" But he's a decent lad in real life/behind closed doors.

People giving out about about him saying he's retiring by twitter is all the plan to put UFC under pressure to have the public in a panic about it and to show his worth. If ANYONE else said in the the MMA world, said it, I'm sure they'd be like "ok, see ya" or it wouldn't even be reported cause right now it's all about McGregor in this sport he could have another loss and people would still wanna see him fight before anyone else. So whether postive/negative or just questioning comments on Twitter it obviosuly worked!

I have to laugh with some people, saying "really couldn't care about him" they why come onto a thread and make the statment or "he's a scumbag" when he does charity or visits kids in hospital or walks for about twenty minites away to a car where a girls boyfriend is cause he couldn't go to meet him due to being in a wheelchair. If that's a scumbag then sign me up!!! "

Good man well said Luke

N

I have to laugh with some people, saying "really couldn't care about him" they why come onto a thread and make the statment or "he's a scumbag" when he does charity or visits kids in hospital or walks for about twenty minites away to a car where a girls boyfriend is cause he couldn't go to meet him due to being in a wheelchair. If that's a scumbag then sign me up!!! "

Think I like you lol

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan  over a year ago

newcastle

Don't know much about McGregor or the sport really as I never followed either but I am sure the promotional side is not too unlike boxing which I have followed for years, no fighter likes it but they all have to do it to sell the fight especially in the U.S. where it is nearly all on ppv. I am sure it was in his contract that he had certain obligations to sell the fight so he just should have went, done it and went back to training camp like every other fighter has done for years. If the fight does now get cancelled because of this he hasn't thought much about his fans who have paid good money to get to Vegas.

By *hristian GingerMan  over a year ago

Th'on place over yonder

From Mcgregors facebook:

I am just trying to do my job and fight here.

I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.

I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.

There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.

50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.

Nothing else was going through my mind.

It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.

Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a fuck morning show did not get me this life.

Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a fuck about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.

I'm coming for my revenge here.

I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.

With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.

I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.

I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.

But it was denied.

There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.

So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.

And all with one tweet.

Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.

I must isolate myself now.

I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.

I can not dance for you this time.

It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.

Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.

He came in with no shit to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.

Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.

I'm doing what I need for me now.

It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.

I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.

I am still ready to go for UFC 200.

I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.

If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.

For the record also -

For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -

I AM NOT RETIRED.

Fair play to him..no matter what you think of his antics in the past...if your kid wrote that before a big event that could change his life you'd be proud...sometimes in life focus is the only thing that saves you

When he wins again wonder how many will suddenly be behind him...some Irish people are very fickle about our athletes...boxers singers etc sickens my back side

newcastle

"When he wins again wonder how many will suddenly be behind him...some Irish people are very fickle about our athletes...boxers singers etc sickens my back side "
did you watch Patrick Hyland's fight last week?

"When he wins again wonder how many will suddenly be behind him...some Irish people are very fickle about our athletes...boxers singers etc sickens my back side did you watch Patrick Hyland's fight last week?"

what has that got to do with the above

newcastle

Just wondering were you behind an Irishman fighting for a world title in boxing or are you just a McGregor fan

"Just wondering were you behind an Irishman fighting for a world title in boxing or are you just a McGregor fan"

I dont have to be a fan of every Famous Irish person sports or otherwise, however I will say no matter wat my opinion of them I wud never slag off anyone from Ireland theres enough out there who do

N

I have to laugh with some people, saying "really couldn't care about him" they why come onto a thread and make the statment or "he's a scumbag" when he does charity or visits kids in hospital or walks for about twenty minites away to a car where a girls boyfriend is cause he couldn't go to meet him due to being in a wheelchair. If that's a scumbag then sign me up!!!

Think I like you lol "

Yeayyyy, now I've got MY first fan, soon I will have more than McGregor and THEN the haters will start showing up, haha!

p.s. I like you too (not to be associated with that book/film)

By *rnyladniMan  over a year ago

Limavady

What a tube McGregor is .

Every fighter has to do the promotional work and all the press stuff, Conor thinks hes bigger than the sport itself, doesn't get his own way and throws his toys out of the pram.

He should be glad he was getting the rematch, anyone who actually follows UFC and isn't just a casual McGregor fan will know how rare it is to get a rematch straight away, off a loss

Tis all publicity

kildare

I didn't think a lot of mcgregors lack of respect for the sport or fellow fighters but more fighters need to stand up to the ufc. They aren't the sport just biggest org. And treat their fighters like shit. Low pay and rule with iron fist

Thought he should have said more for fellow fighters bad pay when he was boasting about his own money but still anyone that stands up to The Man is good in my books

Haters gonna hate

"What a tube McGregor is .

Every fighter has to do the promotional work and all the press stuff, Conor thinks hes bigger than the sport itself, doesn't get his own way and throws his toys out of the pram.

He should be glad he was getting the rematch, anyone who actually follows UFC and isn't just a casual McGregor fan will know how rare it is to get a rematch straight away, off a loss"

Pro mo work , more like a world tour..

Diaz is now stating he wont fight ufc 200 unless it with Gregor ..that is purely for money..

Gregor wants to fight and will do pro mo work but bot to the extent white wants him too coz he just wants to fight..

By *rnyladniMan  over a year ago

Limavady

"What a tube McGregor is .

He should be glad he was getting the rematch, anyone who actually follows UFC and isn't just a casual McGregor fan will know how rare it is to get a rematch straight away, off a loss

Pro mo work , more like a world tour..

Diaz is now stating he wont fight ufc 200 unless it with Gregor ..that is purely for money..

Gregor wants to fight and will do pro mo work but bot to the extent white wants him too coz he just wants to fight.."

The UFC offered to fly out all his equipment and training partners from Iceland or wherever but he still refused.

I'm sure every fighter would like to pick and choose what promotional stuff they do, unfortunately it doesn't work that way, it's still a business, and they are still essentially employees.

Conor ridiculed Aldo and Dos Anjos because they didn't show up because of injuries, now he's doing the same thing to Nate without even a legitimate reason, other than being a whiny brat.

I've just read online that he's now gonna fight UFC200.

All about money

"All about money "

.."ain't a damn thing funny

You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey

They pushed that girl in front of the train

Took her to the doctor, sewed her arm on again

Stabbed that man right in his heart

Gave him a transplant for a brand new start

I can't walk through the park cause it's crazy after dark

Keep my hand on my gun cause they got me on the run

I feel like a outlaw, broke my last glass jaw

Hear them say "You want some more?"

Livin' on a see-saw

It's like a jungle sometimes

It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under....

Tis all publicity

» Add a new message to this topic