FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > London > First timer!

First timer!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    32 weeks ago

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be leaving behind a sea of fields and making my way to London for the first time. To be honest I'm quite nervous, even though I've been to other cities.

Any advice on how to survive in London would be greatly appreciated, especially how the hell one navigates the tube!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *usu99Man 32 weeks ago

Hammersmith

"Hi everyone,

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be leaving behind a sea of fields and making my way to London for the first time. To be honest I'm quite nervous, even though I've been to other cities.

Any advice on how to survive in London would be greatly appreciated, especially how the hell one navigates the tube!"

The tube... Payment by Oyster card or contactless. You can buy paper tickets but are much more expensive. Contactless is best as Oysters need a "deposit". The fares are capped once you reach the daily limit.

Important advice - stand on the right on escalators. Also, have your card ready before you reach the ticket machine.

Get a tube map from the station (if they have one). Check out the tfl website and have some idea of your route beforehand. The tfl site does have a journey planner (although it can be a tad innacurate, but it will get you there).

The trains have maps of the line in the carriages, but some lines cover different routes (District, Circle, Etc) so make sure you are looking at the right Line. They are colour coded, so go by what colour line you are on/need.

It's not as bad as it looks!

Locals will help, except a lot of people will be fellow tourists!

Have fun.

By (user no longer on site) 32 weeks ago

Download City mapper. That will help you navigate the tube network and the entire london public transport network.

Don't eat in Picadilly circus or near Oxford circus. Avoid the Angus steak house like the plague.

By *eliciousDiva69Woman 32 weeks ago

Schitts Creek

I’m from London originally and I usually just walk everywhere in central (unless I’m in a rush) as I enjoy the ambiance and sights which you’ll miss if you spend your day on the tube

By * pervert in a PeartreeMan 32 weeks ago

city of Lodon

There are lots of bike hire schemes and you can look at the visitLondon website for things to do.

Trip adviser is also good.

By (user no longer on site) OP    32 weeks ago

Thank you so much guys, this has been incredibly helpful! I've just arrived so it's a lot to take in

By *usu99Man 32 weeks ago

Hammersmith

If you have time and don't want to use the tube, the river boat services are good. Greenwich to central London is a good way to sightsee. The 'commuter' ones tend to be less busy than tourist ones and you won't get a commentary, but they are also cheaper.

In Central London, West End, etc it's not too far to just walk.

Enjoy the parks too. Museums are (mostly) free and avoid the tourist areas when eating, even heading down some quieter streets a few minutes away can save lots of money.

The City is very quiet at weekends, so that is a good time to see the shiny buildings.

Hope you have a great time

» Add a new message to this topic