FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Anyone else absolutely despise GAA

Anyone else absolutely despise GAA

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I played hurling and GAA football as a kid but any organisation that makes TV rights and doesn’t pay its players is exploitation. I refuse to watch it. Plus I’m afraid it’s the most unsexy sport on the planet, I avoid GAA jerseys like the the plague.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oreignaffairKKMan  over a year ago

Between CW and KK

"I played hurling and GAA football as a kid but any organisation that makes TV rights and doesn’t pay its players is exploitation. I refuse to watch it. Plus I’m afraid it’s the most unsexy sport on the planet, I avoid GAA jerseys like the the plague."

Man, if you'd be only interested in GAA because of the guys' sexy jerseys, then well, I have a bad new for you...

Ps: camogie skirts are sexy.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Do you prefer rugby because their sexy shirts make them look all hench, like they could give you a good pounding?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The GAA plough money into development and local communities and dont pay the best players any more than some rubbish u16 sub at your local club I for one love that.

The FAI pay their elite players... should the GAA follow that model

I 100% disagree with you and think no matter what you think of the money men in the GAA you should still support your club and county. Paid hurlers and footballers would ruin the best two spots in the world

By *oreignaffairKKMan  over a year ago

Between CW and KK

"I 100% disagree with you and think no matter what you think of the money men in the GAA you should still support your club and county. Paid hurlers and footballers would ruin the best two spots in the world "

+1

Always said turn up at Gaa grounds and there’s floodlight pitches, clubhouse, dressing rooms etc

Turn up a football pitch in the country, it’s a pitch in a field and change out of metal containers

By *r tayt2Man  over a year ago

Trim

The Gaa is not perfect true

But it is unique

As there is a pitch in every parish town village in Ireland

It's a community thing and boys and girls are playing football from when there eight years of age

And form bonds with fellow players

Have a son who is in his twenty's who is one of those guys don't think they would care about money to be honest

If it keeps them away from all the other crap that's around these days it's a good thing and that goes across any sport

And in a few years there the guys giveing back helping the under eights being involved

Long may it last

Been involved with Gaa all my life ,think it fantastic for boys and girls cant imagine a local community without its football/hurling. Its uniquely ours and long may it continue.

"I played hurling and GAA football as a kid but any organisation that makes TV rights and doesn’t pay its players is exploitation. I refuse to watch it. Plus I’m afraid it’s the most unsexy sport on the planet, I avoid GAA jerseys like the the plague."

Absolute nonsense EVERY business on the planet exploits their workers

By *hy_bangor_bi-girlWoman  over a year ago

Bangor

Most players get expenses now. Two words fro you "dublin footballers"

And would you not rather develop grassroots players rather looking after the top level only?

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Surely there's no doubt the GAA does great work all over the country.

My only criticism with the GAA is that most school sport is based around hurling and gaelic, if yourself or your child isn't into it, he/she's been left out and sports lessons and sports days become a farce and a pain because there's no alternative for those who are not into the sport.

The tribalism and cronyism that comes with it is also not my thing.

At least you don’t have to worry about what part of the country you’re born in or what fee paying school you go to in order to play it, unlike certain other sports. Nothing worse than elitism when it comes to sport.

By *unnyfookMan  over a year ago

Naas

don't despise it, but do find a clique in the local club if your not in it your kid doesn't get many games,enjoy watching it tho.

By *unnyfookMan  over a year ago

Naas

"Surely there's no doubt the GAA does great work all over the country.

My only criticism with the GAA is that most school sport is based around hurling and gaelic, if yourself or your child isn't into it, he/she's been left out and sports lessons and sports days become a farce and a pain because there's no alternative for those who are not into the sport.

The tribalism and cronyism that comes with it is also not my thing."

it's extreem

Agree wholeheartedly with thís, and as for the person above who thinks involvement in sport keeps them away from other crap, my LC daughter informs me that the kids in her year doing the most drugs are the hurling "jocks".

Like any sport it has its pro's and con's but I think it's great for the young ones and in at the heart of every wee community throughout ireland.fermanagh for Sam

"Like any sport it has its pro's and con's but I think it's great for the young ones and in at the heart of every wee community throughout ireland.fermanagh for Sam "

You live in hope

Anyone up for a puck around though

"Like any sport it has its pro's and con's but I think it's great for the young ones and in at the heart of every wee community throughout ireland.fermanagh for Sam

You live in hope "

oh I do Jilly aswell as an all Ireland

city

Paying players would just mean Dublin would dominate in the Hurling as well as football, they would just pay the players to come play for them. Thats how pro level sports works.

Some sort of base payment for the players could be nice, but they should all have to thank Dublin every time they get paid, and they should all have to sing molly malone before every match to thank us for the money.

By *xyzptlk088Man  over a year ago

Galway

Fuck the grab all association. Great respect for the players but the guys in charge are greedy bastards.

"Like any sport it has its pro's and con's but I think it's great for the young ones and in at the heart of every wee community throughout ireland.fermanagh for Sam

You live in hope "

See ye got our ricey on board now to lead ye to glory next year

"Fuck the grab all association. Great respect for the players but the guys in charge are greedy bastards. "

Example?

Well, it's true. Only after school activities such like: martial arts, tennis, basketball (rare in Ireland),rowing, swimming and soccer. My kids have interest in these sports but no in GAA.

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

Hurling is the best sport on the planet. Truly sublime.

Only downside to sport is injuries and players losing out on wages,involved in my club and it does hurt seeing players injured. But you have friends for life even in your rival clubs,can also see why there is divided opinion on this thread.

"Hurling is the best sport on the planet. Truly sublime. "

Agree with you 150%

The tribalism and cronyism that comes with it is also not my thing.

Well, it's true. Only after school activities such like: martial arts, tennis, basketball (rare in Ireland),rowing, swimming and soccer. My kids have interest in these sports but no in GAA.

"

There is a basketball league in Ireland.

What an asshole thing to say , it's the fastest & most skillful team sport in the world . You obviously don't know your arse from your elbow

Absolutely ! #GAA&PROUD !!!

"Hurling is the best sport on the planet. Truly sublime.

Absolutely ! #GAA&PROUD !!!"

without a doubt hurling is the best sport to watch and play

"I played hurling and GAA football as a kid but any organisation that makes TV rights and doesn’t pay its players is exploitation. I refuse to watch it. Plus I’m afraid it’s the most unsexy sport on the planet, I avoid GAA jerseys like the the plague.

What an asshole thing to say , it's the fastest & most skillful team sport in the world . You obviously don't know your arse from your elbow

"

You don’t really mention which part of the statement you disagree with?? Yes it’s fast and skilful, there was nothing to dispute that.

It's not a sport I've ever had an interest in, no particular reason though. You like what you like and all that

By *xyzptlk088Man  over a year ago

Galway

"Fuck the grab all association. Great respect for the players but the guys in charge are greedy bastards.

Example?"

are you having a giraffe? you do realise they have been called the bgrab all association for longer than I have been alive and not for no reason either?

"Fuck the grab all association. Great respect for the players but the guys in charge are greedy bastards.

Example?

are you having a giraffe? you do realise they have been called the bgrab all association for longer than I have been alive and not for no reason either?"

Sooooo examples? Actual ones not perceptions or storys

city

Example?

are you having a giraffe? you do realise they have been called the bgrab all association for longer than I have been alive and not for no reason either?"

Up in Dublin we call them the "Give back assosiation", cause they give so much back to us

Never seen as much nepotism in my life, as I have in rural ireland, Junior C football clubs. Every year I would see young lads training all year long in the rain and cold, only for some auld lad to come out of retirement a week before the championship starts take their position.

The GAA sickens me.

"Never seen as much nepotism in my life, as I have in rural ireland, Junior C football clubs. Every year I would see young lads training all year long in the rain and cold, only for some auld lad to come out of retirement a week before the championship starts take their position.

The GAA sickens me. "

Let me guess. Your that young lad riding the bench aren’t you?

"Never seen as much nepotism in my life, as I have in rural ireland, Junior C football clubs. Every year I would see young lads training all year long in the rain and cold, only for some auld lad to come out of retirement a week before the championship starts take their position.

The GAA sickens me.

Let me guess. Your that young lad riding the bench aren’t you?"

Actually, this is the female half. Was super involved in men's/women's local teams in various coaching and playing roles. It's a fucked up league that's more about who you know than what you do.

By *odernLoveDublinMan  over a year ago

dublin

Thats why only about 9 of the 32 counties on this small island with a tiny population play the game!

Have a reality check.

» Add a new message to this topic