FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Gay male lisp

Gay male lisp

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How did this come about? What causes it? And how come it's such an accurate indicator of a man sexuality? You know the stereotypical gay accent/voice/way of speaking. Although I know one straight guy with a similar style of speech and I know a fuck load of gays that don't have it but alot do.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *omtom7Man  over a year ago

Tralee

This might get messy

"This might get messy "

It won't. Its a thing. Everyone knows this. It's even being studied. I'd like to know peoples theories haha.

By *ofistimacatedMan  over a year ago

cavan town

Wow, you realise what you just posted, right? If you are quick you might still be able to delete it. If not......... strap yourself in, i think tomtom is on to something.

I've got the kettle on

By *igBlondeDommeWoman  over a year ago

middle of nowhere

"Wow, you realise what you just posted, right? If you are quick you might still be able to delete it. If not......... strap yourself in, i think tomtom is on to something.

I've got the kettle on "

Milk no sugar....please.

cavan town

"This might get messy

It won't. Its a thing. Everyone knows this. It's even being studied. I'd like to know peoples theories haha. "

Oh, it won't? Ok, if you say so. I guess I read it wrong. (sarcasm emoji)

Haha lads yer wrong, why would there be drama here? It's not a lisp but people say it. It's gay male speech and there is studies into it.

cavan town

"Wow, you realise what you just posted, right? If you are quick you might still be able to delete it. If not......... strap yourself in, i think tomtom is on to something.

I've got the kettle on

Milk no sugar....please. "

No prob,Im on it. I've got shortcake biscuits or choc digestives

"This might get messy

It won't. Its a thing. Everyone knows this. It's even being studied. I'd like to know peoples theories haha.

Oh, it won't? Ok, if you say so. I guess I read it wrong. (sarcasm emoji) "

I'll await a furious backlash. You think gay men are going to be offended by that? Please gay men would recognise its a thing amongst a decent population of gay men. Its not a bad thing. I'd even love a gay man's thoughts on it.

cavan town

"Haha lads yer wrong, why would there be drama here? It's not a lisp but people say it. It's gay male speech and there is studies into it. "

No your right ( sarcasm emoji)

middle of nowhere

I've got the kettle on

Milk no sugar....please.

No prob,Im on it. I've got shortcake biscuits or choc digestives"

Shortcake to match my short arse

middle of nowhere

"Haha lads yer wrong, why would there be drama here? It's not a lisp but people say it. It's gay male speech and there is studies into it.

No your right ( sarcasm emoji)"

Studies....from where?

Ok when you all realise that the gay community will not be offended my me saying that there is a gay twang amongst some of the gay community (which everyone is aware of) we can have theories on this. There was no blanket cover saying all gay men sound the same and a guy I know pretty well (straight guy) sounds similar to the twang that would be common enough in the gay community. I think it's interesting. I'd like to know how it developed even.

"Haha lads yer wrong, why would there be drama here? It's not a lisp but people say it. It's gay male speech and there is studies into it.

No your right ( sarcasm emoji)

Studies....from where?"

Type "gay male speech" into Google

I've got the kettle on "

Is the kettled boiled yet? May I have a cup? No sugar and leave the tea bag in please

middle of nowhere

"Ok when you all realise that the gay community will not be offended my me saying that there is a gay twang amongst some of the gay community (which everyone is aware of) we can have theories on this. There was no blanket cover saying all gay men sound the same and a guy I know pretty well (straight guy) sounds similar to the twang that would be common enough in the gay community. I think it's interesting. I'd like to know how it developed even."

So it's just gay MEN. What do gay women have....

middle of nowhere

I've got the kettle on

Is the kettled boiled yet? May I have a cup? No sugar and leave the tea bag in please "

Ewwweee that's so gay

By *lippery-when-wet-180Woman  over a year ago

South Dublin

"Ok when you all realise that the gay community will not be offended my me saying that there is a gay twang amongst some of the gay community (which everyone is aware of) we can have theories on this. There was no blanket cover saying all gay men sound the same and a guy I know pretty well (straight guy) sounds similar to the twang that would be common enough in the gay community. I think it's interesting. I'd like to know how it developed even.

So it's just gay MEN. What do gay women have.... "

Gruff voices

By *lippery-when-wet-180Woman  over a year ago

South Dublin

I've got the kettle on

Is the kettled boiled yet? May I have a cup? No sugar and leave the tea bag in please

Ewwweee that's so gay "

Loves teabagging

middle of nowhere

"Ok when you all realise that the gay community will not be offended my me saying that there is a gay twang amongst some of the gay community (which everyone is aware of) we can have theories on this. There was no blanket cover saying all gay men sound the same and a guy I know pretty well (straight guy) sounds similar to the twang that would be common enough in the gay community. I think it's interesting. I'd like to know how it developed even.

So it's just gay MEN. What do gay women have....

Gruff voices "

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

cavan town

I'm sorry but "such an accurate indicator of a man sexuality"? That's so ignorant it's laughable. Just thinking off the top of my head of all the people I know that have a lisp, none are gay. The gay people I know, actually none have a lisp. Better tell them they need to review their sexuality. Gonna be a lot of angry partners/wives/boyfriends/kids

but it is scientifically proven so they should have known I guess.

"I'm sorry but "such an accurate indicator of a man sexuality"? That's so ignorant it's laughable. Just thinking off the top of my head of all the people I know that have a lisp, none are gay. The gay people I know, actually none have a lisp. Better tell them they need to review their sexuality. Gonna be a lot of angry partners/wives/boyfriends/kids

but it is scientifically proven so they should have known I guess. "

OK you're trying your best to look good and be outraged but you're failing. I clearly said it's not a lisp but people say it well back in the thread. Yes the thread is titled that but it's not a lisp. People wrongly call it a lisp. I decided to title my thread that way though. Type gay male speech into Google and read through it and you'll see researchers have said its not a lisp but obviously there's a significant amount of people that it that. I person say gay accent or twang. I know straight men that would sound similar however but to say gay accent is hardly offensive. It's a known thing. Calm down.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Are you talking about the over the top flamboyant gays . There lot gay lads who don't speak that way and you never think they were gay till ye found out lol

"Are you talking about the over the top flamboyant gays . There lot gay lads who don't speak that way and you never think they were gay till ye found out lol "

My only gay friend and in a real friend came out to me after school and he didn't have the twang. Was a big surprise he was gay but not because he spoke obviously but because the whole group constantly spoke about girls and the female teachers etc... Obviously the way you speak doesn't determine your sexuality but alot of gays do have a similar accent. Not most... Alot.

Ok. I'll take a stab at this at the risk of being massacred.

There is a whole spectrum of how the sexuality part of the brain may develop: straight, gay, bi, trans etc. etc. Furthermore there is a whole bell-curve of variation to how 'masculine' or 'feminine' a person may act. Some straight men can act feminine, some straight women can act masculine.

But the entire brain is connected by an extremely complex network of neurons, each neuron connected and affecting every other neuron.

If a male person's brain is behaving in a 'female manner' (being attracted to men) other areas may also act similarly. Such as the way the brain controls their physical movements like walking and talking.

Women are physically different than men. They have wider hips so instictually they must walk different walk to stay perfectly balanced. They don't have as large throats or an Adams Apple, so their voice box acts differently and vibrates the vocal chords more softly.

It is possible that if your brain instinctly takes on 'feminine traits' i.e. be attracted to men, it may also take on other instinctual traits, i.e. walking or talking more feminine.

That is what i read anyway.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

A scientist was trying to figure out if he could detect homosexuals. It was part of an experiment to prove homosexuals were born that way.

He got to 80% accuracy detecting homosexuals, then went away and worked on it. He gave updates saying the method had been significantly improved and work was underway on an even bigger improvement.

He then made a statement saying that he was giving up science and that the updated method will never be published.

A gay man himself he realized what would happen. That like the DS test, babies would be aborted for being gay, that people could be singled out and proven gay, that they could be discriminated against and wiped out.

So yes, the lisp may be an indicator of homosexuality, who knows.

By *iktikiCouple  over a year ago

city centre

"Haha lads yer wrong, why would there be drama here? It's not a lisp but people say it. It's gay male speech and there is studies into it. "

Please enlighten us as to where we can study these studies.

And does reading them turn your brain to mush so you start reading totally bonkers stuff on de forum

I am a gay man who doesn’t have gay male speech. In fact I have a problem with scientists and others calling it gay male speech. It’s just pretentiousness from some gay men and ways of fitting in and coping for others. Some of us struggle coz we don’t sound like that and don’t want to but then don’t fit in anywhere.

As for genetically identifying homosexuality, if that was a thing and people aborted on it, I may have never been born. That scares the hell outta me.

Yes majority u could detect from the way they talk (I could b wrong).

Sometimes even talking to someone on the phone u could sense it

"Yes majority u could detect from the way they talk (I could b wrong).

Sometimes even talking to someone on the phone u could sense it "

Jaysus way to stereotype everyone. There is s subset like that but there is a huge number of us that speak normal with bogger accents.

middle of nowhere

Jaysus way to stereotype everyone. There is s subset like that but there is a huge number of us that speak normal with bogger accents. "

Get a lisp quick Cj, bogger accents are soooooo yesterday.

Jaysus way to stereotype everyone. There is s subset like that but there is a huge number of us that speak normal with bogger accents.

Get a lisp quick Cj, bogger accents are soooooo yesterday."

Ha ha ha I will stick to the bogger accent thanks. Won’t chsnge myself just to suit fickle people. Plus a bogger accent can be sexy. Remember that ad, “Kate it’s me the guy from the bar”

middle of nowhere

So...... I have sons. One is gay another has a lisp... you see what I'm getting at here. Most lisps are caused by an error in the way the tongue is placed in the mouth. I've never heard such bolloxzzzzz.

middle of nowhere

Get a lisp quick Cj, bogger accents are soooooo yesterday.

Ha ha ha I will stick to the bogger accent thanks. Won’t chsnge myself just to suit fickle people. Plus a bogger accent can be sexy. Remember that ad, “Kate it’s me the guy from the bar” "

That's hilarious.

Depends on what side of the big you're from. Yes some accents are sexy.

Jaysus way to stereotype everyone. There is s subset like that but there is a huge number of us that speak normal with bogger accents. "

So you think it's completely put on?

middle of nowhere

So you think it's completely put on? "

Is what put on?

By *igertigerCouple (MM)  over a year ago

nr you

"How did this come about? What causes it? And how come it's such an accurate indicator of a man sexuality? You know the stereotypical gay accent/voice/way of speaking. Although I know one straight guy with a similar style of speech and I know a fuck load of gays that don't have it but alot do. "

very interesting question

"This might get messy "

Is what put on?"

I quoted the wrong piece from cjfan. He said he thinks gay men put on the twang to fit in over cope. I would argue that's not the case.

Is what put on?

I quoted the wrong piece from cjfan. He said he thinks gay men put on the twang to fit in over cope. I would argue that's not the case. "

You have given you’re reasons why you don’t think that is the case. Until you do I can’t argue further

Is what put on?

I quoted the wrong piece from cjfan. He said he thinks gay men put on the twang to fit in over cope. I would argue that's not the case. "

And to be clear ‘put on’ is not accurate. Some might do, others might mimic and it becomes a learned behaviour and gets repeated but the root of it is trying to find acceptance.

By *igertigerCouple (MM)  over a year ago

nr you

Is what put on?

I quoted the wrong piece from cjfan. He said he thinks gay men put on the twang to fit in over cope. I would argue that's not the case.

You have given you’re reasons why you don’t think that is the case. Until you do I can’t argue further "

Some are definitely put on just to camp it up

Is what put on?

You have given you’re reasons why you don’t think that is the case. Until you do I can’t argue further "

Very small personal reason but here it is... When growing up there was a kid that had the accent I'm on about even at 11/12 yrs old and some kids would tease him saying he's gay. He would get quite upset. Fast forward 15 yrs and he's living in Australia with his male soon to be husband. Why would he put it on at such a you g age when he's getting teased about it? He didn't come out until his late teens so why try to fit in as gay when he was denying it and getting teased?

middle of nowhere

It's stereotypical. My gay son has no lisp or accent, in fact one of my other son's who is not gay has a lisp and a softer accent.

But I do get where you're coming from. The reason your school friend didn't come out until his late teen was probably because of the taunting and bullying. Thank the Gods things are slowly changing.

Is what put on?

You have given you’re reasons why you don’t think that is the case. Until you do I can’t argue further

Very small personal reason but here it is... When growing up there was a kid that had the accent I'm on about even at 11/12 yrs old and some kids would tease him saying he's gay. He would get quite upset. Fast forward 15 yrs and he's living in Australia with his male soon to be husband. Why would he put it on at such a you g age when he's getting teased about it? He didn't come out until his late teens so why try to fit in as gay when he was denying it and getting teased?"

What you have done with this post is something very dangerous. You have picked one instance, one information point and generalised it. I am sure there are physiological reasons for that mans example. Just as there are surely physiological reasons for a straight man sounding the same. You have formed a generalised opinion and fine looking for scientific reasons (you said studies have been done) to justify your opinion based on one information point. I could get all excited and accuse you of stereotyping, prejudice etc but I don’t think that is your intention. So I’d ask you instead to just open your mind more. I reckon I have met an awful lot more gay men than you and trust me, most don’t talk in gay speak.

Why am I stereotyping? I’m gay

middle of nowhere

Why am I stereotyping? I’m gay "

It's very stereotypical of people to pigeonhole someone just because of the way they speak.

Btw... I love your photos. Beautiful.

Why am I stereotyping? I’m gay "

You can be gay and stereotype gay people. I’m gay too and I disagree with what you said. You can’t use the gay card on me

middle of nowhere

Is what put on?

Very small personal reason but here it is... When growing up there was a kid that had the accent I'm on about even at 11/12 yrs old and some kids would tease him saying he's gay. He would get quite upset. Fast forward 15 yrs and he's living in Australia with his male soon to be husband. Why would he put it on at such a you g age when he's getting teased about it? He didn't come out until his late teens so why try to fit in as gay when he was denying it and getting teased?

What you have done with this post is something very dangerous. You have picked one instance, one information point and generalised it. I am sure there are physiological reasons for that mans example. Just as there are surely physiological reasons for a straight man sounding the same. You have formed a generalised opinion and fine looking for scientific reasons (you said studies have been done) to justify your opinion based on one information point. I could get all excited and accuse you of stereotyping, prejudice etc but I don’t think that is your intention. So I’d ask you instead to just open your mind more. I reckon I have met an awful lot more gay men than you and trust me, most don’t talk in gay speak. "

Exactly.

Is what put on?

What you have done with this post is something very dangerous. You have picked one instance, one information point and generalised it. I am sure there are physiological reasons for that mans example. Just as there are surely physiological reasons for a straight man sounding the same. You have formed a generalised opinion and fine looking for scientific reasons (you said studies have been done) to justify your opinion based on one information point. I could get all excited and accuse you of stereotyping, prejudice etc but I don’t think that is your intention. So I’d ask you instead to just open your mind more. I reckon I have met an awful lot more gay men than you and trust me, most don’t talk in gay speak. "

Stop now. You said it was pretentious early on and that they put it on to fit in and cope. I said it's not put on and gave a solid personal reason as to why I would argue it isn't. Argue why it is don't go off. I also said my friend came out to me as gay after school and he doesn't have the twang. I'm extremely aware that most and I said it already in the forum (the majority) don't have the twang but it is a common thing. What's the reasons behind it? You seem to think it's put on and a coping mechanism and I thank you for your input. Atleast you gave the question a go.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

Do the way people speak dictates whether they are gay or not??

By that logic all people with country accents are farmers.

"Do the way people speak dictates whether they are gay or not??

By that logic all people with country accents are farmers. "

Aren't they?

" Very small personal reason but here it is... When growing up there was a kid that had the accent I'm on about even at 11/12 yrs old and some kids would tease him saying he's gay. He would get quite upset. Fast forward 15 yrs and he's living in Australia with his male soon to be husband. Why would he put it on at such a you g age when he's getting teased about it? He didn't come out until his late teens so why try to fit in as gay when he was denying it and getting teased?

What you have done with this post is something very dangerous. You have picked one instance, one information point and generalised it. I am sure there are physiological reasons for that mans example. Just as there are surely physiological reasons for a straight man sounding the same. You have formed a generalised opinion and fine looking for scientific reasons (you said studies have been done) to justify your opinion based on one information point. I could get all excited and accuse you of stereotyping, prejudice etc but I don’t think that is your intention. So I’d ask you instead to just open your mind more. I reckon I have met an awful lot more gay men than you and trust me, most don’t talk in gay speak.

Stop now. You said it was pretentious early on and that they put it on to fit in and cope. I said it's not put on and gave a solid personal reason as to why I would argue it isn't. Argue why it is don't go off. I also said my friend came out to me as gay after school and he doesn't have the twang. I'm extremely aware that most and I said it already in the forum (the majority) don't have the twang but it is a common thing. What's the reasons behind it? You seem to think it's put on and a coping mechanism and I thank you for your input. Atleast you gave the question a go. "

Apologies I didn’t word my initial responses clearly enough and I didn’t clarify enough. Speech is a learnt behaviour, not an immutable physical trait. Any one of us growing up in a different environment would have different ways of speaking, some change as they grow, depending on their environment. Therefore speech as a way to identify someone’s sexuality is not reliable. It may indicate that they interact with a lot of other gay men or spend time around farmers but it is a consequence of environment in my opinion.

I am just giving my experiences as a gay man who doesn’t speak with ‘gay male speech’. I may be very wrong and am open to be corrected. I try to keep an open mind,

» Add a new message to this topic