FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Mental health issues

Mental health issues

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If you came across someone you met on here who showed you signs of mental health issues , like depression

Would you try help or run like hell ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Well tbh I was that very person a couple months back. I was in a dangerous place after bottling it up for so long. The ship finally sank crashing to bottom. Luckily I had support outside as well as here. But it amazed me how kind everyone was on here between males females and couples. And especially one lady who always checks in on me and I am grateful to have that. you know who you are my dear. So in terms to your question yes I do believe 100% that people will help someone whos feeling down on here..

By *ogersays...Man  over a year ago

blanchardstown

"If you came across someone you met on here who showed you signs of mental health issues , like depression

Would you try help or run like hell ? "

I meet a few man, one lady told me she tried to commit suicide 5 times etc.. I said to her 'your obviously not very good at finalising things are you!! ' let's say she wasn't impressed!! She was a right looball

By *exyDownUnderWoman  over a year ago

Westmeath

Having been there myself ... I would definitely give my ear to someone, cos sometimes that's all that's needed.

By *iktikiCouple  over a year ago

city centre

"If you came across someone you met on here who showed you signs of mental health issues , like depression

I meet a few man, one lady told me she tried to commit suicide 5 times etc.. I said to her 'your obviously not very good at finalising things are you!! ' let's say she wasn't impressed!! She was a right looball"

Who’s the looball ffs

blanchardstown

"Having been there myself ... I would definitely give my ear to someone, cos sometimes that's all that's needed."

Your a 100% right, a friend in need..

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

I'm not qualified to help them.

blanchardstown

I meet a few man, one lady told me she tried to commit suicide 5 times etc.. I said to her 'your obviously not very good at finalising things are you!! ' let's say she wasn't impressed!! She was a right looball

Who’s the looball ffs"

And here there was another mad yoke addicted to non alcoholic beer, ah ffs like man

Of course.

I doubt many on here are qualified to help them. Sometimes listening someone is helping, when they can say aloud to another human that they have a problem.

That is a tough first step. Maybe guide towards proper services if you have the info.

Fuck it, yes, send a simple message and check in on them.

Run a mile? Wow. Lovely. Put yourself in their shoes for a bit.

I have been on both sides of this topic. Not quite out the other side yet but getting there.

Be there myself and also here for a chat with someone feeling down

By *irvana999Man  over a year ago

city

100% someone who wants to listin is a life saver ,literally,,and ten minute conversation can save someone's life ,dont matter if your qualified, that's not what it's about,,,its realising that someone, might understand you ,,or even just that someone gives a fuck.

"I'm not qualified to help them."

What sort of qualifications do you need to lend someone your ear. Its not always about giving advice and in most cases it not about giving advice at all.

city

That's it dont even have to talk ,listen

By *ary-JaneWoman  over a year ago

mid ulster

Helping each other out is what it's all about.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

You dont have to be qualified......just to know someone is there to listen and maybe point you to the qualified help is all it takes

By *ohng69Man  over a year ago

athenry

"Well tbh I was that very person a couple months back. I was in a dangerous place after bottling it up for so long. The ship finally sank crashing to bottom. Luckily I had support outside as well as here. But it amazed me how kind everyone was on here between males females and couples. And especially one lady who always checks in on me and I am grateful to have that. you know who you are my dear. So in terms to your question yes I do believe 100% that people will help someone whos feeling down on here.."

Good to hear that things are improving for you. Thankfully I've been lucky that i don't suffer from depression, but it costs nothing to lend an ear to someone who does, and sometimes relief will come from an unexpected source. It's not always and only qualified people that get you through the tough times so those non qualified people that helped deserve praise too. A bonus for you is you made a good friend by the looks of it

city

I'd also say to anyone who live with depression that learning about the brain and your physcology is a big help ,understanding it is half the battle

Sometimes strangers are a better ear than your friends. I wore a mask for years hiding awful undiagnosed depression. Once diagnosed and getting help I disclosed to my 'friends' and not one of them and I mean not one, ever checked in with me. Luckily I had an amazing family structure and support from friends I had built online through Instagram.

Also note that those friends are not my friends anymore. If they can't be there at your worst they don't diserve you at your best.

Always listen and never judge, you never know how bad of a time someone is going through.

city

Ye I hear ye sometimes people dont know what to do ,so just do nothing,,Good to hear your doing well

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

Reminds me of a photo i saw online before of a hot goth teen..dresssd in black voluptuous breasts..i scrolled down to the comments to which 1 smart reply struck me "I would fu*k the depression out of her"

city

"I'm not qualified to help them.

What sort of qualifications do you need to lend someone your ear. Its not always about giving advice and in most cases it not about giving advice at all."

I do that for everyone. I don't consider that helping people, I consider it just being normal.

I would consider helping someone to set them on a path to recovery, and having never been depressed, and only knowing what I read about it, its a serious condition that they should set out on the right path to recovery with help from someone who knows the right way to go.

It’s something I’ve done before and will continue to do.

What sort of qualifications do you need to lend someone your ear. Its not always about giving advice and in most cases it not about giving advice at all.

I do that for everyone. I don't consider that helping people, I consider it just being normal.

I would consider helping someone to set them on a path to recovery, and having never been depressed, and only knowing what I read about it, its a serious condition that they should set out on the right path to recovery with help from someone who knows the right way to go."

we all listen to everyone well most do I personally dont think you do and tbh I think you should start with your recent replies and rude attitude. So your telling me now of you seen A person about to jump off a bridge/building/cliffs what ever the case maybe your just gonna walk past an say I am not qualified? you my friend is the one who needs help!! Unbelievable

"Well tbh I was that very person a couple months back. I was in a dangerous place after bottling it up for so long. The ship finally sank crashing to bottom. Luckily I had support outside as well as here. But it amazed me how kind everyone was on here between males females and couples. And especially one lady who always checks in on me and I am grateful to have that. you know who you are my dear. So in terms to your question yes I do believe 100% that people will help someone whos feeling down on here..

Good to hear that things are improving for you. Thankfully I've been lucky that i don't suffer from depression, but it costs nothing to lend an ear to someone who does, and sometimes relief will come from an unexpected source. It's not always and only qualified people that get you through the tough times so those non qualified people that helped deserve praise too. A bonus for you is you made a good friend by the looks of it "

it was non qualified people who actually cared the most tbh in my case which was a bonus. Qualified only gave me advice on medications and crap they where helpful dont get me wrong it was the other side that was the most helping hand in my case anyway

To any one who feel under pressure and depressed the Irish free phone number for the Samaritans is

116 123

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

Yes, I would offer to help. I'm a good listener.

I would consider helping someone to set them on a path to recovery, and having never been depressed, and only knowing what I read about it, its a serious condition that they should set out on the right path to recovery with help from someone who knows the right way to go. we all listen to everyone well most do I personally dont think you do and tbh I think you should start with your recent replies and rude attitude. So your telling me now of you seen A person about to jump off a bridge/building/cliffs what ever the case maybe your just gonna walk past an say I am not qualified? you my friend is the one who needs help!! Unbelievable "

He may be beyond help. Some are unwilling to venture out of their comfort zones. Live in their perfect world bubble.

Sure we are on here for the kinks, carnal desires, basic needs. But many are here for social aspects too. This includes your fellow human beings. Not like offering 'thoughts&prayers' or likes on fb. But giving a few minutes of your time for someone other than yourself. Be more.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

Of course I would, try and help sometimes another person listening and advising the best help for that person. Sometimes people feel so alone with mental health I would certainly hope I could help.

Thanks all for the advice .It's been great ,be a willing ear that's what we all can do to start with to begin to help others ....

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

It's all well and good being there to listen to someone. But if they are clearly having mental health issues eg psychosis etc then as someone said I'm not qualified to help.

"It's all well and good being there to listen to someone. But if they are clearly having mental health issues eg psychosis etc then as someone said I'm not qualified to help. "

Those first steps listening are help. Obviously only the first steps. But we can lead people down the right path to proper professional help and recovery.

Those who say they’re not qualified to help can always make a difference. Tell the person that you couldn’t possibly understand what they’re going through, but you’ll listen to what they have to say. Giving someone a moment of your time is a huge thing. Some people just need to to unload and in many cases it’s easier to do so to a relative stranger. Listen, but don’t judge. Don’t make promises. Be empathetic. If you’ve had experience, don’t make assumptions that this case is just the same as the last one. Don’t tell people that they’re being silly. Take every word seriously. What may seem a small thing to you could be huge to someone else. If you think that someone is at risk, don’t be afraid to call an ambulance. Let someone else who is qualified make a clinical judgement.

"Those who say they’re not qualified to help can always make a difference. Tell the person that you couldn’t possibly understand what they’re going through, but you’ll listen to what they have to say. Giving someone a moment of your time is a huge thing. Some people just need to to unload and in many cases it’s easier to do so to a relative stranger. Listen, but don’t judge. Don’t make promises. Be empathetic. If you’ve had experience, don’t make assumptions that this case is just the same as the last one. Don’t tell people that they’re being silly. Take every word seriously. What may seem a small thing to you could be huge to someone else. If you think that someone is at risk, don’t be afraid to call an ambulance. Let someone else who is qualified make a clinical judgement. "

city

I would consider helping someone to set them on a path to recovery, and having never been depressed, and only knowing what I read about it, its a serious condition that they should set out on the right path to recovery with help from someone who knows the right way to go.

--

we all listen to everyone well most do I personally dont think you do and tbh I think you should start with your recent replies and rude attitude. So your telling me now of you seen A person about to jump off a bridge/building/cliffs what ever the case maybe your just gonna walk past an say I am not qualified? you my friend is the one who needs help!! Unbelievable "

When I seen someone being mugged I helped them, sexually assaulted, I helped them, Their house being burgled, I helped them.

I heard a scream, seen two people come out of a house struggling, and I ran out of my house, down the road, and tackled them to the ground.

If i see someone on a bridge about to jump off, Im standing back and calling the cops. I don't think its bad thing to know that it is beyond my abilities to help someone in them circumstances.

I mean what if you went over and talked to them, and they turned to you and said "You just dont get it, its people like you that drove me to this" and they jumped off?

also notice, I listened (read) your view and didnt insult you over it, just restated my opinion

I meet a few man, one lady told me she tried to commit suicide 5 times etc.. I said to her 'your obviously not very good at finalising things are you!! ' let's say she wasn't impressed!! She was a right looball"

that's pretty fucked up man, take a look at yourself. insensitive much?

By *humper22Woman  over a year ago

waterford

As someone who suffers with depression and have tried to end it on more then one occasion as recently as last weekend.

For me when I'm in that frame of mind all the talking in the world wont help but then there are times all it takes is to have have someone to just listen. I'm not looking for advice just an ear and two arms for a cuddle. For me at the moment I'm taking one day at a time and that's all I can do.

Thank you OP for bringing this issue up

--

we all listen to everyone well most do I personally dont think you do and tbh I think you should start with your recent replies and rude attitude. So your telling me now of you seen A person about to jump off a bridge/building/cliffs what ever the case maybe your just gonna walk past an say I am not qualified? you my friend is the one who needs help!! Unbelievable

When I seen someone being mugged I helped them, sexually assaulted, I helped them, Their house being burgled, I helped them.

I heard a scream, seen two people come out of a house struggling, and I ran out of my house, down the road, and tackled them to the ground.

If i see someone on a bridge about to jump off, Im standing back and calling the cops. I don't think its bad thing to know that it is beyond my abilities to help someone in them circumstances.

I mean what if you went over and talked to them, and they turned to you and said "You just dont get it, its people like you that drove me to this" and they jumped off?

also notice, I listened (read) your view and didnt insult you over it, just restated my opinion "

If you walk away from a silent scream for help, walking towards an actual scream ain't worth shite.

Many trying to end it are screaming for help. With out moving their lips.

I hope you change your view on that. But it is your opinion. No one here has to like it though.

Look up a guy named 'Don Ritchie'. Look at his impact.

city

"If you walk away from a silent scream for help, walking towards an actual scream ain't worth shite.

"

I didn't say walk away from a silent scream, i said get the appropriate help.

But sure we all cant be like you and talk suicide attempts down in our free time. Have pity on the rest of us please.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

Sometimes a depresssd person needs a friend ..just someone to hangout with someone to go for a walk and talk with..its simple things like this that can help the most..this would be good for someone who is mildly depressed or bummed as i would say but for a person experiencing psychosis ..auditory hallucinations and the likes..its time for the professionals

"If you walk away from a silent scream for help, walking towards an actual scream ain't worth shite.

I didn't say walk away from a silent scream, i said get the appropriate help.

But sure we all cant be like you and talk suicide attempts down in our free time. Have pity on the rest of us please."

It's ok. Your attitude to others can be seen on other posts.

Thanks for your input

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

[Removed by poster at 18/08/19 18:42:51]

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

----------------------------

The power of listening to someone or asking a few simple questions can work wonders Even a "Hi" and a smile or a compliment can work wonders on improving someone else's life

"A few words of encouragement can set somebody up for life"

Try to help & also to point them in the direction of organisations that can help ... as others have said, taking an interest or just chatting may just be the help the person needs at that time...never under estimate how you may help

By *oft_sexy_sweetWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I say this with someone who has depression, has a long history of it, still being treated for it, will probably always have it...

There is fuck all someone on the Internet can do to help your depression. The only person who can help your depression is you, which is the hardest thing in the world because you are fighting against your own brain. But all the talking in the world makes no difference unless you are prepared to do the extremely difficult work of getting help from professionals - counselling, medication, lifestyle changes. People who are close to you can hold your hand while you do this, but you have to do it by yourself and for yourself ultimately.

Secondly - indulging toxic behaviours like venting to strangers online, listening to self harm talk, listening to endless tales of woe from a depressed person isn't actually helping them, it's preventing them from getting real, effective help.

You don't need to be mean, or shut down conversation, or run away, but you can and should enforce boundaries and direct that person to the correct resources. "That sounds tough, have you spoken to a doctor / professional?" is the approach that is most beneficial, in my experience.

Once I was no longer being enabled to wallow and stew in my own self-pity and self-hatred (and boy do I love a good wallow) did I seek the help that actually made the difference.

Thirdly - unless you're a medical professional you can't diagnose someone's mental illness over the Internet.

By *ay_DubMan  over a year ago

Dublin

I’ve been at the worst of it and know how it feels to think you have nothing! I’d always be there for someone! No matter who, just to lend an ear and tell them its going to be ok

Sometimes just been there to listen can be all that is needed. One of the hardest things to do for someone with depression or anxiety is actually admitting it because they spend so much time hiding it, trying not to be a burden on family or friends. I hid post natal depression for 14 yrs.

For anyone struggling check out Reasons to stay alive one of the best books out there. It's not your typical 'i suffered and I did this, do this and you will be fine"

And to anyone that is struggling just reach out to someone there is always someone who cares.

It's a daily battle for me the last 10 years.

Treat others how you would like them to treat you... Wellness n mental health has come full 180 degree in the past few year's and finally understanding caring help and assistance is out there for everyone...

So to answer your question.. Its very easy to assist anyone nowadays.. Its always someone's Son or Daughter and there is better than a thanks in all cases where a life's saved or helped someone through the caves of hell.. Everyone even the privileged hit rock bottom at some stage.. A chat doesn't cost

Those saying that chatting on the internet to strangers cant help. Sometimes it can, sometimes it cant. Sometimes someone that doesnt know you can give great impartial advice. There is no one size fits all. Maybe you dont know what help is out there, who to see. Then that's where you have to make your own mind up. What's really hard, or it was for me, is having depression, anxiety and ptsd. Took many years before I finally sought help. I had isolated myself from nearly everyone, and it was something I done which I regretted which mad me seek help.

By *addubMan  over a year ago

dublin. 12

It costs nothing to listen but could be the turning point for the person suffering from whatever mental issues to have that one person to talk to even if that person doesn't understand the problem. If you cant do a good turn then dont do any at all.

city

Well said

Mental health issues can be so varied and on different extremities. If someone had depression or anxiety it's no big deal to me. It wouldn't cross my mind to run. While it's not my job to fix people, I would offer some comforting chat. There are people on here with more severe issues which become obvious very quickly. Sometimes you have to look after yourself and not engage. There are some people on fab that wouldn't be good for me nor I for them.

I say this with someone who has depression, has a long history of it, still being treated for it, will probably always have it...

There is fuck all someone on the Internet can do to help your depression. The only person who can help your depression is you, which is the hardest thing in the world because you are fighting against your own brain. But all the talking in the world makes no difference unless you are prepared to do the extremely difficult work of getting help from professionals - counselling, medication, lifestyle changes. People who are close to you can hold your hand while you do this, but you have to do it by yourself and for yourself ultimately.

Secondly - indulging toxic behaviours like venting to strangers online, listening to self harm talk, listening to endless tales of woe from a depressed person isn't actually helping them, it's preventing them from getting real, effective help.

You don't need to be mean, or shut down conversation, or run away, but you can and should enforce boundaries and direct that person to the correct resources. "That sounds tough, have you spoken to a doctor / professional?" is the approach that is most beneficial, in my experience.

Once I was no longer being enabled to wallow and stew in my own self-pity and self-hatred (and boy do I love a good wallow) did I seek the help that actually made the difference.

Thirdly - unless you're a medical professional you can't diagnose someone's mental illness over the Internet.

"

well said finally a voice of reason

Some wonderful advice here on this issues, thank you all

By *cerlass321Couple  over a year ago

kilkenny

[Removed by poster at 19/08/19 19:20:09]

By *ustin-SiderMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"As someone who suffers with depression and have tried to end it on more then one occasion as recently as last weekend.

For me when I'm in that frame of mind all the talking in the world wont help but then there are times all it takes is to have have someone to just listen. I'm not looking for advice just an ear and two arms for a cuddle. For me at the moment I'm taking one day at a time and that's all I can do.

Thank you OP for bringing this issue up"

I've read through this entire thread and out of all the comments people made and the comments that I want to make in regards to those comments this is the one that stood out the most to me. I hope you're doing ok. Doesn't even have to be a day at a time, take it minute to minute. I've two ears right here if you ever want a listener and I'm extending you two virtual arms for a huge cuddle. Please hang in there. I care and others do too. xo

» Add a new message to this topic