FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Carrauntoohil

Carrauntoohil

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi folks. Has anyone been up to the top? I'm want to take a trip down to hike to the top. From reading bits online about it. It seems to be quite a strenuous trek. How have you found the hike?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

[Removed by poster at 30/08/16 22:19:07]

By *ommickMan  over a year ago

ayr

ITs grand up o Shea's gully and down the zig zag in my opinion gives you the best experience and the best veiws You could go the hydro route and take in 2nd highest peak in Ireland being caira As it doesn't take much longer

"ITs grand up o Shea's gully and down the zig zag in my opinion gives you the best experience and the best veiws You could go the hydro route and take in 2nd highest peak in Ireland being caira As it doesn't take much longer"

Is it as tough as made out?

By *reespiritsxxxxxxCouple  over a year ago

mayo mayo

I found it tough enough! A lot of scrambling but well worth it

"I found it tough enough! A lot of scrambling but well worth it"

I read that. I've osteoarthritis in my knee but i'm going to do it as i love hiking. Although the highest i've been is Slieve Donard in the Mourne Mts. It's 850m and it is a tough but rewarding hike for me. I want to hike my way around Ireland and Donard is the 19th highest peak. So if i do Carrauntoohil, i've 17 do nail in between. Although i might be able to tick a few off the list at Macgillycuddy's Reeks, but i'd be happy just nailing Carrauntoohil to be honest!

ayr

Its not too bad but set off early take breaks there are easier routes To take that might suit you better

But defo well worth it

"Its not too bad but set off early take breaks there are easier routes To take that might suit you better

But defo well worth it "

Thanks for the advice ????

ayr

Don't go alone bring a compass you can get a disorientating fog up there in a matter of minutes

"Don't go alone bring a compass you can get a disorientating fog up there in a matter of minutes"

I'm always prepared for the worst. Thanks for the advice. It's very much appreciated.

By *nsatiabledaveMan  over a year ago

Cork

I have been up there a good few times. Check the weather, bring food and water, bring warm clothes and a climbing partner. Make sure you mobile is fully charged... Just in case. You will need boots.... Just to protect the ankles. Enjoy it. You can PM me if you need more info

"I have been up there a good few times. Check the weather, bring food and water, bring warm clothes and a climbing partner. Make sure you mobile is fully charged... Just in case. You will need boots.... Just to protect the ankles. Enjoy it. You can PM me if you need more info"

Dave thank you. I'll definitely not be going alone. Hoping that a couple of friends will join me. If not then, i'll join a guided group. I'm not one to wing it. Especially something like this. Thanks for the advice and will def message if i need any advice.

» Add a new message to this topic