FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Vegans / vegetarian

Vegans / vegetarian

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iggles OP   Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Are there many on here? ( Cue the ridicule and jokes)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

E has recently embarked on trying to follow a vegan diet for health reasons. Feel free to drop us a message as he doesn't come on the forums much

Casey has gone almost vegan in last few months. The odd fish or prawn gets eaten now and then. I'm not ready yet, maybe someday.

Its like any dietary choice you still have to be careful what you eat as vegan too. Lots of food that is considered vegan, but still junk.

By *ofistimacatedMan  over a year ago

cavan town

Johnny opens group "bbq"

Dave- can't wait for the bbq this weekend

Johnny- yeah should be great are there any vegans in the group?

Sarah- yeah I'm a vegan thanks for asking

(Sarah has been removed from the group)

By *ofistimacatedMan  over a year ago

cavan town

"Johnny opens group "bbq"

(Sarah has been removed from the group) "

Seriously though, i have a lot of respect for vegans/vegetarians. I've been eating a lot healthier over the last year and feel so much better. Have gone through vegetarian weeks, but can't keep it going long term

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I'm neither nor, but I've a very healthy diet and detest processed food. Most days of the week I cook vegetarian, but I also like a bit of organic meat now and then.

Watch the game changers on Netflix I’m going do vegan diet for a bit see how it works out

(Sarah has been removed from the group) "

Is it about me?

Yes, Im vegan (formerly vegetarian and time to time was eating a seafood) and done it for healthy reasons when was diagnosed with cancer first time.

Some people say its a regime diet, some people say we vegans lost our minds.

Being a vegan doesnt mean your sacrifice a lot. There are lots of variations of raw and prepared meals.

My daily ratio raw vs processed (steamed, roast veggies or soup) is 80/20

Feel free to ask

Have a good day, Fabbers!

"Watch the game changers on Netflix I’m going do vegan diet for a bit see how it works out "

This is what encouraged E to take the leap

I tried going vegan just to see how it affected my body. Lasted a week.

I was constantly tired, hungry and grumpy as hell.

Some people just aren't built for it...

Altough processed food has the same effect on me, so I do avoid it too.

(Sarah has been removed from the group)

Is it about me?

Yes, Im vegan (formerly vegetarian and time to time was eating a seafood) and done it for healthy reasons when was diagnosed with cancer first time.

Some people say its a regime diet, some people say we vegans lost our minds.

Being a vegan doesnt mean your sacrifice a lot. There are lots of variations of raw and prepared meals.

My daily ratio raw vs processed (steamed, roast veggies or soup) is 80/20

Feel free to ask

Have a good day, Fabbers! "

The Banana is ok?? Oh and sorry to hear about the C word.

Dublin

I'm a vegan/ vegetarian for the past 24 years , I'm just really interested in what % of ppl here are going that direction.

The real kicker here is how it affects the taste of your juices. I never seem to be able to tell the difference in women but the all too popular celery and pineapple got me very naughty feedback

Dublin

Cool glad there is at least one here

Dublin

And what did you eat for the week ?

"I'm a vegan/ vegetarian for the past 24 years , I'm just really interested in what % of ppl here are going that direction."

In States lots of people, same in Europe. In Asia their diet is definitely healthier than here: fresh and raw food, lots of turmeric, ginger and other spices in their diet. All of them make their immune system stronger than we have.

Kaizer is a carnivore

"And what did you eat for the week ?"

I start my day from a lukwarm water with 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Then green smoothie on 1st breakfast. 2nd breakfast is overnight porridge with berries and seeds, lunch time: it depends - veggie stew, veggie burger, soup, casserole, lasagna, pancakes (zucinni or potato or beetroot) with a mushroom sauce/ tomato sauce, zucinni as a pasta with pesto, salads, etc; dinner: sometimes its a smoothie, or salad

"Kaizer is a carnivore "

My former boss in the UK was like you now is vegan

Never say never, Kaizer

"And what did you eat for the week ?"

Tonnes of different vegetables, stewed, steamed, raw, rice, buckwheat, grains, nuts, dried fruit, beans and oils (coconut, sesame and olive). I could have a huge salad for lunch at 1.30, was absolutely starving again by 2.45.

"Kaizer is a carnivore

My former boss in the UK was like you now is vegan

Never say never, Kaizer "

N

E

V

E

R

Shhhhhmokeeeeeey

Dublin

That looks tobe very balanced diet .. (diet in terms of food ) not the hijacked 'diet' word .

Can I come for dinner ?

By *isciplinAreeNMan  over a year ago

Dublin

I’ve been always Vegetarian and sometimes Vegan over the past 30+ years. For me, being either had nothing to do with healthier eating etc, (although it’s been proven time and time again to be a healthier way of eating). Being a customer of businesses that deal primarily in animal suffering and cruelty never sat well with me, even from a young age. Most people claim to be ‘animal lovers’ and become angry/upset on hearing of a dog being abused etc , while eating the flesh of a dead pig/lamb/calf/chicken etc. It’s not necessarily that people are willingly being hypocrites, but that they’ve been conditioned by their parents who themselves were conditioned by their parents that the dead animal on their plate hasn’t suffered during its short life and cruel death. Remember, beating a dog and killing it, is in no way different to doing the same to any other animal. Each suffers fear and pain. I have, through veterinary friends of mine been allowed access to slaughterhouses here in Ireland. To say it’s a horrific place for animals is a vast understatement. You’ll never see RTÉ produce a programme recorded in a slaughterhouse. The public don’t want to see what pain and suffering their food choices are responsible for. In any event the farmers of this country (you know the ones who love their animals , or should that be the money made from the killing of their animals ) would protest and object to any such program. They simply want to maintain the disconnection that already exists between consumers and the dead animal on their dinner plate. RTÉ do however keep broadcasting on an annual basis that drivel ‘Down on the farm’ where ridiculous presenters are joyous at the birth of a lamb etc. Why don’t they show on the following year’s program that lamb’s entire life.... as a follow up? Incidentally most people recently drawn to the Vegan lifestyle only see it as healthier food. Genuine Vegans are in fact some of the most compassionate people , who object to any abuse of animals, whether that be killing them for food, wearing their skins as clothes, abusing them in circuses, experimenting on them for make-up..(and no that does not mean putting make-up on a rabbit and saying it’s pretty).. it means confining rabbits/dogs etc in restraint devices where they can’t move, pouring chemicals (which would potentially be used in lipstick/make-up/eye make-up/shampoos/cleaning products etc) into the rabbits eyes, and documenting the results. In fact the main breed of dog used in these experiments are beagles , lovely placid dogs where their hair is shaved and chemicals are placed on their skin. The resultant blistering etc is documented. The dogs’ suffering is never an issue for these companies. Only profit. Most of the products in your home are developed by companies that conduct these experiments daily in animals. After the torturous experiments are carried out over several months, the animals are killed. In fact a quick Google search will show that over 25 million animals are tortured in this way and subsequently killed every year in the USA. Sadly, we have similar laboratories here in Ireland with an American company ‘Charles River Laboratories’ operating a lab in Co Mayo. Vegans also object to greyhound racing (see the RTÉ documentary earlier this year?) , horse racing, hare coursing etc etc. Why? Because there’s cruelty inflicted on animals in each of these so called ‘Sports’. All you’ll ever see from the Galway races is the pretty women and their lavish hats... you won’t see what occurs behind the tarps when horses fall and hurt themselves, as they scream in pain with broken legs etc... you won’t hear the gunshot as the on-site vet shoots the horse. No, because that’s not the image the race organisers want the public to see. Vegans aren’t tree-huggers, in fact I don’t think I ever hugged a tree! The large companies that deal in animal suffering want the public to believe that and so ostracise them. Ask a farmer what he thinks of Vegans... my point exactly. Farmers make money from animal suffering so don’t want Vegans to be heard. It’s business. What Vegans stand for is the end of hurting animals in all its forms. If most people were honest, they’d agree, but sometimes it’s easier to go with the flow and not stand up for those who can’t speak and who suffer everyday because of our choices. Here’s a link to a YouTube video that’s not particularly graphic but makes my point. https://youtu.be/mKTORFmMycQ or (Google : eTalks The secrets of food marketing). Of course there’ll be some numbskull follow up with a comment ‘oh I’d love a bbq now’ etc. As I say 30+ years, I’ve seen all the childish reactions to these posts time and time again. It’s those who want to not be part of animal suffering who I’m aiming this post at.

Dublin

I glad someone else thinks the same way I do on here!

I’m a vegetarian! Not for health reasons haha I still eat a lot of junk food just adore animals xx

Been trying it out for the past month for health reasons. So far so good, its just difficult to change from the cooking cycle ive been in for years. Ive been used to cooking with meat for so long its hard to retrain the traditional recipes stored in my mind. But im getting better.

Dublin

Tescos do beyond burgers and are are good substitute.. if your craving meat!

"Tescos do beyond burgers and are are good substitute.. if your craving meat!"

Now one thing I can't simply get at all. With thousands of variations of all different vegetarian foods that one can make.

Why do vegetarians and vegans still feel the need to make vegetables look/feel/taste like meat?

By *etite_RosyWoman  over a year ago

Now in MALAGA (SPAIN)

"Tescos do beyond burgers and are are good substitute.. if your craving meat!

Now one thing I can't simply get at all. With thousands of variations of all different vegetarian foods that one can make.

Why do vegetarians and vegans still feel the need to make vegetables look/feel/taste like meat? "

Missus, have you ever tried that bs from tthe shops?

I have tried! And vegans/ vegetarian homemade food is really tastey and yummy!

Im a seafood eater. Love all the variations but you wouldnt see me eating that shite from the supermarkets!

Regarding your question: some of them cheat themselves Truth is that real food not the junk you can buy in the shops dont look and taste like a meat. If you know what I mean. Its all about marketing. Its trendy to eat healthy,so lets give people a hope that a burger they eat looks like the real one made from any kind of meat

on the hill NordWest of

Why do vegetarians and vegans still feel the need to make vegetables look/feel/taste like meat?

Im a seafood eater. Love all the variations but you wouldnt see me eating that shite from the supermarkets!

Regarding your question: some of them cheat themselves Truth is that real food not the junk you can buy in the shops dont look and taste like a meat. If you know what I mean. Its all about marketing. Its trendy to eat healthy,so lets give people a hope that a burger they eat looks like the real one made from any kind of meat

"

You can say that in general about processed food ie oven ready made vegetarian pizza is as bad as the non vegetarian one.

Now in MALAGA (SPAIN)

You can say that in general about processed food ie oven ready made vegetarian pizza is as bad as the non vegetarian one. "

I dont eat this shite anyway We all have a choice my dear and if you like processed food, its not my business but I wouldnt eat it even if someone will pay me money to do so

on the hill NordWest of

You can say that in general about processed food ie oven ready made vegetarian pizza is as bad as the non vegetarian one.

I dont eat this shite anyway We all have a choice my dear and if you like processed food, its not my business but I wouldnt eat it even if someone will pay me money to do so "

Fully agree with you, no processed rubbish in my kitchen. All I'm saying being vegetarian but eating loads of processed vegetarian doesn't make your diet healthy.

I’ve been vegan for 10 months. I love to cook so the transition hasn’t been too difficult.

It’s just frustrating when non vegan products are put in things that should be vegan.

By *lectraleeWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I'm vegetarian but my diet leans towards more whole food plant based diet. I struggle to stop eating eggs.

Vegans preach too much for my liking (no offence to the polite ones here).

The benefits have been endless making a change to eating this way and also my impact on the environment is significantly reduced!

By *reddieRaeCouple  over a year ago

Banbridge

We're shifting the amount or whole foods/plant based foods in our diet, and it's definitely seen an improvement in health, physique and fitness levels. Not sure we could go the whole hog (excuse the pun) and go completely meat free though. I've a thing about mushrooms that kills a lot of options. Fair play to anyone who makes the lifestyle choice (and doesn't feel the need to rattle on about it, like Lewis Hamilton )

I tried going vegetarian for a couple of weeks, didn’t work for me personally. I put on weight and didn’t feel as healthy.

I’m now back on a meat only diet and have lost a stone and a half and have never felt as good!

I do miss mashed spuds with a tonne of butter mixed in lol

I’m sooooo looking forward to my Xmas dinner this year

Why do vegetarians and vegans still feel the need to make vegetables look/feel/taste like meat? "

I’m a chef for a vegan company. It’s all good food. Healthy & a great range,

I've been vegetarian since I was 12 years old

I’m a chef for a vegan company. It’s all good food. Healthy & a great range, "

You didn't get the point in my question so I'll try to break it down for you.

Here's an example:

When I stopped eating bread, I just stopped eating it. I didn't look for a healthy bread substitute that has a bread shape, taste or texture. I just completely took it off the menu and started eating something else.

So my point is why do vegetarians and vegans feel the need to make vegetables look and taste like meet? Why do vegetarians and vegans feel the need to make food look like burgers and sausages and meatballs and nuggets?

I'm not arguing the health question here as it's none of my business what people eat. Just simple curiousity of why..

Here's an example:

When I stopped eating bread, I just stopped eating it. I didn't look for a healthy bread substitute that has a bread shape, taste or texture. I just completely took it off the menu and started eating something else.

So my point is why do vegetarians and vegans feel the need to make vegetables look and taste like meet? Why do vegetarians and vegans feel the need to make food look like burgers and sausages and meatballs and nuggets?

I'm not arguing the health question here as it's none of my business what people eat. Just simple curiousity of why..

"

As a species we were all vegetarian unless we found some animals to eat, we don’t have claws or sharp teeth so we’re crappy hunters unless it’s a Black Friday!

So isn’t it the case that meat eaters make food look like vegetarian foods? Lol

(I do eat meat,)

Here's an example:

As a species we were all vegetarian unless we found some animals to eat, we don’t have claws or sharp teeth so we’re crappy hunters unless it’s a Black Friday!

(I do eat meat,) "

Every single herbivore occasionally eats meat.

Also no, meat eaters don't make food look vegetarian as you don't need to process the life out of meat to make it look like meat because well... it's meat.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

Here's an example:

(I do eat meat,) "

wrong

we are omnivores if we where herbivores we'd be able to eat grass and leaves. to say we are bad hunters is a bit silly as we hunted many species to extinction

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Vegans stop eating my foods food ffs

I heard vegan guys wont even eat pussy.

Now in MALAGA (SPAIN)

Here's an example:

"

Its just a shape my dear! Vegans and vegetarians can use different (originally in any Asian language) but its easier to call that food sausages, burgers, etc

Again... Marketing my dear!

Not vegan or vegetarian,not do I think l ever will be , l eat what I think are a healthy amount of veg and meat etc...I think one has to get the balance right with everything and hey ..l do love to dive into some steak n chips every once in a while too...

I’ve been a vegetarian for years and went vegan about a year ago, both for ethical and health reasons.

It’s not been difficult as I like to cook and experiment a lot, and most restaurants provide at least one vegan option now.

By *lik UrgeeMan  over a year ago

mallow

Is one of the rules of being a vegan that you have to tell EVERYONE that you meet that you are a vegan ??

By *heLongGoodNightMan  over a year ago

Have a listen to the Joe Rogan podcast interview with Chris Kresser. He challenges some of the assertions in The Game changer.

I’m not against the vegan diet and do like to eat healthy. Processed food is bad m’kay, but “healthy” depends on the person. And vegan/vegetarian isn’t necessarily better for the planet! There’s always another side to the story!

Happy Saturday

Dublin

[Removed by poster at 23/11/19 06:58:39]

Dublin

Here's an example:

"

So the way I see it is that the fake meat is for meat eaters that want to switch to a more ethical diet, if you ask most vegans/ vegetarians why they switch it's because of ethical reasons.

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

south side

I'm generally vegetarian, but get a craving for red meat every ten days or so. At this time of year, I can get a feeling of being cold inside, empty, hungry, so I eat meat and feel instantly warmer and full, with more energy. I don't buy junk food, grow a lot of my own, and have a very healthy diet, actually I don't eat a lot, usually a fruit and porridge breakfast, and then a small meal about 7pm.

I eat mostly vegan/vegetarian for ethical reasons, loads of brown rice/pasta and veg, I do add in Quorn or Linda Mccartney stuff for protein! That's possibly why vegans/vegetarians eat stuff that's made to look like meat; they're usually a good protein hit.

I sometimes eat cheese and have milk in my tea, and will eat meat on occasion though, I'm not militant. And I buy meat for my cats, I'd never force veganism on them!

By *oeDolansBrotherMan  over a year ago

South county

"I eat mostly vegan/vegetarian for ethical reasons, loads of brown rice/pasta and veg, I do add in Quorn or Linda Mccartney stuff for protein! That's possibly why vegans/vegetarians eat stuff that's made to look like meat; they're usually a good protein hit.

I sometimes eat cheese and have milk in my tea, and will eat meat on occasion though, I'm not militant. And I buy meat for my cats, I'd never force veganism on them! "

That diet definitely works well for you. Need a photo of the cats to see if a meat diet is good for a pussy too

on the hill NordWest of

I don't want to discredit a vegan diet and I've no problem with the idea as such. But just a little note, a vegan diet is an extreme diet as it excludes a lot of foods and so cuts out a lot of nutrition. This doesn't come without dangers (vitamin B12 deficiency, anemia, hormone disruptions - just to mention a few) and it isn't suitable for everyone respectively not everyone would benefit or thrieve on it. It all depends on your overall health and stage in life. It is important to be well informed and organised when venturing into veganism.

"I don't want to discredit a vegan diet and I've no problem with the idea as such. But just a little note, a vegan diet is an extreme diet as it excludes a lot of foods and so cuts out a lot of nutrition. This doesn't come without dangers (vitamin B12 deficiency, anemia, hormone disruptions - just to mention a few) and it isn't suitable for everyone respectively not everyone would benefit or thrieve on it. It all depends on your overall health and stage in life. It is important to be well informed and organised when venturing into veganism."

Oh most definitely. Vitamin supplements are definitely advised!

Love bacon an eggs couldn't give up plus roast beef with all the trimmings is my favourite Sunday treat..

Each to their own xx

Now in MALAGA (SPAIN)

"Is one of the rules of being a vegan that you have to tell EVERYONE that you meet that you are a vegan ?? "

Why not?! Is saved an embarrassment for a host if you dont feed well your guests

I've met many vegetarians and just one vegan lady -Smokey. Im glad she told me on the beginning about her food preferences. People these days have lots of allergies or have preferences to avoid meat.

I love seafood, raw food (veggies, nuts, fruits) eggs, and probably for a long time period wouldn't switch to eat just plant food.

Eating healthy doesnt mean eating processed food

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

"Have a listen to the Joe Rogan podcast interview with Chris Kresser. He challenges some of the assertions in The Game changer.

I’m not against the vegan diet and do like to eat healthy. Processed food is bad m’kay, but “healthy” depends on the person. And vegan/vegetarian isn’t necessarily better for the planet! There’s always another side to the story!

Happy Saturday "

I watched that podcast. He pretty much destroyed every argument they put out in that show. was very interesting.

Dublin

"I don't want to discredit a vegan diet and I've no problem with the idea as such. But just a little note, a vegan diet is an extreme diet as it excludes a lot of foods and so cuts out a lot of nutrition. This doesn't come without dangers (vitamin B12 deficiency, anemia, hormone disruptions - just to mention a few) and it isn't suitable for everyone respectively not everyone would benefit or thrieve on it. It all depends on your overall health and stage in life. It is important to be well informed and organised when venturing into veganism.

Oh most definitely. Vitamin supplements are definitely advised! "

I rarely us vitamins and supplements, and I'm a pretty a active person. I don't subscribe to vegan need vitamins and supplement! A healthy balanced diet is key ! Diet in this respect is your food choices, not for weight loss...

By *arcodeMan  over a year ago

Dublin

I was vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for almost 1 year now..feeling much healthier for it

on the hill NordWest of

"I don't want to discredit a vegan diet and I've no problem with the idea as such. But just a little note, a vegan diet is an extreme diet as it excludes a lot of foods and so cuts out a lot of nutrition. This doesn't come without dangers (vitamin B12 deficiency, anemia, hormone disruptions - just to mention a few) and it isn't suitable for everyone respectively not everyone would benefit or thrieve on it. It all depends on your overall health and stage in life. It is important to be well informed and organised when venturing into veganism.

Oh most definitely. Vitamin supplements are definitely advised!

I rarely us vitamins and supplements, and I'm a pretty a active person. I don't subscribe to vegan need vitamins and supplement! A healthy balanced diet is key ! Diet in this respect is your food choices, not for weight loss..."

I'd argue that a diet that needs to be bolstered up with vitamin supplements isn't a balanced diet. yes it is possible to cover your bodily nutrient requirements by plant food only, but it needs discipline and knowledge, ie omega3 is a particularly tricky one. As for the healtier, it has to be seen in the longterm.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Love to the vegans

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

I’m not a veggie but over a week, I do cook a lot of meals with no meat; soups, salads, pastas, curries, daal,. Have all Ottolenghi’s books which are brill. But veganism would be a step too far. So much stuff is denied to you. Life must be very complicated for vegans ; a constant checking of ingredients in things

» Add a new message to this topic