FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > tv licence

tv licence

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

just had a very nasty ketter from the bbc, im not paying it as i dont watch live tv, how dare they threaten me

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

letter even

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The BBC loves to fuck us

I thought if you had a TV you had to pay it. Has that changed then?

By *aul1973HullMan  over a year ago

East Hull

I havent had a TV license for years, I registered with them to declare that i dont watch live tv & they havent bothered me since. Too much crap on TV and none of it worth paying to see, I only watch DVD's & Youtube.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Quite interesting if it's still up to date

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2019/feb/21/how-can-i-avoid-paying-a-tv-licence-fee

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"I havent had a TV license for years, I registered with them to declare that i dont watch live tv & they havent bothered me since. Too much crap on TV and none of it worth paying to see, I only watch DVD's & Youtube."

Because they stream live events on YouTube you might need a licence but how they'd prove it is another thing

You'd have to be pretty unlucky but I guess they could look at your viewing history if they wanted to

East Hull

"I havent had a TV license for years, I registered with them to declare that i dont watch live tv & they havent bothered me since. Too much crap on TV and none of it worth paying to see, I only watch DVD's & Youtube.

Because they stream live events on YouTube you might need a licence but how they'd prove it is another thing

You'd have to be pretty unlucky but I guess they could look at your viewing history if they wanted to"

I dont watch anything that would normally be 'televised' and if the wanted to view my viewing history im pretty sure they would have to obtain a court order.

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

Also the BBC are contributing new original content to this britbox streaming pay service. So they are usi g the licence fee to make content then charging people to view it.

Never been a better time to scrap it, the way our viewing habits have changed its a wonder its still here at all.

If you genuinely dont watch any live tv not just BBC you can legitimately opt out of paying theres a form to fill in on line. I even got a rebate. Theyll still send you letters..just bin em. Ignore anyone from the inforcement dept if they call. Do not even say hello. Just close the door. If youre on FB look up Active Resistance to the License Fee group

"I thought if you had a TV you had to pay it. Has that changed then?"

Not if you dont watch live tv. Say if you only watch Netflix or Amazon Prime you dont need to pay a license fee. Theres an online form on internet to opt out.

By *atBottomGirlsWoman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

I don't even own a TV and they keep telling me via email that they will come check up on me to make sure. Whatever.

I've been told you are under no obligation to let anyone into your home to check (and they do insist on coming in). Is that correct?

By *lap.n.tickleCouple  over a year ago

sunny Manchester :)

I had them come round to my door years ago. He had his say at the door i had mine. He filled out some form saying they would prosecute me which he then asked me to sign it which i refused to do. I didn't hear anymore from them. I am talking some time ago here but my belief is you don't sign jack shit they can't do jack shit.

East Hull

"I don't even own a TV and they keep telling me via email that they will come check up on me to make sure. Whatever.

I've been told you are under no obligation to let anyone into your home to check (and they do insist on coming in). Is that correct?"

Television licensing officers can only enter your premises if they have a search warrant. If you have no television it may be in your interests to let them see for themselves, but they may make repeated visits to re-check. They may also read you your rights and threaten court action if they suspect you to be using your TV without a license when you do need one.

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

"just had a very nasty ketter from the bbc, im not paying it as i dont watch live tv, how dare they threaten me"

Did you try blocking them and report to admin

On a serious note tho the TV licence is a joke paying money just to keep the good people of the BBC in a job

By *atBottomGirlsWoman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

"I don't even own a TV and they keep telling me via email that they will come check up on me to make sure. Whatever.

I've been told you are under no obligation to let anyone into your home to check (and they do insist on coming in). Is that correct?

Television licensing officers can only enter your premises if they have a search warrant. If you have no television it may be in your interests to let them see for themselves, but they may make repeated visits to re-check. They may also read you your rights and threaten court action if they suspect you to be using your TV without a license when you do need one."

Thanks!

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

They have no more rights than the manager from Asda turning up to check your freezer for a stolen fish. Tell them to fuck off, if you don’t want what they are selling, pesky salesmen

I've never paid it myself and nobody ever turned up, but maybe that was because I lived in a rough area.

I have now moved and I'm getting letters addressed to the occupier of my house. I'm going to ignore them and see how it goes.

Haven’t paid one in nearly 10 years .. last one that came to door .. never came again ...

if it’s addressed to the present occupier .. then they do not know who lives at that address nor can they prove you watch live tv ..

Anyone remember the tv van ? .. scaremongery there !

It's only the BBC channels you don't need to watch as other channels use adverts to fund themselves

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

"It's only the BBC channels you don't need to watch as other channels use adverts to fund themselves"

It’s not true , it’s a tv licence for broadcast infra and bbc tv and radio content including funding radio 4 and bbc ws. All those antennas around the globe suck up quite a bit of diesel

By *etwifeandhim69Couple  over a year ago

Darlington

[Removed by poster at 06/08/20 00:59:53]

By *etwifeandhim69Couple  over a year ago

Darlington

Ahem!

You have no idea how bad the scaremongering was but there was a smidgen of truth about the vans!

There are ways and means to detect if certain electronic devices are in use in a certain area. Or there was with the old CRT TVs and yes, vans really did exist (but I'll come back to this).

I can let you all in on a old (and possibly current) secret that some on Fab will no doubt know.

Back in the mid to late 90s I used to sell TV's. For every TV sold I categorically had to take the persons name and address and forward that information via post to the TV licensing bureau on a weekly basis (this was all before the internet became what it is now).

The company I worked for just told staff to say it was for "warranty purposes" but the reality was, it was all logged on a paper forms then sent off the TV licensing bureau. Failure to log the information meant the loss of my job, a potential £2000 fine and time in prison....or so we where threatened.

So back then, and I assume now, anyone selling you a TV still has to log that information.

My assumption always was and still is that they cross referenced addresses with sales of TVs and chase up addresses that did not have licenses. As for the vans, yeah they exist, or did (saw a couple years ago). I even think a few might have had the equipment to detect RF outputs from old CRT TVs back in the day. These days however, how do you tell an TV from a computer monitor?

So....yes, give a firm middle finger to the TV license and the BBC if you don't watch the BBC. Unless you're a pub or some such with a TV going, they have no legal right to do anything without a warrant. If they knock on your door, tell them to jog on and wait for the unlikely court summons where they have to prove you are watching TV (if you are) rather than streaming services.

Personally, I do agree with paying for something if you're using it (so if you like Eastenders, keep paying). But if you have nothing to do with the BBC or terrestrial TV in general, get rid of the license. The internet changed everything and it's high time the BBC caught up with that.

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"I havent had a TV license for years, I registered with them to declare that i dont watch live tv & they havent bothered me since. Too much crap on TV and none of it worth paying to see, I only watch DVD's & Youtube."

They’re coming for you.....lol.

Don't wanna seem dumb but why do we pay TV licence

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Easy to notify them. It's 1 of the private companies that takes on reminders and hassling people, like the companies that have got £millions from the government for covid-19 related 'work'

By *abasaurus RexMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I’m debating getting rid of mine. I effectively pay £150 odd a year to watch one, or two series a year on iPlayer, and it would actually be cheaper for me to buy them as box sets through amazon etc.

Highly tempted to take the aerial down in the loft and cancel my license.

By *weety321Woman  over a year ago

nottingham

This is on the tv licence website:

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel

watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

"This is on the tv licence website:

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel

watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder."

It is the same racket in the Republic of IRL. You "must" have a TV licence for any device capable of transmitting a TV channel. So even if you can't receive TV channels you still gotta pay the licence fee(€160)

"Its the TV that's licenced"

They are trying to extend licencing to cover tablets and phones from 2024 as well, and the government being as honorable as they are, I'm sure the opposition will be minimal.

Snakes don't hiss, they "work" in The Dàil.

So we all agree .. they can get fucked ? .. ..

By *ovegames42Man  over a year ago

london

I've been told you are under no obligation to let anyone into your home to check (and they do insist on coming in). Is that correct?"

Unless they have a warrant, then no entry

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I have just lost my right to a free T.V license, but do watch live T.V. so will have to cough up.

My daughter on the other hand has 6 T.V.s in her house none of which are set up to watch live T.V so no license.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

If you are only watching Netflix or amazon

You do not require a TV license

"It's only the BBC channels you don't need to watch as other channels use adverts to fund themselves

It’s not true , it’s a tv licence for broadcast infra and bbc tv and radio content including funding radio 4 and bbc ws. All those antennas around the globe suck up quite a bit of diesel

"

so as I said BBC channels, thanks for agreeing with me

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

Now I’m really worried ...... I didn’t realise you needed a licence to be a TV!!! - guilty on that score!

But perhaps being serious .... I do pay mine, and think it’s only fair.... just like council Tax, you may not have children, but you pay for it as part of that etc ... I do think for most who claim they don’t watch it ... but do really, it’s just an excuse not to pay it!

What I do however have a problem with is Britbox ... having paid to watch programmes through my licence ... or endure adverts on ITV - I strongly object to then have to pay again to do so .... I do have a choice on that and won’t join in ..... but great shame I’ll miss the new series of Spitting Image!

R x

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

If EVERYONE cancelled their tv license, they would have to go commercial - so the more people that cancel, the better it is for everyone.

Just pay your license and be a fully participating adult in society

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

When I brought my telly in June I was asked my address but I was ahead of him and showed my license he didn't have a clue what to do and had to get his boss who laughed

Best one I heard was a bloke had an enforcer type guy knock on his door, regarding his non payment of TV licence. The bloke told the gentleman that he did not have a TV, to which gentleman pointed out to the licence dodger, "well I don't believe you, there's a satellite dish right there", while pointing at side of the blokes house. Without even missing a beat, the bloke replied "Well I've got milk in ma fridge, doesn't mean av got a fuckin cow in ma back garden!", door slams in the gentlemans face.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

If you dont watch live TV then you do not need a license. They'll try every trick in the book but just ignore them. They're even going after pensioners now because nearly a million people have cancelled their licence

It's high time the BBC became a subscription service. £157 a year for endless repeats and biased news reporting. I don't think so

I dont know where the 3 billion a year they receive from the license fee goes but it certainly isn't being used to make watchable programs

no only if its able to recieve live programs

"If you dont watch live TV then you do not need a license. They'll try every trick in the book but just ignore them. They're even going after pensioners now because nearly a million people have cancelled their licence

It's high time the BBC became a subscription service. £157 a year for endless repeats and biased news reporting. I don't think so

I dont know where the 3 billion a year they receive from the license fee goes but it certainly isn't being used to make watchable programs "

this in spades

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"Just pay your license and be a fully participating adult in society "

We never watch live TV, so why should we pay for something we don't use or agree with.

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Nobody speaks about BBC on here

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

My personal view is that the Beeb is on it's way out... They are a grave yard!

Would not be surprised to see them bought out in the near future by the likes of Netflix/Amazon/Sky/Fox?

Give Gary Lineker the full Ray Charles (Hit The Road Jack), he's on crap loads of money. Sack him and get someone a lot cheaper.....

This is where the money is going:-

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48826586

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Same here, but I don't pay any TV licence. Its not worth a penny, full of biased left content. Never will pay for one again. But I don't watch TV anyway, I download everything I want to watch.

They have no legal right to enter your property only to few from outside.

» Add a new message to this topic