FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Career or friends

Career or friends

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok, I'm missing out on another night out with friends due to my job and trying to get up the ladder.

I know balance is good, but sometimes push meets shove and you have to choose.

Which would you decide?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Career

By *cjoyCouple  over a year ago

Galway

Decide ..... do you live to work, or work to live?

Life is all about balance. It's a tricky one to get right and only you can decide what's best for you.

Best of luck.

Career. Friends, if they are true friends, will understand that work is important for some people.

Friends, enjoy life!

Work will always be there..

By *onygirl19Woman  over a year ago

co dublin

At the moment , unfortunately, it's all about work ! Don't have anyone putting a roof over my head , or paying my bills . So like most grown ups , gotta do it all on my own .

If you miss out on too much with friends and family you could start resenting the career and the very ladder you're trying to climb. Don't miss out on too much...life is a balance that you need to manage.

"Decide ..... do you live to work, or work to live?

Life is all about balance. It's a tricky one to get right and only you can decide what's best for you.

Best of luck. "

"If you miss out on too much with friends and family you could start resenting the career and the very ladder you're trying to climb. Don't miss out on too much...life is a balance that you need to manage. "

"Friends, enjoy life!

Work will always be there.."

By *rossflow daveMan  over a year ago

Mullingar

"At the moment , unfortunately, it's all about work ! Don't have anyone putting a roof over my head , or paying my bills . So like most grown ups , gotta do it all on my own . "

I have to say I agree with that, nights out and good times are great to have but the reality is that the bills need to be paid !

Good god , when did I get so sensible?

When I die people won't stand over my grave and talk about how well I worked. They will talk about me, my friendship and what it meant to them.

Don't waste your life

Your friends won't pay your bills. While it's great to have friends adult life has to come first and paying your mortgage and keeping things in order has to be your priority. If they truly are friends they'll understand that and still be there for you.

By *ir1967Man  over a year ago

in da sticks, london, amsterdam, madrid

When I was your age I probably would have chosen for the business diner . Took me another few years till I got tired of all this corporate career shit and seized to work for someone else shareholder value, but st least I manage to hop off and get out of the hamster wheel race. In your pursuit to climb the corporate ladder let me give you one good advice. Success in the corporate mill makes very lonely and the air up there is very thin. And then consider whether it's really worth it as there will be no one left to share your joy when being successful as those either turned away due to loss of common ground, are alien to you as they maybe are not as successful and at last good relationships and friends need quality time, from the very same 24h/day budget - invest it carefully

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan  over a year ago

newcastle

"When I was your age I probably would have chosen for the business diner . Took me another few years till I got tired of all this corporate career shit and seized to work for someone else shareholder value, but st least I manage to hop off and get out of the hamster wheel race. In your pursuit to climb the corporate ladder let me give you one good advice. Success in the corporate mill makes very lonely and the air up there is very thin. And then consider whether it's really worth it as there will be no one left to share your joy when being successful as those either turned away due to loss of common ground, are alien to you as they maybe are not as successful and at last good relationships and friends need quality time, from the very same 24h/day budget - invest it carefully "
I am going to say friends as I have no idea what any of that means

"When I was your age I probably would have chosen for the business diner . Took me another few years till I got tired of all this corporate career shit and seized to work for someone else shareholder value, but st least I manage to hop off and get out of the hamster wheel race. In your pursuit to climb the corporate ladder let me give you one good advice. Success in the corporate mill makes very lonely and the air up there is very thin. And then consider whether it's really worth it as there will be no one left to share your joy when being successful as those either turned away due to loss of common ground, are alien to you as they maybe are not as successful and at last good relationships and friends need quality time, from the very same 24h/day budget - invest it carefully "
so dumb down your ambitions to keep your 'friends'?

By *kmanMan  over a year ago

Letterkenny

"When I die people won't stand over my grave and talk about how well I worked. They will talk about me, my friendship and what it meant to them.

Don't waste your life"

Twice in one day I agree completely with someone. Werid day indeed

By *ir1967Man  over a year ago

in da sticks, london, amsterdam, madrid

"When I was your age I probably would have chosen for the business diner . Took me another few years till I got tired of all this corporate career shit and seized to work for someone else shareholder value, but st least I manage to hop off and get out of the hamster wheel race. In your pursuit to climb the corporate ladder let me give you one good advice. Success in the corporate mill makes very lonely and the air up there is very thin. And then consider whether it's really worth it as there will be no one left to share your joy when being successful as those either turned away due to loss of common ground, are alien to you as they maybe are not as successful and at last good relationships and friends need quality time, from the very same 24h/day budget - invest it carefully so dumb down your ambitions to keep your 'friends'?"

That is not what I am saying. As many before mentioned, you need to balance out. Usually only 10% of all evening business events are worth the effort. The art is to puck the right events

Good luck

"When I was your age I probably would have chosen for the business diner . Took me another few years till I got tired of all this corporate career shit and seized to work for someone else shareholder value, but st least I manage to hop off and get out of the hamster wheel race. In your pursuit to climb the corporate ladder let me give you one good advice. Success in the corporate mill makes very lonely and the air up there is very thin. And then consider whether it's really worth it as there will be no one left to share your joy when being successful as those either turned away due to loss of common ground, are alien to you as they maybe are not as successful and at last good relationships and friends need quality time, from the very same 24h/day budget - invest it carefully so dumb down your ambitions to keep your 'friends'?

That is not what I am saying. As many before mentioned, you need to balance out. Usually only 10% of all evening business events are worth the effort. The art is to puck the right events

Good luck"

That's the beauty of hindsight speaking. Anybody who wants to be a success in life must put in the time-it doesn't fall in your lap & while I do agree a lot of that time put in came actually be worth very little but you've still gotta do it.

Did you like or love your job? Was it about the money or did you actually care about what you did?

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

Depends. Are you out with these mates every friday and saturday and just missing out on some of the mid week ones?

Is your company actually going to pull you up the ladder for these long hours your putting in? How have the other people at the level above you got their job? Promotions for the best workers at your level, external hires or office politics?

Ultimately if you ask the right questions you'll get a better idea of things.

But if you want my opinion: what memories do you look back on most fondly over the last few years? Time with friends or time in the office?

Is that next promotion going to give you financial security or a couple extra inches on your tv screen or an extra holiday next year. And would you trade any of your friendships for that?

If you disappeared tomorrow who'd miss you more, your friends or your managing director?

Love my job and would be lost without work.....I love the reason to get up and achieve things .... but I would be just as happy in a commune with all my fab friends so long as I could organise the garden or something!!!

Sam

"Love my job and would be lost without work.....I love the reason to get up and achieve things .... but I would be just as happy in a commune with all my fab friends so long as I could organise the garden or something!!!

Sam"

Applies for a place in the commune

Ahhh lass always a place for you ...long hot sexy days orgies and free love ...... my dream xx

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"When I die people won't stand over my grave and talk about how well I worked. They will talk about me, my friendship and what it meant to them.

Don't waste your life"

» Add a new message to this topic