FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Voyager

Voyager

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

During lockdown I've been getting back into a hobby I had as a kid: space.

It's all a bit more interesting than before though as you can now download apps from NASA to view images from their satellites etc. Beats a boring book and a cheap telescope that I used to have. I can't believe though that

Voyager 1 and 2 are still going strong and sending information back from interstellar space (the only man-made objects to do this) some near 43 years from when they were launched. Simply amazing. Is anyone else a bit of a space geek?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pretty amazing to think that they’re SO far away, literally outside our solar system, and yet STILL sending data back that can be received and understood. It’s all too much for my comprehension - the people who put them together are beyond intelligent aren’t they?

I can't get an iPhone cable to last 3 years so goodness knows the engineering skill that goes into making these things. The Voyager missions are one of humankind's greatest achievements.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"I can't get an iPhone cable to last 3 years so goodness knows the engineering skill that goes into making these things. The Voyager missions are one of humankind's greatest achievements."

Well voyager was designed and built to last and USB cables et al are designed to fail after a short while so we keep buying them at inflated prices

"Pretty amazing to think that they’re SO far away, literally outside our solar system, and yet STILL sending data back that can be received and understood. It’s all too much for my comprehension - the people who put them together are beyond intelligent aren’t they? "

Yeah, Voyager 1 is nearly 14 billion miles away from Earth. That's some serious self-isolation.

» Add a new message to this topic