FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Medication

Medication

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After a recent traumatic event which involved being in close proximity to a terrorist bombing a few weeks ago my gp has put me on a low dose of anti depressants to help with ptsd. They seem to be helping, however, its completely numbed my sex drive/ability to cum, which prior to taking them was fine. Has anyone any suggestions of anything that can help please? And I know the PTSD can affect my desire too but it hadn't that much prior to the medication.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

A good friend of mine was on an anti depressant a while ago, like you good self her sexual desires was completely gone. Maybe talk to your doctor....alot of sidr effects on medication do reduce ones sexual activities.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Discuss changing to a different medication with your doctor, not all have the same effect.

Sorry to here this hope you where not hurt. I had to go no then for a few years and lost my sex drive, and went to doctor and she drop my dose now iam off them and everything good just bare with it and see your doctor hope thing get better, ??

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks ladies, I presumed they all diminish the desire, I'll definitely ask about trying a different one thanks

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

Nothing worse than d side affects of tabs they do more harm than good . People that don't take tabs don't know how lucky they are .

It's a very common side effect of most if not all antidepressants. Have you considered counselling as a way of dealing with the trauma as the meds will only deal with the immediate mental stresses and do very little to get to the root of the actual problem. Your GP should have offered a referral to a counsellor and if not I think it could really help you. Good luck OP

So sorry to read about hour trauma and I have zero advice to offer bar speak to your gp and I hope you can work something out xx

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

"It's a very common side effect of most if not all antidepressants. Have you considered counselling as a way of dealing with the trauma as the meds will only deal with the immediate mental stresses and do very little to get to the root of the actual problem. Your GP should have offered a referral to a counsellor and if not I think it could really help you. Good luck OP"

OP don't be afraid to challenge your GP on this. Antidepressants are a very valuable tool, but one that is regularly abused by GP's in the treatment of mental health issues. The criteria for prescribing them require you have experienced 4-6 of the following symptoms for an extended period of time.

Depressed mood most of the day

Markedly diminished interest or pleasure

Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain

Insomnia or hypersomnia

Psychomotor agitation or slowing

Fatigue or loss of energy

Feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt

Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness

Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide (or a suicide attempt)

If you are suffering from PTSD, tablets will not fix the problem. It is pretty much universally recommended that even with the tablets you should be referred to a therapist. Also if it's anxiety that's prompting the prescription, which is a normal side effect of such a traumatic situation. You could discuss using beta blockers with your GP. Don't wait around and suffer the side effects, go back to your GP and discuss the alternatives as soon as possible. What you have suffered in the first place was bad enough, don't compound it with bad treatment. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Very common. I'd suggest getting your mind around coming off tabs as soon as you feel possible

Counselling would be more effective for PTS I'd suggest as opposed to someone suffering clinical depression for example. Yours is a natural reaction to a horrible event. Meds to deal with the immediate shock,talking and dealing with it in your own head for mid and long term recovery

I know what I'm talking about on this subject

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"It's a very common side effect of most if not all antidepressants. Have you considered counselling as a way of dealing with the trauma as the meds will only deal with the immediate mental stresses and do very little to get to the root of the actual problem. Your GP should have offered a referral to a counsellor and if not I think it could really help you. Good luck OP"

This! Always better to find a solution without drugs, as loads of drugs just fight the symptoms and not the cause

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

The benefits of talking to a good therapist can not be emphases enough when dealing with PTSD, having deal with the aftermath of close proximity of a destructive explosion twenty years ago the drugs don't work, thankfully I had a progressive caring GP who after a short time prescribing drugs moved me to a course of therapy. Which helps me deal with the demons I perceived were real removed the drugs and replaced them with dealing mechanisms that I still used to day to help me trough the tough times. It's a life changing experience and rather than getting into the deep spaces we can sometimes find I learnt to use it as a route to success in my chosen life path from the negative there can be positive u just need to search and find it

I hope op u find it

Hi there, I work in this area (mental health). If it is PTSD you are experiencing then I would suggest you seek out an EMDR therapist accredited by IACP or IAHIP. EMDR is an excellent therapy at resolving PTSD and maybe then as your body (holistic) learns to self regulate you could ween off your medication. I wish you well on your journey of recovery.

I'm sorry about your situation. I spent time on them. They do dull your sex drive but it's only temporary your on them. It's more important to deal with what's happened. Process that before you worry about your libido

I would strongly suggest talking to a professional and ditching the anti depressants.

If you look at the situation logically, you're having a normal reaction to a traumatic event. GPs are too quick to hand out happy pills.

Talk to someone. I hope you feel better soon x

» Add a new message to this topic