FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > How did you quit?

How did you quit?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Decided i was going to quit smoking 2 weeks ago and started on the e cig ( i know its kind of cheating ). Now im wondering how long should i stay on this before giving it up? Im slowly getting passed the bad mood period lol.

At the minute i am using 6mg liquid in the e cig. Should i try going to 0mg for a while or just try cut it out altogether? Appreciate any hints or tips

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

I just stopped

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

To be honest, I just decided I was going to quit and then I just did. But I have the kind of mind where if I don't want to do something I won't. And I didn't want to smoke anymore. I smoked for around 10-12 years.

I would say though if cold turkey isn't your style to ween yourself off the vape slowly. Just take it less and less gradually until you are used to not taking it at all.

Used to smoke 40 a day back in the 80’s. Couldn’t afford them (£1.62 for 20 Rothmans back then). Slowly cut down....35 then 30 etc. etc until I was down to 10 a day. Then cut them out altogether......was tough going but worth it in the end. One or two slips in first few years (one or two fags here or there) but was determined to stay off them. It’s very hard to do but so worth it in the end..... it’s mind over matter!

By *ommando4Man  over a year ago

South Co. Dublin

I quit by going on the ecigs about 6 years ago...haven't looked back since....much fitter and feeling all round healthier, smell good, clean white teeth...I have no intention of quitting the ecigs as love the mojito juice.

Fare play to yee to be able go completely cold turkey, that must of being hard. Id love to do it but id be afraid id be in too bad of a humour lol. Im slowly breaking the habit of having a smoke at 11 a.m 1 p.m.

Yeah im finding the mentol in the e cig very nice at the minute but with the weekend approaching and going out, im already craving a cig

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

Went cold turkey aswell about 5 and a half years ago.

I just got it in my head that I didn't want to smoke anymore.

The thing that helped me most was that I never said to myself that I can't smoke anymore, I told myself I can smoke anytime I want but I'd rather not. And when the urge got a bit much I told myself to leave it for a while and if I still fancy one later then I can. The urge always passed.

The key to this mentality is you don't feel like you're forcing yourself to quit and you're not putting yourself under pressure.

Interesting enough though, I can still enjoy a spliff or two from time to time and not get the urge to smoke cigarettes.

It's a mindset.

Sweet stopped smoking cigarettes 4/5 years ago.she also used the e cig to help her cravings.

She's still on it,puffing away more than she ever did on the ciggies.

By *irtypair00Couple  over a year ago

Dublin

I'm off them 17yrs now . I gave them up nye 2001 cold turkey and never looked back after smoking for about 10yrs .

I don't see the point in the ecig or vaping . First few day up to a week your having withdrawals from them . After that it's all in your head .

Mr dirty

By *illium_cobblersMan  over a year ago

swords & Derby

Tried for ages and failed. Stopped the day we decided to start a family never wanted one since, think its you really have to want to and have a reason... then its simple.

Stopped for a bet over 15 years ago now.

It was hard at the start but I won the bet lol so a win win for me

I gave up about 14 years ago.

Completed a full course of patches and never had a craving

By *avid4olderMan  over a year ago

North Coast

My mate swore by The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr and said it was amazing (for him) - he went back on them though as he no longer wanted to "not" smoke.

Read Allen Carr easy way, it’s the only way to quit

You can’t quit using what your addicted to

By *ancirishduoCouple  over a year ago

Preston

Cold turkey. And the promise to wifey never to smoke which i remember and use if the craving ever momentarily enters my head again

By *im tim timMan  over a year ago

c

i just stopped when the smoking ban came in..just will power..

By *ustin 100Man  over a year ago

Galway

Quit about 20 years ago, picked an insignificant date, told no one, found encouragement from well meaning people only reminded me of what i was trying to do, it worked was a 40 major a day man

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

You just have to go cold turkey don't start on E cigs you will get addicted to them .

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

"Quit about 20 years ago, picked an insignificant date, told no one, found encouragement from well meaning people only reminded me of what i was trying to do, it worked was a 40 major a day man"
so was I and got a sore troath and could not smoke and got off and never looked back

By *ornybarMan  over a year ago

clonmel

I went cold turkey. Slowly cut down and went from 20 a day to about 3 a day. Made sure I had it in my head to give up. And that I was ready too. Made sure I had no cigs on me when I woke up the day I was ready to try give up. Never looked back. That was about 7 and a half years ago. To be honest it wasn’t the hardest thing I’ve ever done!!!

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

[Removed by poster at 27/10/18 01:08:59]

Dunboyne & Dublin

Allen Carr Easyway got me off them for two years. Unfortunately a very stressful period put me back on them.

Tried the vape but any time having a drink, had to have real fags.

Quit altogether, get through 3wks of torture, don't drink and best of luck.

Allen Carr book will give you the mindset.

Warning! It's a pain in the ass reading it a second n third time

Got myself pregnant not sure will work for you but definitely worked on me off them nearly 15 yrs now

Dunboyne & Dublin

"Got myself pregnant not sure will work for you but definitely worked on me off them nearly 15 yrs now "

I think that will work out cheaper in the long run and much more beneficial for you

If OP manages it, he'll be worth a bloody fortune too

I just stopped. The only addiction I have is caffeine.

"Used to smoke 40 a day back in the 80’s. Couldn’t afford them (£1.62 for 20 Rothmans back then). Slowly cut down....35 then 30 etc. etc until I was down to 10 a day. Then cut them out altogether......was tough going but worth it in the end. One or two slips in first few years (one or two fags here or there) but was determined to stay off them. It’s very hard to do but so worth it in the end..... it’s mind over matter!"

this is similar to me I cut down then was down to one a day so just stopped. I had relapses but that's OK I stíll keep stopping afterwards . Stopped now 12 years and really dislike them now smell, taste etc

Its great hearing all these stories from people who have quit.. gives me a bit if hope to be like ye.

Today is day 1 without the e cig and almost into the third week without a fag. Getting there! Am heading out tomorrow night so thats going to be the tester

"Its great hearing all these stories from people who have quit.. gives me a bit if hope to be like ye.

Today is day 1 without the e cig and almost into the third week without a fag. Getting there! Am heading out tomorrow night so thats going to be the tester "

I rang the quit line they gave me a starter pack I was delighted and learned alot from it. Maybe try that going out is always a huge risk. I used to get nuts to nibble on while friends were out having a smoke. As it is a hand to mouth action x

By *exyDownUnderWoman  over a year ago

Westmeath

Easter this year I decided enough was enough and took my last one.

Cold turkey is the way I did it cos I didn't want to be addicted to a replacement.

And tbh I've never looked back

"Its great hearing all these stories from people who have quit.. gives me a bit if hope to be like ye.

Today is day 1 without the e cig and almost into the third week without a fag. Getting there! Am heading out tomorrow night so thats going to be the tester

I rang the quit line they gave me a starter pack I was delighted and learned alot from it. Maybe try that going out is always a huge risk. I used to get nuts to nibble on while friends were out having a smoke. As it is a hand to mouth action x"

Havent heard anyone suggest that idea before. What is in the pack they send? Patches? Yeah i will have to try stay away from the smoking area i think because if i end up there ill give in

"Easter this year I decided enough was enough and took my last one.

Cold turkey is the way I did it cos I didn't want to be addicted to a replacement.

And tbh I've never looked back "

Were you moody for a while going cold turkey? Thats what im afraid of it that ill fly off the handle too easy

I rang the quit line they gave me a starter pack I was delighted and learned alot from it. Maybe try that going out is always a huge risk. I used to get nuts to nibble on while friends were out having a smoke. As it is a hand to mouth action x

Havent heard anyone suggest that idea before. What is in the pack they send? Patches? Yeah i will have to try stay away from the smoking area i think because if i end up there ill give in "

Ring the smokers quit line google the number. In the pack I got leaflets with info stragies and no smoking signs/stickers. I was delighted, I really made good use of all that was in it. But it was 12 years ago now so I dunno what they do now these days. They used to phone me on a daily basis with moral support.

Chupa chups to keep your hand and mouth busy

Havent heard anyone suggest that idea before. What is in the pack they send? Patches? Yeah i will have to try stay away from the smoking area i think because if i end up there ill give in

Ring the smokers quit line google the number. In the pack I got leaflets with info stragies and no smoking signs/stickers. I was delighted, I really made good use of all that was in it. But it was 12 years ago now so I dunno what they do now these days. They used to phone me on a daily basis with moral support. "

I might give that a go so, cant do any harm. Thanka for the info

"Chupa chups to keep your hand and mouth busy "

i think i might get a few weird looks from customers in work if im here with a lolly pop in my mouth haha

» Add a new message to this topic