FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Gmail and Kik

Gmail and Kik

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has anyone had an issue on a android phone with kik obtaining your Gmail address?

I never used an email to set up kik but now it's linked to my personal email address (the one not used for swinging)

I've just gotten a message on kik from a guy I know from years back who had my email address and he said when he synced his contacts my kik just popped up (we chatted long before either of us had kik and never swapped addresses)

I don't like this at all!!! Anyone know how to undo it??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh god , I thought I had to use a recovery email for Kik from the start thought & I just never sync contacts

I never sync anything!! But it's happened.. I don't know how. and I never used an email address.

Click reset kik. Then login and it'll ask if you want to find contacts then say no. Then click the more options thing when it asks if you're sure then un-tick the box which says let friends find me. Something similar happened to me with an old friend but luckily there was nothing that gave away the fact that it was actually me.

[Removed by poster at 22/07/16 13:16:59]

"He's bullshitting you. Kik in no way uses any email to register and is also part of the reason it's so popular. It sells itself on not being linked to any phone number or private email. "

Them how did he find my kik?? We haven't spoken in years and it was long before I had kik. When I looked through my settings in kik there was my bloody email address too

"Click reset kik. Then login and it'll ask if you want to find contacts then say no. Then click the more options thing when it asks if you're sure then un-tick the box which says let friends find me. Something similar happened to me with an old friend but luckily there was nothing that gave away the fact that it was actually me."

Exactly. If you are careful on your log in it shouldn't connect to any email or phone number.

"Click reset kik. Then login and it'll ask if you want to find contacts then say no. Then click the more options thing when it asks if you're sure then un-tick the box which says let friends find me. Something similar happened to me with an old friend but luckily there was nothing that gave away the fact that it was actually me."

Well mine is usually a face pic as I don't do dirty pics really so that's something.. I wouldn't put something up that I wouldn't put on fb

"Click reset kik. Then login and it'll ask if you want to find contacts then say no. Then click the more options thing when it asks if you're sure then un-tick the box which says let friends find me. Something similar happened to me with an old friend but luckily there was nothing that gave away the fact that it was actually me.

Exactly. If you are careful on your log in it shouldn't connect to any email or phone number. "

But I didn't do anything.. I didn't sync my contacts. I've never changed my kik settings. I'm just wondering how it happened

By *aywhatnowMan  over a year ago

North County

"I never sync anything!! But it's happened.. I don't know how. and I never used an email address. "

Hi op, phones can be pre set to auto sync so check your settings, for kik I suggest you create a new one and use the fab email account, Google plus is now synching all android accounts.

If you have any problems give me a shout.

"I never sync anything!! But it's happened.. I don't know how. and I never used an email address.

Hi op, phones can be pre set to auto sync so check your settings, for kik I suggest you create a new one and use the fab email account, Google plus is now synching all android accounts.

If you have any problems give me a shout."

Oooooohhhhhhh ok.. do they own kik maybe?

By *ubzrMan  over a year ago

Dublin

how could kik optain your personal email if you never used it to set up kik?

"Click reset kik. Then login and it'll ask if you want to find contacts then say no. Then click the more options thing when it asks if you're sure then un-tick the box which says let friends find me. Something similar happened to me with an old friend but luckily there was nothing that gave away the fact that it was actually me.

Well mine is usually a face pic as I don't do dirty pics really so that's something.. I wouldn't put something up that I wouldn't put on fb "

I'd say it's somewhere in the privacy terms and I think with more updates they take more info from your phone. Simply having the Gmail app and being signed in means any other app that requests contacts or any form of syncing can connect without you doing it personally. No dirty pics on mine either lol just a blob of white.

North County

"I never sync anything!! But it's happened.. I don't know how. and I never used an email address.

Oooooohhhhhhh ok.. do they own kik maybe? "

it's an Android owned app, and Google plus on an android phone has access to everything on that phone.

It's my line of work so to speak

Well mine is usually a face pic as I don't do dirty pics really so that's something.. I wouldn't put something up that I wouldn't put on fb

I'd say it's somewhere in the privacy terms and I think with more updates they take more info from your phone. Simply having the Gmail app and being signed in means any other app that requests contacts or any form of syncing can connect without you doing it personally. No dirty pics on mine either lol just a blob of white."

Sneaky bastards

it's an Android owned app, and Google plus on an android phone has access to everything on that phone.

It's my line of work so to speak "

Jaysus nothing is sacred anymore

North County

Jaysus nothing is sacred anymore "

Very true, anything online is on a server somewhere, people think snap chats just vanish lol. They don't!

The factory pre set on phones is the thing here, people should go through their settings very meticulously and know what to 'allow' etc, most syncing and access can be stopped but it's just that the pre set on phones is there already allowing it.

Jaysus nothing is sacred anymore "

My sis in law only said to me yesterday , look at what you can get on your phone , all your photos you have ever taken are on a new Google cloud I nearly died after a stiff drink I checked it out and thankfully I've always had my back up or sync switched off !!! I don't like all this new internet malarkey

Very true, anything online is on a server somewhere, people think snap chats just vanish lol. They don't!

The factory pre set on phones is the thing here, people should go through their settings very meticulously and know what to 'allow' etc, most syncing and access can be stopped but it's just that the pre set on phones is there already allowing it."

I don't know how to do any of that

My sis in law only said to me yesterday , look at what you can get on your phone , all your photos you have ever taken are on a new Google cloud I nearly died after a stiff drink I checked it out and thankfully I've always had my back up or sync switched off !!! I don't like all this new internet malarkey "

Think I'll go back to passing notes on fancy paper

My sis in law only said to me yesterday , look at what you can get on your phone , all your photos you have ever taken are on a new Google cloud I nearly died after a stiff drink I checked it out and thankfully I've always had my back up or sync switched off !!! I don't like all this new internet malarkey

Think I'll go back to passing notes on fancy paper "

I like your thinking , what's your address again

North County

My sis in law only said to me yesterday , look at what you can get on your phone , all your photos you have ever taken are on a new Google cloud I nearly died after a stiff drink I checked it out and thankfully I've always had my back up or sync switched off !!! I don't like all this new internet malarkey "

You are right, I know guys who can access snap chats from almost any user on a certain network, serious stuff being sent too. Shocking what is available to people with the ability to access it.

North County

The factory pre set on phones is the thing here, people should go through their settings very meticulously and know what to 'allow' etc, most syncing and access can be stopped but it's just that the pre set on phones is there already allowing it.

I don't know how to do any of that "

Get help, depending on your network and phone model, try the stores or YouTube tutorials.

If you were close by I'd show you lol.

You are right, I know guys who can access snap chats from almost any user on a certain network, serious stuff being sent too. Shocking what is available to people with the ability to access it."

That scares me , that nothing is safe anymore

North County

You are right, I know guys who can access snap chats from almost any user on a certain network, serious stuff being sent too. Shocking what is available to people with the ability to access it.

That scares me , that nothing is safe anymore "

Regarding the internet and phone apps, nothing ever was safe lol

Regarding the internet and phone apps, nothing ever was safe lol "

I know.. but I prefer when I didn't know

North County

I know.. but I prefer when I didn't know "

I don't know how to do any of that "

If you open your contacts and go into settings you can turn off sync for some apps that are synced. If you go into settings and click accounts you can also turn off more apps that are synced. Think you can go into settings for any other app that's not on those lists and turn it off from there and you should be better for most of them

I know.. but I prefer when I didn't know

"

Whete my old blokia

TOGGLE NAVIGATION

logo kik

PRIVACY POLICY

INFORMATION WE COLLECT

HOW WE USE INFORMATION

INFORMATION WE SHARE

SAFETY & SECURITY FEATURES IN KIK APP

CHILDREN

WHEN THIS POLICY APPLIES

ACCESS TO INFORMATION

DATA TRANSFERS

PRIVACY QUESTIONS

INFORMATION WE COLLECT

Information you give us. We collect some content and other information you provide when you use our Services. For example, when you sign up for an account or message or communicate with others, including our support team, you may give us your name, username, email address, phone number, address, birth date, contact preferences, photos and gender. In limited circumstances, we may ask you for government issued ID to validate your identity when you are requesting support or to confirm that you’re eligible to use Kik or as required by law. Users can also report violations of our Terms of Service to our support team and they may include the content of your chat in those reports.

Information we get from your use of our Services. We collect information to provide you with the Services, to improve your experience using the Services and develop new services. To do this, we collect information about how you use Kik and our other online products and services. In some cases this information will be associated with your Kik username. For example:

Device information. We collect device-specific information such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers or advertising IDs, and mobile network information including phone number if applicable.

Log information. When you use our Services, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs including details of how you used our Services, such as the date and time a message was sent, the account you were messaging with, and your internet protocol address, as well as third party websites or services you used (your chats with bots as well as your use of GIFs or emojis).

Friend information. If you use our optional suggested friend features or invite friends and family to chat with you on Kik, we may use the information from your mobile device’s address book from time to time to connect you with friends and to allow other friends who have you in their address book to find you.

Bot chats. If you chat with bots made by Kik (such as Kik Team or Kik Points), we collect the contents of your conversation to improve your experience and our Services or create new ones. If you are chatting with other bots on Kik, those bot developers may share your conversation with Kik to improve our Services or create new ones.

Kik Code location. If you scan a Kik Code, we may collect information on where it was scanned to ensure that we can deliver products or services to you or limit advertising or promotions to certain geographic areas. For example, if you scan a Kik Code at a restaurant, the code may tell us which table you’re sitting at so we can deliver your food to you there. If you scan a Kik Code at a store, it may offer you store or state-specific promotions.

Local storage. We may collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.

Cookies and similar technologies. We or our service providers (such as analytics providers) may collect, store or recognize some information on your computer or mobile phone from technologies such as cookies and web beacons.

Information shared by others. We may use third-party analytics companies (such as Google Analytics and Nielsen). The information collected by these third-parties may be used for purposes disclosed in their privacy policies, and by us to develop and deliver advertising and promotional content on Kik, our website and on Kik optimized websites.

We may also combine the information described above with other information we collect about you.

You can complete payments in Kik through a third party payment processor (currently Stripe, whose privacy policy is located here: https://stripe.com/us/privacy). Your credit card information, if you choose to enter it, is held by this third party and not by Kik.

DOWNLOAD PRIVACY POLICY

PREVIOUS

NEXT

ABOUT

BLOG

PRESS

TERMS

PRIVACY

LAW ENFORCEMENT

CONTACT

© KIK INTERACTIVE INC, 2016. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

KIK AND THE KIK LOGO ARE TRADEMARKS AND/OR REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF KIK INTERACTIVE INC

"Has anyone had an issue on a android phone with kik obtaining your Gmail address?

I never used an email to set up kik but now it's linked to my personal email address (the one not used for swinging)

I've just gotten a message on kik from a guy I know from years back who had my email address and he said when he synced his contacts my kik just popped up (we chatted long before either of us had kik and never swapped addresses)

I don't like this at all!!! Anyone know how to undo it?? "

Setup a ghost email address and update your kik settings using that.

"TOGGLE NAVIGATION

logo kik

PRIVACY POLICY

INFORMATION WE COLLECT

HOW WE USE INFORMATION

INFORMATION WE SHARE

SAFETY & SECURITY FEATURES IN KIK APP

CHILDREN

WHEN THIS POLICY APPLIES

ACCESS TO INFORMATION

DATA TRANSFERS

PRIVACY QUESTIONS

INFORMATION WE COLLECT

Information you give us. We collect some content and other information you provide when you use our Services. For example, when you sign up for an account or message or communicate with others, including our support team, you may give us your name, username, email address, phone number, address, birth date, contact preferences, photos and gender. In limited circumstances, we may ask you for government issued ID to validate your identity when you are requesting support or to confirm that you’re eligible to use Kik or as required by law. Users can also report violations of our Terms of Service to our support team and they may include the content of your chat in those reports.

Information we get from your use of our Services. We collect information to provide you with the Services, to improve your experience using the Services and develop new services. To do this, we collect information about how you use Kik and our other online products and services. In some cases this information will be associated with your Kik username. For example:

Device information. We collect device-specific information such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers or advertising IDs, and mobile network information including phone number if applicable.

Log information. When you use our Services, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs including details of how you used our Services, such as the date and time a message was sent, the account you were messaging with, and your internet protocol address, as well as third party websites or services you used (your chats with bots as well as your use of GIFs or emojis).

Friend information. If you use our optional suggested friend features or invite friends and family to chat with you on Kik, we may use the information from your mobile device’s address book from time to time to connect you with friends and to allow other friends who have you in their address book to find you.

Bot chats. If you chat with bots made by Kik (such as Kik Team or Kik Points), we collect the contents of your conversation to improve your experience and our Services or create new ones. If you are chatting with other bots on Kik, those bot developers may share your conversation with Kik to improve our Services or create new ones.

Kik Code location. If you scan a Kik Code, we may collect information on where it was scanned to ensure that we can deliver products or services to you or limit advertising or promotions to certain geographic areas. For example, if you scan a Kik Code at a restaurant, the code may tell us which table you’re sitting at so we can deliver your food to you there. If you scan a Kik Code at a store, it may offer you store or state-specific promotions.

Local storage. We may collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.

Cookies and similar technologies. We or our service providers (such as analytics providers) may collect, store or recognize some information on your computer or mobile phone from technologies such as cookies and web beacons.

Information shared by others. We may use third-party analytics companies (such as Google Analytics and Nielsen). The information collected by these third-parties may be used for purposes disclosed in their privacy policies, and by us to develop and deliver advertising and promotional content on Kik, our website and on Kik optimized websites.

We may also combine the information described above with other information we collect about you.

You can complete payments in Kik through a third party payment processor (currently Stripe, whose privacy policy is located here: https://stripe.com/us/privacy). Your credit card information, if you choose to enter it, is held by this third party and not by Kik.

DOWNLOAD PRIVACY POLICY

PREVIOUS

NEXT

ABOUT

BLOG

PRESS

TERMS

PRIVACY

LAW ENFORCEMENT

CONTACT

© KIK INTERACTIVE INC, 2016. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

KIK AND THE KIK LOGO ARE TRADEMARKS AND/OR REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF KIK INTERACTIVE INC"

Jeez that's a mouthful

CAN PEOPLE SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER?

People you've talked to on Kik can only see your display name, username and profile picture. They can't see your email address, phone number, or birthday

Unlike other messaging apps, Kik uses your username rather than personal information to connect you with other users. This means you can keep your email address and phone number completely private.

"Has anyone had an issue on a android phone with kik obtaining your Gmail address?

Setup a ghost email address and update your kik settings using that. "

All I ever used was a username and password. But apparently Google is a stalker and needs to know what I'm up to. I'll figure it out later

My nerves were gone haha!!!

"CAN PEOPLE SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER?

People you've talked to on Kik can only see your display name, username and profile picture. They can't see your email address, phone number, or birthday

Unlike other messaging apps, Kik uses your username rather than personal information to connect you with other users. This means you can keep your email address and phone number completely private."

He's had my email address from years ago. We hadn't spoken in 3 years. And it still popped up on his kik. He's not lying to me he's no reason to . But sure I'll sort it later and try figure it out. Otherwise new kik address

Set up kik using an address that doesnt exist.....works fine.

You can also click the search thing on kik then click use phone contacts then click settings option and un-tick the let friends find me option. Anyone with your number or any email address you're signed into on Gmail app or Hotmail app or anything like that can find you if they decide to find Friends

Are you 100% you didn't signup to Kik with the email account in question? I'd check that first (the settings cog in Kik, then Your Account).

It could be as simple as you mistakenly signed up using that email account - as far as I'm aware you do need an email account to register with Kik so you must have put something in at the time.

If he has your email address or phone no. stored in his contacts, then synced his contacts on Kik, that will likely have grabbed your Kik address.

Kik isn't owned by Google as suggested btw. I doubt there's a data conspiracy going on

By *ubFunHuntersCouple  over a year ago

dublin

Check your app settings in kik not the kik settings in the app. You may have contact sync on and then if you have contact sync on in your gmail then it will have that access.

Very often gmail sync is responseable for a lot of stuff

https://kikinteractive.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/217680888-How-can-I-keep-my-Kik-account-private-

I had the same with my profile verification picture being synced up to google after i took it with my phone.. Scary

dublin

The in app settings nomally are what people look at but they are normally just UX/UI settings and minor stuff. It's the main app settings that nomally sit in your settings folder outside the app that manage all the sharing and data handshakes and people forget all about those

Unlike other messaging apps, Kik uses your username rather than personal information to connect you with other users. This means you can keep your email address and phone number completely private."

I can see peoples phone numbers...

I don't know own why they just can't make it easier to do this stuff. Like a simple question saying do you want your email or phone number associated with this account instead if just automatically doing it. Instead of automatically opting in there should be an option to opt in or out.

And if anyone say there is in their mumbo jumbo rules I'll believe ya

I hate technology

dublin

"I don't know own why they just can't make it easier to do this stuff. Like a simple question saying do you want your email or phone number associated with this account instead if just automatically doing it. Instead of automatically opting in there should be an option to opt in or out.

I hate technology "

Simply because data is money and they can, if you have any issues unconnecting and syncing let us know we can help

"I don't know own why they just can't make it easier to do this stuff. Like a simple question saying do you want your email or phone number associated with this account instead if just automatically doing it. Instead of automatically opting in there should be an option to opt in or out.

I hate technology "

So do I lol!!!

By *ub_leitrim_guyMan  over a year ago

Out in the sticks

Unlike other messaging apps, Kik uses your username rather than personal information to connect you with other users. This means you can keep your email address and phone number completely private.

I can see peoples phone numbers... "

Have you not learned how to switch on their cameras yet??

By *elfastDMan  over a year ago

belfast

Well mine is usually a face pic as I don't do dirty pics really so that's something.. I wouldn't put something up that I wouldn't put on fb "

What did you say your kik name was?

Kik can link you phone contacts from your phone as well. The first time I used it it popped up a contact

By *iss SadisticWoman  over a year ago

Nowhere

I had to use an email address to set up my kik a few years ago. I used my non personal one for it. I never let it search my contact list for kik contacts. You can change the email address attached to it to a dummy one if you prefer.

So I have been using this Samsung phone for about a year and a half. My old iPhone as far as I was aware had all the backup options switched off but this post made me curious. Powered it up last night and then checked my Gmail photos. I normally use Dropbox so I never check back up to Gdrive or photo, low and behold a huge amount of photo that I'm pretty sure I never chose to back up were there in my personal Gmail fml everything. I'm very very careful but I still missed this. Google is one intrusive son of a bitch. Lesson learned for me

Oh wow guys go to settings then apps, go to Kik and then scroll to the permissions section some worrying things there. Anyone know how to remove certain permissions from apps?

By *alwayBlackcockMan  over a year ago

Galway

I don't like this at all!!! Anyone know how to undo it?? "

It usually ask if you want to sync contacts if you say no it should let you off so this a bit strange!

It usually ask if you want to sync contacts if you say no it should let you off so this a bit strange!"

Its never asked anything gets but obviously it's hidden in the terms and conditions bit..

I got a group going if you want to join inbox me please

Mr69: Snow, I can't PM you but may have a simple solution.

» Add a new message to this topic