FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do an american speak english?

Do an american speak english?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

They do but with this I mean in sweden we say they speak american and not english, how do say it here?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"They do but with this I mean in sweden we say they speak american and not english, how do say it here?"

I'd say they use the English language, adjusted to cater for their own colloquial and cultural needs.

Never understand why people get hung up by Americanisms.

"They do but with this I mean in sweden we say they speak american and not english, how do say it here?

I'd say they use the English language, adjusted to cater for their own colloquial and cultural needs.

Never understand why people get hung up by Americanisms."

Yes. I found it to be quite interesting and yes they have made it to their version of it.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Surely in Sweden they speak Swedish? I know they are amazingly good at speaking English but Swedish is their language.

I've never though of anybody speaking "American". I do think of people speaking American English.

It's English, but not as we know it Jim

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Damn Yankees, can't even be arsed to put a u in colour

By *abasaurus RexMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

They actually use a lot of older English words still that we don’t. It’s obviously a branch or the same language.

It’s actually really interesting to think about what words the American English dictionary includes/lacks compares to British English.

Hmmmm

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"They actually use a lot of older English words still that we don’t. It’s obviously a branch or the same language.

It’s actually really interesting to think about what words the American English dictionary includes/lacks compares to British English.

Hmmmm "

Given that a lot of words, and pronunciations have been watered down over the years, would it be better if we all spoke Chaucerian?

They really do need to stop using the word spunk...I cringe

"Surely in Sweden they speak Swedish? I know they are amazingly good at speaking English but Swedish is their language.

I've never though of anybody speaking "American". I do think of people speaking American English. "

I know but in sweden you learn it that way with some nationalities and their languages, it kind of is a trick question too, but a fun one.

Shag, are you Swedish?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

[Removed by poster at 28/07/20 15:59:45]

Manchester (she/her)

They speak dialects of English.

"They speak dialects of English."

That's a good way of putting it, but isn't that applicable to England itself also? I've visited parts of England where I've no idea what they were saying!

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Bless your heart.

Manchester (she/her)

"They speak dialects of English.

That's a good way of putting it, but isn't that applicable to England itself also? I've visited parts of England where I've no idea what they were saying!"

Sure. There are multiple dialects of English in England. Why not?

My daughter is 1/4 Swedish, so we've spent a fair bit of time there. The Swedes we've met generally use an American style of English, but it's still English, isn't it?

"My daughter is 1/4 Swedish, so we've spent a fair bit of time there. The Swedes we've met generally use an American style of English, but it's still English, isn't it?

"

Well tbf it's a Swedish style of English, it just sounds a bit similar to American due to culture and media.....

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

They say erbs instead of herbs, always find that odd.

"They say erbs instead of herbs, always find that odd. "

Lolololol aluminum....

By *oxyvixen99Woman  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Rowt instead of route

That's a good way of putting it, but isn't that applicable to England itself also? I've visited parts of England where I've no idea what they were saying!

Sure. There are multiple dialects of English in England. Why not?"

It was a rhetorical question.

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

I think its much more than a regional variation. It differs in grammar, spelling, vocabulary, pronunciation and even meaning.

By *abasaurus RexMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"They actually use a lot of older English words still that we don’t. It’s obviously a branch or the same language.

Hmmmm

Given that a lot of words, and pronunciations have been watered down over the years, would it be better if we all spoke Chaucerian? "

Not at all. British English will always be the correct English I’m not saying they speak a purer form.

"My daughter is 1/4 Swedish, so we've spent a fair bit of time there. The Swedes we've met generally use an American style of English, but it's still English, isn't it?

Well tbf it's a Swedish style of English, it just sounds a bit similar to American due to culture and media..... "

Ooops, I totally misread the OP....

math and soder always get me

By *exhillboyMan  over a year ago

Vilamoura Portugal

That's a good way of putting it, but isn't that applicable to England itself also? I've visited parts of England where I've no idea what they were saying!"

Its called dumbing down, a prime example is the american word burglarize, a house that is broken in has been burgled by a burglar but the sloppy americans just add ize on the end because they think it makes them sound intelligent.

Its called dumbing down, a prime example is the american word burglarize, a house that is broken in has been burgled by a burglar but the sloppy americans just add ize on the end because they think it makes them sound intelligent."

Woahhhh, irrational American hating....?

Her Majesty the Queen said that there's no such thing like American English. There's English and there are mistakes

I find it really funny even though I'm not English native speaker and yes I do many mistakes and misspellings

"It's English, but not as we know it Jim "

This haha

Got to admit I do like the way American's simplify English when they get the chance. I mean does anyone really care if we use to practice or practise?

By *ittle-black-dressWoman  over a year ago

Stockport

So firstly, Americans speak English but NOT the Queen's as they call it, or more commonly known as British English "like what we do ere" lol

Interesting/useless fact, the official language in America was very nearly German since there was a big German community at the time of formation.

An American friend of mine used to say they do speak English "it's just bastardised M" lol

"So firstly, Americans speak English but NOT the Queen's as they call it, or more commonly known as British English "like what we do ere" lol

Interesting/useless fact, the official language in America was very nearly German since there was a big German community at the time of formation.

An American friend of mine used to say they do speak English "it's just bastardised M" lol"

Great interesting fact. Imaging Trump speaking German.

Manchester (she/her)

I think its much more than a regional variation. It differs in grammar, spelling, vocabulary, pronunciation and even meaning. "

... Which is exactly what a dialect is.

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan  over a year ago

Lincoln

It always makes me giggle when I'm choosing the installation language for a computer program, and the options are either the British flag with "English" next to it, or the American flag with "English (Simplified)"

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"So firstly, Americans speak English but NOT the Queen's as they call it, or more commonly known as British English "like what we do ere" lol

An American friend of mine used to say they do speak English "it's just bastardised M" lol"

They certainly debated having German as the official language, until someone pointed out that they were having the discussion in English.

American English was stuck in a stagnant backwater of language for centuries, whilst the British empire went out, painted the globe pink and borrowed words from around the globe.

'Trash' is often derided as a dreadful Americanism, but it was used by Shakespeare (in Othello). The queen's English moved on but American didn't.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I think its much more than a regional variation. It differs in grammar, spelling, vocabulary, pronunciation and even meaning.

... Which is exactly what a dialect is."

This is all there is too it really. Just like with Mexican Spanish, French Canadian. Australian English is no different from American English, in that they are both dialects of English.

You have the base language, then the national dialect (same language but variations based on the country) and then within national dialect you would have regional dialect.

Its a bit more technical than that but essentially that is how it works.

Eventually if enough words are changed to the point that a native English speaker no longer understands the majority of American English, then it would be a different language. That would be an extremely long way off from happening.

Well tbf it's a Swedish style of English, it just sounds a bit similar to American due to culture and media.....

Ooops, I totally misread the OP.... "

That is fine pal, do you visit sweden as she is some of it too?

Another example would be of how we say what they speak in australia and canada, it would be australiensiska and kanadensiska, the only country we say who speak english is to england.

Manchester (she/her)

"Another example would be of how we say what they speak in australia and canada, it would be australiensiska and kanadensiska, the only country we say who speak english is to england."

Australian English, Canadian English

"Another example would be of how we say what they speak in australia and canada, it would be australiensiska and kanadensiska, the only country we say who speak english is to england.

Australian English, Canadian English"

Yes that is how they would say they speak in the english system.

Interesting points everyone

Manchester (she/her)

"Another example would be of how we say what they speak in australia and canada, it would be australiensiska and kanadensiska, the only country we say who speak english is to england.

Australian English, Canadian EnglishYes that is how they would say they speak in the english system."

And the Australian and Canadian indigenous languages?

There is English and there is wrong...

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

We speak Americanese

By *hades Of GreyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

In my experience Americans generally speak better English than the English do.

"We speak Americanese "

"In my experience Americans generally speak better English than the English do. "

I guess that depends on how you were dragged up

Having worked with them a lot in my past life, some do but a lot don't, due to the history I think. So many different languages coming together and mingling right from the start is bound to form a "New language"...

Australian English, Canadian EnglishYes that is how they would say they speak in the english system.

And the Australian and Canadian indigenous languages?"

Yes and we call those languages the "ursprungliga språken"

Manchester (she/her)

Australian English, Canadian EnglishYes that is how they would say they speak in the english system.

And the Australian and Canadian indigenous languages?Yes and we call those languages the "ursprungliga språken" "

Ah. Yes, that makes sense.

I'd personally not want to attach English to Australia due to the colonial history. (Talking to what I know) That's problematic.

And the Australian and Canadian indigenous languages?Yes and we call those languages the "ursprungliga språken"

I'd personally not want to attach English to Australia due to the colonial history. (Talking to what I know) That's problematic."

Yes sometimes there are no direct translations from the swedish words and same here each country should have their own language name like they speak, american, austrailian, canadian and so on would be better I reckon too.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"They do but with this I mean in sweden we say they speak american and not english, how do say it here?"

I think its the difference between the written language and the spoken language..

written... almost the same (except for that pesky "u" thing)

spoken.. it is a lot further apart....

Manchester (she/her)

And the Australian and Canadian indigenous languages?Yes and we call those languages the "ursprungliga språken"

I'd personally not want to attach English to Australia due to the colonial history. (Talking to what I know) That's problematic.Yes sometimes there are no direct translations from the swedish words and same here each country should have their own language name like they speak, american, austrailian, canadian and so on would be better I reckon too."

Yes, of course different languages denote things in different ways.

But I think Australian English should be denoted as English, never "Australian", which should be reserved for the indigenous languages.

Hmmmm

Given that a lot of words, and pronunciations have been watered down over the years, would it be better if we all spoke Chaucerian? "

Forsook, thou speakst good sense, good my lord.

Manchester (she/her)

Languages evolve. It's interesting, not to be looked down our noses at.

By *inakiss64Woman  over a year ago

Near St Albans

American is from old English, it is us in England who has changed it, especially in the last 2 decades, it is changing all the time, 1940's 1950's alone seems like a different language to today's standard English on pronunciation and vocabularies

Manchester (she/her)

"They do but with this I mean in sweden we say they speak american and not english, how do say it here? American is from old English, it is us in England who has changed it, especially in the last 2 decades, it is changing all the time, 1940's 1950's alone seems like a different language to today's standard English on pronunciation and vocabularies"

Some of the variation tells you about when dialects diverge.

So when US English diverged the word "attorney" was in wide use in England. They retain it. By the time Australian English began to diverge, "solicitor" was in use in England, so that's the term in Australia.

By *ndy64hMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

They do English classes in school, so I guess they speak English.

I'd personally not want to attach English to Australia due to the colonial history. (Talking to what I know) That's problematic.Yes sometimes there are no direct translations from the swedish words and same here each country should have their own language name like they speak, american, austrailian, canadian and so on would be better I reckon too.

Yes, of course different languages denote things in different ways.

But I think Australian English should be denoted as English, never "Australian", which should be reserved for the indigenous languages."

Yes I think so to it should be that

From my understanding of the differences in pronunciation between American and British English is from the way Americans are taught to pronounce words phonetically as they appear in the written form (this was an attempt at bringing English in line with other languages where words phonetically spelt are more common).

Which is why Americans can pronounce Leicester as Lycester and the British pronounce it as Lester (I tend to think the spoken British version has changed while the written word hasn't).

In British and American English though there were no standard spellings or pronunciations until an actual dictionary had been published (in Britain 1755 and in America 1828) - thus you get a divergence in spelling (Shakespeare used both color and colour for example).

In Britain those who preferred the Norman or Anglo-French spellings had more influence (interestingly for USA 'el color' is Spanish for colour).

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

... Which is exactly what a dialect is."

Alreeeeet Lass, as I said earlier up the thread, sadly many dialects have been watered down over the years. When I grew up, I could tell the difference between an Ilkeston, Heanor, Ripley and a Belper dialect. Sadly that's not true anymore

Manchester (she/her)

Alreeeeet Lass, as I said earlier up the thread, sadly many dialects have been watered down over the years. When I grew up, I could tell the difference between an Ilkeston, Heanor, Ripley and a Belper dialect. Sadly that's not true anymore "

Definitely. Travel and globalisation.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Alreeeeet Lass, as I said earlier up the thread, sadly many dialects have been watered down over the years. When I grew up, I could tell the difference between an Ilkeston, Heanor, Ripley and a Belper dialect. Sadly that's not true anymore

Definitely. Travel and globalisation."

Well let me tell you Sheila, after you've slung another prawn on the barbie,(this is ma best Aussie accent ), I think a lot of it has got to do with people watching global TV innit Sis

Manchester (she/her)

Croikey

They mock our northern accents and diolects like southern people do.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Croikey "

Have you ever been to Éire?

Manchester (she/her)

Yeah nah, but some o' me rellies come from there

"In my experience Americans generally speak better English than the English do."
I am not so sure about that, posh english is the best accent like in jane eyre.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"In my experience Americans generally speak better English than the English do.I am not so sure about that, posh english is the best accent like in jane eyre."

Well they certainly speak louder English, you can usually hear them a few tables away

"In my experience Americans generally speak better English than the English do.I am not so sure about that, posh english is the best accent like in jane eyre.

Well they certainly speak louder English, you can usually hear them a few tables away "

That is right, they do that too.

» Add a new message to this topic